Non-motoring > Bargains Thread - Volume 10   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 104

Bargains Thread - Volume 10 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 11 *****

More lovely bargains !

Post links in here of any offers/bargains that you come across. Need not be motoring but motoring related is of course welcome.

Previous volumes are below
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Volume 6
Volume 7
Volume 8
Volume 9

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 14 Dec 12 at 01:21

Car seat covers - henry k
www.carid.com/2002-jaguar-x-type-seat-covers/canine-covers-custom-seat-protector-1167246.html

20% off. A true bargain. I paused and then remembered we do not have a dog. :-(
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 3 Nov 12 at 17:37

Car seat covers - Runfer D'Hills
You can borrow mine to see if they work if you want. He's a bit extreme mind...

:-)
 Comet Fire-Sale. - mikeyb
I notice that the www.comet.co.uk website has been updated and now has a message from the administrators. It appears that the sale is about to start so there may be a few bargains for anyone who was planning to make an electrical purchase.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 3 Nov 12 at 19:23

Euro Car Parts - discount codes - Alanovich
SERVICE30 discount code at eurocarparts now giving 30% off engine oils and a free oil filter of your choice. Just reserved 5l of PD oil and a Bosch oil filter for 21 quid. The discount code also applies to all other standard service parts, so got 30% off my air an pollen filters too. £36 to service a TDi PD Galaxy. Not bad.

Euro Car Parts - discount codes - Zero
Yup used it last month. Plugs filters and oil.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 7 Nov 12 at 14:20

iPad3 16GB/wiFi and Cellular Ready from Santander - Meldrew
If you hold a Santander 1-2-3 Current Account or a 1-2-3 Credit card and invest £8000 in a 2 year fixed rate bond they will give you the iPad, up front and in lieu of any interest, notionally 3.83%

Martyn Lewis reckons this is a fair deal as the cost for the iPad is more than the interest on the bond However, your £8000 will depreciate over the 2 years and the iPad will be well down in value when it is 2 years old, at bond maturity. If you need a new bank account or credit card AND want an iPad this might be worth a look.

Details at tinyurl.com/bb4kobs

iPad3 16GB/wiFi and Cellular Ready from Santander - bathtub tom
Talking about Santander.

On a recent trip to Spain I discovered I could withdraw cash from Santander ATMs, with my Santander debit card, with no charges and got 1.25-1.26 Euros to the pound against 1.21, the best I could achieve before leaving the UK.

iPad3 16GB/wiFi and Cellular Ready from Santander - Meldrew
I have found that too BTT. I also get that sort of exchange rate on my credit card transactions abroad and no transaction fees if using their "Zero" card

iPad3 16GB/wiFi and Cellular Ready from Santander - lancara
Just make sure you don't press the "Yes" button when offered the option to have the transaction calculated at a fixed sterling rate - a commission fee is added - it's the old "dynamic currency conversion" rip-off
Last edited by: lancara on Fri 16 Nov 12 at 08:42

B&Q 20% off this weekend - madf
B&Q are offering 20% off all spend over £20 Friday to Sunday.. BUT

you need to join the B&Q club to obtain the vouchers..

tinyurl.com/bqzr6s9

another one who has ignored the "please note" comment at the start of the thread - edited and moved
Last edited by: Webmaster on Fri 23 Nov 12 at 18:00

B&Q 20% off this weekend - Clk Sec
>> B&Q are offering 20% off all spend over £20 Friday to Sunday.

And the 10% discount each Wednesday for the over 60s is still on offer:

www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/templates/content_lookup.jsp?content=/content/support/services/diamond_card/index.jsp

B&Q 20% off this weekend - Dog
>>And the 10% discount each Wednesday for the over 60s is still on offer<<

Blimey, that's me ... well I'll be damned!

:+)

B&Q 20% off this weekend - Ted

They call it Wet Wednesday, Bonzo. I think most of us just shuffle round with urine stained trousers.

Welcome to the club, ole mate !

