Non-motoring > Justin Welby Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 6

Justin Welby - MD
From this mornings DT. Quite interesting.

click.email.telegraph.co.uk/?qs=22493550558e5b908ca8bebb1196aa7c26e1fb94ef4c708cabab24c647eca9de41cee3d9d5b812de
 Justin Welby - -
Interesting stuff, however all families indeed all people have faults, i wouldn't be confirming anything should it have been my father.

Suppose those who sell stroies digging for juice about your past is what happens when you become famous.
 Justin Welby - Zero
Not sure there is much to be dug up there. Not exactly shocking is it.
 Justin Welby - Slidingpillar
And the other point is, by treating it as one of those things and giving information, Justin has put a stop to press stories on the issue. Astute move in my book.
 Justin Welby - Armel Coussine
Both the outgoing intellectual and the incoming former oil trader have let it be known that they were in favour of the ordination of women as bishops. But these canny men have steered clear of deep involvement in the arguments for and against. That must be because the main arguments on both sides are intellectually despicable.

The main argument for women bishops seems to be that everyone wants them, a form of reasoning that should arouse profound suspicion. Some even go so far as to say that the head of the C of E is a woman, so it's unfair to deny women the right to be bishops. These people just don't understand that a monarch is a genderless, cold, glittering monstrosity on which that other monstrosity, the State, is symbolically centred. The human personality of the individual concerned is not involved in any way.

The arguments against ordination are every bit as stupid. Anachronistic thinking abounds on both sides.

My own view is that it's a mistake to overmodernise something essentially irrational like a church. Religions have to keep in touch with the times - look at the pickle Islam is getting into with its rigid unchanging mediaeval leanings - but need to drag their feet decently. If they don't they risk losing believers, who really don't want or need to know too much. Coping simultaneously with reason and unreason takes a certain sophistication. The C of E needs to stay in about the 18th century for the time being. Keep a bit of mystery alive.

When I said this to herself she asked if I was thinking of joining the C of E to spread my views. Alas, I lack the comfort of religious belief, but I do regard the C of E as an important institution that shouldn't just be thrown away. All sorts of people are in on the act with their silly little playground reasoning, rolling the church in the mud.

And what on earth is the Pope up to, telling everyone within weeks of Christmas not only that the date of Christmas is wildly out but that the ox and the ass, even the stable, are just mythology? The old curmudgeon will be telling us there's no Father Christmas next.

I don't know what the world's coming to, I really don't.
 Justin Welby - car4play
>> The arguments against ordination are every bit as stupid

Logically, from the point of view of the religion, they would seem to have more standing.

A faith position isn't set by cultural norms but by a value system that is outside of this. In Christianity this should be the biblical viewpoint - no matter how apparently un-cultural.

The alternative has no distinctive in society and as Jesus said "fit to be trampled on". (Mat 5:13)
 Justin Welby - MD
I'm an Agnostic thank God.
Latest Forum Posts