Non-motoring > Ceramic Hob cleaning. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 48

Ceramic Hob cleaning. - R.P.
Had one in the old place a Creda - nothing special but it always came up clean with a propriety cleaner. Our new house has a newer version - made by Stoves - it's a beggar to keep clean with the same cleaner - any recommendations ?
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Old Navy
Ours stays clean with a wipe from a damp cloth after every use, (so I am told).
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Runfer D'Hills
Take away fish and chips?

:-)

But seriously, a little olive oil on a bit of paper kitchen towel. Polish it 'till dry.
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - -
Lidl, if they still sell it, possibly same product at Aldi or Netto?

W5 Glass Ceramic Cleaner, comes in 300ml black plastic bottle, as is the case with most W5 branded cleaners it does the job well and far cheaper than the competition, but their range seems to be diminishing daily shower cleaner was excellent thats vanished.
The boss used hob cleaner (probably T Cut in an expensive bottle) on our previous ceramic hob but has only ever used a damp cloth on the current one. Probably because it is an induction hob where the surface does not get very hot.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 31 Dec 12 at 11:57
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - -
Obviously not as absent minded as my SWM then Navy, induction here too but its got very hot at times when she puts things on and clears off, how she didn't burn the house down last year when she put some oil in the pan to fry off onions then left it on full blast reducing the white kitchen to a smoke filled blackened mess, i'll never know.
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Fullchat
Blade type scraper to get the heavy duty burnt on spills off followed by Doktor Power (a paste similar to a light rubbing compound) which gets rid of stubborn deposits and then a polish off with one of the liquid ceramic hob cleaners.
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Rudedog
I've always used Hob Brite, it's great for ceramic hobs & glass, I'm sure the one you would need comes in an orange bottle and isn't too expensive.

Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Dog
Have a look in Poundland for some Spanish archer grease.
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Pat
I don't have that problem, mine looks lovely and shiny...I don't cook.

Pat
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Zero
>> I don't have that problem, mine looks lovely and shiny...I don't cook.

Can opener's in a right old state tho.
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Fursty Ferret
>> >> I don't have that problem, mine looks lovely and shiny...I don't cook.
>>
>> Can opener's in a right old state tho.
>>

Don't even mention the microwave... :-D
Can you get 24v Microwaves, Pat?
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Pat
Yes, it's an essential piece of equipment in a lorry cab too.

Just as the fridge is!

Pat
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - CGNorwich
Many years ago we had a ceramic hob. We also had an electric deep fat fryer which had a plastic outer case. Due to lack of space use to keep this on the back of the hob.

Since my wife used to work on Saturday I used to cook the dinner ready for her return. I managed of course to switch on the wrong ring on the hob.

Being distracted by something - the football results I believe, I didn't notice and the fryer began to melt and distort sending a stream of beige, lava like molten plastic over the hob and dripping onto the floor and and the same time emitting acrid black smoke. As it collapsed and tilted over the oil within cascaded out and caught fire

Of course it was then that the doorbell rang and my wife arrived.
And your pools didn't come up.
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Roger.
That's not the only thing which failed to come up for a good long time, I bet!
Tee Hee CG ! Some years, well, quite a lot of years ago now come to think of it, I was "invited" to do the washing and ironing one day while my wife was at work. Well, I didn't know that her silk blouses wouldn't enjoy being boil washed and subsequently tumble dried did I ? Furthermore, in case anyone here should be tempted to try to resurrect such items back to their intended size and shape by then attempting to hot iron them I strongly advise them not to....

OK, it cost me the price of a couple of garments and a bunch of flowers but the upside is that I have never been required or indeed permitted to use either the washing machine or the iron since...

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Mon 31 Dec 12 at 14:41
"I have a cunning plan" no, not Baldrick - Humph D'Bout, it was !!
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Fursty Ferret
>> Tee Hee CG ! Some years, well, quite a lot of years ago now come
>> to think of it, I was "invited" to do the washing and ironing one day
>> while my wife was at work. Well, I didn't know that her silk blouses wouldn't
>> enjoy being boil washed and subsequently tumble dried did I ? Furthermore, in case anyone
>> here should be tempted to try to resurrect such items back to their intended size
>> and shape by then attempting to hot iron them I strongly advise them not to....
>>
>> OK, it cost me the price of a couple of garments and a bunch of
>> flowers but the upside is that I have never been required or indeed permitted to
>> use either the washing machine or the iron since...
>>
>>
>>

Reminds me of some temporary housemates at uni who loved cooking but also liked a bit of weed. Actually, a lot of weed. Their best trick was to put something on the hob to cook, get stoned, and fall asleep. Cue house full of black smoke, hob ruined, fire-brigade tramping through the place etc.