Ted

B&Q 20% off this weekend - Clk Sec
Speak for yourself. I don't shuffle...
:)

B&Q 20% off this weekend - madf
>>
>> They call it Wet Wednesday, Bonzo. I think most of us just shuffle round with
>> urine stained trousers.
>>
>> Welcome to the club, ole mate !
>>
>> Ted
>>

At least we can remember to wear trousers and not pyjamas - which some Welsh stores have banned I believe...

B&Q 20% off this weekend - Duncan
>>
>> At least we can remember to wear trousers and not pyjamas - which some Welsh
>> stores have banned I believe...
>>

So what does R.P. do now then?

B&Q 20% off this weekend - zookeeper
LOL. blimey making your own gravy ...its worse during the damp season ...

B&Q 20% off this weekend - devonite
I prefer to make my own Gravy! - I find the granules too dry an crunchy!

Another Grouse... - Clk Sec
Available earlier today at Sainsbury's at £14 / Ltr.

Another Grouse... - CGNorwich
Bought one last year at your recommendation for £13. Just finished it so opportune timing.

Another Grouse... - Clk Sec
Likewise. Down to the last half an inch - now stocked-up for another year.

Same offer at Tesco, I believe.

Bombay Sapphire 1 litre GIN - madf
£17 at Sainsbury's instead of £26.. till 12/12 I think.

Australian Merlot case of 6 . Under £23 instead oif £60 plus.

Bombay Sapphire 1 litre GIN - CGNorwich
Got mine for £14 on Saturday!

Bombay Sapphire 1 litre GIN - -
Good number of potential AA recruits here...alcoholics anonymous that is...not the other one.

Bombay Sapphire 1 litre GIN - Clk Sec
>> £17 at Sainsbury's instead of £26.. till 12/12 I think.

And £16.39 at Morrisons - so I'm told.

Never tried it. How does it compare with Gordons?

Bombay Sapphire 1 litre GIN - Bromptonaut
>> Never tried it. How does it compare with Gordons?

It's in a different league to Gordons, or at least the ordinary Gordons. It's 40% abv rather than a weedy 36 to start with.

Bombay Sapphire 1 litre GIN - madf
>> >> Never tried it. How does it compare with Gordons?
>>
>> It's in a different league to Gordons, or at least the ordinary Gordons. It's 40%
>> abv rather than a weedy 36 to start with.
>>

Gordons is tasteless. Bombay Sapphire has a taste and flavour all of its own.

It 's like comparing Chateau Neuf Du Pape with a £4 bottle of red wine.

Bombay Sapphire 1 litre GIN - Mapmaker
Lidl's gin in green bottles at £8.99 is (albeit only 37%) a gin with decent Tanqueray-ish flavour IMO. Personally I'm no fan of Bombay Sapphire which I think is completely tasteless - in its own way.

I'll give it a try, and I'll report back. Eventually.

Thanks.

Bombay Sapphire 1 litre GIN - No FM2R
As one who considers himself a self-taught expert on all things Gin or Vodka related, may I push the panel towards Tanqueray No. Ten.

Absolutely superb. If one considers the distance from ordinary gin to Bombay Sapphire, then I think No. Ten is that much better again.

Love it. Love it. Love it.

In fact, now its come to mind, I'm just toddling off to the cabinet to prove it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 16 Dec 12 at 18:11

Bombay Sapphire 1 litre GIN - CGNorwich
Pricey though. Great art deco bottle.

Bombay Sapphire 1 litre GIN - sooty123
Sounds like a good price not far off Duty Free price. I think last bottle of Bombay Sapphire I got was £13 for the 47% stuff.

No FM2R, I spotted some Oriental Eastern blend (or similar named) of Bombay Sapphire in the duty free, you tried it? I thought about it but decided against it.

>>, you tried it?

I don't think so. I'll look out for it.

OK ta, seems it's only been out a year. So not in many places I would have thought yet.

Bombay Sapphire 1 litre GIN - Zero
In September 2011, Bombay Sapphire East was launched in test markets in New York and Las Vegas, USA. This variety has another two botanicals, Lemongrass and Black Peppercorns in addition to the original ten. It is bottled at 42% and was designed to counteract the sweetness of American tonic water.

