Non-motoring > Piers Morgan. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 38

Piers Morgan. - Dutchie
I have been following Piers on the gun debate in America and I have to admit I respect him for his courage to have a go.To have assult weapons at home to be able to fire more than 100 rounds a minute is crazy.What is up with these people are they so scared to live a normal live? I wonder if president Obama has the guts to change some of these gun laws in the states or is it up to a Brit to do something about it.
 Piers Morgan. - Ian (Cape Town)
The same Piers Morgan who was implicated up to his eyeballs in the City Slickers/Viglen Scandal? Fill your boots.
The same Piers who published fake pictures of alleged torture committed by UK soldiers on Iraquis, which led to further attacks on British soldiers?

Yeah, that prize prick...

Piers Morgan. - Dutchie
You think all soldiers are angels are you? Come on wake up and get in the real world.
 Piers Morgan. - Ian (Cape Town)
No, the soldiers aren't angels at all.
But they'll still take a bullet for the likes of you.
But to publish fake stuff, which will put their lives at risk, is just not on, is it?

And as far as the alleged insider-trading/stockmarket fraud goes? Oh, well, stockbrokers aren't angels either, are they?
 Piers Morgan. - Stuu
Piers Morgan is a waste of oxygen and his irritating manner doesnt benefit the side of any debate he decides to take. I would say the US can keep him but they dont want him either.
 Piers Morgan. - RattleandSmoke
He is nothing a Manchester Screwdriver and a hammer won't sort out. Oh wait didn't Jeremy Clarkson already see to that?
 Piers Morgan. - madf
Piers Morgan?

A hero...The US needs heroes...
 Piers Morgan. - Zero
The yanks prefer their heroes dead.
 Piers Morgan. - No FM2R
wouldn't make much difference to his entertainment value.
 Piers Morgan. - Robin O'Reliant
Morgan may be an odious creep, but this case says more about the mentality of a sizeable proportion of Americans than anything else.
 Piers Morgan. - Roger.
tinyurl.com/c4otx3r
 Piers Morgan. - -
He's got a nerve sticking his oar in, hope they hoof him out.

If we had proper gun laws here allowing the law abiding citizen to carry instead of just criminals i'd have something juicy for home defence.
 Piers Morgan. - madf
>> He's got a nerve sticking his oar in, hope they hoof him out.
>>
>> If we had proper gun laws here allowing the law abiding citizen to carry instead
>> of just criminals i'd have something juicy for home defence.
>>

I reiterate that I am terrified of burglars.

I therefore keep a cut down cricket bat to defend me from the bar stewards who have broken into my house - and no doubt are armed with a knife or worse.

It's called "reasonable force". I cannot help it if in my youth I lifted over 500lbs over my head - (she has lost weight sinc we married)
 Piers Morgan. - Zero
>>
>> If we had proper gun laws here allowing the law abiding citizen to carry instead
>> of just criminals i'd have something juicy for home defence.

And you know that such a utopia is not actually possible, if you got something juicy then someone else has something juicier.
 Piers Morgan. - Fenlander
Yep you got your assult rifle and this guy turns up...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T6ANbL3SMw (30sec in)
 Piers Morgan. - No FM2R
>>, if you got something juicy then someone else has something juicier.

Precisely. They come with a knife, because they think you've either got nothing or a bat.

If they think you've got a gun, do you think they won't come? Or that they'll just bring guns as well as coming mob handed?

Or do you believe that by some miracle this escalation will happen differently in the UK despite the evidence shown by the US, South Africa, Latin America and so many other places?

Having a nutter in your house with a knife is bad enough. Having several of them with guns is still considerably worse.

Most people think they would be Bruce Willis when the times comes. Sadly most of us would be something rather more scared.
 Piers Morgan. - Pat
Mark and Zero...the voice of reason.

Well said you two.

