Non-motoring > Kitchen flooring Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 94

Kitchen flooring - CGNorwich
Currently planning a new kitchen and we can't decide on the flooring. It's between laminate and ceramic tiles. I favour the tiling but wondering what the panel's thoughts are on the merits and issues for each type and anything I should look out for. All told we are looking at around 17 square meters and don't really want to spend more than £40 per square meter plus laying costs.
 Kitchen flooring - No FM2R
Depends a lot on the style of your kitchen, but I'd always go for tiles. I don't like the look of laminate in the first place, and in any case I prefer the functionality of tiles.

Two things though;

1) If you drop something, it breaks. No lucky escapes.
2) Careful you don't get something which is slippery when wet.

I'm not sure about the impact of ongoing, albeit minor, spills on a laminate floor over a period of time.

I also think laminate flooring comes with a big sign on it that says "I was too cheap to buy wood".

Just checked, huge cost difference between tiles and laminate.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 28 Oct 12 at 23:30
Amtico Spacia laminate is around £30 per square meter. Tiles I'm looking at are £35 per sq metre. I suspect the tiles will cost more to lay.
Unless it fits the style of your kitchen better, I can;t think why the laminate would be preferable.

Although I'd expect you're right about the laying costs.

Also, is there ever any chance in the future that you'd want to get back under the floor covering?

Also, do you need to worry about floor insulation?
 Kitchen flooring - sherlock47
I am doing something similar, although we had the kitchen units done first, (long story).

I would pefer tiles, (and we have them in our french house) but in the uk (and with a solid floor, without the option of underfloor heating), the floor would certainly feel cold. The good thing about tiles is that they are easy to clean - sweep or wash. The bad thing is that they are unforgiving when you drop anything! You need to buy non slip tiles for a kitchen and this limits the choice and pushes up the price. Using large tiles creates a better look but wastage can be high.

Tiles are better laid professionally for a large area unless you are a very competent DIYer.

Do you actually mean laminate, or 'engineered', wooden flooring ( to me that is just marketing speak for thick laminate!)?

Laminate is easy to lay - but probably better if you take off the skirtings to make for an easy good finish at the edges. Irregular shapes will take some practice for the best final product. Kitchens will require a water resistant grade. To me it always looks like laminate! £40 rules out the expensive engineered products and most prefinished solid wood. The existing subfloor needs to be very flat without any discontinuities ( even sheeting out with ply over mixed solid suspended leaves a feel of the joint).

There are many on line suppliers of engineered products but I too am looking for a recommendation from somebody who has already done it and used a discount supplier. They are all willing to send samples.

Have you considered any of the expensive vinyls ( I still think of them as lino), although they can easily exceed your budget, but certainly one of the major manufacturers has produced an entry level product that may meet your needs.
Last edited by: pmh on Sun 28 Oct 12 at 23:43
"Have you considered any of the expensive vinyls ( I still think of them as lino), although they can easily exceed your budget, but certainly one of the major manufacturers has produced an entry level product that may meet your needs."

Actually that's exactly what I am looking at as an alternative to tiles- ignore my reference to laminate . Spacia is the entry level product vinyl tile product for Amtico.

simplyamtico.co.uk/index.php?p=catalog&parent=3&pg=1

Kitchen flooring - car4play
>>Do you actually mean laminate, or 'engineered', wooden flooring ( to me that is just marketing speak for thick laminate!)?

No it's completely different to laminate.
Engineered board is basically a ply covered in a thick solid wood layer. You could sand it like a real wood floor if you wanted.
Our downstairs is oak engineered board. It was preferable because it had less likelihood of warping with our underfloor heating.
 Kitchen flooring - FocalPoint
I have been involved in one way or another with laying about three different types of floor covering in four kitchens - by which I mean each kitchen, over a period of time, had different floor coverings.

