Non-motoring > 'sno joke y'know.. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 67

'sno joke y'know.. - Runfer D'Hills
OK, let me be the one to start this year's tyre debate / panic ...

:-)

travel.aol.co.uk/2012/10/21/its-going-to-be-a-warm-week-but-snow-is-forecast-for-friday/
 'sno joke y'know.. - Old Navy
That's not fair Humph, with your heritage you can handle it. It is the likes of Zero who will be immobilised by 1/8" of snow. :-)
 'sno joke y'know.. - Ian (Cape Town)
what is 'snow'?

Nut having said that, there were thousands of cars damaged by bigger-than-golf-ball-sized hailstones in Johannesburg last week.

'sno joke y'know.. - Zero
>> That's not fair Humph, with your heritage you can handle it. It is the likes
>> of Zero who will be immobilised by 1/8" of snow. :-)

Not in the front wheel drive lancer with sensible width tyres he wont,

As for drivers of LACs with pork barrels for wheels, and all the drive through the rear. Now there is a challenge.
Challenge? Not really. A little more care needed for sure, but a challenge? Come now.

:-)
wel let us know 'umph, I am sure you will be candid and 'onest when it 'appens.
 'sno joke y'know.. - -
Did i imagine it or was there an ad on telly last night or one before for Continental Winter Contact tyres.

Hee hee, let battle commence. Gladiators...Ready !

:-))
No idea, but humph will need a selection of tyres in a myriad number of sizes. depending on which wheel he feels needs them. 400 quid a pop too i hear.
 'sno joke y'know.. - crocks
>> Did i imagine it or was there an ad on telly last night or one before for Continental Winter Contact tyres.

No you didn't imagine it. I saw it and thought of the discussions on here.
 'sno joke y'know.. - Dog
Sposed to be up to (down to) -18 this winter ... I read in The Mail.

'sno joke y'know.. - Fenlander
Those Conti Winter Contacts were the winners in the latest Auto Express winter tyre test in 10th Oct magazine. As usual the Wingyangs were at the bottom.
 'sno joke y'know.. - Dog
What, this one: www.autoexpress.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/60709/winter-tyre-test-2012/page/0/1
 'sno joke y'know.. - -
>> What, this one: www.autoexpress.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/60709/winter-tyre-test-2012/page/0/1
>>

Am i losing the plot or what, i can't make head nor tail out of those test results.
 'sno joke y'know.. - Dog
Scroll down for page one gord, I haven't read all the test results but - if I was looking to buy some new rubber I would certainly be looking at the Continental ContiWinterContact.

The Nokian WRD3's came out quite well I thought, I have the WRG2's as you know, which are an "Ultra High Performance Winter tyre" (according to tyrereviews) and they have been as good as gold so far.

All I need now is to test them on some snow :)
 'sno joke y'know.. - Lygonos
>> www.suzuki.co.uk/cars/owners/promotions/winter-weather-tyres

£169 each for the Swift?

I guess this year will be someone else's turn to do housecalls in 18" of snow.

I'll stay in the surgery and deal with the patients who come down (which won't be many!)
Joking aside, a trick we used to use in pre-historic Scotland was to keep a few old bungees in the car in winter. If stuck in soft snow you just wrap them through the wheels and round the tyres to make very primitive snow "chains". A couple per driven wheel is enough but don't expect them to last more than a a few hundred yards. However, that's usually enough to get out of a deep bit.
 'sno joke y'know.. - bathtub tom
I've done the same with lengths of rope tied with a damn great knot on the tread.
>> I'll stay in the surgery and deal with the patients who come down (which won't
>> be many!)
>>

If they are fit enough to get to the surgery in those (or any) conditions there won't be much wrong with them.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 22 Oct 12 at 16:52
>> >> I'll stay in the surgery and deal with the patients who come down (which
>> won't
>> >> be many!)
>> >>
>>
>> If they are fit enough to get to the surgery in those (or any) conditions
>> there won't be much wrong with them.

or they will be rocking up with broken wrists and hips gained on the way there.
>> If they are fit enough to get to the surgery in those (or any) conditions there won't be much wrong with them

Ahahahahahahaaaaaaa

Mercy!
 'sno joke y'know.. - rtj70
This winter might end up interesting with 18" wheels (lowish profile) on my VW. Last year of course it was fine. It would have really struggled the two winters before. Tyres are fairly wide too.

Tend to work from home a lot so no big deal. At least mine is front wheel drive.
>> Ahahahahahahaaaaaaa
>>
>> Mercy!
>>

My GP says that the secret is spotting the dangerous stuff, he did it twice for me, but I only made it to the surgery for one of them.
The majority of life-threatening illnesses present with a walking, talking undistressed patient.

Bad doctors treat symptoms, good doctors keep an open mind on each patient contact whether it's a 'phone call, home visit or consultation in the surgery.

Sometimes we miss stuff - the 'retrospectoscope' has 20-20 vision ;-)
 'sno joke y'know.. - No FM2R
Lygonos,

Are you a doctor? If so I have a question I'd like to e-mail you. Worry not, its not about a medical condition!