Pat
 Piers Morgan. - Dutchie
You surprise me Gordon so you want proper gun laws that will be like the States then. I'm glad I don't own a gun to tempting to use it on some of the morons i have come across.
 Piers Morgan. - Stuu
>> i'd have something juicy for home defence.<<

Ive got the wife :-)
 Piers Morgan. - VxFan

The Americans have started a petition to kick Piers Morgan out of the country. Meanwhile, a counter-campaign has been launched in Britain to refuse to take him back.

Maybe we can meet the Yanks halfway on this, and put him in the middle of the Atlantic.
 Piers Morgan. - Kevin
Only to be expected from Piers Morgan. He was already very close to getting the boot so the opportunity to stick his oar in and stir things up to try and rescue his ratings was too good to miss.
In my not so humble opinion he's a despicable little creep.

People also forget that the UK is not some firearm free-Utopia. There are plenty of gun owners in the UK and any one of you is entitled to own a firearm (including hunting rifles) if you have a valid reason and no history of mental problems.
 Piers Morgan. - Zero

>> People also forget that the UK is not some firearm free-Utopia. There are plenty of
>> gun owners in the UK and any one of you is entitled to own a
>> firearm (including hunting rifles) if you have a valid reason and no history of mental
>> problems.

Not quite as easy as you are painting it.
 Piers Morgan. - Kevin
>Not quite as easy as you are painting it.

Actually, it is.

All you need to provide is:

1. A valid reason for owning one, eg.

Membership of a club or permission to shoot over private land.

2. A character reference from someone in a professional occupation who has known you personally for a few years.

3. Permission for plod to request confirmation from your quack that you do not, or have not, suffered from mental problems like depression etc.

4. No (or irrelevant) criminal history.

5. Proof that you have secure (Police approved) storage.

If you satisfy those requirements plod cannot legally refuse you a license.
 Piers Morgan. - Robin O'Reliant
Still a lot harder than going from the thirteenth floor of your inner city tower block and buying an assault rifle in Walmart.
 Piers Morgan. - Zero
Indeed, exactly right and that is nowhere near as simplistic as you first said.

Not many people can make it past point 1

And then have you looked into what types of weapons it is possible to buy once you have a firearms certificate?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 27 Dec 12 at 22:40
 Piers Morgan. - Kevin
>Indeed, exactly right and that is nowhere near as simplistic as you first said.

>Not many people can make it past point 1

Eh? Why ever not? There are clubs all over the UK and plenty of land owners willing to give permission to responsible shooters.

>And then have you looked into what types of weapons it is possible to buy once you have a firearms certificate?

I already know.
 Piers Morgan. - No FM2R
So, Kevin, if I understand your point is that guns are as easy to obtain in the UK as they are in the US, that similar weapons are available and that any feelings of relative safety are misplaced?

CandUB was a word we used to use.
 Piers Morgan. - Kevin
>So, Kevin, if I understand your point is that guns are as easy to obtain in the UK as they
>are in the US, that similar weapons are available and that any feelings of relative safety
>are misplaced?

Naughty, naughty - go sit on the mat! I'll repeat my first post just to remind you.

"People also forget that the UK is not some firearm free-Utopia. There are plenty of gun owners in the UK and any one of you is entitled to own a firearm (including hunting rifles) if you have a valid reason and no history of mental problems."

My point was that there are more than 2 million registered guns in the UK. The grand total including illegal and prohibited guns is estimated to be over 4 million.

Guns are not as rare in the UK as many people believe.

>CandUB was a word we used to use.

Not one in my vocabulary, enlighten me.
 Piers Morgan. - Manatee

>> >CandUB was a word we used to use.
>>
>> Not one in my vocabulary, enlighten me.

complete and utter balderdash?
 Piers Morgan. - No FM2R
Kevin,

I'm shouting since it'll be difficult to hear me from the naughty mat on the steps.

The implication, or certainly what i inferred, was that the gun oriented issues in the UK were in some way comparable to those in the States.

They're not. But they soon would be if we loosened up ownership regulations here.

Certainly 4 million guns for a population of 60 million is not the same as whatever the ratio is in the US.

>>>CandUB
>>Not one in my vocabulary, enlighten me.