Once isn't really forgiveable but blow me if they managed to do it TWICE before we got rid of them.
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Falkirk Bairn
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EASY-DO-Ceramic-Halogen-Hob-CLEANER-CONDITIONER-/170552167738?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item27b5b38d3a

Excellent, lifts anything and everything. Lasts us about 3+ years
Hi thanks for the tips - have used the Hob Brite stuff before - successfully on the old hob, not so on the new one. No Olive Oil here at the moment - dropped down into town focusing on the Aldi/Lidl triangle...nothing doing. So I'm going to opt for FB's suggestion and see how it goes. Need to go into town later may get some olive oil at the same time.
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - legacylad
We sell an HG ceramic hob cleaner where I work. Very favourable reports.
What's it called ?
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - legacylad
We sell both HG Ceramic Hob Cleaner as a spray, and HG Ceramic Thorough Cleaner as a pour out liquid.
Not sure of prices because we are closed today, but doubtless available on Amazon (i shouldn't really say that!)
Ta. Try out HB's recommendation first.
Something to consider for anyone buying a ceramic hob, we have had one with control knobs and also metal trim around the edge. Our current one is just a flat sheet of glass with touch controls and no trim, it is much easier to to keep clean with no dirt traps.
Good idea - the knobs are off at the moment here...
Olive Oil has worked a treart. Far better than the Hob Brite we had here. Nice shiny grease free surface. Ta' Humph.
Works on woks too.
you have a ceramic Wok? thats classy.
Classy isn't really the word I'd use to describe my wok. It's steel and came from a chinese supermarket in Soho a very long time ago. It rusts if left unused for any length of time but a scrape round with paper kitchen towel and a drop of olive oil and its like new. Heavy thing, could potentially be used as an impromptu close combat weapon I often think.
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - CGNorwich
Bought a new wok recently. The ordinary carbon steel ones are best. You need to season them. First you heat them up until the steel takes a bluish tinge. Then you ads some oil and heat it until it carbonises and goes black being sure to coat all the wok. You will be left with a surface that is completely smooth and non stick. Far better to cook with than the fancy teflon coated ones.
I'd ordered this before trying the Olive Oil option - this has now removed the stubborn bits of baked on stuff. Now pristine. Better than the Hob Brite we had - that was very watery. Case closed - thanks
Tried the olive oil on the (previously streaky) brushed aluminium front facia and trim on the cooker, brought it up a treat. Its a real eye opener.
Try that later eh !
I've told you before but it seems you need to be reminded. I am almost always right. My wife forgets that simple rule too mind you so why should anyone else be expected to remember?

:-))
>> Tried the olive oil on the (previously streaky) brushed aluminium front facia and trim on
>> the cooker, brought it up a treat. Its a real eye opener.
>>

WD40 works well, too. (A tip from our kitchen fitter)
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Ian (Cape Town)
>> >> Reminds me of some temporary housemates at uni

I recall one silly bint who was a housemate coming into the lounge one day to ask if anyone had a light for the gas stove, saw what was on the telly - "I love this song!" - and then wandered out again a few minutes later.
You guessed it - the gas had been running all along.
Fortunately the back door was open - i'm sure there'd have been some serious damage had the gas not poured over the back step.
as it was, half the hall carpet was flash-scorched, as were her feet.
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - WillDeBeest
I ought to be able to offer some useful advice here, since our house when we bought it in 2010 had the original 1970s kitchen and a ceramic-topped Creda freestander complete with its original manual, stamped 1985.

What did I learn? Not much about cleaning but one big lesson about the heating properties of ceramics: two weeks in, the family requested home-made burgers and I put a griddle pan on to heat up. As I was seasoning and shaping the burgers there was a loud bang; the glass top had cracked right across and, more annoyingly, so had my 15-year-old cast iron pan.

We had a few testing months with a two-ring electric plug-in hob until our new cooker arrived. Gas hob on that one.
A vote here for induction hobs.
We broke the old ceramic hob inherited with the house, but re-used it in our new kitchen.
A large and heavy cook's knife dropped on it( by me) and left a huge crack. Luckily it was covered on the insurance policy and after a written quote, a payout was agreed.
Our nice kitchen fitter put in a Fagor induction hob, with which we are delighted. Our saucepans and large frying pan were all stainless steel, but we did have to buy a small S/S frying pan.
The hob is SO easy to clean - perfectly flat and with touch controls, and no edging. A quick squirt with kitchen spray (ALDI in our case), a wipe over with a disposable washing up cloth, (ALDI again) and a dry off with kitchen paper (yep!) and it sparkles like new.
I cannot recommend induction hobs too highly: VERY quick to heat up and cool down, touch controls (with a built-in hob timer in ours, which is so useful for simmering stuff without having to remember to turn it off after a time).
Err ... I thought a ceramic hob WAS an induction hob.

^_^
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - Alanovich
All induction hobs are ceramic, but not all ceramic hobs are induction.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass-ceramic

Edit: I've had an induction hob for a year now, and will never go back to conventional electric, nor gas. It's brilliant, as Roger describes. Even my Mother with Victorian-is-best tendencies is about to buy one.
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 2 Jan 13 at 15:48
Much obliged guv'nor - that's two things I've learnt today (oysters are eaten alive' apparently)

:}
Interesting..
I like gas hobs. They still work during power cuts.
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - bathtub tom
>> I like gas hobs. They still work during power cuts.

I had to point out to SWMBO it could be lit with the igniter I use for the BBQ (the hob's mains powered spark ignition) - bless her!

Similarly with land-line 'phones. I suppose our dependence on mobiles have made hard wired 'phones almost redundant (until the mobile needs charging).
You can do it with a fag lighter or a match too if you're quick...Gets unwanted hair off the backs of your hands too. Not that I'm suggesting that Mrs T has hairy hands !
 Ceramic Hob cleaning. - bathtub tom
>> Not that I'm suggesting that Mrs T has hairy hands !

Nah, she's got Hobbit feet!
Latest Forum Posts