Non-motoring > As seen on TV - Vol 6   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 104

As seen on TV - Vol 6 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 7 *****

A place to discuss what's on TV that might be of interest to others. (exc. Top Gear, F1, for example - which have threads of their own)

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 5 Feb 13 at 10:30

Impractical Jokers - Alanovich
Happened to be watching Russell Howard's show on BBC 3 last night (I must be a yoof still in some respects), and after it finished there was a new hidden camera comedy show called Impractical Jokers. The conceit was that four comedians, one of which I'd heard of, took turns to be placed in situations dealing with the general public, whilst being fed lines and behaviour suggestions of an embarrassing nature by the remaining three who were sat in a van watching and listening remotely.

One of these situations was in a Citroen dealership, with the comedians posing as sales people, and dealing with potential buyers. Some of the things they came out with about the vehicles was utterly ridiculous, and yet several Joe/Joanna publics were completely taken in by the nonsense being told to them. One comedian even managed to convince a very attractive young lady to climb in to the boot of a DS5 in order to demonstrate its roominess.

There were some other less amusing/interesting scenarios and some of the language was a bit fruity, but it's worth a watch if it available on iPlayer for the car dealer scene alone.

Being a European, and therefore given to being amused by such nonsense, Mrs A was guffawing loudly throughout, but where she comes from Benny Hill is still taken to be high art.

Not the greatest, but thought it worth mentioning on here for the funny car related bit.

DS5s do look really nice, I've decided.

Impractical Jokers - Focusless
Will try to catch that. Reminds me of this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqh8gTAglaI

Impractical Jokers - sherlock47
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00zwstm/Impractical_Jokers_Series_1_Episode_1/

starts at about 7 minutes in :)

Impractical Jokers - R.P.
That was quite funny - fair play to the Citroen dealers for letting them do it. Wonder what happened to the punters ? Did any go onto buy ?

Impractical Jokers - Focusless
I laughed at the first bit in the hair dressers, but found the car dealer section was making me cringe too much. Might have stuck with it if I'd been watching it 'live' - will try to remember next week.
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 17 Nov 12 at 19:33

The Last Days of Steam BBC4 7pm - Focusless
It's a repeat, so the train-spotters will probably already have seen it, but just in case.
www.radiotimes.com/episode/r88t/timeshift--timeshift-last-days-of-steam

The Last Days of Steam BBC4 7pm - zookeeper
i watched bits of it on youtube and came across the US version....i d/l all the episodes on kickass torrent

The Last Days of Steam BBC4 7pm - Zero
seen it, its very good.

X Factor - No FM2R
Focusless,

Struck out I'm afraid.

I e-mailed a friend of mine who I thought worked for Timeslice who I'm sure have done XFactor before.

But his e-mail address bounced. In fact timeslice now seem completely inactive. It may be done by XFilms now, but I don't know anyone there.

I was told that previous years were laser projections, but I cannot get a definitive answer for this year.

I'll let you know if I hear anything, but our best bet now is finding someone who was actually there this year.

X Factor - Focusless
No probs, thanks Mark.

After Ella getting the chop last week, who do you think will go next? The way things are going the final's going to be between Rylan and Christopher :(
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 22 Nov 12 at 16:20

X Factor - No FM2R
Prophetic, that's what it is... 5 minutes after I write here, I get an e-mail.

www.colorkinetics.com/showcase/installs/xfactor/

So now you know, its real, not computer generated.

I think Simon Cowell said it a few years ago, the criteria is this - would you spend your cash on their CD?".

In which case I think Rylan's ok, but I wouldn't pay to see him. Christopher wouldn't annoy me on the Embassy Club cabaret. Jah-thingy wouldn't irritate me when my daughter was watching it. The boy band sounds like all the others to me, but they're ok.

Lucy Spraggan is unfortunately only as good as I think she is, not as good as she thinks she is. She's just a modern Chas 'n Dave.

But I wouldn't pay to listen to any of them.

After hearing Ella sing her own material in the first audition, and actually manage to put meaning into what was previously seen to be complete rubbish, Believe. Well, I just might pay for a CD by her.

Her only issue is that her father is her manager - that, I guarantee, will end in tears. But she'll end up at Columbia or SyCo.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 16 Dec 12 at 18:15
 X Factor - Focusless
>> www.colorkinetics.com/showcase/installs/xfactor/

Wow - I bet that doesn't come cheap. Does give impressive results though.

