Non-motoring > Music for Christmas Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 29

Music for Christmas - Bromptonaut
I keep watching/listening to this 'cover' of a Christmas classic and thinking WOW - so much better than original.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OVl-0m5ssA

What will rest of you listen to over the next fortnight or so?
 Music for Christmas - Ted

Whatever comes on Classic FM while I'm in the car and whatever the Grandkids are listening to on Crimble day.

ATM I've got Mahler's 'Song of the Earth' on the PC while I read the forum. Just coming up to Der Abschied.....The Farewell.

Well, I need cheering up !

Ted
 Music for Christmas - Focusless
>> so much better than original.

Where's that 'offensive' button... :)

I was going to say the original is best:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=av0QpbAXHq8

But actually I prefer Aled's version:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlX3WYUVzuk

Usually have Absolute 80s on in the background (for the dog) when I'm working at home, and I like hearing 'Christmas Wrapping' by The Waitreses:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzjDOk_u9I

Had enough carols for now - was playing again with the band last night, this time outside Asda in Lower Earley. It was in the store foyer, so it wasn't cold. However, the Christmas Spirit was somewhat dampened by the anti-shoplifting alarm which kept going off every few minutes...
 Music for Christmas - rtj70
>> But actually I prefer Aled's version:

So do I. I wonder what the new Snowman animation will be like this Christmas.

And Bromptonaut's preference is terrible... but each to their own I guess.
 Music for Christmas - No FM2R
I will blast out every UK oriented Christmas Song that I have to the distress and confusion of my South American neighbours.

Do They Know It's Christmas
A Fairytale Of New York
White Christmas
Mary`s Boy Child
O Come All Ye Faithful
Little Drummer Boy
Driving Home For Christmas
Lonely This Christmas
Wonderful Christmastime
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Last Christmas
Happy Xmas, War Is Over
Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
The Christmas Song
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Thank God It's Christmas

And, of course.............

Slade with Merry Xmas Everybody

And sooooo many more you cannot imagine. I'm pretty unbearable at Christmas (yes, even more than usual).

As I stand there in my shorts cooking Christmas dinner on the barbecue whilst my wife, bless her socks, will be getting the Christmas pud & custard ready just for me and the girls.

I have to tell you though, Christmas feels better with lousy weather and long nights.

I hope you all do have a great Christmas and enjoy being with those that you want to be with, I am certainly going to.
 Music for Christmas - Pat
There you are Mark, you can be really nice when you try hard, can't you:)

Pat
 Music for Christmas - Crankcase
Actually listened to some more "normal" music whilst doing the tree decorations - dug out a number I used to listen to when I was tiny on Spotify, and was gratified to find they had it.

Merry Gentle Pops, Barron Knights, 1965. Not heard it for more than 40 years and was disturbed to discover I still knew all the words.

It is, of course, utterly terrible.
One that hasn't been mentioned yet - Mariah Carey's 'All I want for Christmas is you'
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQViqx6GMY

Best thing she's done by miles.
 Music for Christmas - Ambo
To get the family out of bed on Christmas morning, play loudly Prokofiev's sleigh ride Troika, from his Lieutenant Kije suite.
Troika: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QsRDpsItq0

Or alternatively: www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG4BPNvayWo

:)
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 20 Dec 12 at 11:42
 Music for Christmas - TheManWithNoName
Tomorrow I shall be mostly listening to...
Its the End of The World As We Know It by REM
Final Countdown by Europe

;-)
 Music for Christmas - Fenlander
I like this little known song... nearer to the true meaning of Christmas.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD3p2z9nBGY

(One swear word mumbled at the end)
 Music for Christmas - Manatee
Jake Thackray, genius - Remember Bethlehem

goo.gl/g00Ss

There's a terrible 'swing' recording of this that you must never listen to - the record company must have made him do it to be more 'commercial'. Didn't work of course.

