Non-motoring > Pressure treated wood Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 37

Pressure treated wood - Robin O'Reliant
Does it need some gunge on it to preserve it, or can it go up naked? I'm talking fence panels here.
 Pressure treated wood - Fenlander
In truth folks mostly treat fences to get the colour/shade they want. Pressure treated will be fine for several years before it "needs" treating. Most wood these days, even pressure treated, is very wet bought new so not an ideal time of year to treat unless you can dry it in the garage for a couple of weeks before treating.
 Pressure treated wood - Zero
Leave it up for two summers to shrink and dry out, then treat it - the stuff will get in all the opened up bits.
 Pressure treated wood - Robin O'Reliant
Cheers, that's an easier job tomorrow then.
 Pressure treated wood - Fullchat
This is what I went for which was recommended in the thread.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=11963
 Pressure treated wood - -
Treated ourselves to a new pressure treated shed before the old one fell completely down, twas only the door holding it squarish.

SWMBO nipped to Travis Perkins, she came back with real honest to goodness creosote, the smell of which took me back to another lifetime, my old dad doing his stuff in the potting sheds, me a small boy getting up to mischief, and the constant smell of creosote hanging about.

Still among the best stuff for sploshing on exposed outside wood, the new shed soaked it up at a rate of knots.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 23 Nov 12 at 18:11
 Pressure treated wood - Armel Coussine
>> Travis Perkins, she came back with real honest to goodness creosote,

Are you sure gb? Last time I tried to get it I was told it had been banned, and that was years ago. Perhaps it has been unbanned by popular demand.

When you could still get it, splashed some in my eye once. That was no joke. Spent about 20 minutes running the open eye under the tap.
 Pressure treated wood - henry k
>>Are you sure gb? Last time I tried to get it I was told it had been banned, and that was years ago. Perhaps it has been unbanned by popular demand.

The WORD!
www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm

Creosote/coal tar creosote wood preservatives
Creosote and the Biocidal Products Directive
 Pressure treated wood - sherlock47
I too thought that it was no longereavailable, surprised to find all the ansers here
www.creosote.co.uk/

To put it briefly commercial use only is permitted.

If you Google further to look at the health risks, it is easy to see why it was banned for DIY use.
...before the old one fell completely down, twas only the door holding it squarish.

My old shed started to change shape as the timbers aged.
Sheet of three ply screwed on the inside was a cheap way of insisting it kept in shape. Simples !
I inherited the basic shed nearly 35 years ago from the previous house owner.
Many years of life left after several cheap re felts of the roof.
 Pressure treated wood - Zero

>> Many years of life left after several cheap re felts of the roof.

had to re-roof the shed today after the gales ripped it off yesterday. Found out why, the roof is as rotten as a pear and the nails had just lifted out.

Bodged it for now, but a new shed come spring I think. Still not done too badly its over 20 years old and been dismantled and moved a fair few times.
I'll pop out in the morning and have a look what it says on the gallon drum, smells like creosote, goes on like creosote, i reckon its creosote by nature if not name.

Maybe trade use only, in which case should anyone official turn up we're off...'you won't take me alive copper' echoing from the surrounding hills.
 Pressure treated wood - madf
Our next door neighbours - our ONLY adjacent neighbours - installed new pressure treated fence panels . At the same time we replaced two out of our 4 panels. (they had some 26 separating our garden from theirs)

That was 15 years ago.

I treated our with old engine oil and a creosote substitute.. and did so again about 6 years ago.

Ours are still sound.

The new neighbours are just about to replace all their 26 panels which have largely collapsed - some 5 years ago - before they moved in....

It's a good job we get on...:-)

(We plan for the long term... decades.. Only another 2 and it's half a century in the house)
Last edited by: madf on Fri 23 Nov 12 at 18:42
 Pressure treated wood - Rudedog
If you can, try and buy good quality exterior wood that's been pressure treated, if done correctly then it should come with a 25 year guarantee, usually a good sign is if it's green all the way through when cut, I've used Jacksons Fencing (est 65 years) when I rebuilt my veranda + fences (recommend by my Dad).
 Pressure treated wood - Dave
2 types of pressure treated timber here - A and AB. A is guaranteed for 10 years outside, AB for 10 years in constant contact with ground and water.
 Pressure treated wood - MD
I think you will find that none will last as long as that now due to A. The quality of the timber and B. The treatment used now has had the effective, but dangerous elements removed. Also any treated timber that has been cut needs to be re-treated. It doesn't penetrate to the core.
 Pressure treated wood - corax
>> I inherited the basic shed nearly 35 years ago from the previous house owner.
>> Many years of life left after several cheap re felts of the roof.

I use garage felt for my sheds. 10 year guarantee and nice and thick. the economy stuff rips easily and blows away in the wind, false economy.
 Pressure treated wood - Cliff Pope
There's treated, and there's treated.
A telegraph pole or railway sleeper will stand 50 years half in the ground.
But I don't believe the "treatment" accorded a B&Q fence panel is in the same league.

What does "pressure treated" mean ? That it's had a pump-up sprayer waved over it, or been put in a high-pressure chamber to force the preservative deep into the wood?
 Pressure treated wood - corax
>> There's treated, and there's treated.
>> A telegraph pole or railway sleeper will stand 50 years half in the ground.

