Non-motoring > An update of things - seen the doc Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 52

An update of things - seen the doc - RattleandSmoke
Just been to the see the doctor, it all happened rather quickly. From a casual telephone consultation to I want you in the surgery ASAP.

Anyway she thinks I have virus but my breathing and bad cough are not due to it, I don't have a chest infection so she thinks this morning when I was very bad, I had a bad asthma attack. Got a prescription for an inhaler. I had to do a breath test thing where they measure my breath output and I did quite badly on it.

Other than my severe cough, my flu symptoms have lessoned and I do fee a bit better.

I thought I would make a new thread rather than mention it on the mirror thread.
 An update of things - seen the doc - BeefyJed
Sounds like the infection I had 2 weeks ago, just about recovered now. At one stage my breathing was really bad and was tempted to go to A&E. But I didn't have a really high temperature and had inhaler from before.
The worst cold I've ever had!
Luckily she didn't think it was an infection but just a virus, and my breathing problems are asthma made worse by the virus. Apart from my severe cough I do feel better than I did yesterday. I think if it was proper flu I would not have been able to get out of bed to see the doctors :).
 An update of things - seen the doc - No FM2R
>> I had a bad asthma attack.

If you'd had a bad asthma attack then there wouldn't be any telephone call, she'd have been discussing it at your bedside.

Not that there are any good ones, but I take it that bad means severe.
 An update of things - seen the doc - Lygonos
If you take betablockers for your anxiety symptoms (propranolol or atenolol) now is the time to stop them.
 An update of things - seen the doc - Bigtee
What you need is several pints of ale and casual sex with a stranger (use a condom) and you will feel much better.!!
Trouble is you'll have to walk there because your car is far too dangerous to drive. And then you might not have the energy to walk back even if the pints of ale didn't prevent you.

You don't know where you could borrow a pink Lada I suppose?
 An update of things - seen the doc - Runfer D'Hills
Doctors are best avoided. They almost always tell you there's something wrong with you which of course makes you feel worse...

:-)
 An update of things - seen the doc - Dutchie
Depends Humph.My doctor is easy going Asian chappy I don't want to see him to often.My teeth are playing up time for a visit to the dentist again now they scare me.>:)
 An update of things - seen the doc - Dave_
>> What you need is several pints of ale and casual sex with a stranger

That'd sort me out a treat too...
 An update of things - seen the doc - Zero
>> >> What you need is several pints of ale and casual sex with a stranger
>>
>> That'd sort me out a treat too...

Dont forget the hot curry in that mix
 An update of things - seen the doc - CGNorwich
Well I guess that if Dave doesn't know Rattle and Rattle likes curry that's the problem sorted.

An update of things - seen the doc - swiss tony
>> >> I had a bad asthma attack.
>>
>> If you'd had a bad asthma attack then there wouldn't be any telephone call, she'd
>> have been discussing it at your hospital bedside.
Last edited by: swiss tony on Fri 28 Dec 12 at 06:40
 An update of things - seen the doc - VxFan
>> Anyway she thinks I have virus

Isn't that what you usually tell your customers?
Feeling a bit better today, going to try and have a bath. Still got an awful cough, fever and saw throat but it starting to feel more like a bad cold than flu now. Yesterday I was very bad after initially feeling a bit better on Thursday evening.

It is looking a lot like NYE is cancelled though :(
 An update of things - seen the doc - DP
My old doctor always said that it was easy to determine the difference between a cold and flu.

You are lying in bed. Someone leaves £100 in an envelope on your doorstep. If you are willing or able to retrieve it, it's not the flu.

Based on that, I reckon I've only had the flu once in my entire life.
For a about 12 hours yesterday I would have been incabple of getting out of bed for anything, That was the worst of it though, and the storm before the calm hopefully.

An update of things - seen the doc - Fursty Ferret
[Could a mod be so kind as to embed this image for me?]

img2.ranker.com/list_img/19540/339540/full/the-very-best-of-the-futurama-fry-meme.jpg?version=1356539424000
 An update of things - seen the doc - Haywain
Doctors - tcha! My last idiot GP always used to say (nasally), after pretending to listen to a list of symptoms, "Ah well, we've all got to die one day".

