Non-motoring > Train - emergency stop? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 23

Train - emergency stop? - Focusless
Twice in the last month I've been on a train (125) which has been pulling out of a station when it feels like the brakes have been slammed on. A piercing tone has started, along with a recording of someone counting up to 30.

In both cases no-one paid much attention, and a couple of minutes after the counting and tone stopped we just started on our way again.

Did someone pull the emergency cord (or whatever it's called these days)? What's the purpose of the count-up?
 Train - emergency stop? - Bromptonaut
Been in my fair share of full brake applications in thirty years of commuting but never heard the count-up. Getting emergency alarm confused with lock is pretty easy on a Pendolino but that just actuates a warble alarm.

Comforting how quickly a modern train can stop when it has to but the smell of hot brakes can be pretty disconcerting.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 15 Nov 12 at 19:21
 Train - emergency stop? - R.P.
I'll ask one of my FB buddies - he works on that service...
Thanks - small world :) I've got to recognise quite a few of the regulars during the 6+ years I've been doing that commute; seem like a good bunch.
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 15 Nov 12 at 19:44
Who is the operator ? My friend asks
 Train - emergency stop? - Zero
Sounds to me like emergency application of brakes after

a: a Spad

b: failure to acknowledge an alerter

c: if its pulling out of a station, and its electric, it could be an overcurrent situation.
>> c: if its pulling out of a station, and its electric, it could be an
>> overcurrent situation.

Not that one - they're 125s.
Figured the were 43's based on your previous journey experiences.
>> Figured the were 43's based on your previous journey experiences.

Sorry, I must be missing something - they are type 43s, or Intercity 125s which I understand to be the same thing. And they're not electric. Can you explain?
>> >> Figured the were 43's based on your previous journey experiences.
>>
>> Sorry, I must be missing something - they are type 43s, or Intercity 125s which
>> I understand to be the same thing. And they're not electric. Can you explain?

Missing nothing, I kind of assumed they were 43's or IC 125s if you like, based on descriptions of your previous journeys, which is why I qualified c: with "IF its electric."
>> Missing nothing

Ah ok, apologies - I (mis-)read your follow-up as implying 43s are electric.
Not that one - they're 125s. :-)
>> Sounds to me like emergency application of brakes after
>>
>> a: a Spad

Signal Passed at Danger in case anyone else also didn't know what that means.
>> Who is the operator ?

FGW
From my friend.

Not too sure, sounds like some sort of safety measure, could be related to wheel slip and lack of adhesion due to leaves, thus bringing the brakes on. Doesn't happen on our trains, but there is a lot of adhesion problems at the moment.
>> on our trains, but there is a lot of adhesion problems at the moment.

Yeah, caught Tangmere slipping a lot last weekend had a diesel on the back that was shoving it from time to time and Clan Line been pulled from a couple of tours round the surrey hills line, the track cleaner has been out a lot.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 15 Nov 12 at 20:36
Ok, thanks for that, and thanks to Z for those suggestions too.

The count-up makes me think I'm in a episode of Lost :)
>> could be related to wheel slip and lack of adhesion due to leaves

The first bit of my commute is a 5 minute hop from Earley to Reading on the Waterloo-Reading line, and at this time of year it's scheduled 2 minutes later to allow for adhesion problems.
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 15 Nov 12 at 20:43
 Train - emergency stop? - Bromptonaut
>> Been in my fair share of full brake applications in thirty years of commuting but
>> never heard the count-up. but that just actuates a warble alarm.

Missed words out there. Getting emergency alarm confused with toilet door lock is pretty easy on a Pendolino. IF count is audible in carriages then I suspect it's meant to be audible to guard so probably associated with a passenger or catering crew problem than a driver issue. Are FGW's 125s undergoing modernisation?

Quite common for trains to enter service before faults and passenger/facility interface problems manifest themselves.

On Siemens Desiros its the powered door on the dunny that needs to be closed with one button THEN LOCKED WITH ANOTHER. Two or three people per hour off peak were being caught in mid widdle when unsuspecting passenger presses open button on outside before they modified lock light to flash.
Mmm... AFAIK no modernisation work currently being done. Most of the loos just have manual locks, but there's at least one disabled loo (carriage C) with motorised sliding door and electronic lock - might be something to do with that. And yes, separate buttons for 'close' and 'lock'.
Google might have found the answer:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_brake_(train)#Possible_consequences_of_operating_the_emergency_brake

"Putting the engineer's brake handle into the emergency position may also:
:
- Send an emergency radio signal, if the brake handle has been in the emergency position for over 30 seconds"

ie. the count is just to make the person holding the brake aware of how much longer they have to hold it to trigger the signal?
Little out of date that article...

In the UK, there is a fine of £25 for pulling the alarm chain without good reason.
>> Little out of date that article...

So are the trains :)

(although I like them)
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 15 Nov 12 at 21:29
>> >> Little out of date that article...
>>
>> So are the trains :)
>>
>> (although I like them)

The 43's? Possibly the finest trains ever made and still running on any railway anywhere. Been pounding up and down the lines at 125 mph for millions and millions of miles, for near on 40 years. (ok they have been re-engined and updated in various areas - but still!)
Latest Forum Posts