Non-motoring > Dogs, phantom pregnancies after spaying? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 10

Dogs, phantom pregnancies after spaying? - -
Ok, our Vizsla is nearly 3 and was spayed about a year ago, she hasn't had pups.

She suffered a really bad phantom pregnancy before spaying and we held off the decision to spay as long as possible till we were absolutely sure we were not going to breed from her, we didn't want her suffering phantoms if she didn't need to.

Since spaying she has shown strange unsual erratic compulsive behaviour for a few weeks around the time she would have come into season, just now she is being really strange again, nervous shivering, and SWMBO found her under hiding the dining room table presumably nesting, she also often grabs one of her bed blankets and carries it about but she does this in play anyway.

Spaying is supposed to stop phantom pregnancies, but in this case it hasn't.

If its something she has to live with so be it, but is there something we could do for her to ease her tension and help her through this, she's mcuh loved and treated very well here, but we are unsure of her treatment for her first 13 months which is when we got her, she's not funny with children but avoids them if possible (sensible dog;) so suspect she wasn't treated especially well in her puppy stages.
 Dogs, phantom pregnancies after spaying? - bathtub tom
We had a Springer that suffered phantom pregnancies after spaying.

We were also expelled from dog training classes when she came into season at six months old! Disturbing influence on the other dogs they said.

Springers, they're all mad, mad I tell you.
 Dogs, phantom pregnancies after spaying? - Zero

>> Springers, they're all mad, mad I tell you.

Tell us something we dont know.

>> If its something she has to live with so be it, but is there something
>> we could do for her to ease her tension and help her through this,

This stuff, Melatonin. The link does fully describe it, but its great for all forms of dog anxiety.

www.vetinfo.com/melatonin-supplements-for-dogs.html#b
 Dogs, phantom pregnancies after spaying? - -
Reckon the Vizsla could run the barmiest Springer close when it comes to being completely bonkers, endearing creature but as mad as a box of frogs, goes round the garden like a whirlwind legs everywhere grinning like a Cheshire cat.

So much for the experts view that spaying ends phantoms..

Melatonin on order, many thanks Z...she hates sudden noises, gusts of wind so worth trying for a few weeks to see if it helps with those things.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 27 Nov 12 at 11:39
 Dogs, phantom pregnancies after spaying? - Duncan
>> This stuff, Melatonin. The link does fully describe it, but its great for all forms
>> of dog anxiety.

What does Melatonin do to humans? Wasn't it banned in this country?
>> >> This stuff, Melatonin. The link does fully describe it, but its great for all
>> forms
>> >> of dog anxiety.
>>
>> What does Melatonin do to humans? Wasn't it banned in this country?

No idea, the Jock Doc will be along shortly to explain no doubt.
 Dogs, phantom pregnancies after spaying? - CGNorwich
You don't need doctors when you've got the internet.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin
 Dogs, phantom pregnancies after spaying? - Duncan
>> You don't need doctors when you've got the internet.
>>
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin
>>

I had looked at that. I really wanted someone to explain things in plain English.

I have - I think - a distant memory of someone telling me to take Melatonin before a long flight to aid sleep.

I wanted to know if my memory was playing tricks or not.
 Dogs, phantom pregnancies after spaying? - devonite
Self-diagnosis via Interwebdoc can be mis-leading and dangerous! - I tried it once, worried myself so sick! - had to go to the Doctors!
 Dogs, phantom pregnancies after spaying? - neiltoo
I think Melatonin is advised to assist in resisting jet lag, but as said above, not legally available in the UK.
I have heard of people bringing it in from the US.
Don't think it's illegal to use it, just not legal to sell it here.
Maybe because our friends in the EU haven't accepted its testing.
Latest Forum Posts