The smell of a railway sleeper soaked in years of gunge from old loco's. Wonderful :)
 Pressure treated wood - Dutchie
Hardwood post are the best not sure if they are still for sale.
 Pressure treated wood - CGNorwich
Oak fencing posts are still available. Cost a bit more but well worth it. Will outlast any softwood posts however treated by a factor of ten. In my opinion painting your fence with wood preservative creosote or sump oil is a complete waste of time for anything other than cosmetic appearance. Wooden fences that do not touch the ground do not rot. Use a gravel board Fence posts above the ground do not rot. Use either oak or concrete posts or metposts .
>> metposts .
>>
Not always good in the long term. The post rots out in the socket.
But easy to replace. A lot easier that digging out a softwood post embedded in a couple of hundredweight of concrete!
 Pressure treated wood - Clk Sec
>> But easy to replace. A lot easier that digging out a softwood post embedded in
>> a couple of hundredweight of concrete!

Too true. They're ideal for repairs. I've used them a number of times over the years.

I've used both concrete post and metpost.The metpost have been in the ground for more than ten years.I tend to agree about the cosmetic Norwich.Chap across from me has a carport made of wooden post,never been treated for twenty years still standing.
>>Wooden fences that do not touch the ground do not rot.
>> Use a gravel board Fence posts above the ground do not rot
>>
My fence was installed by the previous owners over 30 years ago.
Concrete posts with 4 x 2 timbers bolted on each side. Then arris rails and feather edged boards / gravel boards.
I have just replaced all the gravel boards. Not all were shot.
In doing so I have had to add 4 x 2 to the bottom of the posts ( due to rot) to accept the gravel boards.A really fiddly task!
I could not find gravel boards long enough. They were an inch or too short ( metrication I guess)
I have also had to splice in sections of arris rail.
What was NOT done to the original installation? No post caps and no capping to the feather edge then no guesses as to where the other damage has happened.
Do add these cheap replaceable parts of a good fence.
Try and find a supplier for French oak sleepers approx' 10" x 5". Depending on the fence post requirement and whether you can find a mill to 'half' them. I used to pay about £23.00. each plus vat. OK if one is going to stay in the property forever.
In the long run we are all dead Martin what is forever.>:)
 Pressure treated wood - devonite
>>A telegraph pole or railway sleeper will stand 50 years half in the ground.

The real preservative in Telegraph poles (usually Scots Pine) is the Natural resins already in the wood, the Creosote/Tar mix applied externally does help a bit tho`
 Pressure treated wood - bathtub tom
>>The real preservative in Telegraph poles (usually Scots Pine) is the Natural resins already in the wood, the Creosote/Tar mix applied externally does help a bit tho`

Have you ever seen a section cut through an old telegraph pole? The way they're treated drives the preservative deep, although it may not be the case with modern stuff.

>> Have you ever seen a section cut through an old telegraph pole? The way they're
>> treated drives the preservative deep, although it may not be the case with modern stuff.
>>

Yes - just try burning them on an open fire !
 Pressure treated wood - Rudedog
From what I've been told by my Dad who worked on the roads back in his youth, telegraph poles were placed in vast vats of treatment solution then left to soak for a number of years, the poles were literally pickled, there were many roadside depots around here in Kent that held all of the tarmac, chippings and sand that was needed including these vats.
 Pressure treated wood - VxFan
>> What does "pressure treated" mean ? That it's had a pump-up sprayer waved over it,
>> or been put in a high-pressure chamber to force the preservative deep into the wood?

The latter, from what I've seen on DIY shows on TV.

"or been put in a high-pressure chamber to force the preservative deep into the wood?"

Basically yes although in one process the air is evacuated from the chamber first before the preservative is added .
I have had, or rather my colleague has had, problems with evacuated air today. Always upwind me.
As mentioned earlier, that oil based stuff i got from Travis' is called Creocote.

Just given the shed its last coat and i stink of the stuff.
 Pressure treated wood - sherlock47
From the manufacturers site

Traditional Creosote was withdrawn from sale to the general public in 2003. Due to continued demand, Bartoline was instrumental in the development of Creosote Substitute, a preparation comprising of petroleum distillates and synthetically manufactured substitutes.

As from the 1st February 2009, Creosote Substitute has been withdrawn from sale however Bartoline has introduced an alternative non-biocidal product Creocote Oil Based Timber Treatment.

The result is a highly effective oil based wood treatment, which provides excellent surface water repellence and restricts weather damage. The product improves grain definition and exhibits the characteristic odour familiar to traditional Creosote users.

Bartoline Creocote applies exactly like its predecessors, and can be used by the general public as well as trade persons. Brushes may be cleaned using Bartoline White Spirit

So all the good bids have been taken out? But they have managed to retain smell:)
Last edited by: pmh on Sun 25 Nov 12 at 21:28
You can still buy traditional creosote, "for commercial purposes":

eg
www.creosotesales.co.uk/
just the first of dozens of Google hits.

There is no problem* if you are a farm, smallholding, or have a rural address, they accept your order without any question.

* Except of course that it is highly carcinogenic, so you don't want to get covered in the stuff.
Latest Forum Posts