In each case the final type was ceramic tiles and now I wouldn't even consider anything else. The same goes for conservatories.
 Kitchen flooring - MD
There are laminates now that mimic wood in a way that is almost impossible to tell. Technology has moved on. If you must have laminate don't skimp. I used to say tiles every time, but now.................Hmmmm
 Kitchen flooring - MD
And if you have tiles ensure that the Tiler is a good un.
 Kitchen flooring - R.P.
Apart from the two reception rooms (which have oak wood flooring) the entire ground floor is of large ceramic tiles. Still in two minds with them - they can be cold underfoot but I always wee shoes in the house now. Yes things break when you drop them - unforgiving as mentioned above. They are though easy enough to vacuum and mop clean. The dogs slide about on them but both seem to deal with that ! We could go to a traditional covering at some stage if we stay here. They do feel a little austere....
 Kitchen flooring - Zero
What do you currently have on the floor? Someone I know put down slate floor tiles, somehow they feel softer and warmer than traditional tiles, tho you are somewhat limited in colours.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 Oct 12 at 07:55
"What do you currently have on the floor? "

I think they are Marley tiles - 20 years old. Wondering how easy they will be to get up.

Kitchen flooring - Zero
>> "What do you currently have on the floor? "
>>
>> I think they are Marley tiles - 20 years old. Wondering how easy they will
>> be to get up.

The old soft ones? quite easy with a heat gun. Its best to see what its like under them first before you decide, you may need to board the floor if you use amtico stuff and that might add floor thickness issues.
No, they're hard and quite brittle.
 Kitchen flooring - Zero
they'll be soft with the heat gun!
 Kitchen flooring - MD
>> No, they're hard and quite brittle.
>>
There is likely to be an Asbestos content in them.
 Kitchen flooring - MD
As they are only 2-3mm thick then it may be prudent to go over the top of them if door thresholds permit etc etc etc.
 Kitchen flooring - PeterS
>> What do you currently have on the floor? Someone I know put down slate floor
>> tiles, somehow they feel softer and warmer than traditional tiles, tho you are somewhat limited
>> in colours.
>>

We had our kitchen floor done in slate and you're right, it doesn't feel as cold under foot as the quarry tiles it replaced. I put it down to the rougher, less even surface creating more gaps between your feet and the floor, though thats probably ablsoute rubbish!! Ours is quite dark slate though, and its difficult to keep looking clean - it shows every speck of dust :-(
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 29 Oct 12 at 19:51
Think we have plumped for porcelain tiles. Down the tile shop this afternoon and some very nice Italian tiles in a terra cotta colour for around £40 per square meter with a further £20 per sq metre to fit.

Did you check that they were ok when a little bit greasy or wet? You will get spillages, and some tiles become like an Ice Rink.

If I might suggest, buy a tile. Then take it home and spill stuff on it, stain it, generally abuse it, and just check that the colour, staining, slippery-ness etc all stay acceptable.

In my experience just because it says that they're kitchen floor tiles, doesn't neccessarily mean that they are suitable to be used as such.

That said, I'm sure you'll be happy with the decision to go with tiles.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 29 Oct 12 at 17:19
 Kitchen flooring - Bromptonaut
Having had an accident misjudging just how slippery a wet surface can be I'd second FM's caution.

Tonight's mayhem after a 'person under' at Apsley meant I had to get a train from St Pancras to Wellyboro. The granite slabs on the domestic platforms were treacherous beyond the roof line where rain was falling. Termac or concrete would have been much better.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 29 Oct 12 at 21:55
 Kitchen flooring - Zero
o Wellyboro. The granite slabs on the domestic platforms were treacherous beyond
>> the roof line where rain was falling. Termac or concrete would have been much better.

I am not sure he wants the local piekeys round to do his floor.
"Having had an accident misjudging just how slippery a wet surface can be I'd second FM's caution. "

When my wife washes the floor she issues dire warnings as to the consequences of anybody even as much as tip-toeing across it. (Not for my safety but the appearance of the floor.) I should be OK. The tiles we have chosen are meant to be slip resistant anyhow.

I don't need wet tiles to fall over anyway. I tripped over a traffic hump six weeks ago and wrecked my knee.

