Non-motoring > Electronic cigarettes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 26

Electronic cigarettes - BobbyG
Being a non smoker myself I haven't paid much attention to these but apparently they give a shot of nicotine whilst giving "the smoke experience" of holding a fag and "smoke" coming out it.

Heard an interesting debate on radio today where it transpired that some workplaces allow these in the office where the "pros" say it is no different to having a coffee / biscuit at your desk and improved productivity and prevented smoke breaks. One caller worked ont he 28th floor of an office - bit difficult to nip out for a break!
But the "cons" were saying the idea is to discourage smoking altogether rather than get round it with one of these.

I have never seen these in either pubs or workplaces where normal cigs would be banned but I would have thought they would be ideal for the smokers to get round the rules.

Anyone on here have them in the workplace?
 Electronic cigarettes - Robin O'Reliant
I've tried them - in fact I even deliver them to customers - and while some people swear by them others, including myself, had no joy at all and soon went back to the real thing. It just wasn't the same, the taste wasn't there and I never knew how long to puff it for as it obviously never burnt down.

And it's one thing having to cadge a light off a stranger when your's has run out, it's quite another to knock on a front door and asking would they mind if you put your cigarette on charge because you forgot to do it last night and it's gone flat.
 Electronic cigarettes - diddy1234
works well for me and several others at work.

we dont 'vape' in the work place and our company even helped develop them and the clamshell inhalers (for asthma).

i have seen several smokers try them but not get on with them.
i am not 100% sure but i think its because the strength is either too weak or strong.

dispite the adverts the ecigs are not the same.
you would still need will power to give up.
however, instead of climbing the walls and wanting to rip peoples heads off. these really do help.
they are cheaper than smoking but not as cheap if smoker used roll up ciggies.
as for health benefits, certanly more healthy. no out of breath climbing stairs. no bad breath. you dont stink any more. more awake.
even my doctor and dentist have no issues with me using ecigs.

as for the debate how hamfull these devices are, know one knows.
doctors do agree they are more healthy than smoking but not sure how much
the medical association are still to make a rulling on this and the EU is possibly looking at banning them (the ciggie companies are not making money from ecigs).

the media are also calling them 'health improvement devices'. i doubt that but ok call it what you want.

as you can imagine its a mixed bag and some proper testing and decision needs to be made at some point how to regulate them.

until then i am happy to 'vape' away.
Last edited by: diddy1234 on Tue 13 Nov 12 at 22:41
 Electronic cigarettes - DP
Thought about trying these, but decided to just give up completely. The way I figured it, replacing one form of nicotine with another only defers the withdrawal until you decide to give up whatever the substitution is.

Allen Carr's book made it surprisingly easy. Now into my second calendar month, have put on the sum total of half a pound, and not one serious craving or withdrawal symptom.
 Electronic cigarettes - Zero
People with a plastic fag stuck in their mouths look like a complete knob end, offer them a dummy and tell them they would look just as stupid.

Either give up, or smoke. Don't care which, but dont be so weak willed you fall for such a commercial con trick.
 Electronic cigarettes - Pat
I really can't understand my own feelings at these E cigarettes, so I'll allow the contributors to this thread to analyse them for me!

I have one for emergencies that I haven't felt the need to use at all yet, despite being a heavy smoker.
I have read and heard of them being banned in certain places and have always been indignant that it isn't a cigarette, it isn't smoke and if I wanted to use one anywhere, I would do so.
I still stand by my attitude on that one.

A few weeks ago I was training a group of drivers and we do around 3 hours before having a break and of course, we can't smoke in the training room.

A driver brought out an E cigarette and proceeded to 'puff' away on it throughout the whole seven hour course.

I know him. he's the most argumentative, stroppy so and so you would ever wish to meet so I totally ignored him and allowed him to carry on. Luckily no-one else mentioned it so I feel he didn't get the reaction he was hoping to.

BUT, and this is the thing that baffles me, annoyed me immensly and I wanted to tell him it wasn't allowed.

Why, I hate to think I have double standards but that is the way it appears to me:)

Pat
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 14 Nov 12 at 12:36
I had wondered myself.

No smoking rules don't lend themselves to e-cigs
So at the moment there are a mixture of people out there that think they can vape away in a non smoking zone.

I am unsure if you can or can't but since I am considerate of others, I am quite happy to go outside.

I have spoken to several e-cig users and some think you can use them in no smoking areas and others think you cannot.

Again the law needs to make a clear ruling on this but I already know which way it will go.

As far as the government are concerned, If it's any form of enjoyment then ban it.

in 10 to 15 years time alcohol will be banned as well.

It's a shame. people should have choice in their lives but that's another story.
 Electronic cigarettes - Focusless
Speaking to a chap in the office this morning I realised the white pen he was holding with the blue light on the end was an ecig - never noticed if before. Saves him popping out every hour or 2 I suppose (actually I don't know what his fag frequency is/was).
 Electronic cigarettes - No FM2R
I suspect that one issue is the motivation behind the behaviour of many anti-smokers. I know we hear loads about health issues and loads about the smell on the clothing, but those are frequently just excuses for the real goal; to complain about something others do and enjoy, get together in a gang and hound smokers wherever possible.

Like playing ball in the park, driving, cycling, football, conkers, marbles, firework parties, open-air concerts, rock festivals etc. etc. The idea is to target something you don't want to do, preferably which is being enjoyed by others, and ban it. Irrespective of whether or not that activity genuinely gives you an issue.

