Non-motoring > Dangerous wheelie bins Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 54

Dangerous wheelie bins - Ambo
As reported elsewhere, I have a broken ankle as the result of an encounter with a wheelie bin. This led me to being housebound and, as I needed a routine blood test for my hospital record, I asked for a district nurse to come round and take it. She came to my house from another where she had just bandaged up someone who had also been damaged by one of these bins and said that the service had dealt with a lot of such cases. Then a friend, steering her car down a narrow alley crammed with wheelie bins at about 5 mph, clipped one and had her onside mirror sheared clean off.

Have fellow posters suffered from conatcts with these dangerous bins?
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Zero
what do they do, chase you down the road and attack you or something? Seems to me most of them are stationary, and safe till disturbed.
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Robin O'Reliant
BiL has a gouge down the side of his car after an incident with a runaway wheelie bn.
 Dangerous wheelie bins - CGNorwich
"Seems to me most of them are stationary, and safe till disturbed."

Sounds like a plot for Dr Who. The Daleks have morphed into a new life form and have infiltrated every street in Britain. The brown ones are the most dangerous apparently.
www.flickr.com/photos/35805601@N07/3349681920/
I so want a wheelybin like that.
>> "Seems to me most of them are stationary, and safe till disturbed."
>>
>> Sounds like a plot for Dr Who. The Daleks have morphed into a new life
>> form and have infiltrated every street in Britain. The brown ones are the most dangerous
>> apparently.

Dr Who stole the plot for Stone Angels from my dog when food is about.

Every time you look at the dog its standing still, but closer than it was the last time you looked. Before you know it huge jaws have eaten the food, and all thats left is a stationary dog.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 28 Oct 12 at 12:14
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Meldrew
My 3 bins have to be out in the open, at the top of drive and against the garage door. When they are empty ie most of the time, they tend to get blown down the road! I have tied them together with a bungee cord and that seems to have immobilised them!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sun 28 Oct 12 at 12:38
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Fursty Ferret
The only thing dangerous about mine is me after someone filled my recycling bin with normal rubbish.
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Old Navy
>> Then a friend, steering her
>> car down a narrow alley crammed with wheelie bins at about 5 mph, clipped one
>> and had her onside mirror sheared clean off.
>>

Might I suggest that a few driving lessons would help with this problem? It might also stop some of the damage in the local supermarket car park.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 28 Oct 12 at 12:43
 Dangerous wheelie bins - R.P.
It's alright for you in towns. The utter buffoonery of supplying green and black wheelies in a rural setting in what is a largely rural county is beyond comprehension, add to that the idiot neighbours who put them out a couple of days before the bin-wagons collect is beyond my understanding.
>> It's alright for you in towns. The utter buffoonery of supplying green and black wheelies
>> in a rural setting in what is a largely rural county is beyond comprehension,

Why? do they go feral or something? Compete with the sheep for food?
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 28 Oct 12 at 12:49
>> >> It's alright for you in towns. The utter buffoonery of supplying green and black
>> wheelies
>> >> in a rural setting in what is a largely rural county is beyond comprehension,
>>
>>
>> Why? do they go feral or something? Compete with the sheep for food?
>>

Once they get the taste of blood...
Its the black ones that are the most dangerous...

Edit,

tho the green bin supremacy party is none too savoury.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 28 Oct 12 at 13:05
Where my daughter lives in Vancouver they have to use bear proof bins and they must not be left out overnight.

Here's one of the bins being tested.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=66JFIqNOvvI
>> Where my daughter lives in Vancouver they have to use bear proof bins and they
>> must not be left out overnight.
>>
>> Here's one of the bins being tested.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=66JFIqNOvvI

Theres a degree of experience or inherited learning there, throwing the bin in the air.

Bears are smart creatures. The rapidly learn that trash is a lot easier to find than roots and berries and all those burgers and discarded meals are lot more nutritious. Once they get habituated to living on garbage they end up getting shot which is sad.
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Ted

That is sooooo realistic a bear costume !

Ted
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Duncan
>> Where my daughter lives in Vancouver they have to use bear proof bins and they
>> must not be left out overnight.
>>
>> Here's one of the bins being tested.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=66JFIqNOvvI
>>

Why doesn't someone go out there and chase that naughty bear away?....
>> Its the black ones that are the most dangerous...
>>
>>
>>
>> Edit,
>>
>> tho the green bin supremacy party is none too savoury.
>>

Our brown wheelies take some beating, as they eat garden and food waste they beat the black landfill ones in the smelly competition. The blue ones are wimps they only eat cardboard.
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Lygonos
>>The blue ones are wimps they only eat cardboard.

