Non-motoring > From Russia with love ??? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 19

From Russia with love ??? - R.P.
A slightly enigmatic Christmas present......My Wife's aunt had bought her mother a book of Welsh poetry - a second hand book (published in 1951) a sor tof compendium of Welsh poetry - it was previously owned by a local College's library - I like looking, feeling and smelling books like this - whilst I browsed through it I found between the pages in the "Romance Section" a well yellowed paper cutting. It was the broadcast times for the English Language Service of Radio Moscow. The cutting appears (in the absence of clear evidence) a contemporary of the book.....wonder what that was all about ?
 From Russia with love ??? - Robin O'Reliant
Previously owned by a Russian secret agent, perhaps?
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/8307468737/in/set-72157631896359673

Your guess is as good as mine - love finding stuff like this. Mind you finding a £20.00 note in a copy of Seven Years in Tibet sourced from e-bay was rather better.
 From Russia with love ??? - Bromptonaut
Mrs B, several years ago, found me an early copy of Nevile Shute's Requiem for a Wren. Hardback but no cover. Between the pages however we found the original flysheet with Val Biro's drawing of the book's hero Janet Prentice and her dog on a boat in the Solent. Rightmost illustration on the top row:

www.nevilshute.org/CoverGraphics/requiem.php
Funnily enough one of the winter tasks is to sort out the bookshelves on the landing (Floor to ceiling jobbies) - sorting out my history books into thematics - and culling (mainly works of fiction) unwanted books. Surviving yet another cull have been my Shute Books - including the one you mention. May read it now.
 From Russia with love ??? - Bromptonaut
>> Funnily enough one of the winter tasks is to sort out the bookshelves on the
>> landing (Floor to ceiling jobbies) - sorting out my history books into thematics - and
>> culling (mainly works of fiction) unwanted books. Surviving yet another cull have been my Shute
>> Books - including the one you mention. May read it now.

They're all a good read Rob. Beyond his early crime novels the themes of love, flying and Australia tend to recur. His social observation (see Ruined City) is remarkable and Mrs B whose Gaydar is far in advance of mine remarks on his description of male/male relationships. There is a fan club who meet around the world now and then and call themselves Shutists.

Requiem for a Wren is a lovely story but desperately sad; a lot of truth about the best years of one's life though. In the Wet, Round the Bend, The Chequerboard and Beyond the Black Stump are cracking reads without so much tragedy.

The Rainbow and the Rose is sad too but a damn good yarn.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 25 Dec 12 at 22:25
Just found "On the Beach" on YouTube.
 From Russia with love ??? - Dog
Wow! - d'you mean the original: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mxvx9gQ8k0
Indeed - a cracking film.
 From Russia with love ??? - Zero
That cutting is from "The tribune"
I figured that when I posted the picture as I re-read it. Commies !
 From Russia with love ??? - Crankcase
Used to listen to Radio Moscow English broadcasts as a kid in the seventies myself so not that arcane. Then would flip to Voice of America for the contrast.

Val Biro did some of the Jennings illustrations too. Good stuff.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 26 Dec 12 at 12:27
 From Russia with love ??? - Slidingpillar
For real contrast, Radio Tirana was tops (state broadcaster of Albania). Used to describe the USSR as bourgeois - easily the leftest viewpoint I ever found. Absolute giggle to listen to their descriptions of news events.

Lord knows how much power they ran, but with no friendly rebroadcasters and colossal fade levels, must have been a lot.
 From Russia with love ??? - CGNorwich
Radio Tirana?

Capitalist lick-spitals and runnings hyaenas of the war mongering western devils.

For the truth you need:

northkoreanradio.com/

From Russia with love ??? - Armel Coussine
>> Radio Tirana was tops (state broadcaster of Albania). Used to describe the USSR as bourgeois - easily the leftest viewpoint

It was good in other ways too. Enver Hoxha, first secretary and dictator for many years, was notorious for pulling out a shooter and drilling a fellow politburo member across the cabinet table for saying something annoying.

Chapeau! I wouldn't want to see our PM doing it, but the US president evidently needs to.
 From Russia with love ??? - Cliff Pope
Somewhere I have a book, probably picked up in a junk shop, stamped "British Embassy Library, Moscow".
Doubtless sold off in an economy drive to cut down on diplomats' perks.
 From Russia with love ??? - Alastairw
When culling the library you might like to try www.greenmetropolis.com/

You simply list your unwanted books by ISBN number then when someone buys it just post it off. Sales are not particularly rapid in my case - one book every few months - but they stay listed indefinitely and if they dont sell there is nothing to pay.
 From Russia with love ??? - Crankcase
Nice. Catch for me is many of the books I sell don't have an isbn, but still a useful resource. Ta.
Ditto - thanks for that sadly I see me acquiring more books now :-)
 From Russia with love ??? - Roger.
Buying secondhand books - www.awesomebooks.com
Cheaper than Green Metro for most "ordinary" fiction.
Latest Forum Posts