A general purpose term implying a lack of quality in a particular statement.
 Piers Morgan. - Kevin
>Kevin,

>I'm shouting since it'll be difficult to hear me from the naughty mat on the steps.

And you'll stay there until you repent - if Manatee is correct!

>The implication, or certainly what i inferred, was that the gun oriented issues in the UK
>were in some way comparable to those in the States.

What do you mean by "gun oriented issues in the UK"?
 Piers Morgan. - Zero

>> My point was that there are more than 2 million registered guns in the UK.
>> The grand total including illegal and prohibited guns is estimated to be over 4 million.

Kevin, you still haven't approached my point about gun types and bore.

A large proportion of those are shotguns, of the rest the majority is small bore .22. How many serious guns are there? (yes I know Shotguns and small bore can kill, but they are not seriously high capacity guns with magazines)
 Piers Morgan. - Armel Coussine
>> I know Shotguns and small bore can kill, but they are not seriously high capacity guns with magazines)

Ever seen a shortened Mossberg 12-bore pump Zero?

Not everyone has one of those of course. I'd go for 10-bore myself but have no need for such a thing. Sometimes wish I had though.
 Piers Morgan. - Kevin
>Kevin, you still haven't approached my point about gun types and bore.

Is this a quiz? Do you want me to quote or link to Section 5?

>A large proportion of those are shotguns, of the rest the majority is small bore .22. How
>many serious guns are there? (yes I know Shotguns and small bore can kill, but they are not
>seriously high capacity guns with magazines).

Shotguns account for about 1 million I believe.

These are legal in the UK:

www.gunmart.net/gun_review/ruger_gunsite_scout_rifle/

www.gunmart.net/guns_for_sale/16379/CMMG-MK4-Evolution-Rifle.html
 Piers Morgan. - Zero

>> These are legal in the UK:
>>
>> www.gunmart.net/gun_review/ruger_gunsite_scout_rifle/

Single shot. as per the regs

>> www.gunmart.net/guns_for_sale/16379/CMMG-MK4-Evolution-Rifle.html

Thats a .22 rim fire as they are the only calibre of self loading allowed.

As I said, not exactly killer spree or drive by shooting material are they

Come on your on a looser here. The UK gun laws are nowhere near being as liberal or free and easy as you are trying to make out. We wont go into the strict hand gun regs, that wont do your assertion any good at all.
 Piers Morgan. - Kevin
>Come on your on a looser here.The UK gun laws are nowhere near being as liberal or free and easy
>as you are trying to make out. We wont go into the strict hand gun regs, that wont do your
>assertion any good at all.

I'm not trying to make anything out. I've told you that legal, civilian owned-guns are not rare in the UK and exactly what hoops someone needs to jump through to get a license. I don't think those hoops are too onerous to negotiate.

Handguns are a completely different kettle of fish which is why you mention them of course. We can discuss UK handgun laws if you like but I think you'll find that my views are too close to your own for entertainment.
 Piers Morgan. - Zero

>> I already know.

Yes i already know too because I am a lapsed gun club member, at one of the Bisley clubs.

You usually have to be sponsored or have a referee to get into a gun club. Land owners are usually not that keen on people wandering over their land with guns (unless you pay them handsomely for the privilege).

And most gun clubs are pretty restricted in the range of ranges they have, most are pathetic and can only cope with small bore.

The suitable storage angle is as straight forward as you suggest either, for example Surrey police have a habit of rejecting gun cabinets screwed to the wall if the keys are kept in the house overnight.

It really isn't as easy as you were originally trying to suggest in your first post, as you well know. If you want a gun then yes you can get one but you need to be rational, intelligent committed and it cant be done on the spur of the moment.

And what about your choice of weapon type and caliber and where to buy it, you left out that bit.

(tho I have to say, there are some gun clubs where the members are a bit errr.. Gung ho.)
 Piers Morgan. - madf
My next door neighbour has three shotguns - all legal.

Great for foxes and magpies.
 Piers Morgan. - Dutchie
Why bother madf.Shooting a fox or magpie big deal.Shoot a rabbit for the pan makes sense.
Latest Forum Posts