Non-motoring > Human MOT - every 65 years. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: madf Replies: 28

Human MOT - every 65 years. - madf
Well as I officially became an OAP last months so I received an NHS letter asking me to make an appointment at our local doctor's surgery to have a variety of tests due to my age.So I rang them up the morning I received it, had an appointment for 4pm that day and had it carried out there and then. (A week ago)

So they:
. Checked my blood pressure
. Took my pulse
. Took a blood sample to check my liver/cholesterol/alcohol level:-)
. Weighed me (clothed with shoes) and calculated my BMI
. Measured my waist
. Asked about my diet - 5 a day/roughage etc.
. Asked about my exercise levels
. Asked about my alcohol intake
. Asked about my general wellbeing/happiness/worry levels.

Passed :
except my blood pressure had risen sharply since my last test in 2005 (could be white coat syndrome) - so I went this am to have an Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitor fitted today which is strapped round my arm and connected to a device at my waist. Every 30 minutes it beeps, tightens the collar round my arm and takes my blood pressure. I record what I was doing at the time on a sheet of paper. Take it off at night and hand it in next day - tomorrow. Update to PC: instant check.

Cholesterol levels etc all Ok - slightly raised but I had not fasted for 12 hours before so perfectly acceptable.

Very impressed with speed of service and ease of system. No hassle at all. (But then I am in splendid condition for a man of 85:-)

Last edited by: madf on Mon 26 Nov 12 at 09:53
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - henry k
>>Weighed me (clothed with shoes) and calculated my BMI
>>
The one size fits all approach.
I suspect my BMI is worse than the standard method indicates.
Many moons ago I saw three tables to calculate the value. Which table applied depended on the size of your wrist i.e taking into account your bone size.
I guess this simple assessment of your frame is too complex and time consuming.
Meanwhile I need to loose ( a little ) weight.
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - Dog
>>Human MOT - every 65 years<<

So you'll be about 130 when your next one is due then mad f.

:}
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - TeeCee
>> >>Human MOT - every 65 years<<
>>
>> So you'll be about 130 when your next one is due then mad f.
>>
>> :}
>>

Hardly seems worth bothering, must be out of warranty by now anyway.......;-)
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - bathtub tom
I trod on a rusty nail earlier this year, that entailed a visit to the surgery for a tetanus shot. GP remarked I hadn't been seen for a while (yes I've been ill, I said - some people have no sense of humour), step on those scales, how tall are you? BP low, borderline obese. Sent for a starvation blood test.

GP 'phoned next morning, now that does make you think you're ill. Sugar level a little high, six point something. Insulin dependant BIL gave me a test a couple of days later - 5.2. Good news was low cholesterol, so I told SWMBO I still need the fry-ups to up it!
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - sherlock47
This good service from your GP is not about their personal concern for your individual health, merely that they have adopted a bonus driven culture. More tested = more money. I wonder if, once thay have made a target, they stop indulging in random tests that come from their budgets:)
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - Bromptonaut
That may well be right pmh but the incentive to fulfill a target for 'man MOT' tests was driven by people presenting with health conditions that should have had earlier attention.

I was called in after registering with practice when we moved in 1990. All clear and in my thirties there was no recall until quite recently. No doubt if anything had shown up then they'd have had me on a shorter review.

My injuries after the excursion from the bike in July raised doubts about by bone density and I'm now on recall anually for VitD/calcium monitoring and bone density scans.
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - NortonES2
Had to go for appointment at local hospital. Nurse was most surprised, and a little put out, when I politely declined the BP test. I did explain I had recently had an ambulatory check which showed all OK. Flouncing occurred, followed by muttering with colleague:) I really think it's more than a waste of time, when the results often are raised, for several reasons. Isn't ambulatory now the standard? Maybe there is another reason for these "snapshot" checks, but I can't quite work out what benefit they bring.
Last edited by: NIL on Mon 26 Nov 12 at 14:34
My ambulatory test should give interesting results. tests every 30 miles mins and I have to note what I was doing..

Painting, sawing, screwing, walking. driving, cleaning - some of the entries for today.. Wonder what my BP will be? Am I bovvered? Not really. No symptoms of high BP...
Last edited by: madf on Mon 26 Nov 12 at 14:51
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - Dog
>>Painting, sawing, screwing<<

I aint saying nuffink!

:+)
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - Pat
>>No symptoms of high BP...<<

There are no symptoms, that's why you need to be checked.

