Non-motoring > elite troops Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 22

elite troops - Armel Coussine
Sorry if people have seen this already, but I thought those unfamiliar with central Africa might realise how fortunate they are...

www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=445767465487861
 elite troops - Dutchie
First time I've seen this clip A.C.Can't make up my mind if it's funny or not.Felt sorry for the chimp.
Seems to me funny and frightening in about equal measures. I also have a nagging feeling it may be faked, although I don't think it is.

Troops (and indeed senior officers) drunk at midday and lurching about with cocked weapons with the safety off are all too common in those parts.
 elite troops - corax
Maybe the gun is loaded with blanks.
 elite troops - Zero
The clip is a viral video ad, complete with a semi-authentic and amateurish look, published for the 20th century Fox movie Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
 elite troops - rtj70
It does mention 20th Century Fox. I assumed it was 'fake' but still very funny.
>> a viral video ad, complete with a semi-authentic and amateurish look

I'm not surprised. No sign of ejected cartridge cases, no big splashes of earth, no one hit...

Actually if it was a real clip the troops would have shot the chimp and eaten it.
 elite troops - Cliff Pope
I agree it's very funny.
But then I have a slightly uncomfortable feeling that perhaps I oughtn't to be laughing, as seeing the similarities between African soldiers and chimpanzees is just a tiny bit, um, not on these days?
>> seeing the similarities between African soldiers and chimpanzees is just a tiny bit, um, not on these days?

Surely you mean the similarities between human beings and chimpanzees CP? What's 'not on' about it even in these wimpish PC days? Chimps are our closest non-human relations as any fule kno from frequenting this forum.

Raspberry.
 elite troops - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Surely you mean the similarities between human beings and chimpanzees CP? What's 'not on' about
>> it even in these wimpish PC days?
>>

Watch the soldiers jumping up and down imitating a chimpanzee, and then imagine doing that in multicultural Britain.
The film is funny in an African context, but I think becomes just a bit questionable when viewed for amusement by a white audience in Britain.

Not greatly questionable, just enough to raise a tiny uneasy thought. I know the soldiers have the right to act up to their stereotypes if they want to, but do we have the right to laugh at them?
>> do we have the right to laugh at them?

'Rights' don't come into it. Either something seems funny or it doesn't.

But I have been teasing you a bit CP. I was well aware that some people might feel uneasy about that clip. I would insist though that there is no good reason to, for those not afflicted by crude racism.
 elite troops - Roger.
>>
>> >>
>> >> Surely you mean the similarities between human beings and chimpanzees CP? What's 'not on'
>> about
>> >> it even in these wimpish PC days?
>> >>
>>
>> Watch the soldiers jumping up and down imitating a chimpanzee, and then imagine doing that
>> in multicultural Britain.
>> The film is funny in an African context, but I think becomes just a bit
>> questionable when viewed for amusement by a white audience in Britain.
>>
>> Not greatly questionable, just enough to raise a tiny uneasy thought. I know the soldiers
>> have the right to act up to their stereotypes if they want to, but do
>> we have the right to laugh at them?
>>
We have the right to laugh at anything which we find amusing.
What one finds funny is the variable.
 elite troops - Ian (Cape Town)
>>perhaps I oughtn't to be laughing,
>> as seeing the similarities between African soldiers and chimpanzees is just a tiny bit, um,
>> not on these days?
>>
Given the relative success of the likes of Jacques Schramme, Mike Hoare, Ron Kirby etc etc etc with a bunch of ne'er do wells and sweepings of the local gaols in various european capitals, yes, definitely 'not on' ...
And having been all over Africa, and witnessed ill-trained and ill-educated 'troops' armed with automatic weapons, it is no surprise that holocausts as happened in Rwanda are commonplace.
>> relative success of the likes of Jacques Schramme, Mike Hoare, Ron Kirby etc etc etc with a bunch of ne'er do wells and sweepings of the local gaols in various european capitals,

Very relative indeed sometimes Ian. I wonder if that bunch of toerags that met the real Angolan army has been let out yet? Not to mention those Boer heavies down by you whose humiliation was all over the TV, ugly and pathetic.

Untrained stupid African drunks with Kalashnikovs are no more chimp-like than them. Wouldn't want to go within a mile of any of them these days...
 elite troops - madf
It's unfair to chimps to compare them to mercenaries.

>> Actually if it was a real clip the troops would have shot the chimp and eaten it.

That isn't a joke by the way. They really would have been likely to do that.
 elite troops - Dutchie
Chimp for dinner makes a change from Beef and Yorkshire pudding.>:)
But would you knowingly eat your DNA cousin Dutchie? I wouldn't unless I was starving.
Snigger... I've got a gong from a bushmeat gourmet...
 elite troops - CGNorwich
>> Chimp for dinner makes a change from Beef and Yorkshire pudding.>:)
>>

I could cook you one, I have chimp pan see.
 elite troops - Ian (Cape Town)

>> I could cook you one, I have chimp pan see.
>>

i'd just shove it under the grilla.
 elite troops - Zero
I can supply the finch, Finch 'n Chimps.
>> Finch 'n Chimps.

Hmmm... it has long been held that a diet too rich in protein is liable to promote a choleric temperament...
Latest Forum Posts