Non-motoring > Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 40

Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - Falkirk Bairn
Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000

(SO FAR - you never know there may be others yet to surface!!)

tinyurl.com/a4gh24o

Found guilty but no jail etc as she is ill.

How ill? She is receiving treatment and has been since her fraud was discovered years ago.

This reminds me of another case.

A leading businessman was jailed many years ago for fraud in a takeover of a large of Distillery owner - he developed / showed signs of Alzheimers whilst in prison and was let out early...........only to make a recovery!

The first and last time in medical history.
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - sooty123
The bloke from Guinness wasn't it?
Wikipedia writes

Ernest Walter Saunders (born 21 October 1935) is a former British business manager, best known as one of the "Guinness Four", a group of businessmen who attempted fraudulently to manipulate the share price of the Guinness company. He was sentenced to five years' imprisonment, but released after 10 months as he was believed to be suffering from Alzheimer's disease, which is incurable.

He subsequently made a full recovery
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - crocks
Ernest Saunders if my Alzheimer's hasn't progressed too far.
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - Old Navy
I have seen a miraculous recovery from a back injury on the receipt of compensation.
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - madf
Al Megrahi recovered miraculously from "3 months to live" and lasted 24+ months.

It's the medical skills of jail doctors y'see,,,
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - No FM2R
Far better that we feel aggrieved he got out for the last two years of his life than we first fund his care and then deal with a world known "martyr" dying in one of our jails.
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - Bromptonaut
>> Al Megrahi recovered miraculously from "3 months to live" and lasted 24+ months.
>>
>> It's the medical skills of jail doctors y'see,,,

He was though a very sick man. He's by no means the only case given weeks to live who last months or years - wasn't there a woman who ran marathons?
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - Zero
Given the medical care in jail, three months probably was his maximum there.
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - DeeW
Madf, cancer can be like that. My friend was given a very very short time and managed to string it out to over 18 months.
>> I have seen a miraculous recovery from a back injury on the receipt of compensation.
>>
>>
I worked for a large computer company - large employer in the West of Scotland. Excellent health & benefits in the past.

Full pay or nigh on full pay whilst on long term sick leave. Depending on your grade the time varied but 1 or 2 weeks before the benefit was cut a "Lourdes Letter" was sent informing "the sick" that their pay was to be cut to XX%.

Miraculously many seemed to make in it with only a day or 2 to spare before the pay cut!
>> I worked for a large computer company - large employer in the West of Scotland.
>> Excellent health & benefits in the past.
>>
>> Full pay or nigh on full pay whilst on long term sick leave. Depending on
>> your grade the time varied but 1 or 2 weeks before the benefit was cut
>> a "Lourdes Letter" was sent informing "the sick" that their pay was to be cut
>> to XX%.
>>
>> Miraculously many seemed to make in it with only a day or 2 to spare
>> before the pay cut!

Spango Valley from the sound of it.
Spango Valley from the sound of it

Hole in One!
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - commerdriver
changed a bit since those days as has the rest of that area
>> changed a bit since those days as has the rest of that area
>>
Are you based in Spango Valley currently
I was last there three years ago. No-one left to go sick.
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - commerdriver
>> Are you based in Spango Valley currently
>>
no I have been based in the south of England ( missionary work) since the early 80s, but have been back there a few times over the years, last time was about 12 months ago
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - No FM2R
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 13 Nov 12 at 16:20
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - Roger.
Spango Valley?
The name conjures up images of very large underpants barely covering a builder's bum. ;-0
>> Spango Valley

20-25 years ago the plant employed 5/6000 directly maybe 10,000 more outside and was Uk
Biggest exporter and now a virtual desert although lots of agency employees answering phones for support on their Chinese / far east systems.
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - -

>> 20-25 years ago the plant employed 5/6000 directly maybe 10,000 more outside and was Uk
>> Biggest exporter and now a virtual desert although lots of agency employees answering phones

I wonder if those who milked the sick scheme ever spare a thought....if we hadn't took the P and put some effort in whether we might still have a job?

Some (few but they fake it enough for many) at my present very good employer can't milk the generous sick pay fast enough...thick as two planks unable to see past todays grab.
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - Haywain
Moran may be sick now - but was she ill at the time that she took the money? Mind you, it could be argued that they're all sick.
>> Moran may be sick now - but was she ill at the time that she
>> took the money? Mind you, it could be argued that they're all sick.

I wouldn't be too surprised if there were a bipolar angle to her depression.

The point now is she's too ill to cases are almost rare as hen's teeth; there's a very high standard of medical proof. May of course be that she'll improve now, such is the nature of her illness.
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - Lygonos
Bipolar doesn't make you commit criminal frauds to the degree Moran is alleged to have perpetrated.

She's pretty much destroyed her reputation and her future more than doing some jailtime would have accomplished - I doubt there'll be pics of her laughing sipping Pimms in the next few months.

Never know though...
>> Bipolar doesn't make you commit criminal frauds to the degree Moran is alleged to have
>> perpetrated.

Probably true but if everybody else is pushing the envelope the bi-polar personality will go quite a bit further.

My SIL was bi-polar and I've met a fair few others both personally and professionally.

