Non-motoring > What makes a good wellie?? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 37

What makes a good wellie?? - BobbyG
The park where I walk the dog is now in such a quagmire that the hiking boots are no longer suitable so need to invest in a pair of wellies.

For last hundred years or so I have had one pair of basic rubber (or maybe plastic ) wellies that have served their purpose of basically keeping feet dry when shovelling snow.

However, I tried doing my morning 2 mile walk in them today and they were so uncomfy, could feel every stone underneath, foot was slipping inside them, ankle rubbing etc.

So what makes a good walking welly suitable for walks of a few miles at a time over mixed pavement, fields and eveything in between? Any recommendations - prob under £50. I have a Decathlon and Go Outdoors near me - would never buy footwear online unless I had tried the exact size on in a shop first!

And Humph, yes this is me, Bobbyg, asking for a advice on new footwear!!!
 What makes a good wellie?? - WillDeBeest
I the comfort of wellies is irrevocably compromised by their construction, which gives no built-in strength to hold and support your foot. So you need to add your own: first make sure that they fit, with not to much space in the heel, which is where rubbing starts, and that they have enough stiffness in the sole to keep stones from bruising your feet. Then pull out and throw away the thin foam insole and replace it with a proper supportive one from a sports shop or even a physio. Finally, adjust the fit with a good pair of walking socks that really fits.

I think you'll be more comfortable for less this way than by spending megapoonds on swanky branded wellies.
 What makes a good wellie?? - Zero
Alas you can't afford the ideal, which is a pair of Du Bary boots

Get a decent pair of boots that fit, and decent LONG thick socks, preferably boot socks
 What makes a good wellie?? - CGNorwich
I wouldn't walk two miles in wellies. Why are hiking boots so unsuitable? How deep is this quagmire and how does the dog cope? :-). I would have though a decent pair of leather walking boots would be the best option although you would have to pay more than £50. Probably worth it in the long run (or walk!).
Or consider a pair of riggers boots
 What makes a good wellie?? - Focusless
A cheap £10 pair works for me - buy some comfy socks if needed.
www.shoezone.com/Mens-Wellies/Wellington-Boot-In-Green-Adult-sizes-7-12/79410
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 14 Nov 12 at 10:41
 What makes a good wellie?? - Focusless
BTW I think the Dunlop wellies start at about £10 in places like SportsDirect, possibly Go Outdoors too ('web exclusive' at Shoezone).
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 14 Nov 12 at 10:46
 What makes a good wellie?? - Cliff Pope
I agree - get the cheapest possible. If they rub your feet, you need to toughen up your feet and/or wear thicker socks.

The size is bound to be a compromise. It's easy to get too hot in them in mild weather, but when it's really cold you may want space for one or two pairs of thick socks. Personally I like to be able to wiggle my toes to keep them warm - ie with a big air-gap, but others swear by lots of socks.

Don't do garden digging in them unless you have a spade with a proper boot protector.

PS I've always called them gumboots.
 What makes a good wellie?? - Haywain
It must be well over 25 years ago that a colleague recommended that the team should equip themselves with 'Nora' wellingtons; we worked on agrochemical trials and these are chemical resistant, comfortable and, without a lining, they could easily be washed out.

Those wellies lasted me for almost 20 years before the tread wore and became smooth and too slippery. I replaced them with the same (I think they are now called 'Nora Dolomites' and, as recommended in WDB's post, a good inner sole is worthwhile.

My occasional job now (I'm mostly retired) involves walking for miles across country. The purists say that this sort of thing should only be attempted in 'sturdy walking boots', but I have found that within an hour of walking in wet grass even the best boots let water in (my Meindls included). I can walk all day in my Noras without getting my feet wet so they are never left at home. I may be lucky, however, as my feet don't seem so prone to sweating heavily compared with some folks.
 What makes a good wellie?? - DeeW
When my parents and sister lived on Inch Kenneth, they all had Nora boots. Not only all the attributes you give them but also you kept your footing on the seaweed strewn rocks - very important when you are the only inhabitants on an island. I inherited my mothers, which have just 'died' after giving sterling service since 1971.
CGN, the boots I currently have are these
www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-tec-ottawa-wp-walking-boots-p203326

very comfy and great for walking but some of the park is now under about 4 or 5 inches of water and very muddy, especially since some of the local lowlife used it for their own Guy Fawkes experiences! So although the boots cope, they get very muddy, messy and the puddles are just going to get deeper!
Thus I thought a pair of wellies would be ideal for wading through and then when I get home, its a quick hose down and ready to use next time.
Re the dog - he just bounds through it and gets mucky and leaves me to clean his feet!!
 What makes a good wellie?? - Dog
If you want the best: www.gumleaf.com/categories/ladies-country-clothing/wellington-boots/