Three simple things that immediately fall to mind that he failed to diagnose in me, or take appropriate measures for, were:
1) A blocked ureter giving rise to acute (writhe around on the floor) renal colic.
2) A duodenal ulcer
3) Thumb basal joint arthritis

Needless to say, I was delighted when he retired. The surgery had the nerve to hold a whip-round for his retirement present; they may have raised enough to buy him a handkerchief.
Rattle - its just as well you're not a horse.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 29 Dec 12 at 16:30
 An update of things - seen the doc - Armel Coussine
>> its just as well you're not a horse.

Wheezing Showjumper 'Executed for Hypochondriasis'

(p. 16, Racing Times)

But I hope the Sheikh's condition is short-lived. It's horrible having to see people even with a cold.
 An update of things - seen the doc - Manatee
>> My old doctor always said that it was easy to determine the difference between a
>> cold and flu.
>>
>> You are lying in bed. Someone leaves £100 in an envelope on your doorstep. If
>> you are willing or able to retrieve it, it's not the flu.

Ours said something similar.

I had this discussion earlier today - the boss has had flu-type symptoms this week and had a couple of days completely out of action. She didn't call it flu, having had that properly about 40 years ago. I had flu when I was 14. Nearly 2 weeks in bed, and I lost about 3 days completely.
 An update of things - seen the doc - DP
>> I had flu when I was 14.
>> Nearly 2 weeks in bed, and I lost about 3 days completely.

I was a couple of years older, IIRC, but very similar effect and timeframe.

Flu is a serious illness that can be fatal. I recall this becoming quite believable at the time. The second scariest (behind glandular fever) illness that I've had .
 An update of things - seen the doc - Harleyman
>> Feeling a bit better today, going to try and have a bath. Still got an
>> awful cough, fever and saw throat but it starting to feel more like a bad
>> cold than flu now. Yesterday I was very bad after initially feeling a bit better
>> on Thursday evening.
>>
>> It is looking a lot like NYE is cancelled though :(
>>

I suspect half your health problems are caused by you being self-employed and living within easy reach of a medical centre; that is, if you feel crap you just trot off to the quack's instead of just getting on with life and not wishing to miss a day's pay like most of us have to.

Mrs HM spent most of yesterday evening "being political", that is to say she had a permanent seat in the cabinet. Didn't stop her getting up at 5am and doing a day's driving though, because she had no wish to either let her boss down or lose money. She suffes from asthma too BTW.

If you're busy, you don't have time to worry about being ill, which ends up making you worse; that's why the long-term unemployed are such a sickly lot.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 29 Dec 12 at 16:31
Yeah that would be brilliant, turning up to clients with blood shot eyes and sneezing and coughing every where. Oh and excuse me, can I loose your loo I just need to through up.

Believe me I have to work when I am ill, I can't afford to take any days off. I haven't physically being able to get out bed from Thursday evening till this morning. I am feeling a lot better but over the last few days I have as bad as I ever have done in my life, including recovering from operations and swine flu.
 An update of things - seen the doc - Haywain
"If you're busy, you don't have time to worry about being ill"

My take on the situation, having been employed in the private sector is:

If you're self-employed, then you daren't fall ill because you'll lose money (and possibly clients).

If you're employed in the private sector, you daren't be ill because you'll lose your job.

If you work in the public sector, then you don't give a toss because you're allowed a quota of 'sick days' per year anyway.
 An update of things - seen the doc - Runfer D'Hills
The first green thumb is mine Haywain. If I could have given you two I would have. Your post is bang on.

I've had two days off sick in my entire working life. That was on an occasion when I really couldn't get out of bed and even if I had I'd have frightened off anyone seeing me as I had chicken pox. Not to say I've not felt under the weather from time to time but circs always dictated a keep calm and carry on requirement.

One tip I was given long ago when I first went self employed was to take a strong dose of vitamin C every day. Most vitamin pills are fairly weak but you can get 500 something-or-other ones. Started taking those years ago and in fairness I really can't remember ever having more than an odd very occasional cold since. Might be coincidence of course. Keeping yourself reasonably fit helps a bit too in my opinion.

