Non-motoring > Fewer people to be sent to jail! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 22

Fewer people to be sent to jail! - Falkirk Bairn
Is this because crime is falling?

No!

Softer sentences for all

tinyurl.com/bf5e93k
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - John H
justice in action reported yesterday. All walked out of court with suspended sentences despite the fact that "Between them they had 21 previous convictions, the court heard, many for violence."

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2225697

Fewer people to be sent to jail! - Lygonos
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-20168678

32 months for repeatedly stabbing an infirm alky, while on bail, with a sheet with 50 offences on it.

Sounds a tad lenient.
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - zippy
Imho, she should be in jail.

"the judge spared her a prison sentence for the sake of those children"

For the sake of those children they should be removed from her and put in to the care of a decent caring parent who will not bring them up to attack people for no reason. Where are social services when they are needed?
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - Bromptonaut
Does sending them to jail improve them?

Is warehousing people most with all sorts of social and mental health problems at £40k year cost to exchequer helping anybody?
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - Lygonos
Is it any worse than giving them £25k of benefits while they continue to batter people and act antisocially?

Fewer people to be sent to jail! - No FM2R
>>Is it any worse than giving them £25k of benefits

Both just as bad. Don't do either.
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - CGNorwich
I think I am right in saying that percentage is our jail population is about the highest in Europe. Are we more criminal than countries like France and Germany?
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - zippy
I think there should be a distinction between violent crime and non violent crime. The former should almost always end up being severely punished imho.
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - -
Am i the only one who wants to scream, this is exactly what happens when youngsters are not disciplined when needed from an early age, they end up as feral disgusting completely useless adults, who go on to breed the subsequent generations of feral etc....and often enough we pay them to do so.

So to compound the problem, when they eventually end up seriously some innocent *passer by they then get another chance to carry on exactly as they have since childhood...i really do give up.

*unless innocent passer by happens to be someone important....thats the bit that riles me more than anything, who decides who's important enough to deserve justice, didn't Mr Khuram Nisar qualify as important enough to be able to walk through the town without being assaulted by apparently female trash.
>> Is this because crime is falling?
>>
>> No!
>>
>> Softer sentences for all
>>
>> tinyurl.com/bf5e93k

Does this relate to you folks in Scotland? Whitehall's weak grasp on what devolution means is exceeded only by that of the press.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 1 Nov 12 at 20:39
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - Falkirk Bairn
It's been going on for years up here..............no prison sentences less than 6 months.

To get into prison you need to have

1) Convicted of a very serious crime, better to have a few
2) Have previous convictions - preferably for a serious offence
3) Previously been given community services and failed to complete, even after court warnings to carry out the litter clearing etc .

I was on jury duty, 22 yrs old the thug broke a bystanders jaw near a pub - victim required operation & facial surgery. He pled not guilty, found guilty...........community service. He had some 2 previous convictions.
12 months later, he was convicted of the same offence of serious assault with a brick............he got 6 months.........out in 3 months.
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - L'escargot
Our jails are too luxurious. They (and the treatment of the prisoners) should be like in the film Cool Hand Luke.
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - Duncan
If Tescos ran the prisons, it would be less people sent to jail!
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - Zero
I would want the Luxury Jail, the basics range might be a bit uncomfortable. And come out with clubcard points.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 2 Nov 12 at 09:08
>> If Tescos ran the prisons, it would be less people sent to jail!

A fair chunk of the prison estate is already in private hands. I don't think there's a great deal of evidence that it delivers better re-offending outcomes than the state run places.
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - John H
>> >> If Tescos ran the prisons, it would be less people sent to jail!
>>
>> A fair chunk of the prison estate is already in private hands. I don't think
>> there's a great deal of evidence that it delivers better re-offending outcomes than the state
>> run places.
>>

Do the private companies have a free hand on the standards of human rights luxury to be provided, or is that dictated by pen pushers in Whitehall and Brussels?

ISTR that it costs about £500 a day to keep a person in jail.
Last edited by: John H on Fri 2 Nov 12 at 09:33

>> Do the private companies have a free hand on the standards of human rights luxury
>> to be provided, or is that dictated by pen pushers in Whitehall and Brussels?
>>
>> ISTR that it costs about £500 a day to keep a person in jail.

Contrary to popular belief there's not much luxury in prisons. Even if the cells are OK the rest is not. Various ex cons including the Guardian's Eric Allison and Jeffery Archer write realistically on the subject.

I believe the benchmark figure is £40k per year, bit less in low security but more for Cat A.
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - Zero
>> Our jails are too luxurious. They (and the treatment of the prisoners) should be like
>> in the film Cool Hand Luke.

Corrupt and inhumane you mean?
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - L'escargot
>> >> Our jails are too luxurious. They (and the treatment of the prisoners) should be
>> like
>> >> in the film Cool Hand Luke.
>>
>> Corrupt and inhumane you mean?
>>

Yep.
Hardly a ringing endorsement for the success of the US prison system though was it?
 Fewer people to be sent to jail! - Cliff Pope
Perhaps there should be a basic National Prison Service to which everyone is entitled, free at the point of use, but also higher graded options with private wings where prisoners could pay for a better service.
The latter could be run at a profit, subsidising the basic service. It would also be a way of recouping some of the criminals' depredations, because they could spend some of their proceeds of crime in the public good.
Some interesting government statistics on the current prison population It's the percentage suffering from mental disorders that I find staggering.

47% of male sentenced prisoners and 50% of female sentenced prisoners had run
away from home as a child. This compares to 10% of the general population.

Over 25% of prisoners had been taken into care as a child compared to 2% of the population.

43% of prisoners had a family member that had been convicted of a criminal offence.

35% had a family member that had actually been in prison.

81% of prisoners were unmarried prior to imprisonment, rising to 85% since imprisonment. Almost 10% had been divorced. These figures are twice as high as those found in the general population.

One-quarter of young male offenders in prison are young fathers.

One in five women prisoners were living at home with dependent children at the time of imprisonment.

One-half of male and one-third of female sentenced prisoners were excluded from school.

One half of male and seven out of ten female prisoners have no qualifications.
Two-thirds of prisoners have numeracy skills at or below the level expected of an 11 year old. One-half have a reading ability and 82% have writing ability at or below this level.

Two-thirds of prisoners were unemployed in the four weeks before imprisonment.

Around 70% of prisoners suffer from two or more mental disorders. In the general
population the figures are 5% for men and 2% for women.

Prisoners are more likely to be abusers of illegal drugs and alcohol than other sectors of the community.

Nearly three-quarters of prisoners were in receipt of benefits immediately before entering prison.

5% of prisoners were sleeping rough prior and almost one-third were not living in permanent accommodation immediately prior to imprisonment.
Latest Forum Posts