Non-motoring > BBC news today Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 47

BBC news today - MD
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-20500779

My opinion? They should go to prison for a very long time.
 BBC news today - Westpig
The usual scum, this country has loads of them.

Luckily, they are still in the minority, but our sentencing policies don't do much to keep it that way.
 BBC news today - Armel Coussine
A couple of hopeless tenth-rate wimps.
 BBC news today - Duncan
The way the report reads, the 17 year old who died was the one who originally stole the van.

The two who escaped were not the original thieves of the van, but had joined Piggott in his venture.
 BBC news today - Armel Coussine
>> the 17 year old who died was the one who originally stole the van.

Age given as 14 in the report I saw.

Two older boys, young men in years at least, willing to enjoy this little hellion's mischief, but lacking the courage and ability to even try to rescue him? Wimps.
 BBC news today - Duncan
>> >> the 17 year old who died was the one who originally stole the van.
>>
>> Age given as 14 in the report I saw.
>>

Quite right. My mistake.
 BBC news today - MD
What bleeding heart Liberal gave me the scowly then. Get a life.
 BBC news today - No FM2R
>>What bleeding heart Liberal gave me the scowly then. Get a life.

I couldn't agree more. For goodness sakes, they're supposed to indicate something that one finds to be offensive, not something one disagrees with but doesn't have the balls to argue with.

I haven't seen anything offensive in here. Yet these damned frowny faces are put on everything. Change the software so it shows the username and watch it stop.
 BBC news today - madf
Darwinism in action.
 BBC news today - Cliff Pope
>> Darwinism in action.
>>

How so? The result of this incident will be that the boy's genes have been eliminated, but the two others will be free in due course to breed and perpetuate.

Is that the point of Darwinism - to gradually contaminate the gene pool with scum?
 BBC news today - Westpig
>> I haven't seen anything offensive in here. Yet these damned frowny faces are put on
>> everything. Change the software so it shows the username and watch it stop.
>>
We need a thumbs down button. I sometimes use a frowny to indicate the opposite to the green thumb, because I think someone has written something that I think is ricidoodleus. I cannot remember when I thought something was truly offensive, yet do use the offensive button.
 BBC news today - madf
>> What bleeding heart Liberal gave me the scowly then. Get a life.
>>

No . The person who gave you a scowly is in favour of teenage criminals being feted as heroes.
 BBC news today - Manatee
>> What bleeding heart Liberal gave me the scowly then. Get a life.
>>

I've given you a face for calling somebody a bleeding heart liberal.

Just to show what it's for you understand.

I don't do 'em unless I own up. If they get attributed it'll save me a job and I might do a few more ;-)
 BBC news today - Zero
>> I've given you a face for calling somebody a bleeding heart liberal.
>>
>> Just to show what it's for you understand.

I gave you one, just because i could.

Its not as tho I don't have a drawer full of the things.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 27 Nov 12 at 18:39
 BBC news today - No FM2R
ooo, turns out if you thumbs up you can't frown. But if you frown, you can still thumbs up.
 BBC news today - Zero
Oh yes - sew yew can
 BBC news today - legacylad
MD
I strongly object to your way of thinking that these people should be locked up for a long time. Think how much it costs us British taxpayers. It is not the solution.

The consensus of opinion in my local pub would be rather more radical. Goodbye & good riddance.
 BBC news today - MD
See below.
 BBC news today - MD
Best some of you went back to work. Too much time on your hands.

The kids were/are Wimps. Car thieves one and all. Low life scum who we don't need. I have no sympathy. I have no sympathy for them whether they only have one parent. Whether they are undernourished. Whether they have mental health problems. I don't bleeding care. Also I don't care who instigated it (the theft) but the two that allowed their Mate (sic) to drown also deserve to die, preferably rather horribly. Two wrongs do not and have never made a right, but the spineless souls featured here..................we do not need.