You might think that, but remember Hitler only ate cardboard.

Well our browns eat only glass and tins........they are born again HARD !

Ted
Don't confuse me, we are soon to switch to a four wheeliebin system, (my daughters area is already on it). And yes just to make the switch simple all the bin colours are changing their use. We have plenty of room for the four bins, many do not.
FOUR!? Do you have to sort your rubbish alphabetically or something?

I have two - one for recycling basically if the packet has the three arrows on it goes in that bin), and one for what's left over. Oh, and a slop bucket.

I think it's probably about time we started putting hefty taxes on non-recyclable packaging. Pretty sure that would sort things out quickly.
>> FOUR!? Do you have to sort your rubbish alphabetically or something?

Yup, we have four

Rubbish - landfill
Recyclable
Garden waste
Food slops.

>> I think it's probably about time we started putting hefty taxes on non-recyclable packaging. Pretty
>> sure that would sort things out quickly.

We should put a hefty tax on PACKAGING in general. Starting next easter. No reason why easter eggs cant be sold in paper bags.
>> >> FOUR!? Do you have to sort your rubbish alphabetically or something?
>>

tinyurl.com/9ft2czo
 Dangerous wheelie bins - henry k
>> >> FOUR!? Do you have to sort your rubbish alphabetically or something?
>>
>> Yup, we have four
>>
>> Rubbish - landfill
>> Recyclable
>> Garden waste
>> Food slops.
>>
Green - landfil
blue - recycle
brown - garden
little green for slops.

Consistent colours around the country - of course not.
I am in the same boroughas Zero but next door in Kingston on Thames, flats near my daughters have.

www.kingston.gov.uk/flats_recycling_service_leaflet.pdf
Place your food waste into the bin with a brown lid.
Place glass into the bin with a green lid.
Place tins and cans into the bin with a grey lid.
Place plastic bottles into the bin with an orange lid.
Place your paper into the bin with a blue lid.
Place your cardboard into the bin with a white lid

>> Consistent colours around the country - of course not.
>> I am in the same boroughas Zero

Nope, fink you is Elmbridge, I is Runnymede.

We is
Grey with Grey lid - Landfill
Black with blue lid - recycle
Green with Green lid compost
small green - food for pigs.
Did you know its actually illegal to feed swill to pigs? I remember when I was at school there was a huge swill bin outside the dining room
>> Did you know its actually illegal to feed swill to pigs? I remember when I
>> was at school there was a huge swill bin outside the dining room

Probably why bacon has no taste any more
>>Nope, fink you is Elmbridge, I is Runnymede.
I stand corrected. Yet another set of coloured bins :-(
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Bromptonaut
Bins are a growth industry!!

ATM we have two, black and green, collected alternate weeks. Black is landfill, green compostable stuff. Bins are paired with boxes so paper/glass gets collected one week and tins/plastic the other.

Until recently cardboard went in the compostable bin but apparently that's no longer allowed; ink and staples foul the compost. Instead it's bagged and collected with the tins.

Next year we get more but smaller bins including food waste. Hopefully will fit down side of house still.

Meldrew's wandering bin brought back memories of holidays on the Hebrides. They could stray miles in a winter gale so everbody without a puond for then chains or bungee's them to a fennce.

How did the OP got his injury. I'll admit to climbing into ours to compress waste when it's getting too full.
I have to admit I am being slighty facetious about killer bins. While in Florida staying in a rented villa there was one of the famous tropical rainstorms, just before bin collection time. Near on every bin floated down the road on a torrent of water, to the next main road intersection whereupon near on a hundred bins caused a major traffic incident.
 Dangerous wheelie bins - No FM2R
>>I have to admit I am being slighty facetious

Say it ain't so!!! Another illusion destroyed.
>> >>I have to admit I am being slighty facetious
>>
>> Say it ain't so!!! Another illusion destroyed.

Go suck on your back axle.
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Cliff Pope
There is a man living in a wheelie bin in the Wetherspoons yard near our work. Not one of your common or garden kind, this is a large metal Bifa bin.
It is dry, draught-free, and next door to the bin where they put their left-over food, and handy for the incoming deliveries too.

