Non-motoring > I need a new mower Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 30

I need a new mower - bathtub tom
Cutting the grass, I got distracted and the plastic collection box of my (admittedly ancient) Qualcast electric RE35 got 'lunched' by the blades.

I'm looking at one of these: tinyurl.com/9wzffos

Any comments? The smaller version seems to attract a lot of adverse criticism.
 I need a new mower - Zero
I have the Bosch Rotak 43cm. Its three years old now, pretty powerful and works well. It mowed the lawn, chopping up tons of leaves in the process this very week.

My only complaint is that the mains lead is a bit stiff and unyielding and develops a mind of its own. Have cut through it twice so far.
 I need a new mower - DeeW
I actually bought one of these last week - unfortunately not at that price.
I am delighted with it so far. My mower died a little while ago so it had quite a lot to deal with, including uneven ground in the 'rough' area of the garden. I have cut the whole lawn on the highest setting and hope to cut the 'smart' bits a little lower this week, weather permitting. It coped very well, is very light and even left stripes. An absolute joy after the orange mower, which did sterling service but was hard work.
Due to the size of my garden I was advised to get a petrol mower but find I cannot operate the pull start.
 I need a new mower - L'escargot
>> Due to the size of my garden I was advised to get a petrol mower
>> but find I cannot operate the pull start.
>>

When a health problem (fortunately transient) meant I couldn't operate a pull start, I bought an electric start mower.
www.mowdirect.co.uk/blog/2012/05/24/three-top-mowers-with-electric-start/
Les, I did look at the electric start mowers, but you are adding at least £150 for that - which is not that far off what I paid for the Braun.
Still waiting for Pat to set up her garden design business. Room for the van in the front garden - already storing one there for a friend - if you want a holiday in the New Forest, Pat!
 I need a new mower - Pat
Yes please Dee:)

Pat
Email en route, Pat.
 I need a new mower - Fenlander
>>>advised to get a petrol mower but find I cannot operate the pull start.

That is usually sorted buy buying a Honda as they are so easy and reliable to start.

When we needed to buy a small garden mower last year I went straight for the smallest petrol Honda at around £250 on a promotion. It will last a lifetime and if resale is ever required they fetch high prices on Ebay.
 I need a new mower - Focusless
I bought a £100 (currently £120) petrol mower from Argos in Spring and I'm very glad I did, even though I had to return the first one because a broken piston ring meant I couldn't see the garden for smoke!
www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7304778.htm
 I need a new mower - PeterS

>> That is usually sorted buy buying a Honda as they are so easy and reliable
>> to start.

Agreed, though initially I kept starting it by mistake. I like to turn the engine over with a gentle pull on the starter cord before actually starting it in the (probably mistaken) belief that it provides a bit of lubrication first. Very difficult to do on a Honda, as it just starts. Also helps that the starter cord is on the handle so it can be operated without bending over
 I need a new mower - TeeCee
I've got a cheap Chinese rotary with a Briggs and Stratton engine on it. A heck of a sight easier to use than any electric one, as it'll chew through anything and there's no tedious mucking around with leads.

No drive, but actually easier to push than an electric or Flymo, as once it's moving its weight tends to keep it that way with very little additional effort required.

Starts first pull every spring. Maintenance consists of running a wire brush over the plug when it gets recalcitrant and whizzing the blade along the bench grinder occasionally. I fully expect it to outlast me.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Nov 12 at 01:08
 I need a new mower - Zero
>> I've got a cheap Chinese rotary with a Briggs and Stratton engine on it. A
>> heck of a sight easier to use than any electric one, as it'll chew through
>> anything and there's no tedious mucking around with leads.

Replaced by tedious mucking around with getting petrol, filling it up, dumping the old petrol every spring, cleaning the recalcitrant plug......

>>
>> No drive, but actually easier to push than an electric or Flymo, as once it's
>> moving its weight tends to keep it that way with very little additional effort required.

Great when you have a smaller lawn, crashing into the planters, manoeuvring it around the awkward shaped flower beds and edges, and the fact the wife wont touch it "because its too heavy"

>> I fully
>> expect it to outlast me.

Unless you are very old, it won't. The engine might last but the rest of the cheap Chinese crpa will fall apart.

The tale here is that, petrol mowers have their place, as do electric corded, or battery mowers.
There is no single answer for everyones requirements.

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Nov 12 at 01:08
 I need a new mower - Fenlander
>>>dumping the old petrol every spring

Myth.

>>> cleaning the recalcitrant plug

Perhaps once every two years if you're really keen.

I need a new mower - VxFan
>> dumping the old petrol every spring

Never bothered doing that with the petrol mower I have. Starts within 2 pulls after storing over winter and runs fine.
 I need a new mower - Falkirk Bairn
I am on my 4th petrol mower in 40 years.

