Non-motoring > Replacement Christmas light bulbs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 17

Replacement Christmas light bulbs - smokie
Many years go I got a real bargain at Makro in January - a string of lights that must be about 20m long, think I paid a fiver. They are the little push in bulbs, and work off the mains, and if one bulb goes (or you take it out) you lose a few bulbs along with it but the rest of the chain keeps going.

So over the years I've had to replace bulbs (mostly because of me treading on them when putting them out!) and have long used the spares, and those from the first section of the string. So next year I have no spares.

As I said, they are little push in bulbs, with no markings. White, not coloured (can I say that? :-) ). How can I find out what rating they are? (Also I realise there are different sizes of the push-in bit).

Where has the best choice, now Woolies is no more?
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 8 Dec 12 at 19:06
 Replacement Christmas light bulbs - Old Navy
You can buy a 10 meter string of 100 white indoor / outdoor white LEDs for about a tenner in ALDI. I think they have an 8 program controller plus constant on.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 8 Dec 12 at 19:20
 Replacement Christmas light bulbs - PhilW
"Where has the best choice, now Woolies is no more? "

Wilko?
 Replacement Christmas light bulbs - bathtub tom
I found that three Wilkinson bulbs were more expensive than a new set from Poundland.
 Replacement Christmas light bulbs - spamcan61
>> "Where has the best choice, now Woolies is no more? "
>>
>> Wilko?
>>
Yep, Wilko is the Woolies for the new millenium IMHO.
Nearest Wilko is Reading I think, or Bracknell, both of which I avoid like the plague when possible... Luckily SWMBO doesn't insist on me going shopping with her - years of grumpiness have paid off :-)
 Replacement Christmas light bulbs - Bromptonaut
I have a similar problem.

Set of lights bought years ago that nowadays get put up around the Rowan in the front garden. I think they came from B&Q. Run off mains via a transformer and take a bulb that's 3v 0.2w. with a micro ES fitting. Simply no longer available anywhere. Limited sets of 'fairy light' bulbs in Wilko or the Ryness place near work but nothing to match.

Best I can find is a version for higher voltage with same fit. It completes the circuit but has limited light output. Actually the sunlight through stained glass effect is OK but not as it should be.

I'm afraid the all singing/flashing/chasing LED has simply taken over the market.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 8 Dec 12 at 20:42
 Replacement Christmas light bulbs - Meldrew
Wilko upstairs in a shopping centre called Broad Street Mall in Reading and no Wilko in Bracknell
 Replacement Christmas light bulbs - Roger.
One of our biggest local employers here, are Wilkinsons.
Please keep on using them!
 Replacement Christmas light bulbs - Zero
Bought two sets of blue and white 100 leds 5 metres for 5.99 a set, and two sets of tree lights at 2.99 a set

Homebase.
 Replacement Christmas light bulbs - henry k
>>...and if one bulb goes (or you take it out) you lose a few bulbs along with it but the rest of the chain keeps going.

>>How can I find out what rating they are? (Also I realise there are different sizes of the push-in bit).

First see how many go out when a bulb is pulled.
It would appear that you have got several strings of bulbs in your set.
Then take a bulb and compare with spares for a set with XX bulbs.
Sounds sensible Henry, I'll try that.
 Replacement Christmas light bulbs - bathtub tom
tinyurl.com/d48v74q
YAy, virtual Christmas drink to BT.

These turned out to be as near as matters.

tinyurl.com/dxt5c8q

Different shape and it took me a bit off faffing to recall how to relate mw to amps. They should restore former glory for another year or two.
>> >>How can I find out what rating they are? (Also I realise there are different
>> sizes of the push-in bit).
>>
>> First see how many go out when a bulb is pulled.
>> It would appear that you have got several strings of bulbs in your set.
>> Then take a bulb and compare with spares for a set with XX bulbs.

Most have the rating stamped on them somewhere but you might need a younger person to read it for you!!
 Replacement Christmas light bulbs - L'escargot
I bet you have energy saving light bulbs, but yet you're going to squander electricity unnecessarily on Christmas lights.

;-)
 Replacement Christmas light bulbs - Fursty Ferret
>> I bet you have energy saving light bulbs, but yet you're going to squander electricity
>> unnecessarily on Christmas lights.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Personally, anything but LED Christmas lights should be thrown out anyway.
 Replacement Christmas light bulbs - Clk Sec
I was never able to find suitable replacement bulbs for the pre LED Christmas lights we bought once the few spare ones were used up, despite the vast selection available in the DIY sheds.
Latest Forum Posts