Non-motoring > Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 12   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 103

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 12 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 13 *****

Volume 12 - NO CARS :-)

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 11 is here
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 8 Jul 13 at 01:17

Another flying Lancaster ! - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20886684

Another flying Lancaster ! - henry k
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20886684
>>
East Kirby is well worth a visit.
Where else can you easily get almost within touching distance of a Lancaster with all four engines running.
All the original buildings are still nearby with lots and lots of displays of life at the time when the war was on.

Another flying Lancaster ! - Manatee
I see one can book a VIP day with a ride in the Lanc for £298. Well worth considering, I'm very tempted. Maybe I can have it as a 60th birthday present this year.

Another flying Lancaster ! - Slidingpillar
Not sure this story is 100% accurate in respect of the flying condition. It has been reported before too.

I had heard from somewhere, so I'm not sure of the accuracy that there is a structural problem that prevents a certificate of airworthiness being granted. Hope this is codswallop and it will take to the skies again.

Another flying Lancaster ! - No FM2R
It pops up about every two years.

www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-334702.html

Another flying Lancaster ! - Pat
I once spent a night on the airfield at East Kirby after loading out of one of the huge sheds they use for storage.

The loaders took great delight in telling me the airfield is haunted....I believed them and didn't sleep a wink all night!

Pat

Another flying Lancaster ! - Bromptonaut
Official news here:

www.lincsaviation.co.uk/about/NX611-Just-Jane-Return-to-Flight.htm

A long term project with an unclear chance of success.

The Vulcan is a magnificent sight but I wonder if all that money could have been better spent on smaller projects such as this and Mike Collet's collection at Coventry. Would love to see the Twin Pin ambling around ther locality again.

Another flying Lancaster ! - Zero
>> Official news here:
>>
>> www.lincsaviation.co.uk/about/NX611-Just-Jane-Return-to-Flight.htm
>>
>> A long term project with an unclear chance of success.
>>
>> The Vulcan is a magnificent sight but I wonder if all that money could have
>> been better spent on smaller projects such as this

If you have been under the vulcan roaring angrily at you you will know the answer is NO. Its been worth every cent. Catch it this year for the last time.

Another flying Lancaster ! - Bromptonaut
>> If you have been under the vulcan roaring angrily at you you will know the
>> answer is NO. Its been worth every cent. Catch it this year for the last
>> time.

I have been on several occasions but remain unconvinced.

Another flying Lancaster ! - Manatee
The Arts Council spends £600m a year. Much of that is unnecessary. It's a fact that when funding is increased, costs go up, and when funding declines, they reduce and private funding tends to increase.

A good few years ago I shared a table at a wedding party with a freelance theatre director. He had recently been working with the Royal Opera House. He was appalled that over a million pounds worth of sets had been built and then rejected, essentially because the available funding allowed for another go at satisfying the famous director who was unhappy with the first lot.

The National Theatre, RSC, Royal Opera House and ENO got over £6m between them in November alone. A few quid at the Vulcan instead wouldn't be unreasonable. I don't especially dislike theatre and opera, it's just an example of what very large amounts are spent on.

Dreamliner woes - smokie
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20942484

I think I'll wait till release 2 :-)

Dreamliner woes - John H
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20942484
>>
>> I think I'll wait till release 2 :-)
>>

It has the potential to do enormous financial damage to Boeing as well as the airlines which have ordered it (due to direct and indirect loss of revenue).

Dreamliner woes - henry k
Suggestions that it might be batteries.
Lots of concerns about batteries in cargo carried on aircraft.
Youtube has lots of clips of batteries igniting.
Surprising difficult to deal with a laptop fire in the cabin.
e.g. IIRC instinctive to use water to put out the flames but piling icecube on top can make things worse.
I am certainly more concerned on any long haul flights as to what is in the cargo.

Dreamliner woes - bathtub tom
This year's Royal Institution Christmas lectures showed an interesting experiment where a burning torch was taken into a room containing just 15% oxygen. The torch went out while the presenter continued yakking on.