C/O Wiki.

Yep I read that article too. In more places than that now but not many. Seems it's new stuff, seen as you're a gin man as well have you tried it? Nice to know beforehand if it's worth a duty free allowance.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 26 Nov 12 at 20:26

I support your Tanqueray habit, it is some of the best gin going (not as good as Mahon gin tho) but its too pricey over here to consider it a quaffing gin. And Nicole prefers her a little less aromatic and strong, she is a Gordons girl.

>>to consider it a quaffing gin.

All gin is a quaffing gin. And here we use pint glasses.

>>And here we use pint glasses.

And a pinch of salt, Mark?
;-)

>> >> £17 at Sainsbury's instead of £26.. till 12/12 I think.
>>
>> And £16.39 at Morrisons - so I'm told.

Bombay Saphire 15.95 a litre at my local sainsbury, also found Dows "trademark" finest reserve port at £6.95 down from £13.95

Tesco don't seemed to be joining in £21 still.

Aldi Irish Cream and other offers - Bromptonaut
Aldi have their 'Specially Selected' Ballycastle Irish Cream for ther Xmas period again. This is a differnt product to the standard version they sell year round and is very similar to the leading brand but £5.99/bottle.

They've also got a decent Calvados at around £15 and a range of old/rare ports, brandies and whiskies.

We had the Calavados last year and it went down well.

Aldi Irish Cream and other offers - CGNorwich
"This is a differnt product to the standard version they sell year round and is very similar to the leading brand but £5.99/bottle."

That bad eh. I guess tastes differ wildly but cream sugar and alcohol in the same glass simply doesn't appeal.

>> That bad eh. I guess tastes differ wildly but cream sugar and alcohol in the
>> same glass simply doesn't appeal.

Not my favourite tipple either CG but quite a few of the family who'll be around like it. And if they don't see the bottle they won't know it's not Baileys!!

Aldi Irish Cream and other offers - madf
>> >> That bad eh. I guess tastes differ wildly but cream sugar and alcohol in
>> the
>> >> same glass simply doesn't appeal.
>>
>> Not my favourite tipple either CG but quite a few of the family who'll be
>> around like it. And if they don't see the bottle they won't know it's not
>> Baileys!!
>>

I get given all sorts of bottles in the year and rather than offend by rejecting them, I drink them.. Baileys is actually quite nice: a less viscous kind of Advocaat..

I have still to open and finish a litre of vodka: I have not the heart to inform the donors I prefer gin...

Last edited by: madf on Mon 26 Nov 12 at 16:07

Aldi Irish Cream and other offers - Zero

>> That bad eh. I guess tastes differ wildly but cream sugar and alcohol in the
>> same glass simply doesn't appeal.

Thee is a man who never had the delights of his first irish Coffee at a schooner inn.....

Aldi Irish Cream and other offers - CGNorwich
Ah the delights of Watneys up-market dining. Actually there was a Schooner Inn quite near where I live, The Boat and Bottle now reincarnated as the Rushcutters. Considered quite sophisticated in its day.

I believe the local inn now known as Cromwell's Cottage was one of the last Berni Inns in the country.

Still a chain steak house but seems to trade well at weekends.

Aldi Irish Cream and other offers - Mr. Ecs
Next big thing!

WARNING- Contains swearing.

youtu.be/8AyVh1_vWYQ

Aldi Irish Cream and other offers - Roger.
The delights of Blue Nun or Mateus Rosé, combine with starters of prawn cocktail and puds. of Black Forest gateau.
On the other hand, I had my first ever taste of courgettes at a Berni Inn.
Oh, the sophistication of it!
Mind you, we bought Sainsbury's Spanish Sauternes in those far off days too, and Tesco's new store in Chalfont St. Peter was like a small Mom & Pop pound shop in its displays.
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 28 Nov 12 at 15:11

Free Amazon £2 MP3 voucher - Focusless
Something to do with Amazon Local, which I'd never heard of. But I just signed into my normal Amazon account, clicked 'buy', and it appeared in my account for no charge:
www.tunechecker.com/
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 28 Nov 12 at 22:13

Cheap greenhouse thermostat - madf
Want one for your electric fan heater?

tinyurl.com/cwvc5p8

£38 vs cheapest £52.