>> In which case I think Rylan's ok, but I wouldn't pay to see him.

That time when he started off slow, before 'mixing it up', he didn't sound too bad, as Gary pointed out. But no, me neither.

>> Jah-thingy wouldn't irritate me when my daughter
>> was watching it.

Seems like a nice lad, with some issues, and an amazing voice which I find tends to be a bit OTT for my tastes. Probably sounds amazing in the studio.

>> The boy band sounds like all the others to me, but they're ok.

At least you can (usually) hear their own harmonies rather than being drowned out by the massed voices on the backing track, which tended to happen in the earlier rounds.

>> Lucy Spraggan is unfortunately only as good as I think she is, not as good
>> as she thinks she is. She's just a modern Chas 'n Dave.

:) I liked her audition and early finals appearances - nice to see something different, but the format was never going to suit her.

>> After hearing Ella sing her own material in the first audition, and actually manage to
>> put meaning into what was previously seen to be complete rubbish, Believe. Well, I just
>> might pay for a CD by her.

Yeah, I thought she did a top notch performance last week (or week before), as did James. I guess the X Factor (voting) audience is mostly composed of female teens who are going to prefer a boy band?

Oh well - like you say if she does have talent she'll end up with a record deal somewhere. Although as with any X Factor contestant, if they really do have 'the X factor', why do they need exposure on a ratings topping national TV programme? (But good luck to them.)
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 16 Dec 12 at 18:15

X Factor - No FM2R
>why do they need exposure on a ratings topping national TV programme?

Because the A&R people have a million acts in front of them, all of whom are amazingly talented, with nothing to tell between them.

Having the XFactor is no more than your entrance ticket to the game. You need mroe than that to be invited to play.

Anything which gives an edge, allows you to reach the notice or A&R, tablois and public all add to the odds of you being successful.

And so many people fail, even after getting contracts, that the odds matter to the investors.

Look how many people with dodgy voices are famous and successful. Sadly people don't pay for vocal excellence, they pay for a fashionable item, or for a personality, or for a gimmick, or something.

Ultimately people pay for something they want to listen to. Winning the XFactor does not bring that - Steve Bernstein or the irritating scottish girl for example. Equally, losing the XFactor does not mean the end.

Catch the imagination of the people and the press, and away you go.

X Factor - Focusless
Did you see Bruno Mars' (+ band) performance on Sunday night? Never bought any of his stuff, but it blew me away. He should win :)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_qVXj7ugDU (skip to 30 secs in)
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 27 Nov 12 at 07:21

X Factor - Focusless
...and earlier in the day, more excellent live music - McFly playing at the end of Sunday Brunch:
www.channel4.com/programmes/sunday-brunch/4od (1:52:40)
Union J take note :)

'Squeeze: Take Me I'm Yours' BBC4 9pm tonight - R.P.
Went to see them at the Hexagon Reading on Sat. night - cheered up a damp night. Excellent night out - acoustics were a bit harsh for my taste - sounded much better at the Liverpool Empire where we last saw them. Very energetic.

Supersized Earth - The Way We Move - Focusless
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p58r8/Supersized_Earth_The_Way_We_Move/

Lots of impressive engineering stuff - the Chinese bridges (starts at 9:50; they have 10 out of the top 20 highest in the world IIRC) were particularly photogenic, and watching that ship 'load' the full size drilling rig was good too (36:00). They also showed a '300bhp' TT piloting itself around a racing track only slightly slower than the track record (24:20).

Undemanding, but I enjoyed it.

"In this episode, Dallas explores how we can travel further and faster than ever before - and how our desire to shrink the world is inspiring some of the most extraordinary engineering projects on the planet. He takes a treacherous walk along what will be one of the longest suspension bridges in the world and reveals how to move an object the size of Buckingham Palace half way around the globe. He examines how we have created a permanent home beyond the atmosphere in space and here on earth, he takes part in a modern day love affair - a drive-through wedding."

Pensioners behind bars - L'escargot
Thursday ITV 9.00pm. I'm hoping to pick up some tips from John Douglas who became a drug dealer to supplement his pension at age 74.