The e-cigarette doesn't smell, there are no secondary health issue, but I'm afraid that enjoying it is still offensive to anti smokers.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 14 Nov 12 at 11:30
oddly enough I have had more anti comments from smokers rather than non smokers.

If its because smokers will not give up or cant give up, I have no idea.

Just an observation not an insult to anyone.
>> itimmensely me immensly <<

That should read it annoyed me immensly but as usual the cursor gets stuck and refuses to move in IE9.

Pat

it does read that now
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 14 Nov 12 at 12:36
Thanks VX, sometimes I think my keyboard must be upside down:)

Pat
 Electronic cigarettes - Cliff Pope
I wonder whether there is anything else illicit that can be enjoyed electronically? :)
I wouldn't say the Nissan Leaf is a joy to drive....
 Electronic cigarettes - Zero
Don't be so sure, I had a drive of one and found it to be quite nippy
 Electronic cigarettes - devonite
Over the years "New" anti-smoking aids have been developed and tried, and died for whatever reason, the main one being "there`s nothing like the real thing"!
There were No6 NSM (new smoking material) whatever happened to that? - Skol Bandits (mouth caner), patches, gum, hypnosis, plastic fags, biros, fingernails etc etc nearly all fail most of the time.
Sometimes folk spend Hundreds£ on aids only to revert back. The ONLY WAY is cold turkey and won`t power! - every day without Nicotine (from any source) is a day nearer to the day when your body realises that it doesn`t need it at all. Good tip! - if you get the "urge" for a smoke, put your hands in a sink of water or run them under the tap, this sends a subliminal message to the brain that you cant smoke with wet hands, and so the brain kills the craving.
Simples! (after the first week!!)
 Electronic cigarettes - Robin O'Reliant

>> Good tip! - if you get the "urge" for a smoke, put your hands in
>> a sink of water or run them under the tap,
>>
Or just get one out and light it. You won't need a towel either.
 Electronic cigarettes - No FM2R
Certainly e-cigarettes are NOT a way of giving up smoking. Rather they are the opposite, a way to perpetuate smoking in the face of opposition.

They continue the habit, they continue the nicotine dose, they continue the expense.

Less tar & chemicals though. But don't fool yourself, they're not about giving up.

Giving up is simple in concept, albeit damned hard in reality. If you want to stop smoking more than you want to smoke, you will succeed. If you do not, then you will fail.

So don't give up unless you *really* want to. And focus on the source of your "want". Be it money, health, relationship, whatever works for you.

The physical reaction to giving up is unavoidable. The emotional and psychological impact is inversely proportional to your wish to give up. the physical addiction passes quite quickly, its the emotional one you need to worry about.

Don't expect it to be a walk in the park.

>> The physical reaction to giving up is unavoidable. The emotional and psychological impact is inversely
>> proportional to your wish to give up. the physical addiction passes quite quickly, its the
>> emotional one you need to worry about.

The physical reaction to nicotine withdrawal is actually very small. An intermittent "empty" feeling (not dissimilar to nagging hunger) which lessens in frequency and intensity after only a few days, and is gone within two weeks. And that is it. The perceived wisdom is far scarier than the reality.

I completely agree that the emotional attachment to cigarettes is a far more powerful draw than the nicotine. Yet in a strange way, once you realise this, it actually makes it easier, as you quickly suss that the strongest part of your dependency exists only in your head. The physical and chemical side of the dependency is so weak that it's effectively irrelevant.

I really do recommend Allen Carr's Easy Way. It has four times the success rate (based on people being smoke free 12 months later) than stop smoking medication, and ten times the success rate of a standard "cold turkey" quit.
 Electronic cigarettes - R.P.

(:uʍop ǝpısdn ǝq ʇsnɯ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʎɯ ʞuıɥʇ I sǝɯıʇǝɯos 'XΛ sʞuɐɥ┴

:-)
Alright clever clogs:)

E cigarettes are not supposed to be an aid to giving up..they are for use in situations where the smoking ban kicks in, and for people like me who don't want to give up.

Pat
 Electronic cigarettes - R.P.
Sorry Pat - couldn't resist it. :-(
A wily old salesman I used to work with was a 60-a-day man. One day during a meeting, he opened his briefcase to remove some paperwork, and a box of Nicorette patches fell out onto the tavble.

"Wow are you're giving up smoking?" I asked in disbelief.

"Giving up?!" he snorted. "Don't be ridiculous. I keep these for long meetings. All my customers know I'll cave in during negotiations so I can go for a fag. If I stick one of these on, I'm good for an hour or more."

I kid you not.
I believe you DP and I'd just like to say a very 'well done' for giving up.

I know how hard it must be but I can honestly say I've never wanted to give up and since the smoking ban I have been more determined not to!

I shall continue to rebel against the rules as long as I live...and to those who are tempted to say 'that won't be long', I will say at least I've enjoyed myself :)

Pat
Thanks Pat. Really appreciate that. :-)

And long may it remain your choice to smoke. I find the general attitude of society towards smokers to be disgraceful.

The idea that my giving up would somehow appease society almost put me off doing it, but at the end of the day I felt ready, and also felt that it was starting to affect my health. This meant that it was time. The only people who featured my decision in any way apart from me were my wife and kids.

Electronic cigarettes - zookeeper
i wonder how long it will be before they bring out an electronic pint? obviously wont sell well darn sarf as they only drink shandies anyway
 Electronic cigarettes - CGNorwich
You could try one of these.

www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/3510954/Strobing-Beer-Glass/Product.html
Latest Forum Posts