Or grab a pair of F/less's £10 jobbies
 What makes a good wellie?? - NortonES2
Nokian have a good range. I have FINNJAGD, via Amazon. Hard to get anything other than those little boots "Trimmi" in stockists here. Bought because they can be fitted with tungsten carbide studs for icy weather. Essential at 315m. For less extreme weather I use Aigle for the daily (at least once) dog walking, if very wet. The walking boots (Meindl, Berghaus, Brasher - yes 3 pairs, for different terrain) let water in eventually. Aigle btw are designed for walking: good foot bed, no slopping around like cheap gum boots. About 6 years old I think. The Nokian are nearly as good but a little more free to twist, at least in the pair I have.
 What makes a good wellie?? - madf
If you cannot throw your chosen wellies at least 25 metres. then :

They are no good - too light or too heavy

or

you are a wimp..
 What makes a good wellie?? - devonite
My choice (and Farmers) after almost living in them for 30yrs would be the Nora Dolomite, these are light, comfortable, mould to the shape of the foot, have a non-slip sole and are un-lined so that they can be swilled out and dried if you inadvertently "go over the top". These are the Green ones you see most "Country- Folk" wearing at shows and Game fairs etc. highly recommended!

Edit! Oops! beaten to it by Haywain!
Last edited by: devonite on Wed 14 Nov 12 at 12:22
 What makes a good wellie?? - R.P.
Rigger Boots - I toyed with getting a pair as bike boots, my friend has and he reports the £16.00 pair he got as superb all round boots.
 What makes a good wellie?? - Fenlander
>>>Aigle btw are designed for walking: good foot bed, no slopping around like cheap gum boots.

Agreed, take the P out of style seeking horsey types by all means (no-one has but just anticipating) but the need for wellingtons that can be worn all day at horse events has resulted in some superb comfy makes like Aigle.

These for example are excellent..

www.gardenxl.com/wellies/brands/aigle/mens/aigle-parcours-noyer-bronze-mens-wellies

Of course one may seek the Kate Middelton style...

www.barnackcountryclothing.com/blog/womens-wellington-boots/kate-middleton-le-chameau-wellies/

Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 14 Nov 12 at 13:04
 What makes a good wellie?? - Haywain
For all their benefits, Nora Dolomites can't be described as a fashion accessory - they mean business. To compare them with the sort of thing that Fenlander has highlighted would be like comparing a Toyota Hi-Lux with a Rangerover Sport that's just been through a car wash:-)
Nora Dolomites are fine if they suit but they do sit in an odd place in the market. They are hardly any different from the farmers shop's basic £9.99 types yet they cost about £30. I find them far too flexible with little ankle support if worn over rough ground or for long periods.

They are very popular with dairy farmers for wearing in the sheds and yard though. The fact they are unlined so you can wash the cow shat from the inside when you get too close to the rear end is said to be a benefit.

I would have said the Aigle's were the Hilux of the wellie market... my daughters metallic purple Hunters are the Range Rover Sport types.

I have these Dunlops but they might be too heavy for some folks. Strong and well shaped around the foot plus you can drop stuff on them.

www.wellywarehouse.co.uk/dunlop-protomastor-safety-boot-black-p-1858.html
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 14 Nov 12 at 15:52
 What makes a good wellie?? - Lygonos
Got wellies for my 6yo daughter - the 9.99 ones in Tiso's weren't available in her size, so they only had Hunters and I couldn't be azzed to go elsewhere as it was a Sunday and I wanted to eat.

£35 later we have a pair of kids' size 10 dayglo pink wellies.

Fair 'nuff thinks I, expecting she'll get 6 months at least out of them before needing a bigger size.

However, 6 weeks later they're already exposing the box-section of the heel.

