Non-motoring > Hurricane Sandy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 66

Hurricane Sandy - henry k
A bit more detail of the predicted areas that will suffer.

google.org/crisismap/2012-sandy-nyc

google.org/crisismap/sandy-2012
 Hurricane Sandy - Meldrew
Friend of mine is there having disembarked a New England cruise ship. Due out today by BA - leaving Saturday on Swiss(air).
 Hurricane Sandy - Dutchie
What was that replica Bounty doing at sea travelling from Florida? Its sank now and two crewmembers missing.The Captain can't have listened to the weather forecast or ignored it and took a change.
 Hurricane Sandy - rtj70
No idea why it was at sea. Probably sank and crew members missing. Some people take too many risks in life.

Some colleagues in USA at the moment but they're not too near where this is. In an effected state but probably just heavy rain and strong winds.
 Hurricane Sandy - MD
A
 Hurricane Sandy - L'escargot
>> What was that replica Bounty doing at sea travelling from Florida? Its sank now and
>> two crewmembers missing.The Captain can't have listened to the weather forecast ........

If it was a true replica, the captain wouldn't have had the equipment necessary to access modern weather forecasts.
 Hurricane Sandy - rtj70
You probably know it was not a true replica. It was built for the '62 Bounty movie and was made 1.5 times bigger than the original. It also had diesel engines. So I assume the controls and other equipment would have been upgraded later.

Do you really think someone would sail anything without modern coms. And they should have been aware of the weather forecast before they set out. So it's irrelevant what equipment was on the ship.
 Hurricane Sandy - L'escargot
>> You probably know it was not a true replica.

Nope. I spend too much time on here and not enough reading newspapers or listening to the news.
 Hurricane Sandy - devonite
The Captain was washed ashore on a tropical Island, the Chieftain offered him a Coconut, and he replied "I`d rather have my bounty"
 Hurricane Sandy - No FM2R
Awful joke! Definitely worthy of a scowly face.
 Hurricane Sandy - Lygonos
I bet the Captain got 'death by Um Bongo' after that joke.
 Hurricane Sandy - DeeW
Sailing daughter said it was 'safer' at sea ... but not this time.
 Hurricane Sandy - Meldrew
15th floor, hotel restaurant closed, went out and bought the last of of the food in some corner store, only 5 days to wait for their flight and probably not covered by BA or their own travel insurance Act of God etc! I am glad I am here and going to Cambridge for the day tomorrow!
 Hurricane Sandy - Fursty Ferret
Probably incredibly bad taste but have just put on the DVD of “The Day After Tomorrow". Although I do plead guilty to owning such a terrible film in the first place.
 Hurricane Sandy - Dog
Good film (IMO) watched it twice ... see you in New York Public Library ;)
 Hurricane Sandy - Zero
Its all going to be a damp squib. ]

I guess, like most of the north east coast tornadoes, its going to turn right around newfoundland and head our way. Expect a lot of rain in 4 or 5 days.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 Oct 12 at 22:23
>>Its all going to be a damp squib.

www.nytimes.com/
>>Its all going to be a damp squib

HA! - You are really Micheal Fish! - sussed you!
 Hurricane Sandy - Zero
>> >>Its all going to be a damp squib
>>
>> HA! - You are really Micheal Fish! - sussed you!

Sorry. My mistake. I assumed you might have cottoned on to the subtle nuances of "damp"
 Hurricane Sandy - Dog
Oh Sandy! www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtgOuBzlMM
 Hurricane Sandy - Roger.
Apart from folk who have relatives or friends in the affected areas, why would anyone in the UK give a damn about a weather event in the USA?

I'm sure the Americans follow OUR severe weather events just as avidly.................oh wait a minute, perhaps not!
 Hurricane Sandy - CGNorwich
What an extraordinarily narrow interest in the world's events you have Roger. Are you not curious about what happens beyond our shores?
 Hurricane Sandy - Roger.
Only if it affects us.
How odd.
 Hurricane Sandy - Focusless
Thought it might be interesting just as an example of an extreme weather event, even if you don't feel anything for millions affected?
>> Only if it affects us.
>>
It does of course affect us in so many ways.
It could be a big list.
 Hurricane Sandy - Dutchie
Roger has a point.Non stop reporting about the hurricane in the States.I could be wrong but problaby the majority of Americans won't find the UK on the Map.
Even if this were to be true why would be equally blinkered and parochial be a good thing?

Hurricane Sandy - Zero
>> Roger has a point.Non stop reporting about the hurricane in the States.I could be wrong
>> but problaby the majority of Americans won't find the UK on the Map.

Possibly they don't, but thats no reason why we shouldn't know or be interested in whats happening over there.
 Hurricane Sandy - Zero
>> Only if it affects us.

Roger me old mate, this may strike you a bit hard, I hate to break it to you.

We don't have an empire any more. We don't control what happens in the world to our advantage. We are controlled by events elsewhere, you may not like it but thats the strength of it. You probably wont like the news we cant shut ourselves off from the rest of the world and survive on our own either.

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 30 Oct 12 at 19:56
 Hurricane Sandy - Zero
The ConEd power plant in lower east side manhattan exploding.

www.youtube.com/embed/68pChI9HknE?
 Hurricane Sandy - VxFan
Just been watching Sky News. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in New York; they've got trees in the shops already.
 Hurricane Sandy - Cliff Pope

>>
>> We don't have an empire any more. We don't control what happens in the world
>> to our advantage.
>>

You mean when we had a navy and an empire we could control hurricanes worldwide?
 Hurricane Sandy - Zero
Oh yes of course. We managed to make the sun never set on the empire. Hurricanes was easy.
 Hurricane Sandy - Roger.

