Non-motoring > Lovefilm package changes, what next? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 28

Lovefilm package changes, what next? - -
Here's a gem email from Lovefilm who are going to give us even greater value apparently by removing the 2 hrs free streaming we currently enjoy as part of the package.

'''We're always looking for ways to ensure our customers get the best value entertainment, that's why we're changing your package to better suit your needs.

Even greater value...

From January 10th we will move you to a new package which will enable you to have unlimited DVDs and Blu-rays, 1 at a time for the same great price. Your new package will not include streaming on LOVEFiLM Instant.

...And you don't need to do a thing

Your login details, rental list, ratings, billing method and personal account details will stay exactly the same and on January 10th your account will be automatically switched to your new rental package - Unlimited DVDs & Blu-Ray, 1 disc at a time. '''

How can removing the 2 hrs of steaming we currently enjoy be even greater value?

SWMBO has sent them an email which has elicited response number 612b i believe..;)

'''We are sorry to advise that due to technical reasons, our capped
streaming packages will be removed from service on 07/01/2012. Our
future package choices will only include packages with unlimited
streaming on no streaming at all. Our global apps services across
devices are unable to support packages with a capped streaming allowance
and are causing errors to occur, which we need to stop.'''

Now IF this is the truth i have no problem with it but why not say so in the first place instead of the party political broadcast hogwash, why try to con customers by telling them that its better value than before...ref 'even greater value'?

The Americans have a good saying for this type of thing, it goes along the lines of don't p... on me and tell me its raining.

Righto people, what's a good alternative service, either DVD's by post or streaming or a mixture, we intend to upgrade to a bigger internet linked TV after Christmas so what do you find good and fairly priced?
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - Dog
Yeah, I received that too granpa and um gonna cancel my Love?film subscription mucho pronto.

I've had a couple of unplayable DVD's lately as well, but they won't give me a refund, the sods.

I check the Radio times every day to see if there is an arf decent film worth recording (nope!)

I find the trouble with this ere blimmin tele is that although there are now more channels than y'all can shake a stick at, most of it is a complete load of shoe repairers.
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - Haywain
There's an old-fashioned thing called a 'cinema' - we have one in our town and the missus and I are members. We went down last night and, using our 'Orange Wednesday' deal, it cost £7.50 for the pair of us.
But, but, but, what'll I do with me 42" 600hz Plasma tele and me 3D Blu-ray player (don't tell me!)
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - CGNorwich
Yes I visit the cinema regularly too once or twice per month. - Usually go the local "Picturehouse" which has a great bar and restaurant as well as showing a lot of films that never make it to local multilplexes. Saw "Great Expectations" last weekend (Helena Bonham Carter excellent as Miss Haversham.)

I have been with love film for year and pay £5 a month for 3 films pe month which is more than enough for me. Although I get the free streaming I have have never used it. Have never found any trouble getting a credit for a damaged DVD and the service is quick and efficient.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 13 Dec 12 at 09:14
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - VxFan
>> There's an old-fashioned thing called a 'cinema'

Which can have noisy people sat next to you, eating popcorn, crisps and the like. Not to mention passing on germs if they've got a cold.

Also, if you miss part of the film because someone came into the room, you wanted a loo break, etc, you can rewind or pause the film at home. Something you can't do at the cinema.
All no doubt true but no matter how big your TV watching a film at home will never compare with watching a film how it was designed to be seen i.e projected on a large screen and with a cinema quality sound system.

The secret is to find a decent cinema. If you have one of the "Picturehouses" near you give them a try. You get a much more adult audience that want to watch the film than you do in the average multiplex.

Lovefilm package changes, what next? - Crankcase
Last time we went to the Picturehouse we bit off more than we could chew. We liked the Lord of the Rings films and they were showing all three, back to back, from 9pm till dawn.

We managed the first one and a bit before staggering away punch drunk with elves, but were surrounded by geeks, two of who knew the film SO well that EVERY line - I kid you not - EVERY significant line for three hours was said out loud by them just before the characters said it. Really quite wearing.

Nothing against the Picturehouse though, great organization. Let's hope they stay that way after last week's buyout. We're going on Saturday as it happens.

Lovefilm package changes, what next? - Duncan
>> We managed the first one and a bit before staggering away punch drunk with elves,
>> but were surrounded by geeks, two of who knew the film SO well that EVERY
>> line - I kid you not - EVERY significant line for three hours was said
>> out loud by them just before the characters said it. Really quite wearing.