Pat
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - henry k
>> >>No symptoms of high BP...<<
>>
>> There are no symptoms, that's why you need to be checked.
>>
That is why it is is often called a ‘silent disease’ because you usually don't know you have it.
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - CGNorwich
" because you usually don't know you have it."

Until you have a stroke
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - Clk Sec
>> " because you usually don't know you have it."
>> Until you have a stroke
>>

And then it can become the silent killer.
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - Manatee
And what exactly is the point of going to a hospital if you are going to refuse to let them take basic measurements? I'm intrigued. It's not as if you went with a cut finger and they produced the sigmoidoscope, presumably?

Or was your appointment to mend their central heating?
No doubt fear of a colonoscopy :-)
I'm assuming the question was to me. I explained why I didn't wish to have a BP test above. It was the only one they wished to do. I wasn't there to be examined merely to get some results.
Last edited by: NIL on Mon 26 Nov 12 at 16:17
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - Manatee
>> I'm assuming the question was to me. I explained why I didn't wish to have
>> a BP test above. It was the only one they wished to do. I wasn't
>> there to be examined merely to get some results.

Mysteriouser and mysteriouser. Perhaps the tests suggested you were about to burst a blood vessel or something. Clearly you didn't ;-)
Appointment not related to tests on BP. My BP tests (ambulatory) were fine, not done at the hospital, but through my GP. I explained that to the nurse. But the issue was: why take inaccurate white-coat syndrome BP tests for the sake of it? It isn't useful, except as a sort of triage and I'd been through that already. The 24 hour test gives a far more valid picture. That's all I wanted to suggest.
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - Lygonos
White coat hypertension is associated with a higher risk of BP-related disease.

Even if your BP is usually 130/80 when sitting watching the telly, if it's 230/180 while a surgeon pokes 5 feet of hose up your bottom I think the surgeon might just want to know about it.
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - devonite
Whilst we are on stuff medicalis, Lygonos, Whats the hoo-ha of having a Protein Creatinine Ratio of 309?
raised protein/albumin:creatinine ratio can mean the kidneys are letting protein through rather than keeping it in the bloodstream.

This can be an indicator of developing kidney disease (eg. diabetic nephropathy) and is a great reason to keep the BP down, especially using a XXX-pril or XXX-sartan BP drug.

*disclaimer* - other causes of protein in the pee-pee exist
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - devonite
Hmmm! - thanks!
It's raised, not stratospheric. Anyway, the GP knows about it, it's in the notes, and it's old news. It isn't necessary for nurses to take redundant BP tests ad lib. Just because I step into the department is no reason to waste time on unnecessary tests.
Lots of my patients seem to know more about medicine than me.

Beats me why they even bother to come in the first place ;-)

However, ever the cynic, finding a spuriously raised BP reading is a great way to pop someone to the back of the waiting list queue again to help those all-important figures

:-)
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - Cliff Pope
>>
>> . Weighed me (clothed with shoes)
>>
>>

That's because the tester is not allowed to remove coverings or access panels.
>> >>
>> >> . Weighed me (clothed with shoes)
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>> That's because the tester is not allowed to remove coverings or access panels.
>>

Maybe it's because she was a blonde?
 Human MOT - every 65 years. - Ted

I started getting called in for various checks when I got to 65. My BP has been fine for years but I was very grateful to be called for an Aortic aneurism check cos that's what made me ole mam ' throw a seven ' 15 yrs ago when her's started dissecting. Mind you, she was a heavy smoker since the Hitler war.

A simple test, I had a trainee lass do mine, under supervision, which gave me the excuse for a little light banter and cheeking.

She said my aorta was perfect...so that's one thing out of the way, phew.

Eye hospital this evening for my third Avastin injection into the left eye. Hopefully that's the last. I'm getting used to the procedure now, in fact the hardest part is actually climbing onto the operating table !

Ted
 Human MOT - every 65 years. Update - madf
Walked to surgery this am, monitor plugged into PC, nice graph of the 26 readings taken and average shown.

Result: I suffer from white coat syndrome.

For interest I show the readings:

2005 134/76

2012 1st 144/100
2012 2nd 131/71 (average reading)

Despite my painting sawing and screwing yesterday my BP hardly varied at all.
Last edited by: madf on Tue 27 Nov 12 at 09:15
Latest Forum Posts