One left.

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - mikeyb
Waitrose launched a loyalty card a while back that didn't really appear to give much, but they just added a few new extras.

Every time you visit you can get a free tea / coffee in the cafe to drink in or take out, but the best bit is no spend required and you are allowed to request a free drink everyday if you so wish.

Also free Mail / Telegraph when you spend a fiver in store

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - henry k
>>Waitrose launched a loyalty card a while back that didn't really appear to give much, but they just added a few new extras.

I get a whole penny off my shopping when I flash my card:-)
I do get emails re offers etc.

After 4 x £50 min spends in the last month I now await £25 of vouchers to spend in January in store over four visits.
IMO Quite clever marketing but as I am a regular W shopper it is a no brainer.

Unless it is new there is no cafe in our nearest six Waitrose.

My JL CC also generates vouchers quarterly.

Large Tesco or Sainsburys are miles away so they are generally only viisited when passing by so their offers generally get diluted by mileage and time.

The penny off thing is a quirk of their system - everyone gets it.

Apparently someone shopping in our store who the draw for some free groceries

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - Focusless
>> After 4 x £50 min spends in the last month I now await £25 of
>> vouchers to spend in January in store over four visits.

Simplifying that to £25 off a £200 spend, that makes it only about twice as expensive as Asda :)

They've just finished doing a big revamp of the Waitrose in Bath, which is about 20 yards from my office. It's in a complex called The Podium, previously consisting of the store plus a load of smaller shops. Now it's just a substantially enlarged Waitrose - I haven't had a good look round yet, but it might well now have a cafe. If so, I shall be picking up my loyalty card application form on Monday.

Just looked at the Branch Finder - doesn't say anything about a cafe :(

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - crocks
I'm not a Waitrose shopper but my friend pops into the branch in Raynes Park just for a free coffee when she's passing.

At the Bath branch I see they are offering free hire of bicycle trailers. Never seen that before!

"This branch is introducing cycle trailers to help customers transport their shopping home by bike. Equipped with large canvas shopping bags, the trailers will be loaned out free of charge to any Waitrose customers who wish to use them."

IIRC the Podium has never had a very good occupancy rate. Waitrose bought the whole center from the owners - clever move as there is limited options to expand your offering in Bath.

Our branch has the cycle carriers - never used them myself, but have seen others with them.

>> Simplifying that to £25 off a £200 spend, that makes it only about twice as
>> expensive as Asda :)

Interestingly, on the few times I've used the asda price check thingy the difference has not been much, Tesco always come out as more expensive than waitrose

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - Focusless
>> Interestingly, on the few times I've used the asda price check thingy the difference has
>> not been much

My shop this morning was £71.66, and the price check gave Waitrose as being just £5.65 more expensive, less than 8% extra.

However, looking at the check details, the 2 figures were actually £18.85 versus £24.50, or 30% extra, as most of the items didn't have a Waitrose equivalent. And it's the big difference in things like the bakery apple pie - £1 in Asda, £3.39 in Waitrose - which put me off. Perhaps it's just that I don't have a sensitive enough palate to appreciate the difference in quality :)

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - Manatee
I can't really get to the bottom of this one in any scientific way.

Virtually any reasonable sized shop we do at any of Tesco, Sainsbury, Morrisons (Asda's too far away), will be cheaper at the one we went to because of the way we select on price - we buy more of genuine offers, so we select in favour of the shop we are in.

It's pretty clear it costs us more in Waitrose, and less in Aldi - allowing that we struggle to shop in Aldi, when we have tried we came out with very little to eat and a load of tut we didn't need. Probably need more practice.

I think I've reduced our costs quite a bit by shopping online, happens to be with Ocado (I reasoned that if that's all they do, they'd better be good at it). I got a one year delivery pass for about £70 (half price, if they want £140 to renew I'll defect) but as it would cost us at least £3 a time in fuel to fetch it, that's not bad even at full price.

