Non-motoring > Need a new landline phone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 22

Need a new landline phone - Ted

Our landline is cable, through Virgin Media and then into a cordless phone. It has a caller display, and answerphone. We have 4 handsets but three will do. The one in the garage is rarely used as the office always ring my mobile.

The trouble with this current set of phones is....

Need more volume....callers very faint. No way in handbook to increase.
No bleep for message received.....just a small flashing light. Don't always look.
Caller display in a stupid spidery font...need something more robust to the eyes.

So, any ideas from you lot of experts out there in la-la land. This one came from Argos, I think. A good place to buy would be appreciated as well.

Ted
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 29 Dec 12 at 14:36
 Need a new phone - Old Navy
You can't go far wrong with a Panasonic phone.
 Need a new phone - Haywain
Like ON, we've got a Panasonic set-up; ours is about 5 years old and has 3 handsets with a base unit/answerphone. It's been pretty good, BUT, like the phones that Ted describes, it doesn't bleep to tell you that it has a new message (our previous phone did), and you don't always notice the small red light; rather annoying!
 Need a new phone - VxFan
>> Like ON, we've got a Panasonic set-up
>> it doesn't bleep to tell you that it has a new message and you don't always notice the small red light

But it should also show on the display that there is a message, along with another symbol showing how many missed calls.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 29 Dec 12 at 14:39
"But it should also show on the display that there is a message, along with another symbol showing how many missed calls."

True, there is a small symbol on the handset display but the point is that an audible bleep is far more likely to immediately catch your attention if you've been out of the house when a call has come in.

I say this from experience.
 Need a new phone - VxFan
>> an audible bleep is far more likely to immediately catch your attention if you've been
>> out of the house when a call has come in.

If I didn't have time to check the messages the moment I got home, then the audible bleep would get on my wick. Sooner just have a visual reminder and/or one bleep.
 Need a new phone - Dog
>>Sooner just have a visual reminder and/or one bleep<<

^ I'm with this geezer.
" and/or one bleep."

And when do you think that the 'one bleep' should sound. Ten seconds after it senses that you've got in through the front door, or should it wait and bleep when you've made a cup of tea and been to the loo? It'd be a devil if it waited until you were in the loo and you missed it ;-)

I can tell you, we never missed a message when the old one bleeped; but messages can sit on the new one unnoticed for several days. A small annoyance, and not sufficient for a tight git like me to change it, though!

No, no, no, I can get far more steamed up about such things as the honours system! I'm surprised that there hasn't been a thread about that yet :-)
 Need a new phone - bathtub tom
>>No, no, no, I can get far more steamed up about such things as the honours system! I'm surprised that there hasn't been a thread about that yet :-)

Surely you can't mean such worthy recipients as Tracey Emin, Cherie Blair and Kate Bush?

What's the symbol for norovirus?
 Need a new phone - VxFan
>> I can tell you, we never missed a message when the old one bleeped; but
>> messages can sit on the new one unnoticed for several days.

Should've gone to Spec Savers ;)
 Need a new phone - Duncan
Odd? I replied to Ted's post and it has vanished! Hey ho, try again.

Which? recommend the Siemens Gigaset range of phones, but they are quite pricey. They also recommend the Panasonic KX TG6481, which is rather more reasonably priced.

We have used, at home, for a number of years the BT Paragon 500 as our wired 'base station' with a couple of BT (made by Siemens?) Diverse 4000 Classic handsets for the walk-about calls. These have served us well. Whether these can still be purchased, I don't know.
 Need a new phone - Dog
I've gorn over to semen's giggle set, used to always be a Panacynic, both good cordless phones IMO.
 Need a new phone - sherlock47
Make sure that you have a hardwired phone for possible emergency use as your main phone. Power cuts, fire etc
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 29 Dec 12 at 12:16
 Need a new phone - Roger.
Loads on eBay.
We bought a set of Panasonic, inc. answering facility, from sonic-phones on eBay in 2008 when we were living in Spain.
Worked well there: working well here!
 Need a new phone - Bromptonaut
We're satisfied Gigaset users too. Base plus three cordless handsets. There is an answering machine function but we've never used it as we have BT 1571.

Good missed call function as each handset flashes red under the end call button. Pretty easy to see as soon as we walk through the door. Don't know how it is for your sight though Ted, script on sum-menus is very small.
 Need a new phone - Armel Coussine
We too have Gigaset, four handsets. Lots of features most of which I don't know how to use. But the internal call facility can be handy.

The things seem to work very well despite reception glitches here and there, common to all cordless phones. No complaints at all. The only problem is nippers taking them away and forgetting where they are, or adults mixing the handsets up so internal calls go to the wrong place.
 Need a new phone - Ted

So far, so good...thanks. Just had a look on Fleabay. What about this...

Says nowt about an answerphone ' beep ' but I'm going to move the base station, anyway. ATM it's on the window ledge behind the curtain...hence difficulty in picking up calls as soon as we get in.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Siemens-Gigaset-C595-Trio-Cordless-Phone-Energy-Saving-Eco-Dect-Technology-New-/390464319806?pt=UK_MobilePhones_HomePhones_HomePhones_JN&hash=item5ae97cb13e

Ted
 Need a new phone - Stuartli
Panasonic...:-) Mine will also allow updating of new contacts/phone numbers to the matching satellite phones upstairs and in the kitchen from the main phone.
 Need a new phone - Dog
Deesa good Teddy, pricey though:

www.cordless-phones.uk.com/cordless-phones/multihandset-answering-machine/siemens-gigaset-s795-trio
 Need a new phone - Harleyman
Another vote here for Panasonic. Had mine for about 8 years, only just replaced the rechargeable batteries a couple of weeks ago as one handset wasn't recharging too well.

As an aside; I don't suppose you suffer power cuts very often in Manc-land, but it kills a cordless set of course and its a darn nuisance. We were without power for about 36 hours after the recent house fire, so I bought a cheap Argos large-button phone or less than a fiver IIRC and keep it reasonably to hand. Had a couple kicking around at one time but inevitably they end up buried in the shed, or chucked out as we think we'll never need them.

What's that definition of "junk" again?
 Need a new phone - Armel Coussine
>> I don't suppose you suffer power cuts very often in Manc-land, but it kills a cordless set of course and its a darn nuisance.

We don't often get them, but when we do it's a terrible damn nuisance. It's even worse here because we don't get mobile reception in the house and it's a bit iffy even outside. We are more dependent on electricity than is strictly comfortable although we can go a day or two without the house getting cold.

We had a cheapo plug-in phone but it's vanished. Keep meaning to get another.
 Need a new phone - swiss tony
Junk - Items that were once useful, but have long since passed into disuse.
Will remain useless, whilst in storage, but will become useful around 2 weeks after permanent disposal.
 Need a new phone - Bigtee
Panasonic here too 2x phones had them 5 yrs batteries still good cordless & answer machine.

Latest Forum Posts