Non-motoring > iPhone troubles.. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 11

iPhone troubles.. - Rudedog
I've had my iPhone 4s since January this year, I'm not a heavy user and plug it in at the end of each day after work, but I've just started having an issue which I'm sure isn't normal and maybe I should be taking in to be looked at before the years warranty is up.

What happens is that the 20% battery warning comes up as normal but as soon as it hits 17% the phone shuts down, if I turn the phone back on it will continue working counting down from 17% battery charge, is this a sign of a doggy battery or could it be any thing to do with me still running OS5?
 iPhone troubles.. - Manatee
Do a reset. Hold the home and lock buttons, ignore the power off slider and keep them pressed until it starts the reset.

If that doesn't work, report back.
 iPhone troubles.. - Zero
>> I've had my iPhone 4s since January this year, I'm not a heavy user and
>> plug it in at the end of each day after work, but I've just started
>> having an issue which I'm sure isn't normal and maybe I should be taking in
>> to be looked at before the years warranty is up.
>>
>> What happens is that the 20% battery warning comes up as normal but as soon
>> as it hits 17% the phone shuts down, if I turn the phone back on
>> it will continue working counting down from 17% battery charge, is this a sign of
>> a doggy battery or could it be any thing to do with me still running
>> OS5?

Its nothing to do with running IOS5, I am still running it on mine in preference to 6.

The key is " I am not a heavy user and I plug it in each night "

It needs re-calibrating, you do this by charging it up, and then running it right down before you charge it again, and this needs to be done three or four times consecutively
 iPhone troubles.. - R.P.
Been arguments before on that very point - I ran down my old iPhone 4 every time before re-charging it. In two years its charge life was pretty constant. No intention of changing my habit...
 iPhone troubles.. - Zero
In this case its also a matter of what the iphone thinks is a full charge / empty charge as well as the battery state.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 28 Nov 12 at 23:04
 iPhone troubles.. - Manatee
I agree it needs recalibrating. AFAIK there is no officially prescribed method. The fact that it's turning off suggests to me that he has in effect done the run flat and recharge cycle, hence the reset suggestion first. Which is also quicker to try.
 iPhone troubles.. - BobbyG
So this super-duper iphone that does everything but make the Tea, can't actually tell how much juice is in its own battery???
 iPhone troubles.. - Zero
shut up and get back to rebuilding that crap laptop i conned you into buying.
When I plug my phone in at the end of the day it's mainly just to top it up rather than a full recharge because I don't know if I'll have access to power the next day, I've done the hard reset so I'll see if there is an improvement.
 iPhone troubles.. - VxFan
>> When I plug my phone in at the end of the day it's mainly just to top it up rather than a full recharge

Surely plugging it in at the end of the day gives it a full recharge if left overnight?

Or do you take it off the charge the moment the battery says 100%?

If that's the case, then that might be what's wrong with your battery. It needs a full recharge rather than just a top up.
Sorry I'm not explaining my self properly, after a days use when I get home I plug the phone in to recharge, sometimes it could be very low and other times it may only be at say 50% depending on my usage. I then leave the phone plugged in until I need it, so the phone will always be at 100% when I disconnect. Although I don't do a lot of talking on the phone the battery drain can be very varied depending on where I am, I've now turned off location services which seems to make it go down very quickly and if I'm not in a good 3G area I'll turn that off as well.

Any way the hard reset as recommended before seems to have cured the issue and my phone was fine yesterday without any inadvertent shut downs.
Last edited by: Rudedog on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 08:55
 iPhone troubles.. - R.P.
Good info Rudedog for us iPhoners !
Latest Forum Posts