There's been lots of adverse comment about the poor quality of air in aircraft cabins, but what's the oxygen content? Could it be a good excuse for keeping oxygen low?

AFAIK only cargo holds containing live animals are pressurised and heated, so there's not much chance of a fire, usually.

Dreamliner woes - henry k
>>AFAIK only cargo holds containing live animals are pressurised and heated, so there's not much chance of a fire, usually.

Whole aircraft is pressurised. Heating is optional.
If you are worried then avoid the Youtube items.:-(

Dreamliner woes - Kevin
>This year's Royal Institution Christmas lectures..

I love watching those.

>an interesting experiment where a burning torch was taken into a room containing just 15% oxygen.

The computer hall at the customer site where I work has an Inergen fire suppression system to create those conditions. The training and video about what to do if the thing goes off while you're in there was interesting but not something I'd like to experience first hand.

Dreamliner woes - Old Navy
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20942484
>>
>> I think I'll wait till release 2 :-)
>>

Is that the facelift model. :-)

Dreamliner woes - zookeeper
aircraft are pressurised to the equivelent outside pressure that would be at around 8000 ft
if they were pressurized at normal sea level pressures they would burst at high cruising altitudes

Dreamliner woes - R.P.
Wasn't the Everglades crash traced to a battery igniting in the hold..?

>> Wasn't the Everglades crash traced to a battery igniting in the hold..?
>>

I think that one was an oxygen generator, (box of), in the hold. They were the ones used for the drop down masks in the cabin, they burn very hot ans cannot be extinguished, they just burn out. Submarines have a bigger version for emergency use, a couple of guys were killed a while back while testing one.

Dreamliner woes - Bromptonaut
There were two Everglades crashes, this was presumably the second involving a Value Jet DC9 . Oxygen generators stored in the hols allowed fire to spread.

The first was in the seventies and involved and Eastern Tristar. Crew pre occupied with a problem failed to monitor altitude.

I have just checked Wiki, it was the DC9 that was brought down by oxygen generators in the hold as cargo.

Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 8 Jan 13 at 19:45

LU 150 Steam on the underground. - Zero
Someone on here asked about how smokey it got in the old days.

Last nights test run

vimeo.com/57117436

LU 150 Steam on the underground. - Focusless
Nice pics in Tuesday's Mail article 'Tunnelling into history: Amazing images show London houses being demolished to make way for the Tube in 1863, the world's first underground railway'
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2259177/London-Underground-Amazing-images-houses-demolished-Tube-1863.html
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 10 Jan 13 at 09:02

LU 150 Steam on the underground. - sherlock47
I still remember (as a 10yr old) when treated to 'a day in the office' the steam trains running on the Kings Cross (York Rd) Moorgate Branch. Cut and cover and VERY smokey! Going North the trains would often slip coming up the slope into KX just short of the tunnel exit, and the smoke on the platform would resemble any good night club enviroment. That clip looks like good clean steam - not black murky stuff.
Last edited by: pmh on Thu 10 Jan 13 at 09:05

LU 150 Steam on the underground. - R.P.
Just watched the vid - triggered a memory - a strip cartoon in Buster comic in the 60s - Charlie Peace - and a storyline that involved a steam powered underground train...
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 10 Jan 13 at 16:51

Oh Dear, LU shunted Metropolitan Line Bo-Bo Electric Locomotive Number 12, Sarah Siddons, into the shed at Lille Road depot ready for the show this weekend, alas the shed roof was too low..... Sarah now has a sore head

>> I still remember (as a 10yr old) when treated to 'a day in the office'
>> the steam trains running on the Kings Cross (York Rd) Moorgate Branch. Cut and cover
>> and VERY smokey! Going North the trains would often slip coming up the slope into
>> KX just short of the tunnel exit, and the smoke on the platform would resemble
>> any good night club enviroment. That clip looks like good clean steam - not black
>> murky stuff.

My father used to drive steam trains through the snow hill tunnel and into the underground smithfield depot. The meat was smoked alive!