Perhaps you'd email me if you feel inclined.

Feel free to ignore, no offence and all that.

Mark.
You ain't from around here, are ye boy?

mail sent to your outlook address ;-)
 'sno joke y'know.. - No FM2R
>>mail sent to your outlook address ;-)

Thanks for the email Lygonos, but I don't reckon margarine and hazel nuts would work.
Just use a false name when you go to A&E, it'll be fine.
 'sno joke y'know.. - Manatee
Ha ha! Am I the first?

I put the "winter wheels" with the all season Pirellis on today when I heard it was going to be cold next week - not because I was expecting snow, I'd just rather do it in the warm and reasonably dry.

Lo, and there was a headless screw right in the middle of the tread of the tyre I put on the front right. My pal was in his workshop down the road and came down to pick it up to fix it. Yanked the screw out, no leak so just put it on. I'll watch the pressure just in case, the alternative being to make a hole and then plug it.
 'sno joke y'know.. - Dave_
>> Ha ha! Am I the first?

Almost - I had the Mondeo reshod with four partworns a couple of weeks back... It's pot luck on the day, and I came out with two Conti WinterContacts on the front. 40 quid a tyre fitted.
Remember you need 4+mm for winter tyres to do their thing!

One of my friends got a set of these for his Mondeo a couple of years ago - worked a treat in the deep snow - he managed to finish off his DMF pulling his mate's Audi A4 quattro out of his driveway.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NffCyVcO3ew

Wonder what his insurer would say if he had a crash tho...
Here's my fave ad for the same product (Japanese version)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6eYETwtKmI

SPIIIIIIKKKKKKKEEEEEEEE SSSPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIDDDDDDAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

(edit: or is it Korean?)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 22 Oct 12 at 21:52
 'sno joke y'know.. - Ted

Winter tyres ?........Schminter tyres !

Sits smugly in the driving seat of his 4WD on chunky rubber and pooh-poohs the weather reports.

Doesn't help the stopping on ice, tho'

Ted
 'sno joke y'know.. - Dave
Mine go on this weekend. Not because they're needed yet, but the summer ones (old winter tyres with the studs pulled out) are shot, and the winter tyres will only have to last this winter before the car goes to the crusher.
Last edited by: Dave on Mon 22 Oct 12 at 22:00
 'sno joke y'know.. - Fursty Ferret
>>
>>
>> Winter tyres ?........Schminter tyres !
>>
>>
>> Doesn't help the stopping on ice, tho'
>>
>> Ted
>>

Actually it makes a surprising difference. Because the rubber is softer and each block has multiple cuts in it, the ice is gripped by hundreds of sharp edges.

Wouldn't have believed it until I tried it myself.
>> Remember you need 4+mm for winter tyres to do their thing!

I could *almost* stretch to 4 decent new ones before the MoT, but not quite. Hence the partworn route to get it through the test and, as a bonus, the winter. My tyre situation was similar to Dave's:

>> the summer ones ... are shot, and the winter tyres will only have to last this winter

although the Mondeo's not quite crusher-bound yet. Expect 4 new Michelins/Pirellis to go on in the Spring.

It's had a few mechanical issues lately, starting with a leaking water pump (proper Ford antifreeze purchased, new pump to follow this month) and MoT advisory inner front brake pads (new ones in the post) and culminating in a tow home from the AA when the starter motor petulantly expired after work on Friday last. On the plus side, the dead starter was refreshingly free of powdered DMF when it was removed, so at 144k there's plenty of life in the pockmarked old bus yet.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Mon 22 Oct 12 at 22:50
 'sno joke y'know.. - rtj70
Just hope your part worn winter tyres have more than 4mm of tread Dave. Legal limit for a tyre as you know is 1.6mm. Otherwise they're not going to be any good as winter tyres.
Just remember to put them on the back axle.

Muwahahahahahaaaaa......
>> Just hope your part worn winter tyres have more than 4mm of tread Dave. Legal
>> limit for a tyre as you know is 1.6mm. Otherwise they're not going to be
>> any good as winter tyres.

Let me know what your leasing company says when you say you want your tyres changed with 4mm left.
 'sno joke y'know.. - L'escargot
"As the Saharan dust blows in, we can expect to see red-tinged sand stains on cars as a result of what's known as 'blood rain', which was seen in Holland yesterday."

It's times like this that I'm pleased I've got a red car.
 'sno joke y'know.. - Cliff Pope

>> It's times like this that I'm pleased I've got a red car.
>>
>>

So that the rescue teams can spot you when they are digging through the snow drift you mean?

Man found dead in car. White Volvo buried a month unnoticed in snow drift.
 'sno joke y'know.. - Dog
>>> Man Snail found dead in car. White Volvo buried a month unnoticed in snow drift<<<

'sno joke y'know.. - VxFan
>> Snail found dead in car.