As a slight aside I am sick to death of working to support Plebs born into poverty and forever poncing from the Middle ground of reasonably normal hard working and compliant folk.
dear MD

Would you like to become a 'country member' of our discussion group in my local? Despite you not being a Yorkshireman I am sure you would fit right in and be accepted. Even with our short arms and deep pockets we would buy you your first pint.
 BBC news today - MD
Just the One?
The log fire is free! As are the papers.
 BBC news today - MD
On my way. I am going to walk though as the Pajero has entered 17.9 MPG territory. Huh! and there was me thinking that I could improve on the first tankful at 21.6. Doh!!
 BBC news today - Westpig
>> On my way. I am going to walk though as the Pajero has entered 17.9
>> MPG territory. Huh! and there was me thinking that I could improve on the first
>> tankful at 21.6. Doh!!

Just to cheer you up...I don't use my old Jag much now....and when I do it's short journeys only. 14.9 territory on the trip. Now that is a 'yikes'. I got 15.5 on a stop/start commute in London.
 BBC news today - PhilW
"Just the One? "
Obviously! You can only have one "first pint" - but you can bet it would be "your round" next!
P.S. I'm from Yorkshire!
 BBC news today - MD
I know lots of Yorkshire folk then. They seem to be everywhere! (0:-:0)
 BBC news today - MD
I had a customer here in Devon. He was a Lancastrian and he thought he was a bit of a comedian. Calling him Yorkie soon had him whistling a different tune. None too pleased was he.
 BBC news today - Bromptonaut
>> "Just the One? "
>> Obviously! You can only have one "first pint" - but you can bet it would
>> be "your round" next!
>> P.S. I'm from Yorkshire!

+1

And I'm a Yorkie too
 BBC news today - Dutchie
Hull brewey used to make a good pint closed down donky years ago.Best pint a good quality bitter should be clear as glass.
 BBC news today - PhilW
"Hull brewey used to make a good pint closed down donky years ago."

There were a few like that - "Roses beers" brewed in Malton, taken over by Tetley's on the promise that "Roses" would always remain - lasted about a year or so.
Does Camerons still exist?(Hartlepool, I think?) In my youth we used to reckon that Cameron's was best when it smelled like pigstuff - but it tasted great!!
Seemed to be loads of local brews way back when, but you really have to look for them now. But they are coming back and worth the look. Please don't mention Red Barrel or DD!
Do like Everards (Leics) though. Marstons does awful gassy things to my insides (so wife says!!) but is tasty.
Cameron's going strong

www.cameronsbrewery.com/

Their keg stuff was served in the Cinderella Rockerfella's type 'night clubs' of my youth.

Samuel Smith's was and remains my favourite trad brew.
 BBC news today - PhilW
"Samuel Smith's was and remains my favourite trad brew."
Good one - Taddy Ales
And I remember John Smith's as good when well kept (and not this "smooth" stuff you get nowadays)
I struggle to remember John Smith's as anything other than keg beer in my own (drinking) lifetime. I do however recall pubs from my childhood with John Smith's 'Magnet Ales' signboards outside.

Bentley's brewery in Woodlesford is another childhood memory. Used to be allowed to go with my Uncle to collect the bread order from the village bakery. IIRC the brewers name was in neon lights down the chimney as the word Wilson was at the Silver Cross factory in our home village of Guiseley.
 BBC news today - Manatee
I've been applying myself to this subject for about 43 years and I don't remember John Smiths ever being remarkable in a good way.

I like Sam's though. Don't get much round here, barring the Cheshire Cheese when in London which I think they own?
 BBC news today - PhilW
"I don't remember John Smiths ever being remarkable in a good way."

