Non-motoring > Meanwhile... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 33

Meanwhile... - Armel Coussine
... an Israeli air strike has zapped the head of Hamas in Gaza and the Israeli navy is attacking Gaza from the sea.

That'll help calm everything down. The US president must be overjoyed.
 Meanwhile... - Focusless
BBC report: www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20328579
 Meanwhile... - Harleyman
I wondered how long this cheaper petrol would last.
 Meanwhile... - R.P.
Exactly !
 Meanwhile... - Focusless
DM report includes video of 'pinpoint' F15 missile strike taken from chopper:
tinyurl.com/cxny92u
 Meanwhile... - Lygonos
Lebensraum.
 Meanwhile... - Dog
The zionists go on about all the rockets fired at them from the strip, but they don't tell you about the 13 year old child that was killed by the IDF that started it all a'rolling again.

Although I am anti-zionist, I can't for the life of me understand why the Gazans lob their puny rockets over the border, knowing full well the high tech killing machines that Israel has at its disposal.

21.12.12 ... not long now :(
 Meanwhile... - sooty123
All part of the tit for tat been going on for decades. This is just the latest chapter.
 Meanwhile... - rtj70
The bit I never understand (like Dog I think) is why you'd lob even a pebble at Israel. They will lob something a lot larger back at you. They always have and always will. And will continue to do so to protect their existence.

They have bigger 'rocks' than some middle east countries.
 Meanwhile... - R.P.
I reckon they're yanking the Egyptian chain on purpose - a country whose military is arguably very strong - but hardly likely to be a cohesive force - their top Generals are no fans of the "brotherhood"
 Meanwhile... - Dutchie
And these bigger rocks are supplied by the State.They are looking for a fight with Iran,what we need like a hole in the wall.
 Meanwhile... - rtj70
They have been ready to probably bomb Iran's developments for nuclear development for years and been held back. We don't want that happening but might not be able to stop it.

... Ah well such is life.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 14 Nov 12 at 23:56
 Meanwhile... - madf
If we had followed Israel's lead when the IRA were bombing NI, Dublin would be a wasteland.
 Meanwhile... - John H
>> If we had followed Israel's lead when the IRA were bombing NI, Dublin would be
>> a wasteland.
>>

Sorry, don't follow how you equate Hamas/West-Bank to IRA/Dublin.

Meanwhile... - Dog
That tactic has been tried before: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Kochba_rebellion but still the bloodshed continues to this day, as it surely would have done if we had upped the ante in the Emerald Isle.

Meanwhile... - Cliff Pope
>> if we had upped the ante in the Emerald
>> Isle.
>>

I didn't read madf's post as advocating that policy, simply highlighting the futility of Israel's policy by pointing out it's disastrous consequences had we applied it in slightly similar circumstances in ireland.
 Meanwhile... - Dog
Fair point effendi.
 Meanwhile... - Bromptonaut
>> The bit I never understand (like Dog I think) is why you'd lob even a
>> pebble at Israel. They will lob something a lot larger back at you. They always
>> have and always will. And will continue to do so to protect their existence.
>>
>> They have bigger 'rocks' than some middle east countries.

If they lived side by side in comparable security, standard of life etc. that might hold.

However, if you keep people from what they regard as their homeland and in a place where they perceive themselves second class citizens then the WILL fightback.

Human Nature.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 15 Nov 12 at 11:15
 Meanwhile... - Dog
Tis a shame they can't all live together really (they used to)

There's about 1.4m Gazans + about 2m in the West Bank, which is nothing when you think about the population of say London.

And - both 'sides' are of Semitic origin, but divided by our old friend ... Religion.
 Meanwhile... - R.P.
Tony Blair is in his comfort zone then.
 Meanwhile... - WillDeBeest
All part of the tit for tat been going on for decades...

More like bish-bash-kerplannnnng for tat, though, isn't it? And all funded by the US. And yet Israel and its apologists are quick to bleat 'antisemitism' at anyone who points out how many UN resolutions they are in breach of. We used to have one here who couldn't, or wouldn't, see the difference between a bigoted prejudice against an entire ethnic group and a reasoned political objection to the illegal behaviour of one subset of that group. It's not what they are, it's what they do.
 Meanwhile... - R.P.
Blame Balfour - we started it.
 Meanwhile... - TheManWithNoName
What car was it?

And what's with the two men in hi vis vests trying to jump start it, or were they nicking the battery?
 Meanwhile... - Ambo
Frighteningly accurate missile, assuming it was not a random strike.
 Meanwhile... - neiltoo
There has to have been some inside intelligence.
They also got a major missile store.
Mossad maybe?
 Meanwhile... - Armel Coussine
>> Frighteningly accurate missile, assuming it was not a random strike.

Some modern missiles are frighteningly accurate. They are frighteningly expensive too. The trick air forces aren't always good at is hitting the right target without causing collateral damage (killing innocent bystanders). That's because they are frighteningly destructive. Of course taxpayers expect a bit of bang for their buck. Filthy business, war.
 Meanwhile... - Focusless
>> Frighteningly accurate missile, assuming it was not a random strike.

The missile was probably just homing in on the laser being shone on the car, possibly by someone in the helicopter which took the footage?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_guidance
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 15 Nov 12 at 18:40
 Meanwhile... - Zero
>> >> Frighteningly accurate missile, assuming it was not a random strike.
>>
>> The missile was probably just homing in on the laser being shone on the car,
>> possibly by someone in the helicopter which took the footage?
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_guidance

Or drone. Or Special forces operative on the ground. The gps transponder planted on the car probably helped in identification.....
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 15 Nov 12 at 19:06
 Meanwhile... - Old Navy
>> What car was it?
>>

A KIA Forte 2012 model, a Ceed equivalent not sold in Europe.

Meanwhile... - TheManWithNoName
Hmm, five star NCap rating I believe.
 Meanwhile... - R.P.
Ha Ha....Reminds me of a cartoon in Private Eye this week, picture a supermarket self check-out in a state of disrepair and a large type meteorite on the bagging area shelf. Caption reads "Unexpected item in Bagging area" !
 Meanwhile... - Old Navy
In that situation I would have thought a full armoured Landcruiser would have been better than a low profile option but I doubt if a battle tank would survive if someone with the appropriate assets wanted to get you.
 Egypt to join in? - Focusless
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20356555

"Egyptian leaders have promised to support Gaza against Israeli attacks, as violence escalated for a third day."
 Egypt to join in? - Zero
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20356555
>>
>> "Egyptian leaders have promised to support Gaza against Israeli attacks, as violence escalated for a
>> third day."

"Support" and "Joining in" are usually a million miles apart.
Latest Forum Posts