Pensioners behind bars - Jacks
If he is banged up - probably not the best template to copy?

If you're a keen gardener it's probably easier for you to grow weed !

Pensioners behind bars - Alanovich
Rabbits tend to get at it, so I've been told. Ahem.

Pensioners behind bars - Dog
Many elderly people would be better orf in prison TBH - 3 'square' meals a day, no heating bills, a bit of social banter, access to an arf decent library, a doctor on hand, no responsibilities etc., etc., etc..

There are down sides of course - your cell mate could a crook (or worse!)

:-))

Pensioners behind bars - Meldrew
Don't forget, no Council tax, no TV licence, free further education and more. Not having the vote might actually be an advantage!

Pensioners behind bars - Dog
And ... no women!

:-D

Pensioners behind bars - Roger.
>> And ... no women!
>>
>> :-D
After a point in one's age, women cease to be anything but a living hot-water bottle!
(Or dreams!)

Pensioners behind bars - crocks
Isn't "L'escargot behind bars" one of Heston Blumenthal's favourites?
;-)

Pensioners behind bars - Zero
cant keep snails out of my greenhouse, no way will they stay behind bars.

Pensioners behind bars - Westpig
Isn't there an American programme on this sort of thing...'Seniors gone bad'

C Tarrant: Extreme Railways - Australian Outback - Focusless
Channel 5 9pm (or C5+1 of course, freeview 44), or 7/8pm tomorrow.

Saw some of this last week when he was in the Congo, and it was pretty good. Will be watching it this week - includes time in the cab of a mile-and-a-half long freight train.

www.radiotimes.com/episode/s9b46/chris-tarrant-extreme-railways--series-1---episode-2

Chris crosses Australia from south to north following the original ill-fated route of the 2,000-mile long Adelaide to Darwin railway. After beginning his journey on a luxury modern train, he transfers to one of the line's surviving steam locomotives before hitting the Outback, where he quickly concludes that a 4x4 is a more practical means of travelling. He passes through ghost towns and explores abandoned railway relics before uncovering why most of the southern section of the line eventually had to be abandoned. At Alice Springs he hitches a ride on a freight train headed for Darwin and reaches his final destination after nearly 24 hours in the cramped cab.

Age of Consent - Roger.
This 1969 film was on TV last night.
It featured James Mason and a very young Helen Mirren, who got her kit off quite a lot.
The film proved two things.
(a) What a terrible actor James Mason was.
(b) What a fabulous figure Helen Mirren had/has.

Age of Consent - mikeyb
>> The film proved two things.
>> (a) What a terrible actor James Mason was.
>> (b) What a fabulous figure Helen Mirren had/has.
>>

Think I would consider her as MILF

Age of Consent - Focusless
>> >> (b) What a fabulous figure Helen Mirren had/has.
>>
>> Think I would consider her as MILF

..except she's not an M, which no doubt helps (b) :)

Age of Consent - mikeyb
Ahhh you are indeed correct! (according to wiki)

Age of Consent - Roger.
She has, therefore, to be an ILF!

Strictly semi-final - top song (and dance) - Focusless
Anyone else see the Strictly semi-final on Saturday? Denise and James's first dance didn't get the highest score, but the song (performed by the live band in the studio) made the hairs on my neck and arms stand up:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIPCx1wYVaU

Kimberly to win?

Strictly semi-final - top song (and dance) - Zero
Thought that was their second dance? That version is pretty poor IMHO, the Roberta Flack one is far superior

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOFrGbuUqnQ

Tracey beaker to win
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 17 Dec 12 at 13:43

>> Thought that was their second dance?

You're probably right, it was a long time ago (ahem).

>> That version is pretty poor IMHO, the Roberta Flack
>> one is far superior

Horses for courses I suppose - nothing against Rob's version, but it was the Strictly vocalist's tone which got me (the fact it was live probably helped too).

>> Tracey beaker to win

Well it looks like Denise hasn't got the public support she'll need to win it, even if she has the skills. It might well be the short one - she's pretty good, if Mrs F is anything to go by Vincent is very popular with the ladies, and I find him quite entertaining.