Kitchen flooring - Old Navy
We replaced the laminate flooring in our kitchen / utility room with heavy duty vinyl. It is warm underfoot, gives a cushioned feel, is waterproof, forgiving of drops, and easily replaced. The good stuff is not particularly cheap.
 Kitchen flooring - WillDeBeest
...I always wee shoes in the house now...

Is that an extreme case of owners acquiring the characteristics of their pets?
};---)
 Kitchen flooring - bathtub tom
I've seen ceramic floor tiles chipped from dropping things on them. They look like an expensive job to replace and would they ever match, even if you kept some from the original batch?
I dropped a Le Creuset casserole on the red tiled floor in our old kitchen. It broke into three pieces and a little cloud of orange dust but, annoyed as I was about that, I was more relieved - and a little surprised - that the tiles were unscathed. Probably a quality thing: the tiles were a year old when we bought the house - I think they were from Fired Earth - and still looked good, with minimal cleaning and no maintenance, when we moved out twelve years later.

Kitchen in new house is being modernized by stealth and still has the original 1970s pale vinyl floor. It's worn well, and dropped plates do bounce off it, but has stains that won't wash off, and it has a few dings and dents and one puncture. I'd like to have tiles again - possibly stone this time - but I'll look at Amtico too if I can find some to try walking on.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 29 Oct 12 at 09:15
 Kitchen flooring - FocalPoint
"I dropped a Le Creuset casserole on the red tiled floor in our old kitchen. It broke into three pieces and a little cloud of orange dust..."

Ouch! That was expensive!
Could have been worse, FP. It was 'only' a 20cm pot, which I'd had for 15 years - I think it was a leaving-home present from my parents. And I found a new 22cm, in a rather nice blue enamel, for £33 at a House of Fraser sale not long after. 22 is a better size for family purposes too, and it's giving good service.

Still got the 20cm lid somewhere if anyone has a use for it.
 Kitchen flooring - Dog
>>I've seen ceramic floor tiles chipped from dropping things on them<<

Tell me about it!!!
 Kitchen flooring - Zero
and I thought he was house trained...
 Kitchen flooring - Crankcase
I realise as I sit at my desk I have no clue what's on the kitchen floor. But we've only been there fourteen years so I have some excuse. I'll look tonight. I think it's some sort of brick.

But I do know we've never dropped anything breakable on it, yet.
 Kitchen flooring - mikeyb
We have a ceramic tiled floor in our Kitchen. We bought the house new, and paid to have it tiled before we moved in by the builder.

They have made a good job of it, plus their trade discount on the tiles covered the cost of fitting. I've since found out that the discount available in the trade is pretty good so you can often find that getting someone decent to buy and fit them for you can sometimes be similar in price to doing the job yourself.

My only regret with the tiles is that they are very cold, and as a result the kitchen is noticeably colder than the rest of the house - I would recommend having them heated if possible as there is no going back once they are down.

Ours are now 7 years old and no damage whatsoever despite hoards of kids trudging through and loads of things being dropped on them - I can vouch for the fact that everything that's been dropped on them has been destroyed and not left a mark on the tiles, but I'm not sure if that varies by brand / cost. Ours were Porcelanosa and the retail was around £45.
Question for those with tiles in modern houses: how do you manage the change in level? Wasn't a problem in our Victorian house because the kitchen was a step down from the hall anyway, but here (on leave this week) tiling the kitchen would create a step up, even if only of 15mm, which would foul the door and generally get in the way.
There is no real change in level in our house - the kitchen leads out to the hall, and that has an engineered wood floor so they are about the same height. The doors may have been adjusted to fit - I cant say, but in the doorway between the two they appear to be the same height
 Kitchen flooring - Fullchat
Have you had a look at Karndean. We have this on the Kitchen floor.
Laid IKEA laminate , then I think a rebrand of Pergo, in the old house c. spring 1992. Glued toungue and groove. Joints were a pain to get right as too little glue and they moved, too mich and was difficult to squeeze out leaving a visible join.

