Non-motoring > How's your English? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 6

How's your English? - Crankcase
This is some Konglish for you to translate. Shouldn't be impossible without resorting to looking it up. Don't be blur.

I went syoping at the syupeomaket for keuriseumaseu. I got Terry's chokollit orenji, and then for the tims at the pati geims I got kolla, juseu and pija. But I think in my apateu they'll just want aiseukeurim on the sopa with the tibeu-i.

It turns out there's also Hinglish and Spanglish, amongst others.

Zero, as sometimes, was right - English as we traditionally use it matters not, as long as the intent gets across.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20332763
 How's your English? - Manatee
>>English as we traditionally use it matters not, as long as the intent gets across.

No. There's an important difference between evolution of language and pidginisation, which is an expedient for basic communication between people without a common first language, a different thing altogether.

You need proper language to deal with ideas, breadth of subject matter, and to handle any sort of complexity with precision. That's why it evolved.

If grunts would have done the job, that's what we'd be using.
 How's your English? - Zero
>> >>English as we traditionally use it matters not, as long as the intent gets across.
>>
>> No.

Yes. Pidginisation can do that job just as easily, its just another language that just happens not to be to your taste.

Communication int he future will be much more visual now it can be shared in visual form, complexity is much better handled in plans, diagrams, formulae, pictures, - visually presented rather than in an arcane flowery manner designed to make the deliverer feel clever.

Grunts will do nicely, they are making a comeback.
 How's your English? - Armel Coussine
>> formulae, pictures, - visually presented rather than in an arcane flowery manner designed to make the deliverer feel clever.

What a load of cobblers. The reason you think complex material described in proper English is 'arcane' and 'flowery' is that it makes you feel stupid. Got your picture books then dear?

Tchah.
 How's your English? - CGNorwich
Surely pidgins are just a step on the way to an evolution of a creole which does have the grammar and sophistication of a true language. That's how new languages come about.
 How's your English? - R.P.
There's Scymraeg as well - a mix of Welsh and English...
 How's your English? - Cliff Pope
I remember programme about the development of Pidgin in SE Asia.
It was necessary as a common language between traders and merchants, but standard English was found to be lacking in that it used the same word "we" or "us" when referring to someone in your own bargaining team and someone on the other side. It was vitally important when doing a deal to differentiate between what "we" offer, ie our side, and what "we" have agreed, ie both sides.

Hence "mepal" meaning you and me on our side, and "youme" meaning the people on both sides, deal completed.
Latest Forum Posts