The savings come from only buying what we need (easy to check what's in the fridge when ordering from home), being in a good position to price check properly before pressing the button on multibuys, and far less susceptibility to impulse buys.

Saves time as well. Tomorrow's delivery will come between 10-11am, and I won't have to lose the morning to get it - just break off what I'm doing for 15 minutes to put it away.

When you think about it, internet shopping for groceries makes even more sense than for durables. I don't need to see before I buy, and delivery has to be more efficient overall than individual journeys.

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - Roger.
.........and you can compare prices of the main players on mysupermarket.com

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - Zero
>
>> Just looked at the Branch Finder - doesn't say anything about a cafe :(

The bacon rolls in Waitrose are simply the best ever. Well in cambridge and newark they are anyway. Your nearest Waitrose cafe is Staines Henry.

Sorry, thats now called Staines upon Thames

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - Armel Coussine
Local Waitrose has Stolichnaya for 12 quid, and nice cakes. But I go to Tesco more often.

I loathe being in any supermarket though. Can never find what I'm looking for, they often turn out not to have it anyway, and old buffers and biddies younger than me stand in the way all the time drooling with their mouths open and their huge trolleys carefully placed to obstruct.

Perhaps I am romanticising London but I seem to remember people moving a bit more quickly there. Perhaps they feared that I would stab or shoot them if they stayed in the way. Metropolitan paranoia has an upside perhaps. No such luck here in the sticks.

Goddam cattle they are.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 1 Dec 12 at 00:51

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - Clk Sec
>> Local Waitrose has Stolichnaya for 12 quid

It seems that those of us without Lud's money have to pay even more. 'Twas £13.50 in my local Waitrose store, but I bought one anyway as it's a brand I've not yet tried.

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - Runfer D'Hills
A quick one liner from Stephen Fry on the telly last night about how Sainsburys market position serves a useful sociological purpose in keeping the chavs with airs out of Waitrose...

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - R.P.
Well what did he say ?

Yep, there's nothing like half a story.

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - CGNorwich
He repeated that old joke'

"What's so good about Sainsburys? It keeps the scum out of Waitrose".

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah, that was it ! Not, I stress, an opinion I share but it made me smile.

I watched a lot of telly last night. Don't normally seem to but "she" was out and "he" was on his PS3. Caught a Rhod Gilbert Apollo session where he had me crying with laughter on the subject of trying to buy an egg and cress sandwich on a train. Guess you had to see it.

No Sainsbury within 40 miles of here - which is rather odd. They've just opened a giant Asda in Bangor so that'll keep the lower orders away from Waitrose (!) - I hate shopping.

>>Not, I stress, an opinion I share

It was directly beneath my post. A chap could take umbrage, you know.

Where I live Waitrose have had a fairly captive audienece for a few years now. Only rival has been a co-op which IMO is more expensive again for a lower standard of service although I have a few friends who refuse to set foot in Waitrose as its "far to expensive"

Earlier in the year Lidl opened a store literally at the end of Waitrose's car park. Not a real threat as they are at oposite end of the market. Checkout girl told me they had a dip in sales for 2 or 3 weeks, but the numbers were back to their pre lidl days now.

Sainsburys have just started building a new store which will be walking distance away - now I think that will be a threat to them, but time will tell.

Waitrose here have a good customer base and many of their regulars will shop there whatever.

On the subject of Shell they appear to have done some tie up with Waitrose. Our only petrol station here is a Waitrose station - not part of the store, but in the high street. It was re-fitted about 18 months ago, but I see its closing next week to be re branded as a shell station with a Waitrose shop. Not sure if that means I can get driver club points?

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - devonite
I you liked that! -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISGykO6Z7U

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - Alanovich
>> He repeated that old joke'
>>
>> "What's so good about Sainsburys? It keeps the scum out of Waitrose".
>>

The best thing about Waitrose is that it keeps all the urban 4x4s out of the Aldi car park.

