Non-motoring > That word Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 38

That word - Ambo
I counted 88 uses of the eff word in the final 2 episodes of Fear. Deducting advert time, I calculate that over 102 minutes this amounts to one very 1.18 minutes. Too e***** many, surely?
 That word - Dog
WTF!

:-))
 That word - devonite
Can`t have been that good a watch if counting "F`s" was the highlight!
 That word - Robin O'Reliant
Oh for those more innocent days when Mary Whitehouse used to get off by counting the b*****s in Till Death us Do Part.
 That word - swiss tony
>> Oh for those more innocent days when Mary Whitehouse used to get off by counting
>> the b*****s in Till Death us Do Part.
>>

That gives me an idea - how to generate free power....

Now, if we were to find her grave, and connect her coffin to a generator......... :-)
 That word - Armel Coussine
>> find her grave, and connect her coffin to a generator......... :-)

In the sixties I used to dislike Mrs Whitehouse intensely, seeing her as an unpleasant, uptight killjoy.

I now think I was almost completely wrong: she was an innocent, kind-hearted lowbrow housewife horrified by what she saw as an avalanche of gratuitous vulgarity. Much jeered at and lampooned, she stuck to her guns and to an extent grew into the role, growing intellectually and emotionally in the process.

She was right too in a way. Even Alf Garnett's satirical vulgarity and racism had a downside - a lot of people agreed with them perhaps not seeing that they were satirical - and the sort of stuff some comedians and satirists come out with these days sometimes does come across as a bit disgusting and gratuitous, even to a free-spoken cynic and polemicist like me.

Do as I say, not as I do (as I sometimes have to remind my grandchildren). Not everyone can keep their balance on the edge.
>>
>> She was right too in a way. Even Alf Garnett's satirical vulgarity and racism had
>> a downside - a lot of people agreed with them perhaps not seeing that they
>> were satirical -
>>
You're dead right there, Alf Garnett was a working class hero during the sixties and seventies. I was at West Ham a couple of times when Warren Mitchell came onto the pitch "in character" as hammers supporting Alf and the crowd raised the roof in approval. Johnny Speight's attempt to combat the racism which was rife at the time by lampooning the Garnett like bigots backfired spectacularly.
 That word - Dutchie
Satirical is often close to the truth.The people who write these plays know excactly what they are doing.I still can't see do why the Gollywog was taking of the jam jars never saw any harm in it.
 That word - Dog
>>I still can't see do why the Gollywog was taking of the jam jars never saw any harm in it<<

Probably due to the acronym wog, which meant without giblets, whole of government, white occidental gentlemen etc.
 That word - Ambo
>> Can`t have been that good a watch if counting "F`s" was the highlight!
>>

The series went right down after a good start but I clung on in hope it would improve.

I am reminded of the remark attributed to Mary Whitehouse at the time, that "We don't want sex thrust down our throats".
 That word - Roger.

>> I am reminded of the remark attributed to Mary Whitehouse at the time, that "We
>> don't want sex thrust down our throats".
>>
Well, blow me!
 That word - SteelSpark
>> I counted 88 uses of the eff word in the final 2 episodes of Fear.
>> Deducting advert time, I calculate that over 102 minutes this amounts to one very 1.18
>> minutes. Too e***** many, surely?

Draiber, some might mock you for such diligence, but I have nothing but respect for your dedication to the cause of censorship and moral panic.

I personally dedicate a huge amount of time to counting and documenting the details of all sex acts contained in Hollywood movies from 1970 to the present day.

It is a thankless task, requiring me to watch the same degrading scenes over and over again to make sure I don't miss a single detail, but somebody's got to do it.

That word - sooty123
SS , I salute you in your thankless task.
 That word - Zero
He'll go blind

All in the name of science of course.
 That word - sooty123
A sacrifice in the endeavour of scienctific research.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 8 Dec 12 at 20:19
 That word - WillDeBeest
SS , I salute you...

...with one hand, presumably.
 That word - MD
Get a grip you lot.
 That word - Zero
He's making a good fist of it.
 That word - Jetski
Pull yourselves together gentlemen.
 That word - L'escargot
What I don't like is all the gratuititous e***** and blinding by comedians on the telly. It doesn't make the jokes any funnier. In fact it tends to distract me.
 That word - Slidingpillar
Swearing can be funny. Trouble is, in 99.9% of cases, it isn't.

Unless one hits the surprise threshold, a swear word from a 'comedian' or anyone else just says they have a potty mouth and don't know enough English.
 That word - Lygonos
I think Frank Skinner showed this after actively suppressing his swearing while doing his stand-up show and finding no difference to the enjoyment of his audiences.
 That word - Dutchie
I admire anybody who gets by without swearing.e***** and Blinding sounds common in front of other people.I swear sometimes.(Godverdomme.)
 That word - Zero
A swear word has to have a time, a place and a value to be effective. It takes real skill to be able to use them properly.
 That word - bathtub tom
SWMBO, a teacher and scout leader, never swore until another scout leader tried to argue justification for men earning more than women in the same job. She uttered one word - b*****. You could hear a pin drop. I've never seen such an effective use.
 That word - sooty123
Some people just swear alot without trying to create an 'impact' or the such. It's just another word to them. I've worked with quite a few people like that, it's just another set of words to them.
 That word - Cliff Pope
>> It's just another word to them. I've worked with quite a few people like that, it's
>> just another set of words to them.
>>

You mean they just keep repeating the same words, without thinking about the meaning, they just keep repeating the same words ? :)
 That word - sooty123
>> >> It's just another word to them. I've worked with quite a few people like
>> that, it's
>> >> just another set of words to them.
>> >>
>>
>> You mean they just keep repeating the same words, without thinking about the meaning, they
>> just keep repeating the same words ? :)
>>

Aye, see it's catching.
 That word - Ambo
Two of the rare comedians who could be funny and clean were Lenny Henry and Michael McIntyre. It is very disappopinting and cheapening that they both decided to talk dirty, or maybe their agents decided for them.
 That word - L'escargot
>> Two of the rare comedians who could be funny and clean .............

What about all this lot? How many of them swore? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comedians
 That word - Zero
All of them
 That word - Bromptonaut
>> Some people just swear alot without trying to create an 'impact' or the such. It's
>> just another word to them. I've worked with quite a few people like that, it's
>> just another set of words to them.

Agree. I'm quite likley to let go an involuntary bu&&er if a drop something.

Coming from a part of the world where the word is used as a term of affection (as in 'tha daft bu&&er') it's capacity to shock in south of Engalnd came as a shock.
 That word - Lygonos
www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Wai1QjP_o

Contains swearies.
 That word - Dutchie
I soon got used to that word living in Yorkshire.Or daft git has similair meaning.
 That word - R.P.
Going to stop swearing in the New Year...
 That word - Dutchie
Famous last word Rob.Like counting to ten I'm lucky to get to five.
 That word - Zero
>> Going to stop swearing in the New Year...

B ollocks. Bet you dont.
 That word - R.P.
oh, and gambling ! :-)
"That word" is no longer "That word". It's the other word which is now "That word".
Latest Forum Posts