Strictly semi-final - top song (and dance) - Old Navy
That Catherine Jenkins can certainly shake a leg, not that I watch strictly of course. :-)

Its a bit compulsory in our house.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 17 Dec 12 at 14:09

Strictly semi-final - top song (and dance) - Roger.
>> That Catherine Jenkins can certainly shake a leg, not that I watch strictly of course.
>> :-)
You should have seen her dancing in her own Christmas show a few days ago.
She was very good indeed and it was a big surprise to me who only knew her from her singing "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" at the National Stadium in Cardiff before a Rugby Union international.
She can sing a bit, although not to very high grand opera standards, so I guess she is broadening her audience.
The girl's got talent as well as being very, very, easy on the eye.
I'm now a fan!
Last edited by: Roger on Mon 17 Dec 12 at 17:51

I found C Jenkins singing Santa Baby a bit incongruous - not denying she's good looking, but not in 'that' sort of way :)

Still, it sounded better (ie. less operatic) than some of her previous attempts at 'pop' eg.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-IX9a4r7wY

Strictly semi-final - top song (and dance) - swiss tony
>> I found C Jenkins singing Santa Baby a bit incongruous - not denying she's good
>> looking, but not in 'that' sort of way :)

youtu.be/ROctad67i8U

Strictly semi-final - top song (and dance) - R.P.
She's K Jenkins BTW...:-)

Strictly semi-final - top song (and dance) - John H
Strictly semi-final - top song (and dance)

Who was the "Banta baby" singer?

>> That version is pretty poor IMHO,
>>

that reminds me.

I liked this www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8vbGjzqezo
just as much as the INXS version www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VU9DjQpvMQ

>> Strictly semi-final - top song (and dance)
>>
>> Who was the "Banta baby" singer?
>>

"Banta baby"? I meant "Santa baby"

Hehe. How did that happen? B and S are nowhere near on the keyboard!

another song from Saturday
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p012nw4c
which I thought did not do any justice to the original
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY (356,523,810 views - wow).

>> >> Who was the "Santa baby" singer?
>>

Answering my own question, it was

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nffI5my8fTE

Strictly semi-final - top song (and dance) - Roger.
Denise Van Outen is a seriously good looking lass: I am told by my in-house, resident expert that she can dance well, too.
I'd vote for her on looks alone!

Strictly semi-final - top song (and dance) - -
Now you've done Z, working through Roberta Flacks songs and for some reason fighting back the tears, queen of song emotion?.

See her in my memory as clear as on the day the first time i saw her on TOTP in a previous life.

Class.

Strictly semi-final - top song (and dance) - Clk Sec
>>Kimberly to win?

I'll be very surprised if she doesn't.

Strictly semi-final - top song (and dance) - Armel Coussine
Winsome babes are legion on the box, somewhat more numerous proportionately than they are in real life. So why does anyone feel it necessary to watch rock-bottom embarrassing schlock with lots of dumbos and talentless exhibitionists to get a glimpse of one every now and then? It's completely beyond me. Perhaps I'm lucky in that I get to see real ones in the flesh quite often.

>> Perhaps I'm lucky in that I get to see real ones in the flesh quite often.

At a book launch last week saw, heard and conversed for several minutes with a charming publisher who appeared even at close quarters to be aged somewhere around 30. Quite taken aback to learn a few days later that she is in fact over 50. I was sober too (had to drive back).

>> So why does anyone feel it necessary to watch rock-bottom embarrassing schlock with
>> lots of dumbos and talentless exhibitionists to get a glimpse of one every now and
>> then?

Apologies for the late reply AC - missed this on Monday - but do you mean Strictly? Or did you have something else in mind?

Apologies for the late reply AC.... but do you mean Strictly?

Yes I did. But it's probably I who should apologise for that rather rude and graceless (and apparently boastful) post. I think it's ghastly but I can sort of see that lots of people get harmless amusement from it.

I do know lots of winsome babes of all ages though. Ones with brains and guts too.

>> I think it's ghastly but I can sort of see that lots of people get harmless amusement from it.

Well yes - if nothing else it's good live music and dancing, and rather good dancing by this stage of the competition. But I can understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

However I thought your categorisation of the contestants as "dumbos and talentless exhibitionists" was a bit harsh. Obviously the ones that are natural entertainers (Denise Van Outen?) will be exhibitionists to an extent, as it tends to go hand-in-hand with the job. It's probably lack of exhibitionism that was Victoria Pendleton's undoing.