Finiding old pictures of kids for Lad's 18th reminded me how good it looked and how easy it was to keep clean even with a door into garden (think trampled grass clippings) as well as inevitable vomit and nappy leaks.

Just done the Lad's bedroom with a cheap B&Q oak effect laminate and it looks rather good. Obviously not wood but a damn sight better than carpet. Glueless slot fix stuff bit of a pain ar row ends where it seems to need to twist two ways at once. As cheap stuff its not suitable for kitchens. Hopefully it will survive the inevitable spilled drink.

There are all sorts of laminates that are designed for kitchens and even bathrooms. Not limited to would effect, there are replaications of ceramic, slate and other stone finishes as well. Pretty straightforward to lay DIY though the watertight versions might need glue.

Seriuosly considering it for our kitchen.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 29 Oct 12 at 12:23
 Kitchen flooring - TeeCee
>> how easy it was to keep clean even with a door into garden (think trampled
>> grass clippings) as well as inevitable vomit and nappy leaks.
>>

Years ago, I ripped the shonky old carpet out of the back room in our then house and laid shiny, new laminate.
I'd finished, taken the bits 'n pieces to the dump and had just sat down with the wife to have a well-earned cup of tea.

No. 1 son, then aged about 6, walked in, said; "I don't feel very well...." and promptly upchucked over the floor.
I remember saying; "Look on the bright side. That would have been a far more serious problem a few hours ago....".
You can get various transitions strips which are designed for flooring of different heights. Currently our hall and dining room have engineered wood so they are different heights to the vinyl in the kitchen. Works well and don't really notice it.

If I use ceramic tiling in the kitchen the floor heights will be about the same
 Kitchen flooring - R.P.
I don't wee in my shoes - yet :-)

My iPhone survives drops to the tiled floors only because it lives in an Otterbox case. Ugly but highly functional - even better design for the iPhone5.

There is a halfway house with tiles sort of soft quality tiles that we had in the old place....trying to remember the trade name now...but the phone keeps ringing...
 Kitchen flooring - VxFan
Lino in ours. Fairly easy to maintain - mop, bucket and a bit of disinfectant. However on the downside it is easily torn if you move any of the kitchen appliances as I found out when the corner of the fridge decided it was hungry one day when I pulled it out to retrieve something that had fallen down behind. Good old superglue repaired it though, and you can hardly see the join as it's in a dark corner.

EDIT, I think the neighbour has Flotex carpet in her kitchen.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 29 Oct 12 at 12:40
 Kitchen flooring - Old Navy
>> However on the downside it is easily torn if you move any of the kitchen
>> appliances

They move easily if you put a smear of washing up liquid where the feet will slide. It cleans the floor at the same time. :-)
 Kitchen flooring - Ted

We have Amtico tiles in the kitchen. They're black with a thin white strip separating them.
The floor, which was wood but with a corner in concrete where an old pantry had stood, was screeded first. The fitter came back when the screed was dry and said he wasn't satisfied. He topped it up and re-levelled it all. It looked alright to me first time.

We like the Amtico very much. We have high gloss cream cupboards and the floor mirrors the black worktops. SWM keeps it clean with a steam mop.

The same firm did the Karndean in the hall....grained mahogany finish. Again, the steam mop gets used.

A small, first class family firm, they've done most of our carpets and are honest and free with their advice and help..........one's a biker, which helps.

Ted
 Kitchen flooring - Armel Coussine
Red quarry tiles in kitchens and bathrooms here. They are durable and easy to clean, especially as they never really look clean however clean they are.

A bit unforgiving with dropped crocks and glasses though.
 Kitchen flooring - Dutchie
They are unforgiving A.C Daughter got the kitchen floor tiles crack very easy and difficult to clean and never look clean either.B.I.L.fitted lamianate for me in the kitchen diner.Easy to keep clean and strong heavy domestic use.He glued some parts near the sink and back door to stop water.
 Kitchen flooring - Lygonos
Laminate?