>> We don't have an empire any more. We don't control what happens in the world
>> to our advantage.

Yes, a shame it is, too! ;-)
 Hurricane Sandy - Dog
>>Yes, a shame it is, too! ;-)<<

Ah, but ... the few that had all the spondulics, weren't giving any of it away to the many, and there wasn't much Social-ism about in "those days" either.

Still, at least they had the workhouse to look forward to, if one was in Dire Straights.

:-(
Roger, I'd rather be watching America being flushed away like the turd it is, than yet more Jimmy Savile/BBC guilt-trip rubbish ;-)
 Hurricane Sandy - Dog
>>I'd rather be watching America being flushed away like the turd it is<<

Amen to that, brother.
 Hurricane Sandy - commerdriver
What a sad attitude to an entire nation
I like the US and by and large the Americans.
 Hurricane Sandy - VxFan
>> large the Americans.

It's all that fast food they eat ;)
Looking at these Lygonos, your comment seems harsh and uncalled for. IMO, of course.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20138994
 Hurricane Sandy - Zero
It has been interesting to see how NY has coped, and equally interesting to see how well NY recovers, It will be pretty quick I wager, and even more interesting to compare this to Katrina and New Orleans.

If one was in a charitable mood one could say that FEMA has learned and incorporated lessons from Katrina, which would to an extent be true. If one was in a less charitable mood one could say its location and political will that will ensure speedy recovery. The truth lies between.

Mitt Romney has some awkward questions to answer, his announced agenda is to disband FEMA because its too Federal.
Shouldn't work that way of course, but this will have a bigger effect on the election than any TV debates
 Hurricane Sandy - Falkirk Bairn
Pictures I have seen today

1)Dozens of yellow cabs under 3 feet of water
2)Leisure craft of all sizes left high and dry

Question

Why didn't the put the boats where the yellow cabs are and the taxis where the boats are?
I just heard a rumor that the U.K is sending £20 Billion in Aid, "to our Allies over the pond"!
>>Mitt Romney has some awkward questions to answer, his announced agenda is to disband FEMA because its too Federal.
>>
>>Shouldn't work that way of course, but this will have a bigger effect on the election than any TV debates
>>
Romney was trying to campaign yesterday with his visit to a distribution centre.

The president was going great guns. " Cut out the red tape, do all that is required!. Any problems / hold ups then Call ME!!. Transport problems delivering key items? ( implied that he would call in the military to help).

Obama has all the fire power on his side.

Hurricane Sandy - Armel Coussine
>> rather be watching America being flushed away like the turd it is, than yet more Jimmy Savile/BBC guilt-trip rubbish ;-)

A bit severe about America Lygonos, but you are spot on about the Savile hand-wringing. There's a long, gossipy, well-informed and very entertaining piece in the London Review of Books, on the BBC's child abuse proclivities from the radio age to the present. But its author, Andrew O'Hagan, somehow manages to miss what I regard as the main point about the ghastly Savile, taken in like many others by the man's so-called 'zaniness', which any fool could see was a perfunctory, constructed thing.

I've completed a brisk thousand-word polemic on the subject which I am tempted to post here, although if I wasn't so idle I would be doorstepping and cold-calling up and down Grub Street in the hope of getting some money for it. But I suppose putting it here wouldn't really interfere with that.
 Hurricane Sandy - Focusless
>> which I am tempted to post here, although if I wasn't so idle I would be doorstepping
>> and cold-calling up and down Grub Street in the hope of getting some money for it.

Go on AC - you know a green thumb is priceless :)
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 31 Oct 12 at 13:45
 Hurricane Sandy - Roger.
We pay Green Thumb to fertilise & weedkill our lawn.
I can't believe I only got 1 gong for that joke considering the levels of sanctimony that can be displayed in the forum.

Must try harder.
bit late to do the "I was only joking" line I think
bit late to do the "I was only joking" line I think

Nah! - never too late, tis an "approved" escape route! - and the fact he only got one gong, means that obviously more people agree with him, but he beat them to the joke! ;-)
>> more people agree with him
didn't see any thumbs up, anyway poor taste, judging by the time maybe a little tired & emotional
whatever
Smiley face hints at humour.

Get a sense of one.

And no 'tired and emotional' for me - I'm offensive stone cold sober.
like I said, whatever
time to move on
:-)
 Hurricane Sandy - John H
>> I can't believe I only got 1 gong
>>

How can you tell it is only 1 gong?

Stick another on it and see what happens.
 Hurricane Sandy - John H
>> Stick another on it and see what happens.
>>

No change. It takes a few before you get the next "grumpy" stage of the drunk's red face.

;-)
I noticed - I stuck one on FF's post as an experiment and the face didn't 'evolve'!
 Hurricane Sandy - Armel Coussine
I've given you one too Lygonos. And the expression did change when I did it.

Eat your heart out Zero.

Er,

:o}
 Hurricane Sandy - Zero
If you are really so keen to get one...
 Hurricane Sandy - Kevin
>A bit more detail of the predicted areas that will suffer.

And who predicted it one week before it happened.

video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/49620990#49620990
 Hurricane Sandy - Ambo
Today's Irish Times reports 98 dead so far, 40 in New York.
News flash- NY marathon is being cancelled

I am guessing that they cold not pump out a tunnel in time.
 Hurricane Sandy - rtj70
No there's been a backlash that it was going ahead. The route was clear apparently.
Latest Forum Posts