Utter gash - only noticed the 'Made in China' on the front of the heel block in tiny letters which just adds to the annoyance (usually I less-than-half-jokingly advise family not to bother buying the kids anything that is either 'Made in China' or takes batteries and makes stupid noises or they go straight to the charity shop).

Pretty sure I saw some grippy looking neoprene wellies in Decathlon for about a tenner earlier in the year that I contemplated getting the kids.. being a good dad I didn't know their sizes, and being a better husband couldn't be bothered phoning home to find out...

I did however get them each a wee fishing net for 1.50 a pop - huuuugely superior to the usual garden cane and mesh effort/
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 14 Nov 12 at 16:30
Reminded by all this of, possibly, of my first pair of wellis as a kid - forever curious I noticed that they were made in Pakistan for Nomads.....often wondered about that.
 What makes a good wellie?? - Old Navy

>> Pretty sure I saw some grippy looking neoprene wellies in Decathlon>>

Hermiston Gait ?
 What makes a good wellie?? - Lygonos
>> Hermiston Gait ?

Aye.

Always find myself stifling a grin whenever I go past the bows-and-arrows and other dangerous stuff in there :-)
Hermiston Gait ?

Sounds like something you could DLA or ESA for.
>> Hermiston Gait ?
>>
>> Sounds like something you could DLA or ESA for.
>>

You might need it after a visit. :-)

tinyurl.com/bpkm7qu

>> Always find myself stifling a grin whenever I go past the bows-and-arrows and other dangerous
>> stuff in there :-)
>>

There is a bigger Decathalon store at the Fort shopping center (M8 J10). It it at the rear of the Morrisons building, it has a larger range of implements of torture up to and including gym machines and assorted boats.
Old Navy,

called into the Decathlon at The Fort on way home from work tonight and they have a good range of welles. Unfortunately their website is down just now but there was one pair about £35 that was long but the top was quite tight round the top of calf and that was me with just work trousers tucked into them. They had Inverness in the name, I remember that!
Felt a bit strange having a full length wellie on that came to my knee - felt a bit pervish / German Nazi leader!!

They did have ones that had a removable fur lining to them, probably only came up to mid calf but they were so comfy, fitted like a glove! Think I am going soft in my old age!!

Will try Go Outdoors over next few days
 What makes a good wellie?? - corax
>> Hermiston Gait ?

I thought that was a particular type of walk after wearing wellies for too long.
Dog, I can't buy a pair of wellies that has "Gusset" in its name!!!
 What makes a good wellie?? - Dog
I bought my gumleaf wellie's some 6 years ago, and I use them every day when I take Mutley out, they are really comfortable and quite sturdy to boot, I probably paid about £50 for them back then - money well spent, and I'd buy them again when the need arises.
 What makes a good wellie?? - Duncan
>> However, I tried doing my morning 2 mile walk in them today and they were
>> so uncomfy, could feel every stone underneath, foot was slipping inside them, ankle rubbing etc.

When trying them on for fit - before buying - wear two pairs of well fitting socks, one thin lightweight pair next to the skin and a thick pair.

Have a good walk around the showroom before committing yourself.

You should be able to wear them all day without discomfort.
 What makes a good wellie?? - henry k
>>Have a good walk around the showroom before committing yourself.
>>You should be able to wear them all day without discomfort.
>>
Or until the shop owner shows you the way out :-(
 What makes a good wellie?? - CGNorwich
Some good stuff at this site aimed at the dog walking market.

www.easy-wellies.co.uk/dog-walking-wellies-c-127.html
 What makes a good wellie?? - Bigtee
Hunter wellies all the rage.

I have some from work steel toe capped very rare i wear them.
 What makes a good wellie?? - madf
>> Hunter wellies all the rage.
>>
>> I have some from work steel toe capped very rare i wear them.
>>

Good for the sport of chav kicking - so I hear.
 What makes a good wellie?? - matt a
Muckboots are superb mine are neoprene lined "Tay" muckboots. Wear all day and walk ten plus miles in them absoulutely fantastic!
>>>they only had Hunters... Fair 'nuff thinks I, expecting she'll get 6 months at least out of them before needing a bigger size. However, 6 weeks later they're already exposing the box-section of the heel.

Yes I had my one and only pair of Hunters in the 80s and exactly the same happened hence never again for me.
My Hunters are three years old, still fine.
Latest Forum Posts