But I can't think of anyone who is actually talentless - perhaps you're thinking of Lisa Riley? Even she got a job as an actor on a national TV programme, which must count for something. And while none of them (AFAIK) are members of MENSA, why should they be?

I know you weren't really being serious, but I know Zero watches it and I felt I had to defend his viewing habits for him :)
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 20 Dec 12 at 07:26

>> I know you weren't really being serious, but I know Zero watches it and I
>> felt I had to defend his viewing habits for him :)

Dont need defending, Lewis and Flavia winners!

He (and she) definitely deserved it - very nice young man who you could see developing as the weeks went by. Mrs F has already watched the recording of his topless dance a few times, and it was quite impressive.

Saw a headline in one of the tabloids that this will have been Brucie's last year - probably a wise move. Don't know who's replacing him - is Tess going to take over? I think she's better when she's in the lead role rather than playing second fiddle, although I not a big fan. Anton's name has been mentioned in the past.

>> Saw a headline in one of the tabloids that this will have been Brucie's last
>> year - probably a wise move. Don't know who's replacing him - is Tess going
>> to take over? I think she's better when she's in the lead role rather than
>> playing second fiddle, although I not a big fan. Anton's name has been mentioned in
>> the past.

Brucie has denied he is leaving. Think he is past it myself, but Tess is too lightweight to take over, and has terrible dress sense.

Anton? no - not enough presence or experience. So who should it be? Thinking Wogan or Graeme Norton.

Now (10pm) BBC2 - Rhod Gilbert with S Wales police - Focusless
Part of Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience series - don't know if repeat.

Now (10pm) BBC2 - Rhod Gilbert with S Wales police - R.P.
This series and the preceding one was shown on BBC Wales last year - very, very good - the one at the zoo and the school one stand out - Rhod was visibly moved by his experiences at the primary school.

Now (10pm) BBC2 - Rhod Gilbert with S Wales police - Focusless
I don't think this was one of the moving ones, but it was pretty funny, and I'm not a big fan of his stand up from what I've seen of it.

Match of the Day - No FM2R
Perhaps there are no other football fans here..

But, Robbie Savage seems to be a completely awful football "pundit" and a pretty irritating personality.

However, it would seem that someone at the BBC is determined to launch him into everything.......

Match of the Day - Zero
>> Perhaps there are no other football fans here..

Plenty

>> But, Robbie Savage seems to be a completely awful football "pundit" and a pretty irritating
>> personality.

knows his soccer, but is terrible on TV

Match of the Day - No FM2R
>>knows his soccer, but is terrible on TV

I don't know, I've never heard him complete an entire sentence on his own to actually know whether or not he had something valuable to say.

Fair point about Ian Wright. He is awful.

I like people called Alan as pundits with Lineker doing the presenting.

Match of the Day - zookeeper
he didnt do a lot when he played for leicester.. 8 goals in 5 years

Match of the Day - Robin O'Reliant
Many ex-pros seem to understand little about the game other than obviously having the ability to play it of course. Andy Townsend is dire, imparting little of any use and boring as well. By far the worst IMO is Ian Wright, he talks crap and has me reaching for the off switch.

I agree with you about Savage, so full of cliches you could see him as a jobbing manager one day.

Match of the Day - Runfer D'Hills
I met ( well, stood close to ) Robbie Savage in Selfridges in the Trafford Centre once. He was buying an expensive pair of ladies shoes. They would have definitely been too small for him though, which was something of a relief, although I can't begin to imagine why I'd care if they had been his size.

I know nothing about football but I'd have a stab at commentating...

"yes, well, they're all still running about a bit again kicking the ball back and forth...yes still doing that...one of them has deliberately fallen over and is feigning agony now... running about again...interminably actually...oh look one of them has actually kicked the ball towards the opposing goal...unsuccessfully...you'd think they'd try to do that more often wouldn't you? I mean, they get paid enough not to be so reluctant you'd think....running about again...another feigned injury...oh thank the Lord one of them has actually scored... final whistle blown, that's it then, thank goodness..."
 Match of the Day - CGNorwich
Yep you've definitely got the basics. For a masterclass watch:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBcuOnwaiLA

Doctor Who - Robin O'Reliant
New assistant's a bit fit, isn't she?

