Non-motoring > Disaster! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 21

Disaster! - Zero
Read it and weep Mark, Gin Distillery on fire!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-20495938
 Disaster! - No FM2R
Oh that's just not right.

I better see if I can lower the stocks of the world's distilleries to try and mitigate the potential impact ofany future fires.

I'm thinking of trying to adopt the "camel approach".
 Disaster! - bathtub tom
Was it a Gin distillery? I thought it was industrial alcohol.
 Disaster! - Bromptonaut
>> Was it a Gin distillery? I thought it was industrial alcohol.

I thought that too but googling the company mentioned on BBC says Langley is a Gin distillery.
 Disaster! - Manatee
Gin is industrial alcohol more or less, before it gets the flavourings, sorry, botanicals and aromatics.

I recall being told this on a visit to Grants at Girvan (now shut I think) where the gin was produced next to the hair lacquer.

Alcohols Ltd - www.alcohols.co.uk/gin_distillation.php

Disaster! - Dog
>>Alcohols Ltd - www.alcohols.co.uk/gin_distillation.php<<

Blimey! - sounds like an elf drink (apart from the alcohol)
 Disaster! - Manatee
I did wonder if they produced Bombay Sapphire for Bacardi at Alcohols Limited but apparently not, it comes from Greenall's in Warrington. They (Bacardi) are going to build their own distillery for it in Essex. It has the image of an "old" brand but was only launched in 1987.

Tanqueray London Dry Gin is produced in Fife by Diageo, using the same base spirit as Smirnoff. Gordons is also made there.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 27 Nov 12 at 12:23
 Disaster! - WillDeBeest
Please excuse my callousness if you live in the Black Country but phew, it's Langley Green. After last night's shenanigans on the M4, a big fire in Langley is the last thing I need on my way home tonight.
 Disaster! - Alanovich
Oh dear, WDB. Did you get caught in that? I was moments from joining the party at J10 when I heard about it, so took the Winnersh turn from the A3290 and went round Lower Early Way, on a drive from Sonning to Shinfield (avoiding the signalling works at Three Tuns at the moment is sending me on all sorts of elaborate detours). Where were the potholes exactly? How long were you stuck?

I'd have been in huge lumber if I'd got stuck as I was heading to pick my children up from school, and with Mrs A in Hellstinki, Finland this week, I didn't have a back up collection plan for them.
 Disaster! - Zero
wot did i miss?
 Disaster! - Alanovich
2 chuffing great potholes appeared on the M4 westbound between Maidenhead and Reading, meaning they had to close two lanes for immediate repairs (was just after J10 I think). Was closed right through rush hour, BBC Berkshire was taking calls from people saying they had been stuck for upwards of three hours. I'm guessing that WDB was in the conga of joy. Re-opened about 6.30 I understand. Queues from J10 back to J5 by all accounts.
 Disaster! - WillDeBeest
Yep, my 25-mile drive home usually takes 30-45 min, and includes the stretch of M4 from J4 to J8/9. I left work at 1830, got home at 2050. Not only was the M4 crawling - although notionally open by then - but BBC Berkshire was reporting that the A404(M) was closed by a car fire. I opted to exit at J7 - forgetting that the A4 had gas main works at Taplow and wasn't up to normal traffic, never mind refugees from the motorway. Bother.

The fuel computer in the LEC resets itself for each trip. On a normal motorway trundle it usually reads somewhere in the low 40s but by the time I reached Maidenhead it was showing 19. And I know it habitually overreads!
 Disaster! - mikeyb
Ahhhhh. Drove back from Heathrow last night and thought that M4 was quiet and wondered what all the odd bits of roadworks / lane reductions were about. It looked all a bit "impromptu"
 Disaster! - Dutchie
Dutch Gin.Genever the best to buy is Bokma old Genever made in Schiedam small town just outside Rotterdam.I've drank Gin not bad.
 Disaster! - Arctophile
New Bombay Sapphire gin distillery now under construction here in Hampshire, just down the road from Jody Sheckter's place.

They are expecting 100,000 people a year to the associated visitor centre.

www.laverstokemill.co.uk/
 Disaster! - Manatee
Did I say Essex? I meant Hampshire. The Gordons distillery that closed was in Essex.
 Disaster! - Roger.
We used to buy litre bottles of Sapphire & Tanqueray in Morrisons's, Gibraltar. Often ridiculously cheap. If not on offer there, the shops in Main Street were usually reasonable.
Now - we buy Aldi's London Gin!
 Disaster! - WillDeBeest
...and hang out with the UK Isolation Party. Probably hard to do one without the other.
 Disaster! - Cliff Pope
A few weeks ago rummaging through a skip, as one does, I found two full bottles of gin.
An original frosted glass Gordans, and a Gilbeys. Both were full, with seals unbroken, the Gordan's marked 1953 Coronation.

I don't know what to do now - try and sell them, drink them, or just put them on a shelf and look at them?
That's the dilema with collecting things.
 Disaster! - devonite
I saw a green Gin bottle recently that had obviously been in a fire, it was all melted and flat across the middle! - Some bod was trying to sell it at a car- boot, suppose it would have made a "talking-point" or Ash-tray!
 Disaster! - crocks
....or call it art and sell it for £1000.
www.antiques-now.co.uk/ad_detail.php?id=40687&category=miscellaneous
 Disaster! - devonite
EEk! - and I actually picked it up and put it down again!!!! ;-(
Latest Forum Posts