My buying pattern has been to buy a good make and change the oil regularly and that is it. My first mower in 1972 was supposed to be serviced annually and it cost a bundle.

If the mower gives issues other than a new blade or new spark plug I buy another. Last time I asked for a repair estimate it was some £90+VAT! I bough a Flymo (Husqvarna, McCulloch are all the same company) £115 reduced in Homebase sale from £175.

Starts first time, even the first pull of the year assuming you fill it with petrol!
Only regret is that it is pushing now that I am older & my illness. I should have bought a self-propelled as 1/10 acre grass is a push on a slope at the side of the house.
My 3 x sons are electric - 2 x Rotak and they have cable issues and the 3rd has battery powered Bosch which is a £350 heap of carp..........2 batteries, smallish grass area and it makes it if the grass is short. Long grass and there is insufficient torque to cut grass.
 I need a new mower - DP
My £99 "Champion" rotary is now on its 3rd season and has never given a moment's trouble. Not Chinese crap either. Has a Briggs engine, and according to the little plate on the underside, was made in Italy by Husqvarna Garden Products.
 I need a new mower - Gromit
I also have a Champion mower from the local DIY shed. Goes about its business without fuss.

Tom, could you get a replacement for the Qualcast's grass box made up, or make one yourself? If the basket goes on the back, what you want is an L-shaped frame made from tubing that hooks on to the mower where the original went, and a bag made from fine mesh garden netting.
 I need a new mower - sherlock47
BT

EBay maybe your friend

Yesterday you could have had a complete mower for 99p! with grassbox
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qualcast-electric-cylinder-lawnmower-RE35X-with-grass-box-/350638907202?pt=UK_Garden_Lawnmowers&hash=item51a3b51f42

Last edited by: pmh on Mon 12 Nov 12 at 12:53
I did have a look on ebay, I also found I could get a new grass box for forty-odd quid!

I've managed to chew lumps out of the grass box on several occasions and botched repairs.

As it's over twenty years old I decided to treat myself to new one.
 I need a new mower - madf
My 1972 Hayter Hayterette with 4 cylinder B&S engine still starts first time: the only issue is to get it to start I have to tilt it to teh side to put petrol into the carburettor.

Burns no oil, runs wonderfully. Spare blades still available.
 I need a new mower - Runfer D'Hills
RWD y'see madf. More reliable in the end...

:-)
 I need a new mower - Haywain
"My 1972 Hayter Hayterette with 4 cylinder B&S engine"

Four-cylinders, eh? Are you sure it's not a combine-harvester you've been mowing the lawn with?
 I need a new mower - madf
>> "My 1972 Hayter Hayterette with 4 cylinder B&S engine"
>>
>> Four-cylinders, eh? Are you sure it's not a combine-harvester you've been mowing the lawn with?
>>

Ooops

My bad: 4 stroke of course.

Forgot to take my pills..

"RWD y'see madf. More reliable in the end..."

I wish.. it's push drive..

Still it was free...
>> Cutting the grass, I got distracted and the plastic collection box of my (admittedly ancient)
>> Qualcast electric RE35 got 'lunched' by the blades.

Replacement/spare grass boxes are available.

www.espares.co.uk/parts/lawnmowers/grass-boxes/qualcast/p/1630/1175
>> Replacement/spare grass boxes are available.

Mon 12 Nov 12 14:43 I also found I could get a new grass box for forty-odd quid!
>> >> Replacement/spare grass boxes are available.
>>
>> Mon 12 Nov 12 14:43 I also found I could get a new grass box
>> for forty-odd quid!

>>

That's much cheaper than a new mower, and you wouldn't be scrapping the rest of the old mower which is presumably still in good working order.
 I need a new mower - slowdown avenue
was gifted a second hand hayter 9 years back . never serviced. fault free . keep it in the dry , and never lend it.: if it aint their's they break it]
 I need a new mower - legacylad
I bought a second hand Honda petrol some 8 years ago. Totally reliable, and used 2 full days a week during the summer months when I mow lawns for neighbours so quite heavy use.
 I need a new mower - Falkirk Bairn
>> I bought a second hand Honda petrol some 8 years ago. Totally reliable, and used
>> 2 full days a week during the summer months when I mow lawns for neighbours
>> so quite heavy use.
>>
For Free or an NLE (Nice little Earner)

For Free - you can come and do mine!
 I need a new mower - legacylad
Elderly neighbours all for free.
Plus a friend has 6 lawns spread over 3 properties. He services my car, does electrical & plumbing work when necessary for me, so we are both happy with the arrangement.
 I need a new mower - Crankcase
My neighbour asked if he could borrow my lawnmower. I said I'd be more than happy for him to use it, on the condition that it didn't go out of my garden.
Latest Forum Posts