Non-motoring > What's happened to the DT online format? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 7

What's happened to the DT online format? - bathtub tom
I used to be able to have a quick look and by scrolling down a couple of screens see everything. It's now spread over many more screens.

Is it something I've done?
 What's happened to the DT online format? - Focusless
Seems ok to me, although I'm not a frequent visitor. Not looking at the smartphone version are you?
 What's happened to the DT online format? - neiltoo
Not sure of your problem, but when I open DT on the tablet (samsung) I have to scroll down and touch "full website"

This opens up the main site which is adequate to read on a 10 inch screen.
 What's happened to the DT online format? - bathtub tom
I've uninstalled ghostery which seems to have made a small improvement.

The DT site wastes a lot of space either side of the screen. I can't see how to utilise those spaces.

PC. Windows 7 ultimate. Firefox 16.0.2
 What's happened to the DT online format? - neiltoo
Sorry BT - misunderstood.

I think that the DT site had a revamp a few weeks ago, and shows much less on the entry page. The Travel page, which won an award last year has suffered as well.

snip - Exposed as a DT reader!
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 12:32
 What's happened to the DT online format? - Focusless
I'm trying to switch from Mail Online to DT Online in an attempt to better myself :)
 What's happened to the DT online format? - Alanovich
Switch from The Wail online to The Beano online and you'd be raising your intellectual bar significantly.
 What's happened to the DT online format? - TeeCee
>> The DT site wastes a lot of space either side of the screen. I can't see how to utilise those spaces.

Well it's the same as this very site and many others in that respect. It's the whole "Web 2.0" thing that led the drive to fixed-width pages.
The alternative would have been handling the complexities of 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 screens and now all those weird and wonderful tablet sizes for added fun. All running at various resolutions and the poor web service then being expected to automagically present the best fit for the screen.

It's a cop-out, but there is method in the madness. Remember the days of either finding that your 800x600 display was merely a window into a much larger page or that the whole page ended up the size of a postage stamp in the middle of your 2560x1920 CAD monitor?
Latest Forum Posts