He seems untroubled by the health and safety issues with dangerous wheelie bins.
The last time I was in Australia I saw a clever automated bin lorry which had a side mounted grab which lifted the bin, emptied it and replaced it on the side of the road. I don't think it would work in the UK though.

tinyurl.com/8wl28br
 Dangerous wheelie bins - corax
>> tinyurl.com/8wl28br

A far cry from the men carrying the bins on their shoulders.
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Cliff Pope
>> grab which lifted the bin, emptied it and replaced it on
>> the side of the road.
>>

That's exactly what happens here. He gets up early to avoid being tipped in the lorry, and then climbs back inside.

>> That's exactly what happens here.
>>

Not with domestic wheelies.
 Dangerous wheelie bins - rtj70
We have four around here:

- Green for garden and food waste
- Black for landfill non-recyclable
- Brown for paper/cardboard
- Blue for glass and plastic

We're lucky we have a space near the side of the house where they can be kept out of site but close to the backdoor.
 Dangerous wheelie bins - R.P.
2 Full size - Black for landfill, green for garden, tiny brown one for kitchen slops, he has a smaller brother which you're meant to keep on your worktop to top the bigger one up. A blue box for cardboard and a red one for plastic. Waste transfer night is Wednesday, then you have to drag the lot of them to the top of the road so the bin men can then scatter their contents across the village and surrounding lanes. Messy useless ******s

>> to the top of the road so the bin men can then scatter their contents
>> across the village and surrounding lanes. Messy useless ******s

You need the dalek bin.
My local Council has invested in a vast sorting machine for recyclables. As a result no sorting is required by residents, everything goes in the grey bin and is sorted for us. It works so well they are buying in other council's recyclables; I gather that what they are really after, apart from the metasl, is the plastic drinks bottles which have high value.

This looks like being wrecked by an EU directive saying that we have to do it at home. When I lived in Germany we had 9 recycling crates which included 3 for coloured glass.
>> The last time I was in Australia I saw a clever automated bin lorry which
>> had a side mounted grab which lifted the bin, emptied it and replaced it on
>> the side of the road. I don't think it would work in the UK though.
>>
When staying at a friends house in Brisbane I saw one in action.

IIRC they are in use in England
kipperfrog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/robo-dustcart-ate-our-wheelie-bin-o.html

>> When staying at a friends house in Brisbane I saw one in action.
>>
>> IIRC they are in use in England
>> kipperfrog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/robo-dustcart-ate-our-wheelie-bin-o.html
>>

Australian suburbs have a totally different layout to UK ones, on street parking would defeat this type of refuse collection. I am surprised they are used in the UK, It would work in my street (if the residents could be trained in bin placement) but I don't think it would work in the majority of UK situations.
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Dog
>>There is a man living in a wheelie bin in the Wetherspoons yard near our work<<

Men living in wheelie bins, women living in shopping trolleys - what is the world coming to I wonder??

2.bp.blogspot.com/_zSlAFVkTFLk/S7L9vRlsRPI/AAAAAAAAAzI/k16sNiQL2cg/s1600/Damien-Saez-jaccuse.jpg
Anything to avoid living with each other perhaps?

I'll have to put me specs on next time I'm in Tesco, Bonzo. I wonder which aisle they're in .

Ted
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Dog
>>I wonder which aisle they're in<<

Probably where they keep the peaches, Teddy!
 Dangerous wheelie bins - swiss tony
>> >>There is a man living in a wheelie bin in the Wetherspoons yard near our work<<

Living, and dying in bins, it seems.....
tinyurl.com/naf5rp
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224645/Primrose-Hill-residents-fight-wheelie-bin-plans.html

:-))))))))))

Isn't city life wonderful.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 29 Oct 12 at 08:33
 Dangerous wheelie bins - devonite
Here we have:
Black = landfill (general waste, Rat and Gull food)
Green = Landfill (garden waste, Rat and Gull food)
2ftx1ft black box (recycle tins, magazines, glass, - all emptied in full view into a "compartmented" lorry, and then when out of sight taken to landfill)

>> - all emptied in full view into a
>> "compartmented" lorry, and then when out of sight taken to landfill)
>>
>>

Our council collect the various coloured bins on different days. At least they were honest when we were snowed in for a week or two, they said put all your bins out and leave them until they are emptied, it is all going to landfill, we will let you know when normal service is resumed.
 Dangerous wheelie bins - Dave_
>> Have fellow posters suffered from contacts with these dangerous bins?

A couple of years ago at my previous job we forwarded several dozen artic-loads of new bins from the manufacturers in France on to Coventry council. One of my colleagues broke his wrist when a stack of 10 went over on him, several others pulled or strained muscles in similar circumstances. I followed the principle: If you see a stack going, run like **** the other way. Worked for me.
Latest Forum Posts