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - Duncan
>> Perhaps I am romanticising London but I seem to remember people moving a bit more
>> quickly there. Perhaps they feared that I would stab or shoot them if they stayed
>> in the way. Metropolitan paranoia has an upside perhaps. No such luck here in the
>> sticks.
>>
>> Goddam cattle they are.
>>

Why did you move? (A reasonably serious question)

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - CGNorwich
"Perhaps I am romanticising London but I seem to remember people moving a bit more quickly there."

Probably not. I have lived in Norfolk for over forty years and it is still amazes me how using an escalator in a shop causes so much grief here compared to London. Nobody stands on the right to let the more nimble pass and it's deemed a good idea to stop and have a chat at the top regardless of those piling up behind

Free Tea Coffee and Newspapers - henry k
>> Your nearest Waitrose cafe is Staines Henry.
>>
>> Sorry, thats now called Staines upon Thames
>>
Thanks. Armed with that information I might call in when I am visiting friends at Egham by Runnymede on Thames. :-)

>> Also free Mail / Telegraph when you spend a fiver in store
>>

The wife also picks up the monthly Waitrose Kitchen magazine free of charge by flashing her My Waitrose card.

Shell have just linked their loyalty card to give you Waitrose vouchers - handy as our local Waitrose is just over the road to the forecourt in Menai Bridge - may sign up to that.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 1 Dec 12 at 09:54

Lidl Voucher. - R.P.
From Facebook.

Good Morning Lidlers!

Incase anyone missed it yesterday, if you pick up a copy of the Sunday Telegraph today there's a voucher in it to get £5 off when you spend £35 at Lidl!

Lidl Voucher. - Runfer D'Hills
I'll admit I'm not terribly sure how Facetweeting works but my limited understanding of it suggests that it's a method of keeping in touch with those you identify as online "friends" right?

So out of slight curiousity Rob, when did you decide to befriend a budget supermarket chain? I know there isn't all that much to do in Anglesey, especially in the winter but well, you know...

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 2 Dec 12 at 11:08

Lidl Voucher. - R.P.
I have befriended Lidl - not Asda for obvious reasons !

Lidl Voucher. - Roger.
ALDI vouchers in tomorrow's Daily Mirror.

AA batteries - best value - Focusless
I've been looking for AAs for the Wii remotes so we don't run out over Christmas, and found this site:
www.batteryshowdown.com/

Today I saw that Boots are selling Varta High Energy packs of 8 (4 + 4 'free') for £3, and they do well in the tests. They don't come out top in the value for money graph, but unfortunately the site doesn't say what price they paid (unless I've missed it).

Any better deals out there?

And yes, I know we should be using rechargeables. I've gone through phases of using them, and have a few lying around in drawers - not sure where the chargers are. But for the number of times we need them (not many) I prefer the convenience of the ordinaries.

And yes, I also know the amount of money to be saved here is not vast :)

AA batteries - best value - Manatee
We use Costco own brand which we buy for about £9 for 48. If that isn't convenient for you then I would look at 7dayshop, £8.49/40, or less for bulk.

goo.gl/Nm648
 AA batteries - best value - BobbyG
Excuse the nosiness, but what do you use that you need all those batteries??

Other than remote controls, and smoke alarms, I can't think of anything we have which needs normal bog standard batteries?

Edit - OK also have a torch and my bike lights
Last edited by: BobbyG on Wed 12 Dec 12 at 23:05

Various remotes, GPS, cameras, flashgun, torches, bike lights, radios...and they have a reasonable shelf life.

In principle I use rechargeables for the cameras (I have 2 Pentax SLRs that take AAs) but they sometimes play up with the camera - they have to calibrate to the type and the rechargeables are lower voltage which sometimes confuses them, so if I'll need to change batteries a lot I use alkalines. e.g. for the village panto that I seem to be lumbered with doing the pictures for.

We seem to get through a couple of packs a year.

AA batteries - best value - Roger.
Rabbits?

>> ... I would look at 7dayshop, £8.49/40

Thanks Manatee - order placed.

