Non-motoring > A Crazy Verdict Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 27

A Crazy Verdict - zippy
Scientist sentenced to 6 years for not predicting an earthquake.

tinyurl.com/8zxtrpa

Sort of thing that might happen in North Korea.

Michael Fish had better watch out!
 A Crazy Verdict - Lygonos
That should get 'em all back into the Church.

Hillbillies.
 A Crazy Verdict - henry k
Another crazy verdict
The court case of the Helios flight 552 is another example of the " Blame someone " way of justice.
IIRC the latest is that if all keep quiet then a "time has run out" clause may well save face.
 A Crazy Verdict - Bromptonaut
Mmmm not sure about Helios 552. Somebody decided to employ an agency pilot who's dubious record included service with a UK airline where his failings were glaringly apparent.

Maybe they jailed the wrong people.
 A Crazy Verdict - Lygonos
Talking of RyanAir.....
 A Crazy Verdict - Zero
To be fair, the scientists were not found guilty for not predicting the earthquake, but for telling everyone it was safe.
 A Crazy Verdict - bathtub tom
Curious.

After Focus' Tesco TV tinyurl that nobody else but me seemed able to access, I can't access this one.
 A Crazy Verdict - crocks
I'm not getting it either. But the story is here on the BBC as well.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20025626
 A Crazy Verdict - madf
It's not a crazy verdict.
This is Italy where the judicial system is corrupt and the Mafia still control the Government.

After all, any country which votes for a PM like Berlusconi - not once but frequently - has got to be full of people whose judgements are - how shall I put it kindly - "warped".

To expect the judiciary and the legal system to be independent of such thinking is bizarre.
 A Crazy Verdict - Cliff Pope
The conclusion is that to cover themselves experts should never say that anything is safe, just in case it isn't.
All those experts who said the leaning tower of Pisa is safe, nuclear waste storage is safe, mobile phones are safe, the Thames barrier makes London safe from flooding, are at risk of going to prison if things go wrong.

Safe itself will become a risky word to use.
 A Crazy Verdict - Zero
>> The conclusion is that to cover themselves experts should never say that anything is safe,
>> just in case it isn't.
>> All those experts who said the leaning tower of Pisa is safe, nuclear waste storage
>> is safe, mobile phones are safe, the Thames barrier makes London safe from flooding, are
>> at risk of going to prison if things go wrong.
>>
>> Safe itself will become a risky word to use.

Its not quite as black and white as you portray. The area had been experiencing shocks for some time leading up to the big one, and people had been asking "is this a precursor"? (because its reasonable to assume it would be) The scientists said No, (but covered themselves with a weak caveat)

And I don't think anyone was stupid enough to say the Bell Tower at Pisa wont fall over if nothing was done. Everyone knew it would. If however someone in authority had said "Its safe to live in its path and it fell over killing them, then clearly the messenger of such stupid advice should be culpable.

I agree tho, it could only happen in Italy.
 A Crazy Verdict - Ambo
Adopted here 25 years ago, such legislation could have seen Michael Fish charged over The Hurricane. I could have brought a case over damage to my house.
 A Crazy Verdict - Zero
There is some degree of culpability in his statement. Who is to say his words did not lull people into a false sense of security.

It does not happen now, bad weather warnings pepper our forecasts, most of them grossly pessimistic, to the level of crying Wolf too many times.
 A Crazy Verdict - movilogo
Shows that justice system is just not broken in England alone!

That judge should lose the job and thrown to prison instead.

We still don't have the technology to predict earthquake.

A Crazy Verdict - No FM2R
>>We still don't have the technology to predict earthquake.

Without agreeing with the judgement, they weren't found guilty of failing to predict an earthquake, they were found guilty because they assured people that there wouldn't be one.
 A Crazy Verdict - Biggles
Italian geologists do have a certain reputation though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajont_Dam
>> Italian geologists do have a certain reputation though.
>>
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajont_Dam
>>
We travelled down that valley a short time after the event.
The main road route had just about been restored.
The water went across the valley and up the other side causing damage other than in the main river valley.
The damage was horrific. I still have photos of the impact on the buildings.
 A Crazy Verdict - MD
Would you consider posting them Henry?
>> Would you consider posting them Henry?
>>
I would have to do something clever as they are Kodachrome.
They are half a century old but I think they will have survived OK.
(I recently discoverd that some other brands Agfa ? Dixons? have faded away)
I have not looked at them in decades.

We enterered the valley in the evening with the light fading and all those on board our coach were silenced as the courier told us about the events.
 A Crazy Verdict - Zero
Got the negs? I can lend you a neg/slide scanner.
 A Crazy Verdict - Zero
>> Italian geologists do have a certain reputation though.
>>
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajont_Dam

It Started 2000 years ago

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeii
 A Crazy Verdict - rtj70
>> It Started 2000 years ago: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeii

With this verdict I would imagine when a volcano like Vesuvius is threatening the experts will now call for mass evacuations just in case. I know I would if the alternative might be time in jail. The next one with Vesuvius could be a big one.
 A Crazy Verdict - Zero
Etna is the real Mummy and Daddy of Italian Volcanoes. While in Sicily last year it puked up pumice ash over the rental Fiat 600 I had.
 A Crazy Verdict - rtj70
More people probably live on or near Vesuvius. I am surprised so many properties are on it.

It Etna goes off we can all assume flights are delayed for a long time. Icelandic volcanoes were bad enough. And flight delays are the least of the worries.
 A Crazy Verdict - rtj70
>> pumice ash over the rental Fiat 600 I had.

You admit to hiring a FIAT Seicento then. What did you think ;-)
 A Crazy Verdict - Zero
Opps typo. Fiat 500. Twin Air.
 A Crazy Verdict - rtj70
I had assumed if you'd got a 600 (a rebranded/renamed Seicento) you'd have 'grumbled a bit'.
 A Crazy Verdict - Ted

Some grainy fillum of the aftermath of the Vajont disaster.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LRSbTfc74Y

Ted
Latest Forum Posts