Non-motoring > Gastric grumbles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 60

Gastric grumbles - WillDeBeest
Back this evening from another trip - where to will become clear. After an early start this morning my meetings were over by midday and, with only a few phone calls left to make, I treated myself to a leisurely lunch. Now I very much enjoyed my Nürnberger Wurstchen mit Sauerkraut but I suspect my fellow passengers this afternoon may not have done. Luckily I had row 26 to myself; to those in rows 27 to 38, erm, sorry.
}8---[

Do others here have foods they avoid before travelling?
 Gastric grumbles - Dutchie
In my language Worst met Zuurkool.Very tasty had it many times.Makes you fart.>:)
 Gastric grumbles - Bromptonaut
Anything with fried onions, particularly kedgeree or curry. Doesn't need aircraft pressurisation either, train on the morning after suffers.
 Gastric grumbles - Runfer D'Hills
Oh dear ! My problem is not combustion related but rather one of being unable to stay awake on or in anything moving unless I'm driving it. Apparently, although I've never been fully convinced of this allegation, it is purported that I snore like a train.

As a passenger in a car, on a train on a ship or indeed an aeroplane I simply can not stay awake. Now if the snoring thing is as audible as is alleged...
 Gastric grumbles - Westpig
>> As a passenger in a car, on a train on a ship or indeed an
>> aeroplane I simply can not stay awake.

I am the total opposite. Once in the past I had an ex-girlfriend 'acquire' some sleeping pills from her work so I could sleep on a night flight back from the States. Didn't work. Wide awake.

Gastric grumbles - swiss tony
>> As a passenger in a car, on a train on a ship or indeed an aeroplane I simply can not stay awake.

I'm the same with football, if I don't turn the TV over within 3 minutes of it starting I'm fast asleep.....
 Gastric grumbles - Kevin
>Do others here have foods they avoid before travelling?

I try not to eat anything for a few hours before a flight.

Otherwise it spoils my enjoyment of the inflight culinary delights ;-)
 Gastric grumbles - Zero
If they served good Wurst and Pilsner on flights it might be true.
 Gastric grumbles - L'escargot
My recently acquired "gastric grumble" is regurgitation of food when I'm asleep in bed, if I've eaten less than about five hours before going to bed. I end up inhaling the food and it's not pleasant.
 Gastric grumbles - Zero
TMD
 Gastric grumbles - Roger.
Beans, beans: good for the heart,
The more you eat the more you fart,
The more you fart, the better you feel,
So eat more beans with every meal.
 Gastric grumbles - VxFan
>> Beans, beans: good for the heart,

www.odps.org/glossword/index.php?a=term&d=3&t=47
>> TMD
>>

I googled for TMD but none of the hits were relevant. What's TMD?
 Gastric grumbles - PeterS
>> >> TMD
>> >>
>>
>> I googled for TMD but none of the hits were relevant. What's TMD?
>>

Too Much Detail ??
 Gastric grumbles - Cliff Pope
>> >> TMD
>> >>
>>
>> I googled for TMD but none of the hits were relevant. What's TMD?
>>

Total Muscle Development

It's a remedy for controlling gastric disorders in horses. You can buy a 10 lb bucket for $150 here:

www.equidite.com/shopnow/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3
 Gastric grumbles - Meldrew
It isn't quite what you describe but might it be this? www.nhs.uk/conditions/Hernia-hiatus/Pages/Introduction.aspx
 Gastric grumbles - Mike Hannon
Jerusalem artichokes or soup of same. Unfortunately I love them.
>> It isn't quite what you describe but might it be this? www.nhs.uk/conditions/Hernia-hiatus/Pages/Introduction.aspx
>>

The symptoms don't seem to tally with those of hiatus hernia. I don't have any heartburn, just regurgitation into my mouth of particles of undigested food while I'm laid down asleep. Inhaling the food wakes me up and I then have a prolonged involuntary coughing fit trying to clear my air passageways. I'm trying to avoid the problem by not eating too much and by not eating too late. I haven't found out yet whether it's related to a particular food or not.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 24 Oct 12 at 11:14
I am pleased for you! Hiatus Hernia repair is, or was, very major and invasive surgery.
I have to sleep with my head up with other words two cushions.I would try that Les.My surgeon advised me to do this.It helps the majority of people to sleep this way.Also don't eat befor going to sleep have a drink instead.>;)
 Gastric grumbles - Crankcase
I'm the opposite. I can't use a pillow at all - if I do I get a headache, backache and feel sick.
The return valve in your esophagus must be working fine.Mine was taking out hence the return of stumach acids if layed flat.
 Gastric grumbles - Dog
>>Also don't eat befor going to sleep have a drink instead<<

You could always try liquidising steak, egg, chips, peas, mushrooms tomatoes and fried onion rings.