Because he ran out of Shell fuel.
 'sno joke y'know.. - CGNorwich
Thought it spent its life in the garage ;-)

What news on its replacement - have you plumped yet ?
 'sno joke y'know.. - R.P.
No winter tyres for me this year, I have the X1 ones stacked in the garage. I had thought of taking them to a tyre fitter to see if they'd fit the 3 series, I still may. But the Fiesta will be the weapon of choice in the snow. Anglesey has a good record for snow (apart from 2 years ago) - it's little tyres should be ok.

I remembered this photo when typing the above.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8447023.stm

Top bit of Anglesey seemed snow free even at the height of the trouble !
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 24 Oct 12 at 16:34

>>But the Fiesta will be the weapon of choice in the snow - it's little tyres should be ok.

What if it's icy?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUZux60Wer0

;-)
Go sick.
Yeah, Duvet day. Whats the worse they can do, Sack you?
 'sno joke y'know.. - NortonES2
Average temperature round these parts for the whole of 2011: 8. 83 °C. Could leave the winters on all 12 months of winter:)
Thats like saying "most of the time its light so I will take the headlight bulbs out"!
 'sno joke y'know.. - NortonES2
Which is perfectly legal. So long as you only use it during daylight. But, the point is, some parts of the UK have quite low temperatures, even though the SE denizens are in woeful climatic ignorance.
>>Which is perfectly legal.

And no need for bulbs in the brakes either as long as you only use the handbrake.

Or indicator bulbs if you have a BMW....
 'sno joke y'know.. - Pat
What RP really means is that he's very much like me.

A good driver who doesn't wimp out at the first snowflake
Can handle the car no matter what the weather throws at him.
And has more sense than money.

Pat
I'm joking about throwing a sicky, never have - well only once, and no-one died. CAB has a common sense view of the world. I guess if I asked nicely they'd let me work at a nearby branch...behind the hated Asda.

My job job isn't exactly essential - in theory it can be done from home.

Thanks Pat :-)
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 24 Oct 12 at 18:19
 'sno joke y'know.. - swiss tony
>> Which is perfectly legal. So long as you only use it during daylight.

WRONG.
If lights are fitted, they must work.
 'sno joke y'know.. - Number_Cruncher
>>If lights are fitted, they must work.

That's not quite true ST.

The lamps may be fitted, but, if they are masked, painted over, or permanently disconnected, they do not have to work, the vehicle can only be used in daylight, and an advisory would be given at the MOT recording this configuration of the vehicle.

It's odd - extremely odd - but, it's possible.

>> >>If lights are fitted, they must work.
>>
>> That's not quite true ST.
>>
>> The lamps may be fitted, but, if they are masked, painted over, or permanently disconnected, they do not have to work, the vehicle can only be used in daylight, and
>> an advisory would be given at the MOT recording this configuration of the vehicle.
>>
>> It's odd - extremely odd - but, it's possible.
>>
I was of the understanding that, for instance in the case of a motorcycle where lights were fitted, but since removed, that the only legal way, was to remove the lights, the wiring, and the switches?

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/4/made
See 4 (4)(b)

NC relates to 4 (4)(a)

Anyway, removing a bulb is not legal.
Last edited by: swiss tony on Wed 24 Oct 12 at 22:33
 'sno joke y'know.. - VxFan
>> If lights are fitted, they must work.

Not for the MOT they don't.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_110.htm

"Additional or optional lamps are not included in the inspection."

eg, front fog lights and spot lights.
The only reason they would fail an MOT is if they were to cause an injury to a pedestrian, eg broken glass.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 25 Oct 12 at 01:30
>> "As the Saharan dust blows in, we can expect to see red-tinged sand stains on cars"

Had that as part of the hailstone apocalypse on June 28th. The next day you couldn't properly see all the dents all over my car until the sand had been washed off.
 'sno joke y'know.. - Fullchat
Its snowing lightly here in E.Yorks. Would you believe a few hours ago I was cutting the grass.
 'sno joke y'know.. - Dog
At least it'll be The Final Cut ~ yippee! no more grass cutting 'til Spring has sprung.
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 27 Oct 12 at 08:57
 'sno joke y'know.. - Ted

Lovely day here in leafy South Manchester. 5 derees on the garage thermo but warmer in the Sun.
Been painting the woodwork of the extension at the back....south facing......had to give up 'cos I'm doing white undercoat over white primer and the Sun's being reflected off the glass right into me peepers. Hopefully get a duller day in the week. Might go out on the bike tomorrow if it's dry.

Ted
>> At least it'll be The Final Cut ~ yippee! no more grass cutting 'til Spring has sprung.

youtu.be/2e-yO6_FbtI
 'sno joke y'know.. - Dog
That's what I was a'thinking of effendi, I've got all their 'stuff', The Final Cut isn't one of my faves really but,
the more I plays it the more I likes it.
Final cut done. Tractor off for a service soon.
 'sno joke y'know.. - bathtub tom
You've got to be joking, my neighbour was cutting his on Christmas eve last year.

I'm hoping my final's going to be next week.
Finalised mine this afternoon. Tall hedges either side y'see, the lawn gets no more than an hour of sunshine on a good day now. It'll be worse after the clocks go back.
>>It'll be worse after the clocks go back.

Heh heh.
Latest Forum Posts