You'll all be living in faux-Tudor Barratt boxes next.
 Kitchen flooring - Dog
>>You'll all be living in faux-Tudor Barratt boxes next<<

Most of em do m8 :(
Had a look at ours last night - as I did so it all came back to me...

Sealed brick floor throughout four rooms, including the kitchen.
Here's an idea, eat your cake and have it.

A mate's got laminate on his bathroom floor that looks like tiles, rather than wood. You'd swear it was tiled if you didn't know. Laminate-that-looks-like-tiles is far more convincing than laminate-that-looks-like-wood.
All the advantages of tiles in appearance, but without the cold feet[1], the cost and things bounce when dropped.

[1] If you do go for tiles, add in the cost of a heating system to go under them. You'll curse 'em otherwise.
 Kitchen flooring - Roger.
We have laminate which looks like tiles in our kitchen and it is easy to clean, warm(ish) underfoot and looks good.
Last edited by: Roger on Tue 30 Oct 12 at 09:05
 Kitchen flooring - legacylad
Tiles for me. Most kitchens are warm (ish) rooms, but underfloor heating a bonus, although in most cases not possible...at least piped hot water isn't unless major work is envisaged.
Had Amtico previously in bathrooms which was nice.
Surely the warmth of a room has little to do with the nature of the flooring since a comparatively small proportion of the the heat is lost through the floor. I somehow doubt that a thin layer of vinyl is a much better insulator than a ceramic tile. I guess wood would be the best alternative if one was concerned with heat loss.
 Kitchen flooring - Lygonos
The point of the underfloor heating is to make the tiles warmer under (bare) foot, rather than to warm the room.
Isn't it easier ti put a pair of slippers on?
 Kitchen flooring - Ted

Our scullery maid doesn't have any shoes but she finds the Amtico acceptable.

Ted
 Kitchen flooring - Kevin
>Our scullery maid doesn't have any shoes but she finds the Amtico acceptable.

Maybe we could hold a collection Ted.

What size are you is she?
 Kitchen flooring - Ted

Size 9...red killer heels for me, please !

Ted
 Kitchen flooring - Kevin
Kinky Boots Ted?
>> Size 9...red killer heels for me, please !

These kill our oak flooring, so I'm sorry to say totty cannot tot in our house.
>> Tiles for me. Most kitchens are warm (ish) rooms, but underfloor heating a bonus, although
>> in most cases not possible...at least piped hot water isn't unless major work is envisaged.

You can get electric systems designed to go under floor tiles and produce just enough warmth to keep them foot-friendly in places like Wickes.
I would really recommend the electric under heating stuff. Our kitchen is really noticeably colder that the rest of the house and the only difference is that it has a large are of ceramic floor.

Even just to walk on the floor for a few minutes in bare (or socked) feet can be uncomfortable in winter
Interesting - we never go bare or socked feet anywhere in the house and never have done. Didn't know people even did!
 Kitchen flooring - Cliff Pope
>> Interesting - we never go bare or socked feet anywhere in the house and never
>> have done. Didn't know people even did!
>>

We commonly walk barefooted inside and out in a hot summer, when it's nice coming into the house and feeling the cold stone floor underfoot.
But I wouldn't cook in barefeet. A barbecue on the beach is different of course.
Wake up in middle of night, desperately in need of a glass of water. Do you:
a) Turn the light on, waking the wife, to find your slippers[1]?
b) Nip down barefoot?

For me, (b) is the only option, unless I fancy hearing about it for the next few months.

[1] Because as soon as you turn off the light, slippers hide themselves. Everyone knows that. Easy to prove too. Leave the light on and watch your slippers, they will not move.
I don't even know where to BEGIN with that one..:)

Unlikely to happen. But water is by bedside anyway. Wife is in another room anyway. Slippers are found where left, by bed just in case. Room has enough light to see. And sleep? Who gets sleep?
 Kitchen flooring - Zero
>> I don't even know where to BEGIN with that one..:)
>>
>> Unlikely to happen. But water is by bedside anyway. Wife is in another room anyway.
>> Slippers are found where left, by bed just in case. Room has enough light to
>> see. And sleep? Who gets sleep?