:}
 Gastric grumbles - Ambo
Aspirating regurgitated food can choke you to death, as happened to a little girl I knew. Later, as a hostel warden, I put more than one legless, unconcious student into the recovery position until they came round.
 Gastric grumbles - devonite
Three whole Kippers followed by a tin of baked beans - If I`ve got to suffer, be it by Train, Boat or Plane, then so is everyone else!
 Gastric grumbles - MD
>> Three whole Kippers followed by a tin of baked beans - If I`ve got to
>> suffer, be it by Train, Boat or Plane, then so is everyone else!
>>
You Swine Sir. You stole my Thunder! I was about to suggest tinned Kippers from Lidl's (they are wonderful and cheap) some beans and an Onion. Now that's the stuff to repel intruders. Who needs a Gun?? Boom boom.
 Gastric grumbles - Zero
Tinned Kippers?

my gawd, what a horrific prospect. Specially when you can get them fresh, or frozen.

Gastric grumbles - CGNorwich
Best are Craster kippers but if you aren't in Northumberland you can get them from Waitrose.
 Gastric grumbles - bathtub tom
Shouldn't we be leaving the kippers to the Picts and stay loyal to our bloaters?
Ah! the bloater, the only food from Yarmouth that's not deep fried. Haven't seen them around for a while - used to buy them on Norwich market. Prefer kippers though.
>> Ah! the bloater, t

Who will have the bloater when the boat comes in?

Memories of the late Alex Glasgow and songs that are as relevant today as in the sixties/seventies

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRyfliDfN1Y
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 24 Oct 12 at 23:44
 Gastric grumbles - MD
>> Tinned Kippers? my gawd, what a horrific prospect. Specially when you can get them fresh, or frozen.
>>
Don't knock it until you try it Zeddo. They come in very handy kept in the van for when one needs an unexpected munch. I also keep a small Pepper grinder in there too. Yummmm
>> I was about to suggest tinned Kippers from
>> Lidl's (they are wonderful and cheap) ..........

I prefer their Mackerel in Tomato Sauce.
I'd want to see a doctor PDQ.
 Gastric grumbles - smokie
I get something similar, doc prescribed me Omeprazol and it fixes it. Particular types of food e.g. lots of bread were not so good for me. But with the daily pill I'm fine with everything.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omeprazole
 Gastric grumbles - Ted

You don't need food...just a weekly injection of Exanatide and you can light up the house with the application of a match.......every five minutes.

Monsieur Le Petomane....eat your heart out !

I have never farted so much in my life since the clinic put me on this stuff.....still, it breaks the ice at parties.

Ted
>> I get something similar, doc prescribed me Omeprazol ...........

I'm already on 20mg Omeprazol to protect my stomach against the daily 75mg aspirin tablet which is part of my treatment for Essential Thrombocythemia.
 Gastric grumbles - Ted
Essential Thrombocythemia.

I wish I had said that !

Ted
>>
 Gastric grumbles - helicopter
I may have already recounted on here that I can recommend an Indian restaurant in Doha to give you great gastric grumbles ...

The next day I almost did not make it to the loo on the airforce base . I felt a sudden grip and left a meeting with an Air Force Brigadier at a sprint worthy of Usain Bolt ....just about my most embarrassing moment ever .

Now I avoid anything at all spicy before flying.....
Respectfully suggest, from past experience in the Sand Pit area, that the trots are more likely related to kitchen hygiene, or lack of it, than the nature of the food
Last edited by: Meldrew on Fri 26 Oct 12 at 09:16
I agree with that. Food is seldom the problem, most people can eat anything. We are omnivores. The problem is nearly always lack of hygiene. Just observe how many men never wash their hands in a public toilet. It is also true that food preparation areas in a lot of homes are far less hygienic than most restaurants - they do after all get inspected occasionally.
 Gastric grumbles - zookeeper
never observe men in public toilets.. a bout of ghandis revenge is the least of your troubles
 Gastric grumbles - Zero
Just observe how many men
>> never wash their hands in a public toilet.

