Non-motoring > Modern Society Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 13

Modern Society - Dutchie
How things have changed over the years.Most people have central heating now, a few televisions laptops mobile phone a car.My mother used to wash us in the sink no fancy shampoos one big fire in the living room.My mate's aunty had a black and white television and we use to watch the childrens programs at her house.I'm 63 now don't feel old still got all my own teeth a sixties teenager.>:)

typo in header corrected
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 1 Dec 12 at 00:13
 Modern Soceity - madf
63?

Bah : spotty teenager..
 Modern Soceity - Dog
My parents never ever had a jamjar, I presume my dad could drive though, as he woz in the REME in WW2.

I can roughly remember going on holly days (he snuffed it when I was 9) mainly to the 'Isle' of Sheppey.

I used to sleep in a double bed with my sister who was/is 5 years older than me and my brother who is 16 years older than me, used to sleep in another bed in the same b/room.

Never done me no arm though - including the icicles on the inside of the windows.
 Modern Soceity - Bigtee
Tv's are dropping in price yet i still can't find the need to put one in the bedroom, neighbour has one in each bedroom the kitchen the lounge and one in the flippin garage!!

But we have to move with the times not dwell on the past.
 Modern Soceity - madf
With green energy we will all have ice on the inside of our bedroom windows one year soon..
 Modern Soceity - Roger.
You're a relative "yoof", Dutchie!
 Modern Soceity - Armel Coussine
Hard luck Nederlander, born into a world already turning wimpish, the last days of free drink driving in cars with bald tyres and no brakes, and big ugly illegal service Webley .45s in drawers...

Of course you had the example of your robust skipper father and the Rotterdam streets to amuse you. Can't have been all that wimpish there.
 Modern Soceity - diddy1234
I tend to think of things as being better back yesteryear.

Back then, you left school, got an apprenticeship and then got a career for life.
possibly boring but stable. something to work your way up from.

There were no companies doing iffy trading on the stock market (most companies were not even on the stock exchange).
No Nick leason's collapsing companies and more trust overall.

Back then if you needed to speak to your local bank manager you went to see them. no call centres in another country.

Back then you could actually buy goods with 'made in Britain' stamped on the back.

These days in this 'global market place' your job could be gone in five minutes, massive uncertainty over your house.

Sorry for the rambling but I think material wise we are better off but in every other sense we are worse off.
 Modern Soceity - Robin O'Reliant
>> Sorry for the rambling but I think material wise we are better off but in
>> every other sense we are worse off.
>>
>>
I disagree with that.

Back when I were a lad police corruption was widespread, sexual abuse of children went on unchallenged because nobody believed that a teacher, priest, youth worker uncle or grandfather would do that sort of thing and all kids were liars, women, blacks and gays were second class citizens and in the case of the latter two faced daily harassment and assault, food was expensive, public services were for the benefit of those who worked in them and screw the rest of us, we lived with the threat of nuclear extinction, died earlier, froze in the winter, drove cars that fell apart and you wouldn't dare drive more than 30 miles in most of them, toilet paper scratched your backside and my mates sister told her brother I'd tried to get her into bed and he beat me up.
 Modern Soceity - Zero

>> There were no companies doing iffy trading on the stock market (most companies were not
>> even on the stock exchange).

There was, it was a closed world however, and there was much iffy trading and much fraud.

>> These days in this 'global market place' your job could be gone in five minutes,
>> massive uncertainty over your house.

Never heard of the dockers "call on" where work was given by lottery or bribery?

>> Sorry for the rambling but I think material wise we are better off but in
>> every other sense we are worse off.

We are, in almost every sense, much better off.
 Modern Soceity - Armel Coussine
>> We are, in almost every sense, much better off.

Yes.

And the ways in which we are worse off aren't even apparent to most people it seems. So we just have to grin or scowl or get stomach ulcers and bear it. There's no gainsaying the majority in a democracy if you aren't the government.
 Modern Soceity - Haywain
I'm 63 as well - I can remember when young mummies used to talk to their infants as they pushed 'em along in a pram. Nowadays, they are texting or phoning and completely ignoring the poor nipper.
 Modern Soceity - Robin O'Reliant
>> I'm 63 as well - I can remember when young mummies used to talk to
>> their infants as they pushed 'em along in a pram. Nowadays, they are texting or
>> phoning and completely ignoring the poor nipper.
>>
No they're not, it's the nipper they're texting.
 Modern Soceity - Dutchie
A few members here are 63 1949 must have been a good year.>)
Latest Forum Posts