AA batteries - best value - Bromptonaut
Maplin have a seemingly permanent offer on alcalines. At the moment it's £14.99 for 100 - touted as half price. Other times it's a bogoff on 4, 8 or 40.

We get through a 100 pack evey six months in bike lights, radios and goodness knows what else. Too many things, including Sony radios, don't like NiMh rechargeables and I cannot be bothered with them for other stuff.

Maplin used to do rechargeable alcalines but dropped them a few years ago.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 13 Dec 12 at 10:52

Thanks Bromps - I'll try to remember that in a few years time when I've got through the 40 I've just ordered :)

Any advance on 15p each?

AA batteries - best value - Haywain
I bought a couple of bargain packs of Maplin alkalines and found that I was having to change batteries twice a day in a Canon A470 compact camera, whereas Duracell Pluspower were lasting for 3 or 4 days. Strangely, I found that there was still enough power in a pair of thus 'used' Maplin batteries to last for several weeks in the wireless mouse/keyboard for the computer before I had to dispose of them. Maybe it's something to do with the 'amount of drain' that Maplin batteries can cope with.

AA batteries - best value - Bromptonaut
Interesting observation haywain. I've found them OK in the radios and other low draw devices but the sets in my bike light needing changing every other week atm. I'm only using them at night (it's light by time I get in) and about 15min journey but it's a pretty bright CatEye unit.

AA batteries - best value - Duncan
>> Today I saw that Boots are selling Varta High Energy packs of 8 (4 +
>> 4 'free') for £3, and they do well in the tests. They don't come out
>> top in the value for money graph, but unfortunately the site doesn't say what price
>> they paid (unless I've missed it).
>>
>> Any better deals out there?
>>

In Poundland they are 11 for er, um, now how much did I pay?

I think that is incredible value.
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 13 Dec 12 at 10:15

>> In Poundland they are 11 for er, um, now how much did I pay?

Too late for now, but out of interest, are those Varta High Energy, or another alkaline, or zinc-carbon?

EDIT: and 11 - what sort of packaging is that? :)
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 13 Dec 12 at 10:18

AA batteries - best value - Duncan
>> >> In Poundland they are 11 for er, um, now how much did I pay?
>>
>> Too late for now, but out of interest, are those Varta High Energy, or another
>> alkaline, or zinc-carbon?
>>
>> EDIT: and 11 - what sort of packaging is that? :)

They are Kodak, Zinc Chloride. In one of those encapsulated jobby things - is that what you mean?

Thanks - zinc-chloride have very poor performance compared to alkalines eg.
www.batteryshowdown.com/static/images/graph-200ma-duration-lrg.png

Might be worth it if you don't mind twice as much changing/throwing away (or recycling).

EDIT: worse for 'high drain':
www.batteryshowdown.com/static/images/graph-1000ma-duration-lrg.png
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 13 Dec 12 at 10:32

Looking at that chart, the Costco ones (Kirkland Signature) are the second best of all the alkalines. I hope the 7dayshop ones are OK!

I did wonder about that, but the alkalines all look to be pretty similar, so shouldn't go wrong at that price.

Lidl Snow Chains - £20.00 - R.P.
Got a set of chains for the Beemer from Lidl's very strong construction. Bargain.

Lidl Snow Chains - £20.00 - henry k
>> Got a set of chains for the Beemer from Lidl's very strong construction. Bargain.
>>
Yesterday I posted the info re Lidl and snow chains but it seems to have gone AWOL
They had three sizes in the Chessington outlet cos we need em in urban Surrey.
Nowt on their website.

Lidl Snow Chains - £20.00 - VxFan
>> Yesterday I posted the info re Lidl and snow chains but it seems to have
>> gone AWOL

I think I lost it when I tidied up the thread where someone started talking about LIDL alcohol and tagged it onto the battery conversation.

Lidl Snow Chains - £20.00 - henry k
>>VxFan
>>I think I lost it when I tidied up the thread.
My sanity is restored. ( I was posting late but sober).
Brgds

Latest Forum Posts