Never ever eat the free nuts on the bar.
 Gastric grumbles - No FM2R
>> never wash their hands in a public toilet.

Why would I? I don't pee on my fingers.

Also, I'd be more worried about germs from hand to willy, then willy to hand. Depends on your hands I suppose.

Or Willy.

It'd make more sense washing hands before touching anything important.
 Gastric grumbles - Armel Coussine
>> It'd make more sense washing hands before touching anything important.

If you want to wave your willy, clap your hands

If you want to wave your willy, clap your hands

If you want to wave your willy

You will look extremely silly

If your willy's caught the clap from your hands ...

Gastric grumbles - Pat
That's a fine ending to a crap week AC, thank you:)

Pat
 Gastric grumbles - smokie
There was something on the Beeb the other night that banknotes have faecal matter on them, 0.2 percent maybe? What with that, and the cocaine...

Here is it in print www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19834975
>> >> never wash their hands in a public toilet.
>>
>> Why would I? I don't pee on my fingers.

There's a joke around that:

English footy fan attending away match in Germany. Goes to gents and walks out without washing hands.

Native behind him reprimands in droll accent "In Chermany vee are taught to wash hands after using ze toilet"

Fan replies in same mode:

"In Engalnd vee are taught not to pee on our fingers"

Tickled The Lad's funny bone when I told him it at age 12 - after a failure to wash at Forton services.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Thu 1 Nov 12 at 09:14
 Gastric grumbles - Westpig
You've more chance of catching something nasty from the tap if you've only had a wee.

>> You've more chance of catching something nasty from the tap if you've only had a
>> wee.

That's a fair point. Some of the hand washing rigour dates back to era when one pair of grotts stayed on all week.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 26 Oct 12 at 20:23
 Gastric grumbles - devonite
>> >> never wash their hands in a public toilet.

I never do, I always use the wash-basin!
 Gastric grumbles - Lygonos
>> There's a joke around that:

Identical joke attributed to W.Churchill after another MP remarked (after watching him not wash his hands) - "At Eton we were taught to wash our hands after going to the toilet"

The retort:

"At Harrow we were taught not to pi55 on our fingers"

Allegedly.
 Gastric grumbles - Duncan
Why is it that public toilets can be entered by pushing the door (when one can use ones shoulder and ones hands are clean), but can only be exited by pulling a handle (when ones hands are soiled) thereby potentially spreading contamination?

Gastric grumbles - Roger.

I'm really quite amused at the Dettol TV advert for their contact-less hand wash dispenser.
It's touted as being more hygienic than using a pump dispenser, which it may be.
On the other hand if one picks up germs from pushing a dispenser, surely washing the hands with the stuff thus delivered cleanses them?
Even more bizarrely - depicted is germ-less contact for the goo, usage of the goo and then hands are shown about to be dried on a TOWEL, almost certainly full of creepy crawly things with bug-eyes and sharp teeth!
Who is taken in by this claptrap?
www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2217992/One-10-bank-cards-carries-illness-causing-bacteria.html
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2217992/One-10-bank-cards-carries-illness-causing-bacteria.html
>>

"A study has found that nearly one in 10 bank cards contains faecal matter."

They're better than nothing when you've run out of toilet paper.
 Gastric grumbles - VxFan
>> They're better than nothing when you've run out of toilet paper.

www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/big_brother/4498016/.html
>> Essential Thrombocythemia.
>>
>> I wish I had said that !

Essential Thrombocythemia is a myeloproliferative disorder, and which sometimes has Erythromelalgia associated with it. They're all long words I wish I'd never had personal experience of!
 Gastric grumbles - Dog
Your regurgitation thingy may respond to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hay_diet
 Gastric grumbles - zookeeper
>> Your regurgitation thingy may respond to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hay_diet
>>
>> to be honest canis, i would prefer will hay any day...oh mr porter etc etc
 Gastric grumbles - Dog
Yule have to make do with this beekeeper: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfW3TxQhy20&feature=related
Latest Forum Posts