You may well be right M - I just remember drinking it in uncle's pub in Yorkshire Dales - prob tasted good because it was free!
Also had an uncle who had pub in Hanley, Stoke on Trent. It was opposite a big pottery and men used to come out of pottery after working at kilns , go into pub, have 2 or 3 pints to quench thirst, go home for tea then come back to pub for a proper drink (or several!) later. I think he sold Bass and Worthington which also tasted good to me in '60s. Mind you, as a youth, any beer tasted good to me (especially if free!!)
Uncle opposite pottery was not lacking a penny or two!! Real spit and sawdust place I seem to remember, but a little goldmine! I visited several times but never got a free beer from him even though he was not a Yorkshireman.

Phil,

The Potteries place sounds similar in some ways to 'The Jolly Potters' in Hartshill. That was Bass too. Not a pub with a taproom and lounge just a bar and several rooms.

Mrs B's parents used to go there for a couple of pints of a night. Quite a crowd of regulars including a guy called Eric who sometimes busked his clarinet in Hanley and once did the London Marathon playing the thing the whole way round. Another bloke called John who could have talked cycling all night.

Pubs like that don't seem to exist anymore.
 BBC news today - Alanovich
>> I like Sam's though. Don't get much round here, barring the Cheshire Cheese when in
>> London which I think they own?
>>

Apart from the Cheshire Cheese, you can also get Sam Smith's in that London in The Chandos (Trafalgar Square) and The Cittie of York (Holborn, one of my favourite boozers in the world). There are a few others, but their names escape me at the moment. The Princess Louise, perhaps?
 BBC news today - Cockle
Lyceum Tavern at 354 The Strand is also a Sam Smith's house, very handy for a decent pint pre-theatre when at that end of theatreland.....
 BBC news today - Dutchie
Daughter studied in Leeds bustling town good night live.Tetley bitter excellent beer don't excist anymore I believe.
>> Daughter studied in Leeds bustling town good night live.Tetley bitter excellent beer don't excist anymore
>> I believe.

Tets still exists but the Leeds brewery site by the river was sold for 'redevelopment'. The beer is now manufactured a few miles up the road at the Carlsberg factory in Northampton.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 27 Nov 12 at 22:04
 BBC news today - Manatee
Oh dear, those evening sessions in the Coburg...
 BBC news today - Dutchie
Joburg>:)
I still enjoy the odd session in Leeds....Scarboro Taps, Whitelocks amongst others.
And a train home to t'Dales.
 BBC news today - Westpig
I'm a lager man nowadays, although I did go through a real ale phase in my life.

An ex-girlfriend threatened to leave me once, during my real ale phase, because she couldn't stand my nocturnal stomach difficulties. Before I booked my appointment with the GP I swapped from Ruddles County to something else...and miraculously the troubles went away.

A mate still ribs me about it some 20 years later.
 BBC news today - rtj70
>> An ex-girlfriend threatened to leave me once, during my real ale phase, because ....

So she's still an ex then ;-)
 BBC news today - Pezzer
blimey Ruddles County that takes me back ....................... didnt they also sell it in bottles with an unusual ring pull lid ?
 BBC news today - Bigtee
Greek st in Leeds more up market than those pubs...........:-)

Rather go to local and to club on Saturday night and get wasted cheaply!!
 BBC news today - Manatee
When I worked in Greek Street in Leeds there was nothing down there except offices, a sandwich kiosk, and an Italian restaurant.

The Coburg turned into an "Irish" themed bar years ago, which was really funny as it was an "Irish" pub anyway - a fairly normal Tetley's pub but with a lot of Brendan Shine on the juke box.

The Wrens, the Adelphi, the Town Hall Tavern (now an "ecelectic gastropub" - yuk), and the Garden Gate in Hunslet were other haunts.

The Garden Gate was nearly demolished in the 70s. Everything around it was. I think the Victorian Society saved it, and it became a Tetley Heritage pub. Incredible place with a tiled exterior, fully tiled tap room with a magnificent bar in it, traditional corridor with rooms off.

Looking at this blog, it seems it nearly disappeared again in 2010.

goodpeopleeats.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/garden-gate-hunslet-leeds.html

Latest Forum Posts