You the one who sleeps on the floor?
If you can call it that. I've been experimenting with a actual bed recently, but as ever, nausea, back ache, unsettled nonsense. Sigh.
 Kitchen flooring - VxFan
>> You can get electric systems designed to go under floor tiles and produce just enough
>> warmth to keep them foot-friendly in places like Wickes.

Is this underfloor heating just to warm the floor, or does it also warm the room too?

If the former, then it seems a waste of gas/electric just to make your bare feet feel warmer when walking on it.

Socks, and/or slippers are cheaper.
 Kitchen flooring - Zero
I rarely, in fact never, wear any footware about the house. Winter, spring Summer or Fa-all.
Our ground floor is laminate except for kitchen and cloakroom (vinyl). Usually I'm first up and being the 'tea furry'. Invariably barefoot.

Never noticed cold but floor, although concrete, is suspended/screeded rather than solid.

IIRC may have been different in old house where floor was directly on foundations.
>>
>> Is this underfloor heating just to warm the floor, or does it also warm the
>> room too?
>>

I believe you have a choice. You can operate it at a low level in conjuction with regular heating or elect to turn it up and use it as the sole heat source.

One thing you need to factor in is how much warmer a room feels when the floor's warm. I reckon you should be able to wind the overall room heat level down a bit with a warm floor.
 Kitchen flooring - Dog
What on Earth is this blimmin country coming to I wonder - Yule all be wanting a heated toilet seat next!
Or a bidet Dog that is posh.>;)
From what I've heard from other people the cost of running electric underfloor heating can be huge.
It could warm the room too (I have sat in conservatories in winter that are heated in this way), but it isn't cheap to run.
If I had it I would only take the edge off a cold floor and rely on gas etc. to do the main heating. Someone will have better numbers than me, but isn't gas around 3x cheaper per KWh than electricity?
Got me thinking about electricity.We have a electric fire in the living room as a back up with gas centtral heating.We often use the electric fire on its own looks nice with a coal effect.Suppose to use about 12 pence p/h not sure.What is cheap these days.If I had a proper chimmeny in the house I would use a wood stove.The daughter got the wood stove plenty of heat in the diner.
 Kitchen flooring - Roger.
Having lived in a flat (many, many years ago) with underfloor heating I can confirm that it's horrendously expensive to run.
Draws yer feet summat 'orrible an all. @Dog: specially if you've got yer wellies on indoors.
Avoid.
 Kitchen flooring - Mapmaker
I think underfloor heating gives a really horrid, stuffy heat. But then I like draughts and jumpers.
I am currently sitting with nice toes in a room with underfloor heating. I love it.
I used to have terrible draughts that froze my extremities off so this change is much appreciated.

Concerning costs of running it, I must say it was one of the best things we put in the house. I had huge arguments with the builders at the time because he insisted it would cook our feet, we wouldn't be able to walk on it sometimes it would be so uncomfortable, it would cost a fortune to run and as a result he had had to rip out installations from places where he had previously installed it.

Having looked into it I realised that if installed incorrectly or with the wrong kind of system all the things he said could be true.

For example, underfloor heating really wants to run quite cool. When ours is on you barely feel it. The room is just pleasantly warm; no cold or hot spots, but just right. There are wireless temperature sensors in each area that bring on the appropriate heating zone.

The next thing is that the heating really needs to be on automatic. Set the temperature and let it do its stuff - all year round. Potentially it could be demanding heat all the time and that is where it could get costly. Both gas and oil heating output at 60° which is far too hot for UF heating which really only needs 40°. So systems employ circuits that typically mix the returning colder water with the hot incoming water to provide the floor with the correct temperature. That solves the temperature imbalance issue, but it means that the heater could be firing on and off continuously 24/7. That's what causes the efficiency to fall dramatically and explains the complaint that it was expensive to run.

