Non-motoring > Happy Halloween Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 57

Happy Halloween - Zero
Nice google doodle today - click on the doors, and have your sound on.

Also, why not - its worthy of another look

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA

Preferable to this version I think

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMj4xe1wKeA

Anyway, start the anti Halloween rants here ^^^^^^^^^^^ and the more general anti US rants here ^^^^^^^^^^

Happy Halloween - bathtub tom
I like the spider.
 Happy Halloween - Roger.
"Happy Halloween"
I suppose one can be happy if one hated the departed!
 Happy Halloween - devonite

Anyway, start the anti Halloween rants here ^^^^^^^^^^^

Originally it was the pagan feast of Samhaim - the celebration and remembrance of the dead Ancestors.
Halloween, (all Hallows Eve) is the Christian version.

and the more general anti US rants here ^^^^^^^^^^

Trick or Treat is the Americanisation of the Feast, in reality it`s a "Training" module for future MP`s to teach "obtaining Profit from the Masses via use of Threat".
 Happy Halloween - Robin O'Reliant
This is the night I begin to warm to Jimmy Savile and Gary Glitter.
 Happy Halloween - zookeeper
now then, now then RR
How's about that then, owaowaowaowaowa.
 Happy Halloween - Armel Coussine
I once answered the front door in our old London gaff having come down from the third floor, only to be confronted by a trick-or-treating nipper and her protective mum. I have been tortured by guilt in the couple of decades since then, at the memory of the dismay on their faces when I snarled something like, 'Good God, what are you, Americans or something? You've brought me down from the third floor for nothing...'

If you want to sleep easily don't be nasty, just give them a toffee.
 Happy Halloween - Focusless
>> If you want to sleep easily don't be nasty, just give them a toffee.

Bought a couple of bags of Asda bite-sized Snickers copies last night for that purpose, hoping of course that no one comes to the door and I have to eat them myself.
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 31 Oct 12 at 14:28
 Happy Halloween - NortonES2
Liquorice Allsorts. Take plenty, I'll say:)
Last edited by: NIL on Wed 31 Oct 12 at 14:33
 Happy Halloween - Ted

I'm not expecting a lot, usually the main lot are next door's little ones with Dad watching from the pavement.

At the first shouts of ' trick or treat ' I usually reply ' Treat please '. That throws them and we have a minute or two where they try to convince me that it is they who want the treat.

I make 'em work for their lollipops !

I've yet to have the bottle to burst out of my front door with a horror mask on, brandishing my ( non-running ) chain saw....I don't want a broken nose from dad !

Ted
 Happy Halloween - bathtub tom
Chocolate covered sprouts?
 Happy Halloween - legacylad
S'pose i had better head off to the gym & sauna as darkness approaches. Then loiter in the pub drinking Goose Eye Brewery Chinook until all the little blighters are tucked up in bed.
They can come a knocking quite late I have been told....
Man maths. Beer MUST be cheaper than a bag of sweeties surely?
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 31 Oct 12 at 15:20
I usually bring out "Cardboard Shep"** and change the door-chime to "Woof-Woof - woof" that generally deters them, - but this year I can`t be bothered, must be mellowing!

** A cardboard cut-out of a sitting Alsation, painted black and placed in the vestibule, through the patterned glass door it looks like a silhouette!

works when Jehova`s witnesses are in the area too!
Last edited by: devonite on Wed 31 Oct 12 at 15:36
 Happy Halloween - Bromptonaut
Neighbourhood watch giave us a police branded 'no thanks' notice. It'll go in front door window.
I thought of sitting at the upstairs window with my air rifle and a tin of pellets, but there is bound to be some stupid nanny law banning it.
 Happy Halloween - Lygonos
>> but there is bound to be some stupid nanny law banning it.

Yeah.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4134694.stm
 Happy Halloween - DeeW
Afraid I am not sure your police branded notice will work. I was given one for the front door which was applied carefully by the retired policeman who supplied it (from the Blue Lamp Trust). This one said I did not buy from cold callers.
I had a young Northern lad knock on the door one evening a few weeks ago - so I pointed to the ... um .. space where the notice had been half an hour before.
 Happy Halloween - Fursty Ferret
Heading out on the bike at 7pm. Just seen the weather forecast, should think coming home pale, shivering and covered in mud and (usually in my case) blood should scare the li'l basterds away.
 Happy Halloween - Runfer D'Hills
7pm ? Way too late. The little ones will be out as soon as it's dark mark my words. Beaming parents will stand at the end of your path and you will be expected to look happy to be serially fleeced by the little sods. You'll find sticky paw marks on your car in the morning too. They're incapable of walking up drives without fingering cars.
 Happy Halloween - Zero

>> You'll find sticky paw marks on your car in the morning too. They're incapable of
>> walking up drives without fingering cars.

Dont get that with the Lancer funnily enough. Must be a drug dealers car thing.
Yes, I could imagine the yummy mummy brigade in Surrey telling little Tristram and Henrietta not to touch that horrid nasty old car but to be polite because the old gentleman who lives here often gets cross...

:-)
 Happy Halloween - Zero
you forgot

"the old gentleman that smells of wee"
I stand corrected !
 Happy Halloween - Zero
See? I knew the being right thing would not last long for you, still you had your moment of fame.
 Happy Halloween - No FM2R
Bless 'em, I quite like the kids coming around. the local kids informed me, when I asked, that they do not call on any house unless it is showing Halloween decorations. Seems reasonable.