Nothing pervy mind, just an observation...

Doctor Who - -
Lovely looking girl, lovely voice too.

Doctor Who - Runfer D'Hills
I'm going to miss "Morgana" from Merlin. They killed her off last night. Jeez she's fit.

(I can't claim to be as honourable as RR I'm afraid...)

:-)

Doctor Who - Zero
As there is no more Merlin that wont be a problem.

Doctor Who - Runfer D'Hills
I saw him in Glastonbury last Thursday. Dog on a rope, bare feet, staff, long hair, beard, defo him...

Doctor Who - R.P.
Hey - Leave Perro out of this !

Doctor Who - Dog
We sat down and got all comfortable, like, to watch a film that I recorded called www.attacktheblock.com/

I gave it the elbow after 25 minutes as it wasn't my cup of tea but, the film was centred around the Brandon Estate in SE London which I know only too well.

My first experience of a very fast lift (as in elevator) was in one of the tower blocks on said estate

goo.gl/maps/upMDc

I was convinced the lift was faulty and out of control, so I actually got on the floor waiting for the impact!

I know these estates in East and South East London from having lived on one for 5 years in the 70's plus tuning cars for 14 years all over South & East London, the majority of people that lived there were basically good hard working types, let down by the minority of ne'er do wells.
Last edited by: Dog on Tue 25 Dec 12 at 21:36

Doctor Who - Armel Coussine
>> were basically good hard working types, let down by the minority of ne'er do wells.

That was my observation too Perro, from outside but quite acute in its way. I used to go all over the East End and other parts of London including those estates doing market research on people's buying and viewing habits and much else. But it must always have been a bit like that in all eras, the honest working people with a few toerags among them. It certainly is now.

But those honest old-style working class Londoners from a time before modern mass consciousness are fewer and harder to spot than they were a few years ago. They must have modern equivalents, fingers crossed, but they aren't as plainly on view to me as members of the generation before mine are (well, were mostly)...

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 25 Dec 12 at 21:56

Doctor Who - Dog
>>They must have modern equivalents, fingers crossed, but they aren't as plainly on view to me<<

It's surreal to 'walk about' down Walworth Rd. Westmoreland Rd etc. via Streetview (Arments Pie & Eel shop is still there.

I often wonder if I should have stayed there, part of me is still there really as in "you can take the boy out of London" etc. etc.

But I dare say if I did return now after 25 years, I'd soon realise just how much I've 'moved on' so to speak.

Doctor Who - VxFan
>> New assistant's a bit fit, isn't she?

Used to be the Vicars bisexual niece in Emmerdale, IIRC.

'Moon' (film) 10pm BBC2 - Focusless
I really enjoyed it (on DVD). Not an 'action' film.

www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/
Last edited by: Focusless on Sun 30 Dec 12 at 20:05

'Moon' (film) 10pm BBC2 - R.P.
It's a crackingly well made film - really enjoyed it.

'Moon' (film) 10pm BBC2 - Dog
No adverts either, I might give it a whirl Shirl (either that or Blade Runner in HD @ 11.30)

Royal Institute Christmas lectures 2012 - bathtub tom
I got hooked on these many years ago, but thought they'd become less interesting until this year.

Real whizz-bang experiments with lots of smoke and flames. That's more like it!

Anyone else see them?

James May - Flight Club. - R.P.
Surprised no-one mentioned this.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pmbmx/James_Mays_Toy_Stories_Flight_Club/

Very, very good programme. Especially the kid's comment towards the end.

James May - Flight Club. - Focusless
Yes, saw that and enjoyed it a lot; recommended.

Parking Enforcement Programme on TV tonight - Meldrew
BBC1 22.35 tonight. Programme including council attitudes on parking enforcement, harsh issue of PCNs and the appeal process. Features well known activist Barry Moss
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0139c23

Parking Enforcement Programme on TV tonight - madf
I would rather have a life than watch a program about parking

So thanks but no thanks...
Last edited by: madf on Tue 8 Jan 13 at 08:24

Parking Enforcement Programme on TV tonight - Meldrew
More relevant than watching rubbish dancing, cooking, quiz, home improvement shows. Each to their own!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Tue 8 Jan 13 at 08:44
 Parking Enforcement Programme on TV tonight - Manatee
>> I would rather have a life than watch a program about parking
>>
>> So thanks but no thanks...

