Non-motoring > TalkTalk Youview box package Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 16

TalkTalk + Youview box package - Focusless
What does the forum think of this TalkTalk package:
sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/tv

The £29 per month* is about the same as what we currently pay O2 for a similar package, except it's just phone and broadband. At the moment we've just a basic 80GB Digihome SD PVR, which is fine, and our Panny Blu-ray player with wifi offers iPlayer for BBC programmes. But the Youview thing looks quite good - HD, with players for all the main channels.

Any thoughts?

* £60 cheaper over the year if you pay a year's line rental up front
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 17 Nov 12 at 20:50
 TalkTalk + Youview box package - Focusless
>> The £29 per month is about the same as what we currently pay O2

(just checked - it's £26.50)
 TalkTalk + Youview box package - Zero
I havent pressed the upgrade button, I keep refusing to re-sign for another year contract and threatening to leave, and they keep giving me free bits and money off.

I have the unlimited package (line rental, unlimited download, 24 x 7 free uk calls) at 24.99 month with a free international calls boost.

If I upgrade to TV it all goes up, and the TV is not giving me any more than my TV, DVD and PVR. (I have a mini hub behind that lot - three internet connections!)
 TalkTalk + Youview box package - mikeyb
I've just ditched Sky. They were offering ex customers 75% off for 12 months if you came back.

As an existing customer I asked for a better deal - offered 20% off, so said I'd leave. Kids have just realised that the kids channels have gone -)

I like the look of the talk talk offering, although the terrible customer service puts me off.

If you go for it don't forget to go through quidco. Currently offering £75 cash back for a new sign up who doesent need a new line installed
 TalkTalk + Youview box package - Roger.
Talk Talk member's forums are good at sorting out problems. They are monitored by and have contributions from, TT staff members who are dedicated troubleshooters.
A lass called Emma really sorted out our fibre optic installation hiccups!
 TalkTalk + Youview box package - VxFan
>> I've just ditched Sky. They were offering ex customers 75% off for 12 months if
>> you came back.
>>
>> As an existing customer I asked for a better deal - offered 20% off, so
>> said I'd leave.

Now that you've left, you've become an ex customer, so does that now entitle you to the 75% off?
 TalkTalk + Youview box package - mikeyb
>> >> I've just ditched Sky. They were offering ex customers 75% off for 12 months
>> if
>> >> you came back.
>> >>
>> >> As an existing customer I asked for a better deal - offered 20% off,
>> so
>> >> said I'd leave.
>>
>> Now that you've left, you've become an ex customer, so does that now entitle you
>> to the 75% off?
>>

Sadly not. The nice lady I spoke to told me that the offer had been pulled fairly quickly as people who had been offered the deal told friends who were existing customers of the deals to be had. Many did as I did and and threatened to leave.

She said that it had caused them a large amount of grief in customer retention's.

I'm sitting tight, but expecting that some kind of offer may be forthcoming, although Mrs B is on a cost saving / mortgage overpaying drive so I may find that the budget is not released back to me!
 TalkTalk + Youview box package - sooty123

>> Sadly not. The nice lady I spoke to told me that the offer had been
>> pulled fairly quickly as people who had been offered the deal told friends who were
>> existing customers of the deals to be had. Many did as I did and and
>> threatened to leave.
>>
>> She said that it had caused them a large amount of grief in customer retention's.
>>
>>
>> I'm sitting tight, but expecting that some kind of offer may be forthcoming, although Mrs
>> B is on a cost saving / mortgage overpaying drive so I may find that
>> the budget is not released back to me!
>>

I've never tried it on but have had to cancel all sorts of contracts due to having to move about. Nearly always been 'right, when would you like to cancel?' I think a deal/offer to stay has happened twice that's it. Reading on the internet it seems to happen all the time.
 TalkTalk + Youview box package - Clk Sec
>> although the terrible customer service puts me off.

As an ex customer, I would recommend that you look elsewhere.
 TalkTalk + Youview box package - Roger.
I would be very wary of any TV deal which entails the signal coming to you via a telephone connection.
Even with our fibre optic, which shows at least the high twenties in Mbs, when checking with speedtest.net, there are time when buffering takes place.
I suspect this may be more of a sources/site server capability under heavy load, bit still not good.
It may be that broadcast media sources will have servers capable of maintaining high speed streaming, but it seems more likely that if this form of TV becomes more popular, that the telephone network itself may not cope.
 TalkTalk + Youview box package - No FM2R
speedtest.net tests the highest speed available to you at a point in time. Internet usage typically requires its highest speeds sporadically and briefly. Video streaming requires a constant high level.

Contention is an issue which is not seen as quite so important in broadband supply as it is in television supply for that reason.

This is why peer to peer sharing is seen as an issue. It uses broadband capacity but behaves more like streaming.

Its also why periodically the ISPs trie to get the BBC, amongst others, to cough up for the bandwidth demands of iPlayer.

Thus you cannot judge the likely performance of tv streaming by the performance of normal internet broadband supply, although the maximum speeds are likely to be similar.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 20 Nov 12 at 21:35
 TalkTalk + Youview box package - R.P.
We use BTVision's excellent iPlayer - no buffering - no break up. 4 Mb....is all we can get.
 TalkTalk + Youview box package - No FM2R
Dedicated bandwidth, no contention. And even 4mb is more than you need.
The broadband suppliers use a technique called packet shaping, throttling and priority. If you are a heavy peer to peer user, they will throttle PTP traffic during peak periods. If you are signed on to a TV online subscription service you will get higher throughput on those ports to enable subscription video streaming with no buffering.
Wow - impressed with that. What is peer to peer defined as in these circs ?
>> Wow - impressed with that. What is peer to peer defined as in these circs

Bit Torrents - IE Pirate bay. Stealing stuff.

There are some other peer to peer applications they try to let through, like Skype.

We do the odd bit of Face Time now and again, I pay for all my programmes though - Guessed it would be something like that....
Latest Forum Posts