I can never make my mind up about Bi Polar people.
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - Londoner
>> I can never make my mind up about Bi Polar people.
:-)
>> Bi Polar people.

Lapland lesbians?
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - wotspur
No mention of her having to repay the money, from her incredibly good pension she'll receive for life for being an MP...
This could have been avoided in the future, all this " Flipping stuff , by using the Olympic village as MP's residences for their term in office, then passed on to the next MP... So no benefits or earning extortionate profits whilst "representing their electorate" !!!!!!! And not lining their pockets.
Surely she was considered sane when she committed the fraud,otherwise how could she be elected,( or is it a prerequitie) the fact she is now ill, is unfortunate but , to me irrelevant
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - Kevin
>I wouldn't be too surprised if there were a bipolar angle to her depression.

Cobblers.

The only thing bipolar about her is that she couldn't decide which house the taxpayer should pay for, so she chose both.
Last edited by: Kevin on Tue 13 Nov 12 at 21:12
>> Cobblers.
>>
>> The only thing bipolar about her is that she couldn't decide which house the taxpayer
>> should pay for, so she chose both.

Believe what you like.

Mrs B and I have met a fair few bi-polar people. Her sister, her late friend Catherine's husband and another friend's brother. I worked in mental health for ten years and met a few more.

After a while one recognises the signals; bit like 'gaydar'.

La Moran had my antenna twitching long before she got to court. .
Depression lasting 2 years isn't common in BPD.

Thievery on a longrunning basis isn't BPD.

She may have BPD but her illegal actions are not likely the manifestations of mental illness.

They are the actions of someone who has climbed up the ranks of a machine where absolute belief in your own entitlement is not a hindrance to advancement.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 13 Nov 12 at 21:41
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - Harleyman

>> They are the actions of someone who has climbed up the ranks of a machine
>> where absolute belief in your own entitlement is not a hindrance to advancement.
>>

Very well put.
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - -
>>
>> >> They are the actions of someone who has climbed up the ranks of a
>> machine
>> >> where absolute belief in your own entitlement is not a hindrance to advancement.
>> >>
>>
>> Very well put.

Quite, when you put yourself up for such a job IMO you are putting yourself on a pedestal and should behave with honour and integrity, the job used to carry prestige and respect, dishonourable behaviour of recent decades has seen that destroyed.

Come back Guido, all is forgiven.
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - smokie
Too ill? Jimmy Savile is dead, look what's happening to him!! :-)
>> Thievery on a longrunning basis isn't BPD.
>>
>> She may have BPD but her illegal actions are not likely the manifestations of mental
>> illness.

I was thinking more of impulsive behaviour but some BPD folks at least would 'hand themselves in' with remorse when off the high.
Moran managed to repeatedly defraud her expenses, using the same MO (because it worked once so it would obviously work again).

Not impulsive acts while 'high' or 'low' - simply hog-troughing criminality born of opportunity and the expectation of impunity.

Moran's psych reviews suggest deep-seated historic reasons for low self-esteem which may explain her enjoyment of 'getting a bit extra because I deserve it' followed by a massive implosion of self-loathing when she gets caught and being fully aware that she is bang-to-rights, with the implications for her reputation and incredible fall from grace.

I'd be willing to wager a couple of quid that throughout she was fully aware of 'right and wrong' and quite sane while she was acting illegally. Equally I have little doubt she has/is subsequently suffering horribly from mental illness as a result of her actions.

I have huge sympathy for those with mental health problems - I see no reason, however, that she shouldn't be expected to repay the money she has defrauded - it's less than a year's MP salary - not worth killing yourself over.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 13 Nov 12 at 23:16
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - Haywain
I know a little about BPD, but only within the context of my second son’s illness; he is an incredibly creative artist and musician, but his depressions seem to predominate and there’s no way, in a million years, that his lack of self-confidence and his anxiety would ever allow him to expose himself to the world as an MP. He certainly couldn’t consider nicking £53K. Jailing Ms Moran would be a further waste of public money – she isn’t dangerous but she should, at least, be made to pay back the money that she stole.

I suspect that if we looked at most of the prison population, we could dig around and find some sort of reason why they behave like they do; in the absence of anything obvious, we could always blame their dodgy genes. My wife worked as an educator in our local jail, teaching literacy skills. She was always amused by the keenness of the inmates to take a test for dyslexia; they felt that a ‘label’ would give them a convenient excuse for their misdemeanors. As if they couldn’t read the notice in the shop that said ‘Thieves will be prosecuted’!
Last edited by: Haywain on Wed 14 Nov 12 at 12:43
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - Cliff Pope
>> . As if they couldn’t read the
>> notice in the shop that said ‘Thieves will be prosecuted’!
>>
>>

Catch 22 ?
 Biggest MP expenses fraud - £53,000 - madf
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.. (see the Twitterers who revealed a rape victim's name who pleaded ignorance - and were fined )
Lord Hanningfield was jailed for expenses fraud in HoL expenses..

BBC Reports
Essex Council Credit Card
The peer's card use from 2005 to 2010 lists thousands of transactions, including spending on flights, train journeys, meals and hotel stays which amount to £286,000 in total.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-20337917

Makes Margaret Moran's £53K look like petty cash!
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Thu 15 Nov 12 at 15:27
Latest Forum Posts