Non-motoring > Daytime bat Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 10

Daytime bat - WillDeBeest
Out in the South Oxfordshire woods with the family before lunch today when Beestling Major pointed across the valley we were climbing out of at something in the air. High up amid the crows was the unmistakable fluttering flight of a bat. We watched for several minutes as it darted about, presumably still finding enough insects in the November air to make the expenditure of energy worthwhile. Probably as good a look as I've ever had at a British bat.

A quick google suggests it's unusual rather than unheard of for bats to be out in daylight and at odd times of year, but this was certainly a first for me. Any of our country dwellers seen anything similar?
 Daytime bat - R.P.
We have a purpose built bat house in the grounds of next door (a planning condition) plenty around of a summer evening, not seen any in the daytime though.
 Daytime bat - Runfer D'Hills
>>purpose built bat house in the grounds of next door...

Does he have an odd looking black car and a mate called Robin?
 Daytime bat - Kevin
>Does he have an odd looking black car and a mate called Robin?

If he does, whatever you do, don't ask Robin for his autograph!

old.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11943&start=0
 Daytime bat - Alanovich
WDB, do you have any recommendations for locations/routes for woodland walks in South Oxfordshire please? My nippers are finally of an age where we can do this sort for thing, and South Oxfordshire is on my doorstep. I've often wondered that there must be plenty of opportunities for the like, but I have not found any thus far.
 Daytime bat - devonite
>>High up amid the crows was the unmistakable fluttering flight of a bat.

Mystery solved!

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6WMHf-XynRBZjR4ObfDXk4bpLSKuBqONOCFfullv1z2uJplUf
 Daytime bat - madf
We have bats flying round the house in summer at 7pm in full daylight. Never seen one in the morning tho'.
 Daytime bat - WillDeBeest
I saw another one on Wednesday, this time from my home-office window. Late afternoon this time, so more bat-typical twilight, but it is still mid-November. I presume the mild, mostly frost-free autumn has left enough moths (and even dragonflies round here) in circulation to keep the bats flying.

Vic, I'll ask a mod to send you my email address. Yes, there's plenty of good walking round here and always something to see.
 Daytime bat - Meldrew
Not really relevant to the UK discussion but on holiday in Corfu last month I saw many very small bats, for just a few minutes, flying around just after sunset. I have always perceived them as nocturnal creatures, in any part of the world

www.animalport.com/animal-information/nocturnal-animal-information.html
 Daytime bat - Bromptonaut
Quite a few animals popularly thought of as nocturnal are actually active at dawn and dusk.

The scientific term is crepuscular.
 Daytime bat - Meldrew
There are also crepuscular rays

tinyurl.com/cur757l
Latest Forum Posts