Also, for the last two years there's been a group of teenage females coming around in fancy dress school uniforms. I owe it to them to keep a large supply of sweets to share.

I guess I'll miss them this year.

[sigh]
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 31 Oct 12 at 16:07
 Happy Halloween - Zero
GARRY! They let you out then.
 Happy Halloween - Roger.
Halloween - Bah, humbug.

I'm just getting in practice for the Christmas season of forced jollity, goodwill and ringing shop tills !!
 Happy Halloween - henry k
>> Halloween - Bah, humbug.
>>
I agree.
It was not raining hard enough to deter several cohorts from doing the rounds.
Many were in designer costumes but not as noisy as previous years.

I move the car off the drive, switch lights off and hunker down in a rear room in the hope that it appears that nobody is at home. Ah, Silent night!!

Bah, humbug again.

Happy Halloween - Roger.
Teenagers - no ta!
Mature ladies are much more desirable!!
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 31 Oct 12 at 17:37
It's belting down with rain here, thank God.
 Happy Halloween - Pat
Well, thank you Roger:)

Pat
 Happy Halloween - mikeyb
We will get loads (probably had 6 or 7 visits so far), but most of the visitors will be friends of the kids / Mrs B's friends kids. Don't get any over about age 10, although its raining quite hard here so that may deter a few.

This may deter a few knockers though

tinyurl.com/bnfwtdz

Happy Halloween - R.P.
None here - this is a zombie village though. Roll on the Nuke to bring some life to the place.
 Happy Halloween - Kevin
>Chocolate covered sprouts?

Wrapped in Ferrero Rocher foil?

Mum was once given a huge box of Ferrero as a thank-you gift from someone she'd helped. The dog loved 'em.
 Happy Halloween - Crankcase
Having rushed home to carve the pumpkin, light it and put it in the window, we had loads of callers in this village. Some of them were excellent. Real effort put into the costumes. Did the pretending to be scared bit, handed over chocolate, cheery wave to the local mums and dads, big grins on kids faces. All over by 7:30.

What's not to like?
 Happy Halloween - mikeyb
>> Having rushed home to carve the pumpkin, light it and put it in the window,
>> we had loads of callers in this village. Some of them were excellent. Real effort
>> put into the costumes. Did the pretending to be scared bit, handed over chocolate, cheery
>> wave to the local mums and dads, big grins on kids faces. All over by
>> 7:30.
>>
>> What's not to like?
>>

Much the same here - must have had over 50+ kids collectively call though the evening, but none in the last hour. My kids went out with their friends and had a good (but wet) time, and have also enjoyed being dressed up and opening the door to callers. Only 2 lads had made no effort, but at least they had a sense of humour
 Happy Halloween - Haywain
"The dog loved 'em."

Did the dog survive? I'm told that chocolate is poisonous to dogs.
 Happy Halloween - Kevin
>Did the dog survive? I'm told that chocolate is poisonous to dogs.

No. He died about 10 years later.
 Happy Halloween - Haywain
"No. He died about 10 years later."

Ah, I suspect that's because of the high sawdust/low chocolate content.
 Happy Halloween - Dog
No knockers up here - no cold callers, no JW's, and no smarmy salesmen.

:-))
 Happy Halloween - Bromptonaut
The Lad has gone to a party dressed up like a member of Kiss.

Just hope he doesn't get stopped while driving our 'lingo.
 Happy Halloween - R.P.
Had some fireworks next door - Older dog loves them, insists on going out - the pupster not so sure but he'll have to be toughened up.
Thought I had missed them all, but had one set of late callers after returning home from my local.
I don't keep chocolate in the house, and refuse to hand over hard earned 'beer tokens' so they graciously accepted a tin of grapefruit segments. In date too.
I try to be different.
Serves you right for leaving the pub when it was still open.
 Happy Halloween - Zero
Like you have never been thrown out of a boozer before closing time.
Have always been more of an early doors person. Straight to local from work, home by 8 (or 9), solids, bed. Not healthy going to bed on a full stomach but I'm an early riser, often down the gym before work.
Of course I've been thrown out, but only you could believe that was the same as leaving.

You are allowed to leave of your own accord sometimes, you know? Even you.
 Happy Halloween - rtj70
The local at the end of the road where I grew up would it seems have a lock in. This was years ago and previous owners/managers. When the police came in the only time I was there that late... their drinks were already on the bar waiting for them.
 Happy Halloween - Clk Sec
We haven't had any trick or treaters around for a couple of years now. I still make sure that we have some loose change to hand, but no takers.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Thu 1 Nov 12 at 12:48
Poor old Emma-Lou (our Barmaid) said it cost her a fortune last night, she "forgot" to get Sweets in for treats, so when the first two "little Darlings" arrived she gave them 50p each,(big mistake!) She said they were on their phones before they got to the end of the path, no doubt txting "No9 is giving cash". Group after group were turning up, some more than once!
 Happy Halloween - Roger.
>> No knockers up here -
>>

I like knockers. ;-)
 Happy Halloween - Dog
Udders & teats a'plenty up here.

:-(
 Happy Halloween - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20172392

Children were handed packets of cocaine instead of sweets on a Halloween trick-or-treating trip, Greater Manchester Police have said.

Trick or Toot.
Are you envious too Lygonos?

:o}
Nah - never been on my list of 1000 stupid things to do before you die - coke seems to be a moron amplification device from the actions of patients I've known to be users.

I don't need help in that department.
Tee hee... very cogent comrade. Quite right of course. Harrumph.
Latest Forum Posts