So you won't be watching next week's programme on floor mats and mud flaps either?

Parking Enforcement Programme on TV tonight - CGNorwich
Strictly Come Parking could be the next big thing.

Parking Enforcement Programme on TV tonight - Old Navy
>> Strictly Come Parking could be the next big thing.
>>

Pat would win that, (but not in a car). :-)
 Stargazing Live - Runfer D'Hills
Brian Cox tonight. I like him, well as much as one can reasonably like a northern English person. Clever sort nonetheless. With Dara O'Brien ( Think that's how you spell it ) BBC2 8.00

:-)

Stargazing Live - Meldrew
The best thing about Brian Cox is that he isn't Neil Oliver!

Stargazing Live - Fenlander
>>>Brian Cox tonight. I like him

Hmm all the science girls love Brian. Eldest teen will be slobbering in front of the TV tonight. I may find prising her back from the screen a little easier when Brian May's hair causes hysterics.

Stargazing Live - Armel Coussine
>> all the science girls love Brian. Eldest teen will be slobbering in front of the TV tonight. I may find prising her back from the screen a little easier when Brian May's hair causes hysterics.

I saw the two Brians, May and Cox, in a group discussing astronomy and astrophysics the other day. There seemed to be a bit of needle between them, the scientist Cox furrowing his brow in a well-bred sort of way at some of the more age-of-Aquarius stuff coming from the perfectly agreeable amateur May.

I am with Cox on this basically, although there's nothing wrong with the other chap. Some rivalry perhaps over Patrick Moore's empty throne. Room for both there surely? Box and Cox so to speak.

Stargazing Live - R.P.
Brian May's hair causes hysterics.

Ha Ha - that was subject of some comment here as we watched as well. He seems to want to cuddle Badgers - no understanding of rural issues either as a townee.

Stargazing Live - Manatee
I will hear no criticism of Brian May since it emerged that he bought Patrick Moore's house for a generous valuation and rented it back to him for "one peppercorn per year, if demanded".

Battle for Malta. - R.P.
A proper documentary.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pvbl8/The_Battle_for_Malta/

Superb HD footage of a Spitfire rolling over modern day Valleta. Saw HMS Ocean in the Grand Harbour in 2001 - some very emotional Maltese welcoming the RN back I seem to recall. It was a sight to behold with the crew in their tropical kit lining the decks - something very special.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 12 Jan 13 at 15:35

BBC 4 NOW - sherlock47
British Sports cars post war - now on

worth watching.

British Sports cars post war - sherlock47
tinyurl.com/The-Golden-Age-of-the-British

IPlayer link - it has been shown before, but well worth watching.

The Filthy Fifth - - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pvbds/Tankies_Tank_Heroes_of_World_War_II_Episode_1/

Cracking programme - Mark Urban a worthy successor to Richard Holmes.
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 22 Jan 13 at 21:29

The Joy of Train Sets = BBC4 Tonight - Robin O'Reliant
Anyone into trains, real or modelled, should find this worth watching -

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01q9vhy
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Wed 23 Jan 13 at 19:02

Sci-Fi - Dog
= = = > www.radiotimes.com/film/9d88/source-code

^_^

Richard 3rd - bathtub tom
Did anyone else catch the last ten minutes of this morning's BBC R4 Today programme?

The Reduced Shakespeare Company did a rhyming account of the life of Richard 3rd.

Priceless and worth catching on i-player if you're into that sort of thing.

Richard 3rd - Focusless
Story of the finding of his skeleton in Leicester council car park tonight Channel 4 9pm:
www.radiotimes.com/episode/txm59/richard-iii-the-king-in-the-car-park

Richard 3rd - Duncan
>> Story of the finding of his skeleton in Leicester council car park tonight Channel 4
>> 9pm:
>> www.radiotimes.com/episode/txm59/richard-iii-the-king-in-the-car-park
>>

It has been confirmed that it is the skeleton of Richard III.

I had a hunch it would be!

Richard 3rd - bathtub tom
BBC R4 Today programme apologised for that joke around 8:30.

Richard 3rd - Duncan
Nothing wrong with jokes being recycled. ;-)

Latest Forum Posts