Non-motoring > Central heating pump replacement price Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 7

Central heating pump replacement price - Rudedog
I just wanted a rough idea of how much I should be paying to have my CH pump replaced including a drain and refill?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 2 Nov 12 at 10:31
 Centrap heating price - Zero
Depends on where you live, what pump you need and how compliant to filling and draining your system is. The average pump will cost about 100 quid, say about three hours labour, so in total about 3-400 quid.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 2 Nov 12 at 08:02
 Centrap heating price - smokie
If you are half handy and have the right tools it is a reasonably easy job, especially if you can get the same pump that you are taking off. Some systems won't need to be fully drained, as the pump might have stop cocks (or whatever they are called) either side. And pumps can be had for £60 or thereabouts.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 2 Nov 12 at 08:40
 Centrap heating price - Rudedog
Z, I'm in North Kent and I've been quoted £250 all in, the pump spec would be just a straight swap like for like (seems mine has burnt out after about 6 years), unfortunately both of the service valves have become corroded so the system would have to be drained to below the pump level.
 Centrap heating price - Falkirk Bairn
Had mine done 5 yrs ago - fixed price £120. £60 pump, £60 labour inc going for right pump after diagnosing it was the pump and not the wiring.

He had great difficulty getting the 15 yr old one off, took 2 hours rather than the hour he thought it would take. The stop cocks worked it was the Xmas tree of pipe size adapters either side of the pump that caused the grief.
 Centrap heating price - Zero
the Isolation valves rarely do their job, I dont know anyone who manages to undo the large flange nuts. I couldnt when I did mine.

Those 60 quid pumps? are they a good one? like a danfos? 250 quid is a good price down here.
 Centrap heating price - Rudedog
Thanks, that's put my mind at rest, I just had no idea what was a good starting point.
 Centrap heating price - Haywain
Last February, the plumber changed our 14yr old 5m head pump to a 6m head Grundfos 15-60 130 pump. He had done several jobs for me a few months earlier so called round while he was in the area; the charge was £120 inc around £95 for the pump (I think the pump is now nearer £110). As suggested above, the problem is the valves and flange nuts which tend to corrode - just the sort of problem for an amateur like me to make a real mess with!

BTW, we changed the pump because the radiators at the end of the line were barely warming up even after the system had been flushed out.

We live in East Anglia and have found it very valuable to suss out a decent plumber, electrician, computer-mender etc, then stick with them and cultivate a good working relationship.
Latest Forum Posts