In ours I chose to buffer the gas heat output through a heat bank which basically acts like a heat capacitor allowing the boiler to cycle far less. The heat bank also does the temperature regulation which means that we don't need a mix-down circuit. Both of these mean that it is very efficient to run.
 Kitchen flooring - Dog
Neighb restored (actually, rebuilt) 200 year old stone cottage and installed:

www.icax.co.uk/underfloor_heating.html

Oil fired though - no gas up here, they're blimmin loaded anyway ;)
I wish we had a heated floor just to take the chill off. I'm sure the room is colder because the cold floor absorbs the heat from the room

On the subject of footwear in the house its more driven by having kids running in and out. If we didn't have a policy of shoes off at the door then they would bring god knows what in with them, and all through the house!
 Kitchen flooring - VxFan
>> I'm sure the room is colder because the cold floor absorbs the heat from the room

Heat rises though.
 Kitchen flooring - Dog
You could always fit one of these:

www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz/wickes/resources/images/gil/81.pdf
That's what we have got in the kitchen at the moment Dog. We don't have enough wall space for a conventional radiator. Simple, efficient and works well.
 Kitchen flooring - Dog
Yes, I'm been toying with the idea of fitting one myself, just to take the chill orf the tiles when it does turn cold.
Central heating radiator in the kitchen diner.Plus a standing oil filled radiator German made job.The oil filled radiator is very powerfull to hot on full mark.
 Kitchen flooring - Kevin
>Simple, efficient and works well.

That's what we have too. Kickspace I think it's called.

There's a fan speed control and a thermostat that switches it on/off depending on whether there is hot water flowing through it or not. I really need to change the wiring so that it's controlled by a separate room temp stat as well.
 Kitchen flooring - bathtub tom
I fitted a plinth heater in our new kitchen. Easy to wire and fit - the most expensive fan heater you'll ever buy!

We had the daughter's cat for a while (it's never gone back). It was put in the kitchen at night with a blanket. It managed to kick up the blanket into the heater controls, switching it on, whilst simultaneously obstructing the outlet (you couldn't make this up was the insurance assessors response). We came down in the morning to find a very hot kitchen, one very stressed moggy and a charred unit and door. Surprisingly, it didn't set off the smoke alarm.

The company that supplied the kitchen was sympathetic (once they stopped laughing) and provided replacement bits at less than trade price, such that the insurance wasn't claimed.
 Kitchen flooring - Zero
My kitchen has no heating, I took the radiator out, and it never seems to get cold.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 31 Oct 12 at 23:00
I suppose the need for heating t depends on how big the kitchen is, and how well the adjacent rooms are heated and whether you normally leave the door to a heated room open.
 Kitchen flooring - Armel Coussine
And whether there's an Aga, similar coal or oil or gas-fired range or hot water system in the room.

A bit of proper cooking will usually heat up the coldest kitchen. But any fule kno that.
"A bit of proper cooking will usually heat up the coldest kitchen. But any fule kno that."

When I was looking for a new house some years back my wife admired the expensive kitchen in one house. She particularly liked the range type gas cooker. The owner told her that is was a couple of years old but had never been used as she only used the microwave.
 Kitchen flooring - Dog
Same with many Rayburn type jobbies, when I got to know folk that had them, I thought wow that's a grate idea :)

But it soon dawned me that they actually used a "proper" stove for most of their cooking.
 Kitchen flooring - -
Late to this.

Our kitchen is on ceramic tiles, the whole bungalow is on suspended concrete beam floors, consequently the kitchen floor was ice cold.

We wanted a warmer softer floor as well as a change so had the existing tiles covered in that liquid screed stuff (don't know the name) and then some reasonably expensive cushionfloor over the top.

The result is very pleasing, i suppose its obvious what it is if thats of concern, its a charcoal coloured slate effect (white gloss kitchen cupboards), but some 6 to 8 years later it shows no signs of wear despite SWMBO living in her heels plus loony dog rushing about, easy peasy to clean not as i'm guilty of that..;) much warmer, as a bonus is grippy too, and won't cost much to replace when the time comes.
Latest Forum Posts