We have a few CDs that come out at Christmas including Carols from Kings, the Messiah, Rossini's Petite Messe Solonnelle, but Jake's carol is the one I hunt out first.
 Music for Christmas - Dog
^ I'm with this geezer:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4
 Music for Christmas - Ian (Cape Town)
>> I will blast out every UK oriented Christmas Song that I have to the distress
>> and confusion of my South American neighbours.
>>

>> And sooooo many more you cannot imagine.

Greg Lake - I believe in father Christmas
Jonah Lewie - Stop the Cavalry
Santa Claus is on the dole - spitting image

Having said that, locally they tend to dust off the Boney M Christmas CD this time of year.
Yet another reason I hate shopping.
Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Thu 20 Dec 12 at 13:20
 Music for Christmas - Ambo
I am a great fan of French "chansonniers", who write their own songs and music and sometimes perform them both. Jake Thackray was in this tradition and I fancy he was greatly influenced by Georges Brassens. I was sorry to have missed his show in our local pub in about 2001. There are loads of his songs on Spotify but not one of those I liked, "Open The Door For Lucy".
 Music for Christmas - bathtub tom
Strange that three of Jake Thackray's fans should be here, nearly everyone else I know can't abide him.

draiber. Jake was influenced by George Brassens, he says as much when he introduces brother gorilla, which IIRC is a translation of a Brassens song. Jake spent some time in France.

I never found out what killed him, anyone know?

I once, literally, bumped into him in Monmouth. He seemed desperately shy.
 Music for Christmas - Roger.
"I'm walking backwards to Christmas."
>> "I'm walking backwards to Christmas."

I'm walking backwards for CHristmas
Across the Irish Sea?

That came up in the pub Christmas quiz last night. Some debate as to whether the record was by the Goons or just Spike, whose poem it was. I think it was the Goons.
I only saw him in person once, performing at the Skelwith Bridge Hotel near Ambleside. A very modest man, and in my opinion very talented too. Unique guitar style, more or less self taught I think.

I was listening to "The Blacksmith and the Toffee Maker" on the way home from a shopping trip this morning, which made me smile as usual.

A great shame that he didn't think as much of himself as his fans did. He went into a decline in the early 90s, some sort of breakdown, followed by drink problems and eventually dying of heart problems.

Remember Bethlehem was written, as far as I know, for a school concert when he was a teacher.

Music for Christmas - Zero

>> A great shame that he didn't think as much of himself as his fans did.

All three of them.
>>
>> >> A great shame that he didn't think as much of himself as his fans
>> did.
>>
>> All three of them.

People of taste and distinction all.
 Music for Christmas - Dog
Back in the late 80's when we were living in Hastings and driving back from the Smugglers at Fairlight one Sunday afternoon, I put this on www.youtube.com/watch?v=xod5YAw1_mI the Cassette player in My Scirocco.

My friends from sowf lunden couldn't believe their lugholes.

:-))

BIG fan BTW.
Rag, Tag and Bobtail.
>> I keep watching/listening to this 'cover' of a Christmas classic and thinking WOW - so
>> much better than original.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OVl-0m5ssA
>>
>> What will rest of you listen to over the next fortnight or so?

It wont be that. Its appalling, it sounds like something the school band cocked up.
 Music for Christmas - Robin O'Reliant
Christmas isn't Christmas without this -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgIwLeASnkw
 Music for Christmas - R.P.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYxLutzbfb0

Mentioned that before - that sustained note at 1.58 and beyond is incredible - an X Factor winner or something in 2007 - Unusually for that programme an outstanding talent. Who doesn't feel the need to warble or gesticulate madly when singing.

Music for Christmas - neiltoo
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wv1c77qf10
Christmas is also when the concept albums come out.

Sometimes they get put away very quickly, but I have been wrapping presents today to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. Not been played for years as all the vinyl is in the loft, but I was inspired by the recent R4 programme "But Still They Come" on the making of the album to order it on CD.

That's still on iPlayer. It was hilarious listening to Richard Burton mispronouncing Billericay.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pf5cx
 Music for Christmas - R.P.
Brilliant programme that - catch it on iPlayer if it's still there..
Latest Forum Posts