Having said that, I smoked like a trooper until relatively recently too but also excercised regularly. Yin / Yang thing a bit maybe !
 An update of things - seen the doc - Robin O'Reliant
>> Having said that, I smoked like a trooper until relatively recently too but also excercised
>> regularly. Yin / Yang thing a bit maybe !
>>
You've hit that square on, Humph. If your lungs can't take cigarette smoke, how can a tiny little microbe?
 An update of things - seen the doc - Harleyman
And the second one is mine; not saying I haven't ever been ill but most of the downtime I've had has been due to injury, and that in my Army days more than anything.

I'm sorry if I came across as harsh to you Rats but I do think you over-fuss at times. That's as bad for you as any virus.
 An update of things - seen the doc - Pat
The fourth one is mine.

If your thoughts were 'I'm sure I'll be better for New Years Eve' instead of 'New Years Eve is cancalled' it would be a start.

Pat
 An update of things - seen the doc - Duncan
>> The fourth one is mine.
>>

Someone has given it a scowly red face. What for?
 An update of things - seen the doc - Dog
>>Someone has given it a scowly red face. What for?<<

Probably from someone who works in the pubic sector.
>> Probably from someone who works in the pubic sector.
>>

And typed while they were off sick in agony with a slight headache ;-)
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Sun 30 Dec 12 at 10:27
Sympathy Rattle, rotten luck feeling carp over Christmas.

Maybe a lay-off from the beer would help a bit. Some people seem to be able to stay healthy while drinking gallons of beer on a regular basis. I'm not one of them, much as I love beer two or three pints at a time is my limit if I don't want to feel moody and under the weather.

How about a "positive thinking and moderation" resolution for the New Year? I wish you a happier and healthier one regardless.
You popped on here to tell us your poorly but can type away just fine. Get a grip lad pull your socks up and get out to work or as said earlier get to pub pull a moose & take her home for a right good seeing to. :-)
As long as he has a wash in the Bison first.
I wonder if he herd that.
Feeling a lot brighter today, still don't think I have the energy for NYE but hopefully tomorrow I will be ok. Now got to sort out all the dreaded phone calls.
 An update of things - seen the doc - sherlock47
>>>Now got to sort out all the dreaded phone calls<<<

opportunities,opportunities..........

This makes you sound a lot more suited to emplyment with your LA!
Last edited by: pmh on Sun 30 Dec 12 at 15:58
I meant dreading the opportunities I have missed. As it happens nothing more than a woman with a CD stuck in her drive, and a customer ringing to apologise for not getting back to me about his broken PC I have had on my bench for two weeks.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 31 Dec 12 at 00:48
>>As it happens nothing more than a woman with a CD stuck in her drive<<

Advise her to consider using a Dutch cap next time.
>> I meant dreading the opportunities I have missed. As it happens nothing more than a
>> woman with a CD stuck in her drive,

You tell her she needs a right good defragging (or something that rhymes with that)
>>
>>
>>
>> You tell her she needs a right good defragging (or something that rhymes with that)
>>

But make sure you're using anti virus software, some of these bugs are very difficult to get rid of. You don't want to leave a Trojan in there either.
>> Feeling a lot brighter today, still don't think I have the energy for NYE

It's not until tomorrow...you might be bounding about like a spring lamb by then!
Errr......
 An update of things - seen the doc - Crankcase
Only after some close reading did I realise what the dickens NYE was. I don't think I know anybody at all that actually does anything. We certainly never have, nor anyone in either family. Do people other than in tv land really do anything?

I think we should start a "illness thread" all post up our problems daily.

Excellent idea, you start.
 An update of things - seen the doc - swiss tony
>> I think we should start a "illness thread" all post up our problems daily.
>>

My stomach hasn't been totally behaving over Christmas, I'm sure its nothing to do with the excess food, drink, nuts and chocolate.....
Where shall I start ... Flu. ear infection/perforated eardrum, heart problem, knee problem, back/spinal problem, broken pelvis, gall bladder/pancreas problem, Cancer, Alzheimer's.

These are all family members - I'm sick of hearing about illness.
>> Where shall I start ...

In the correct thread might be a good idea.....

>> In the correct thread might be a good idea.....
>>

He's too ill to walk over.
Cough, cough, wheeze, sigh ... Aghhhhhhhhhh.
Latest Forum Posts