Non-motoring > Old battery bin Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 30

Old battery bin - Rudedog
I've seen a couple of TV ads where they show batteries being thrown away before they are truly dead, they throw them into a clear plastic bin which I guess is collected for recycling, does anyone know where they are given out/sold?
 Old battery bin - rtj70
Are you wondering where to take old batteries for recycling? Anywhere selling batteries has to have a bin for disposing batteries. So your local Co-op, Tesco Express, etc. will take batteries. I doubt you can get a in where you get them collected.
 Old battery bin - CGNorwich
Yep anywhere where batteries are sold. Your local recycling centre (tip) will also take them.
 Old battery bin - Rudedog
I was really after the small plastic containers that I've seen that seem to be for domestic use, which when full I guess you take to the tip.
 Old battery bin - CGNorwich
Stick them in a jam jar.
 Old battery bin - Crankcase
We get little bags that fix to the blue bin, and you attach it when full. Gets picked up with the bin, and thy give you a new bag.

Old battery bin - R.P.
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/8320516867/in/set-72157631896359673

I have a pal who works in a Health and Safety role for a very large public authority. This is a photo he uploaded after a pre-Christmas incident - used batteries were stored in a plastic box supplied by the employer for re-cycling. Batteries must have shorted out in the box resulting in a minor fire.

Be very careful how you store them
 Old battery bin - Haywain
Struth - that pic is a bit scary - but thanks! I drop our used batteries into a plaggy bag in the bottom of the desk drawer before there's enough to take to the recycling dump. I'll have to look for something a bit safer now.
 Old battery bin - Old Navy
>> Struth - that pic is a bit scary - but thanks! I drop our used
>> batteries into a plaggy bag in....

......the garage, I too will have a rethink.
 Old battery bin - swiss tony
hmmm.... when you consider how many volts a box of batteries contain (even knackered ones) it does make you think just how safe that box really is.....
 Old battery bin - NortonES2
Looks like the box has had a small explosion? I've read (just) that 9volt batteries shorted out can set a fire going apparently. Mix with Li rechageables and pop. Something new every day.
 Old battery bin - R.P.
Not looked at the photo in any detail - isn't there a deceased 9ver on the floor ?
 Old battery bin - NortonES2
Yes, plus several squarish batteries on the bookcase which might be 9 volt type.
 Old battery bin - Haywain
I recall seeing a PP3 9v battery with its end blown off in my pile of old batteries; at the time, I didn't think any more about it. They're definitely going outside now!

I'll have rethink my pile of part-used batteries as well. I've quite a few part-used AAs from either a Canon compact camera, which seems to leave a lot of power remaining in batteries, or my mp3 recorder where I don't like to risk the batteries going down in the middle of a recording session. These old batteries seem to retain enough oomph to operate the keyboard/mouse/trackpad for the computer.
 Old battery bin - bathtub tom
A man after my own heart Haywain.

I can't understand these wastrels throwing away a battery that's got enough juice left in it to start a fire. I know just which appliances take what batteries when another won't.

SWMBO (bless her) can't understand why some clocks need the batteries replacing every few weeks.
 Old battery bin - Roger.
You are ALL model, recycling citizens!
 Old battery bin - madf
Rechargeables only here...
 Old battery bin - VxFan
>> I recall seeing a PP3 9v battery with its end blown off in my pile
>> of old batteries;

Bloke at work had a PP3 in his same pocket where he kept his lose change. One of the coins shorted out the terminals on the PP3 and the battery ended up burning his leg where it got so hot.

When disposing of batteries where the terminals are at the same end (PP3, PP6, etc) put a piece of tape across the top of it to help prevent the terminals getting shorted out against any other batteries in the same pot.
You don't need to bother doing that though with low voltage batteries where the terminals are at opposite ends to one another (e.g AAA, AA, C, & D cells)
 Old battery bin - Zero

>> You don't need to bother doing that though with low voltage batteries where the terminals
>> are at opposite ends to one another (e.g AAA, AA, C, & D cells)

Yes you do, they can easily short out in the bottom of a pile of batteries.
 Old battery bin - sooty123
I'd agree with zero, you should tape them up if you're going belt and braces, we used to have to put a piece of tape on both ends of all batteries before they went in the battery bin.
 Old battery bin - VxFan
>> Yes you do, they can easily short out in the bottom of a pile of batteries.

How? The terminals are at opposite ends to one another, and the output current is so small (non rechargable), even less if nearly/totally flat, and if in the unlikely event one did short out there wouldn't be enough power to fry a gnats tadger.
 Old battery bin - Zero
>> >> Yes you do, they can easily short out in the bottom of a pile
>> of batteries.
>>
>> How? The terminals are at opposite ends to one another,

Its mixed in a lot of metal cased batteries.

and the output current is
>> so small (non rechargable), even less if nearly/totally flat, and if in the unlikely event
>> one did short out there wouldn't be enough power to fry a gnats tadger.

Ever seen the discharge current of a U2?
 Old battery bin - VxFan
>> Its mixed in a lot of metal cased batteries.

At work we dispose of 30 to 50+ batteries weekly. I've yet to see a battery with terminals at opposite ends to each other short out when having an orgy with 30 to 50 others in the same pot.

>> Ever seen the discharge current of a U2?

What, a flat or nearly flat one? Yes, it's next to nothing.
Who in their right mind would be throwing away one that isn't flat or not have enough juice left to power anything?
 Old battery bin - Runfer D'Hills
What do you make at your place then Dave? Sort of "toys" or what?

:-)
 Old battery bin - VxFan
We issue out loads of hand held portable equipment (no, not the sort that goes buzz in the night).
 Old battery bin - Zero
>> >> Its mixed in a lot of metal cased batteries.
>>
>> At work we dispose of 30 to 50+ batteries weekly. I've yet to see a
>> battery with terminals at opposite ends to each other short out when having an orgy
>> with 30 to 50 others in the same pot.

how do you know?

>> >> Ever seen the discharge current of a U2?
>>
>> What, a flat or nearly flat one? Yes, it's next to nothing.
>> Who in their right mind would be throwing away one that isn't flat or not
>> have enough juice left to power anything?
>
because they are frequently use din multiples, and changed in multiples, and frequently one may well have charge left in it.

But hey, you know best, no chance of it happening in dave world so thats ok. Dont expect me to pee on you if you are on fire.
 Old battery bin - VxFan
Look, if it's been approved and agreed by the Fire Officer, the SHE manager, Uncle Tom Cobley and all, that we don't need to isolate certain types of battery then that's good enough for me ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 29 Dec 12 at 21:01
 Old battery bin - Manatee
>> Look, if it's been approved and agreed by the Fire Officer, the SHE manager, Uncle
>> Tom Cobley and all,

So was the Titanic.
 Old battery bin - R.P.
The fire in that picture was in an er...Fire Station by the way ! :-)
 Old battery bin - Old Navy
Dangerous places fire stations. :-)

tinyurl.com/d59gntu
 Old battery bin - VxFan
>> because they are frequently use din multiples, and changed in multiples, and frequently one may well have charge left in it.

Good job we put them on the battery tester before disposal then. Any that are still ok, we re-use.
Latest Forum Posts