Non-motoring > Music sharing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 8

Music sharing - BobbyG
Having spent a lot of time tidying out my music / itunes etc I reckon its time I started adding to my music collection. Last album bought was Adele's 21. Can't remember the last one before that......

I prefer buying CDs rather than downloads as missus still plays CDs in her car and it also makes it easier to give someone a loan of it.........

And on that note, I was thinking out loud at work and a general discussion ensued whereby a group of us were saying that, on principle, we could set up some sort of music sharing group whereby either everyone buys 1 CD a month and then everyone gets to share them, or we all chip in money and pick CDs to buy between us for sharing.

Obviously the point would be to take it home, download onto laptop and then pass on to next person.

Couple of concerns for me
a. I might quickly run out of modern type music that I want
b. It will probably become time consuming to organise

Has anyone got a similar type set up that they could share their experiences on? Assume it is kind of technically illegal so would probably not be organised via the work email!
 Music sharing - Roger.
File sharing is against copyright laws - is this not similar? :-)
 Music sharing - rtj70
>> Obviously the point would be to take it home, download onto laptop and then pass on to next person.

Which as you know is illegal ;-) No technically about it. You don't have the CD so you no longer have the right to listen.

I would say if sharing it like this is the aim, downloading albums is the way to go. You can always write to a CDR/CDRW for the car. And I once lost lots of CDs when a car was stolen so I never kept originals in the car after that. Hundreds of pounds worth lost.

I think your concern (a) is valid... I'd soon run out of music I'd want. The music I tend to download is based on artists I've liked on the radio. Sometimes I browse the station's playlists too.
 Music sharing - No FM2R

As for a), who knows? but I'd be surprised. There is a phenomenal amount of good music out there that you've never heard of. Listening to someone else's choices is as good a way as any of finding it.

>>b. It will probably become time consuming to organise

No reason why it should be. Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs;

A music file has two aspects to its identification. Obviously one is its filename. The other are what are known as its tags. These include identities such as artists, album, track number, track artist etc.

These are completed automatically when you rip a CD. They can be completed either completely manually, or semi-automatically using something like MP3Tag.

Whichever, manipulating those tags is easy, and how you keep stuff organised.

Simplistically, the way you set your rip settings in media player, will also reorganise your directory structure for new and existing files, including renaming them.

So if you set Media Player up properly in the first place, then you'll have no issues going forward. I haven't found anything which suits me as well as Media Player, there are other tools, always recommended as vastly superior to MP in one way or another, I have never found them to be so.

Do rip them lossless though and store them outside iTunes. That'll keep your flexibility.

All of which doesn't change the fact that the sharing you’re talking about is illegal. Be aware and wary.

Music sharing - BobbyG
Sorry No FM2R, I was meaning the admin involved in getting everyone to buy CDs, share them etc. Didn't mean from the computer side of things!

Has anyone got a link to the exact rules on ownership, googleing throws up all sorts of info but I am wondering if you have 5 people, they will all part own the music??
 Music sharing - No FM2R
>>Has anyone got a link to the exact rules on ownership,

Finding something definitive is difficult as "definitive" normally means proved in court, and the rights holders are trying to avoid a flat out fight in court. There is a big difference between uploading and downloading.

Basically I understand the position as this for CD ownership;

You are given the right to own that CD and play it for your private enjoyment. You are NOT given the right to make a copy for your own backup. However, if you do so and then the rights owner tried to sue you for this, they would fail in that there is no loss incurred.

If you try to maintain that the 5 copies you have made are for the 5 separate co-owners, the rights owner can return to the point that not only have you made an unauthorised copy, there IS a loss incurred since you should have bought 5 CDs.

If you distribute that copy outside the "co-owners" then you would stand no chance.

None of these points relate to the likelihood of being caught, prosecuted or sued.
 Music sharing - VxFan
>> I prefer buying CDs rather than downloads as missus still plays CDs in her car
>> and it also makes it easier to give someone a loan of it.........

Why not just burn your downloads to CD? After all said and done, all you're doing is making a backup copy of your downloads ;)
 Music sharing - No FM2R
>>Why not just burn your downloads to CD? After all said and done, all you're doing is making a backup copy of your downloads ;)

Euphemisms and winks don't make it legal. Neither do they stand up in court.

Getting caught and/or prosecuted is unlikely. But don't pretend.
 Music sharing - Armel Coussine
My musician son-in-law, who has his own band but works sessions and tours with other musicians, says the bottom has been knocked out of the recording industry by Youtube essentially: bands can't prevent their videos and live performances being filmed and released immediately onto the internet where people can get them for nothing.

Obviously this has been going on for some time and he's resigned about it. Some say journalism and book publishing are rapidly going down the same, er, toilet.

All things must pass, and the internet hasn't finished with us yet. Let's hope it doesn't inadvertently do for us completely.
Latest Forum Posts