Non-motoring > Nokia phone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 16

Nokia phone - MD
Morning all. Poss one for Zero? Current phone is a 6500 slide. Despite it apparently being the worst Nokia has made it has provided sterling service. However when I needed to save info to put back into the phone at a later date I used Nokia suite which I presume the more techie of you know about. However since then the phone does just as it please with my info. Sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not. Also I can access the phone book and names that I know are in there suddenly aren’t and then miraculously they appear. Caller display has decided not to show some names only the number and yes I do have the settings right.

Now I need to start using a new phone as the speaker is now shot. It is another Nokia, a 6303. Because of the corruption I do not intend to take info from the old phone across and I don’t trust Nokia suite. Others have said this too. As well as the info in Nokia suite I seem to have saved a folder in the PC which is titled Nokia Communication centre and I have all of my info’ stored there. The names are all stored individually as .vcf files but I guess that it is still to do with the Nokia suite. Is it possible that I can just take all of those files across to the new phone via the usb cable supplied or am I courting yet another disaster?

Best regards…………Martin
 Nokia phone - VxFan
>> Caller display has decided not to show some names only the number and yes I do have the settings right.

Martin, has this phone the option to display saved numbers on the phone; on the phone & SIM; or just the SIM when you look in the address book?

I know on some of the older Nokia's if you've got the same numbers saved on the phone and SIM and you have the setting to display both when looking through the address book, it can stop people's names & numbers appearing when they call you.

Although Nokia PC Suite can be tempremental, I've not had a problem of numbers being lost. Saying that though, I had a friend call me this morning saying it's just happened to him after downloading the lastest version of Pc Suite.

Nokia phone - Zero
Martin, you need to save all your contacts as vcard on the PC. they can be used by many synching programes.
 Nokia phone - teabelly
Think that might be a bug with nokia suite... loads of people that used it said when they even backed up their phones they had that problem. Check out the nokia discussion boards. Symbian is a buggy heap of manure a lot of the time. I have lost count of how often I have to reset my n86 and how often it just goes stupid for no reason. Luckily the source code has just been made open source so hopefully some decent developers will get hold of it instead of the apes at nokia.

There is an import data thingy which uses bluetooth from your old phone. Worth a go? Could just delete it if it is no good. I don't bother and just sync contacts with my computer and then add the new phone and sync via bluetooth that way.

Does your mobile provider have a contacts sync system? Or you could do it the long way if you can send contacts one by one via bluetooth from the old phone to the new one...

You could try copying the vcard thingies the new phone and see if it would import them as new contacts.

One thing you have to watch is that sim card contacts can't have as long names or as much info as phone memory contacts. This is why some end up truncated... I always have mine in phone memory.
 Nokia phone - BobbyG
Martin, I use Nokia Suite with my N95 on a daily basis and it has been absolutely magnificent. Indeed when I switched from my old phone to my new one I simply backed up the contents and then downloaded them. Couldn't have been simpler.

Some of the issues you describe may be down to SIM/Phone memory. I have all my info stored in phone only. Sometimes if same number is stored in both then only the number will be shown on the display.

But Nokia Suite works great for me, synching with Outlook contacts, calendars etc
 Nokia phone - bathtub tom
SWMBOs got a Nokia 1661, on orange, that's showing a funny symbol in the top left, next to the signal strength bars.

It's a horizontal bar, with a vertical line going up from the RH end ending with an arrow head pointing up.

Browsing search engines (the included instructions are useless) it would seem to be something to do with call forwarding. She never has the call messaging service on (it's PAYG - have you seen the cost?) nor are calls forwarded (AFAIK).

We went to the Canaries last week, could it be something to do with that?
 Nokia phone - Zero
she needs to go to the phone settings and turn off call forwarding. Or leave it if she wants
 Nokia phone - MD
Update. I am going to SHOOT someone, something or myself!! What is it about ruddy phones that take up so much time?

Decided to take the plunge and loaded the last Nokia suite contents into the new phone. Then created a new file from the old phone just in case there was a recording or whatever I wanted to access.

Called Orange, registered new SIM. Clever clogs here had part customised new phone last week. I'll just finish off the job I thought BEFORE registering the SIM. Sorted the security code. Right, that's OK. Now I'll sort the PIN code. No Stock PIN code info in book. Try 0000 or 1111 a few times and yes you've guessed it, I now need a PUK code. Speak to a lovely Girl/Lady from oop north, gives me PUK code. Enter PUK code and 'it' goes back to pin code request, enter my new pin code, goes to verify, I verify, rejects it and asks for PUK code. I enter PUK code and goes back to Pin code request and verify, chucks it out. Phone nice Lady, she says it won't take it as SIM not registered. Blooming phone in a cycle of puk code/pin code. No back button and cannot get out of cycle. Next thing it locks the SIM and I am now without a phone till new SIM arrives.

New SIM "Can take up to 4 days to arrive" WHY??

Right now I want to break something!

Thanks to all of you for your input

Yours, about to open a bottle of something!

MD
 Nokia phone - teabelly
The pin/puk thing is a pain in the colon. I actually read the destructions to find out the correct code. Only time I look at the instruction manual for a phone! Often I end up googling for it instead as the manuals often miss out this vital information.

I'd recommend destroying the locked sim in a novel and entertaining manner to cheer yourself up :-)

Nokia phone - Zero
In a microwave is the way. It smokes in a very satisfying manner.
 Nokia phone - MD
NO. I think it should be thrown from my Clay Pigeon trap and then blasted from the skies. The only problem I can't see with this is that the red mist (Hardy's Crest) is affecting my vision. Soon I may have trouble with my worms and my p ispronunciation.

Fanks to veryone 4 vere inpoot and borax to tecnoligee...hic

Me.
 Nokia phone - Runfer D'Hills
I'd "disinvent" incoming calls on mobile phones and incoming email too if I could. The only exceptions would be if it was someone I wanted to contact in which case they would be legally obliged to respond........
 Nokia phone - Zero
if you disinvented incoming emails and mobile phone calls, you wouldnt get their replies.

You need to rethink this piece of legislation there humph.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 11 May 10 at 21:09
 Nokia phone - Runfer D'Hills
Needs work, granted.
 Nokia phone - Zero
Im sure the civil service can work on it for you.
 Nokia phone - Skoda
>> Current phone is a 6500 slide. Despite it apparently being the worst Nokia has made

No, that'd be the N97!

How did they go from an epic do-everything handset like the N95 to the trashy N97 :-(

N95 -> HTC Android thing -> N97 -> iPhone in about 4 months. Sticking with the iPhone now, happy chappy.
 Nokia phone - Roger.
I understand that Gordon Brown was an expert in Nokias: perhaps now he has more time on his hands he could help?
Latest Forum Posts