Non-motoring > Paying the full fare would've been worth it to... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 13

Paying the full fare would've been worth it to... - zippy
avoid this...

tinyurl.com/9m8ypaa

Never mess with inspectors on the Sussex to London line. They are liable to throw you off and if they are in a good mood they will slow the train first ;-)
 Paying the full fare would've been worth it to... - Dutchie
George can afford the fair zippy he aint a pleb and he knows his place.>;)
 Paying the full fare would've been worth it to... - Westpig
Just goes to show how ridiculous our system has become.

How many other very senior govt officials in the world would not be allowed to fly, use a limousine or travel in first class at public expense.

You could justify it on their security alone, let alone security of confidential information and the ability to network in private.

No wonder they fiddle their expenses when the second most important politician we have at the moment cannot be re-imbursed for a first class rail ticket.
 Paying the full fare would've been worth it to... - Bromptonaut
The answer here is because call me Dave tries too hard to make it look as if we're all in it together.

Of course a Minister and his immediate staff should be allowed to travel first. Apart from personal security he needs quiet and the chance to work on laptop or papers without folks peering over his shoulder.

But if he's going to watch a vid with his aide then he should go second with plebs. As I understand that was actually the plan but because he missed his booked train from Wilmslow his seat booking was lost. Next rtrain was full in standard His aide paid for an upgrade, presumably using a 'government credit card'.

Were you allowed to travel first as an Inspector? Civil Servants of grade SEO and above were until about 5 years ago when a work based definition or need to travel with Ministers etc.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 20 Oct 12 at 16:47
 Paying the full fare would've been worth it to... - Focusless
. (you edited it!)
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 20 Oct 12 at 16:48
>> Were you allowed to travel first as an Inspector?

No. But there again I didn't achieve that heady height* until 2005 and a lot had changed then compared to the good old days.

*there are 8 ranks higher than that in the Met (6 in the counties)

Paying the full fare would've been worth it to... - R.P.
there are 8 ranks higher than that in the Met (6 in the counties)

Richard Brunstrom had an idea about that - he wanted a similar set-up to Tesco - only six ranks separating the most lowly shelf stacker and the Chief Exec. He also saw Toyota's hierarchial system as something the Police should strive for. He had some sane moments apparently...
 Paying the full fare would've been worth it to... - Zero

>> also saw Toyota's hierarchial system as something the Police should strive for. He had some
>> sane moments apparently...
>

He wanted to live in, and manage the force from Japan?
>> The answer here is because call me Dave tries too hard to make it look
>> as if we're all in it together.
>>
>> Of course a Minister and his immediate staff should be allowed to travel first. Apart
>> from personal security he needs quiet and the chance to work on laptop or papers
>> without folks peering over his shoulder.

I agree. If I were ever to become a Govt minister, i'd be saying "Where's the Jag, I expect it and so does the public".
 Paying the full fare would've been worth it to... - Bromptonaut
>> I agree. If I were ever to become a Govt minister, i'd be saying
>> "Where's the Jag, I expect it and so does the public".

Westie and i agree????

Will somebody rescue me from this parallel universe.
 Paying the full fare would've been worth it to... - Zero
>> >> I agree. If I were ever to become a Govt minister, i'd be saying
>> >> "Where's the Jag, I expect it and so does the public".
>>
>>
>> Westie and i agree????
>>
>> Will somebody rescue me from this parallel universe.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSRm80WzZk
 Paying the full fare would've been worth it to... - SteelSpark
Watching a comedy DVD at 3pm on a public train..tut, tut...

Yes, he may possibly have worked all night, and yes it might be a very stressful job, and yes he may only be human...but he'd do better to keep up appearances...

He does tend to come across as smug, and a bit of an old school Tory, detached from the great unwashed, and this kind of thing doesn't help.

Of course, if he were doing a sterling job of turning around the economy, it might be a bit different.

Couldn't he have sat looking at a binder full of important looking papers for a bit, gone home, closed the curtains, popped the DVD in, and watched it with a whisky in one hand and a cigar in the other?

He does realise that he's a politician, right? He might want to try harder at playing politics...

Paying the full fare would've been worth it to... - NortonES2
I doubt if he cares what his image might be. He is well used to doing exactly as he wishes. Comes with the inheritance....
 Paying the full fare would've been worth it to... - Armel Coussine
George Osborne looks to me like a well-brought-up but fairly clueless snub-nosed schoolboy. I have this urge to pat him paternally on the head and urge him to concentrate on his homework.

Naturally he seems a bit out of his depth, more so than the Prime Minister who has teeth. But who wouldn't be in that job? I certainly would.
Latest Forum Posts