What happened when you asked them if they would 'stop talking please'?
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - Focusless
Probably would have drawn their swords and ran him through.
I have never been able to understand the obsession with all things Tolkien. Found the books pretty tedious and have never seen the films. I expect Hobbitmania is about to break out this weekend.
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - Londoner
>> I have never been able to understand the obsession with all things Tolkien. Found the
>> books pretty tedious and have never seen the films. I expect Hobbitmania is about to
>> break out this weekend.
>>
It's an addiction, CGN. Tolkein is Hobbit forming.
Now you're Tolkien.
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - Ambo
>>
>> I've had a couple of unplayable DVD's lately as well, but they won't give me
>> a refund, the sods.
>>

A cash refund? I didn't know they did this. I've returned about a dozen unplayable DVDs but they have always been replaced for free. Overall the service has been excellent. I am on an "any number but one at a time" deal for £9.18 monthly and get about one every four days. I greatly appreciate the access to old (some silent) and foreign films afforded.
>>A cash refund?<<

Well, a refund to my card.

They have BTW agreed to add the DVD back to my list + a free dispatch but, I've taken a payment holiday (as they call it) for 3 months so would have preferred the sponduliks.
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - Meldrew
There is a useful computer prog called Digiguide which enables one to download TV listings, choose the channels one receives or is interested in and then search for content for up to 3 months ahead. Useful if one is looking for a particular film.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Thu 13 Dec 12 at 08:52
Is this nose/face? Lovefilm seem to me to be a good service, and we use them a lot. We have unlimited streaming and one dvd at a time, for £7.99 a month. I don't what the OP was paying but it can;t have been more than a two or three quid less? I'd just view it as a price rise with the removal of the two hour limit.

If you're so minded they offer some deal where you can reduce your monthly fee further by paying up front, if you are of that mindset.

Otherwise there's lots of streaming sites. We're on Netflix too - better in some ways, worse in others, and I've used Blinkbox and of course iTunes.

Lovefilm package changes, what next? - Roger.
I've yet to see anything on LoveFilm I would want to rent, so despite being seduced by "special offers" I have not bothered with it.
Are there ANY such services out there which stream really up to date material, such as new releases - Skyfall, for instance?
No, you need to go to the cinema.
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - Roger.
The last film we saw at a cinema was, IIRC, a Harry Potter one and that was in Puerto Banus.
We do now have a brand new cinema in our town, but have not sampled it yet.
I know SWMBO wants to see Skyfall, so we may have to go.
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - Focusless
>> Are there ANY such services out there which stream really up to date material, such
>> as new releases - Skyfall, for instance?

Why does it need to be really up to date - what's wrong with waiting (say) up to a year, as long as you have a regular flow coming in?
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 13 Dec 12 at 09:38
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - WillDeBeest
I've had a similar email to GB, although mine says that customers found the streaming allowance (4h in my case) 'confusing' (I didn't) so apparently they're going to improve my service by removing it.

I don't have time to use it much, to be honest, but it's come in handy on a few wet Sundays. I would probably swallow a £1 a month price rise but I hate this kind of circumlocution. It reminds me of when a previous employer announced a pay freeze with the words 'we have decided to extend the merit increase cycle'. Good businesses don't have to resort to this; I'm not impressed.
>> I've yet to see anything on LoveFilm I would want to rent

You must have some pretty niche tastes, Roger. I've seen loads of stuff from Lovefilm/Netflix streaming/rental and no end in sight at the minute.

As a matter of interest, what kind of films do you like? Perhaps it's a niche I don't know about and would like to explore.
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - R.P.
Just had a bribe letter from Sky offering a wireless widget and unliminted on demand films for 8 quid a month. I'll be weaning myself off Sky in the new-year so won't bother.
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - Ambo
Thanks for the alert, Crankcase. I had instant viewing and don't need it, so have reverted to the £7.99 packgage.
If you don't want instant viewing at all they offer three prices with varying numbers of rentals - £8.16, £5.99 and £4.89, but I can't see a "no streaming" pack for £7.99.

Lovefilm package changes, what next? - mikeyb
We've got the streaming only pack, but to be honest, I've watched the ones I fancied and now find that we are scratching around for something to watch
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - -
Some interesting things popping up for perusal when time permits.

We will most likely cancel Lovefilm in January.

Had they been up front originally and stated that limited streaming inside DVD rental packages was causing serious technical difficulties then we wouldn't have been bothered in the least.

It's political style spin that annoys...for goodness sake why won't companies and people just be straight, we're grown ups tell us the truth from the off.

Good word that from WDB, circumlocution, fits this piece of propaganda like a glove, confess i'd never heard the word before but will strive to make good use of it in the future.

No picturehouses here just cinemas, we haven't been for years and have no intention of going again, other cinema goers the problem.
Reasonable telly here, but we have a serous surround system so get the full effects and having no close neighbours can run the sub at any level.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Thu 13 Dec 12 at 20:37
 Lovefilm package changes, what next? - Bromptonaut
>> It's political style spin that annoys...for goodness sake why won't companies and people just be
>> straight, we're grown ups tell us the truth from the off.

Spot on again GB. I lose count of the times I've been praised as either a manager or front of house man for telling folk the unvarnished truth.

It doesn't help them any more than it does the service provider to mislead.

Much better to say:

"That's how it is straight down the line and (if appropriate) this is how do we deal with it"
Latest Forum Posts