New Autogiro/autocopter - Meldrew
I saw one of these displaying at the East Lincs Aviation Heritage Centre (East Kirkby). Very slick design, very well flown and a fine looking device

tinyurl.com/awdq7n4
``
Thank goodness for tinyurl The original URL was 4860 symbols!

New Autogiro/autocopter - Focusless
>> tinyurl.com/awdq7n4
>> ``
>> Thank goodness for tinyurl

...but it doesn't work for me :(

New Autogiro/autocopter - Meldrew
You are SO right! I will try again or post the biggy! This should work - it is to a page of images rather than an individual one

tinyurl.com/aznqv52
Last edited by: Meldrew on Thu 10 Jan 13 at 11:20

Derailed and caught fire - Zero
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-train-fire-derailed-heritage-1237448

Poor old Class 47 no 500 derailed and caught fire today. It was hauling some Mk1 coaching stock to Carnforth that had been re-tyred. I have filmed 47500 quite a few times in the last year on the back of various steam excursions, and it has quite a history. Possibly a write off.

Coming home - Ted

Interesting documentary, 47 minutes for the insomniacs.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBozymv2QrU

Ted

Horizon Documentary - railway Safety - Zero
Horizon in its heyday could always be relied upon to provide some entertaining and informative documentaries. Here is a classic of its genre, some seriousness, some gritty black humour and irony, and being from 1972 is hopelessly out of date with its technical conclusions and future but enjoyable none the less.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxpBzGCKA0w&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Horizon Documentary - railway Safety - Crankcase
I have a real soft spot for Horizon in its heyday. A great find Zero, especially as there's no mention that it's Horizon at all in the metadata. Watched it now and whilst not really my subject, enjoyed it. I'd watch pretty much anything Paul Vaughan narrated though.

Thanks.

Preserved Electric Locos - Bromptonaut
Recent items in Railway Press suggest future outlook for preserved AC electric locos including 86 401 'Northampton Town' is poor.

www.electric-traction.co.uk/news.php

Insufficient charter or spot hire trade to keep them exercised on main line and impending costs to fit upgraded cab radio uneconomic to fund. No heritage railway as AC catenary for undertandable reasons.

Done more miles than I care to remember behind 86 and 87 classes. Great pity if they never get up to speed on main line again.

Preserved Electric Locos - Zero
Great locos, the cost to fit GSMR tho is a red herring, its not that dear or difficult and being fitted to most other heritage locos.

Problem is the "fuel". Much of Network Rail permanent way that goes to interesting and historic places has no OHLE, let alone preserved and heritage lines.
And of course no "cachet" to most, seen as the motive units that displaced more loved Diesel and Steam. And its this lack of flexibility and interest that has doomed them.

! - Zero
A nice pair of Saddle Tanks.

www.flickr.com/photos/56047316@N03/7077417777/

Now you know why I go gricing.....

! - Dog
How old do you reckon he was?

Just asking.

! - crocks
In Dog years?

! - Dog
It's a dog's life!

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 12 - Chas
Shameless plug for something I am involved in as a volunteer:

Sunday 26th May 2013

Bruntingthorpe Cold War Jets Day at Bruntingthorpe, Leics just off J20 M1. LE17 5QS

www.bruntingthorpeaviation.com/open-days/

We will be taxiing most of the aircraft collection: Nimrod, Lightning, Comet, Victor, Buccaneers, Canberra, Hunter, Jet Provost, L29 and Iskra. (All subject to serviceability)

Static aircraft: Super Guppy, Sea Vixen, VC10.

Spitfire flypast (very weather dependent)

Gates open 0900, first run at 1100

Admission: £15 Adults, Senior Citizens / Disabled £10, Accompanied Children 16 & under Free

Ear defenders or ear plugs strongly recommended as the crowdline is much closer to the action than a normal air show.

French railway find - Mike Hannon
Does the name Longueville mean anything to railway fans on here? Zed?
I was in Ile de France a few days ago and followed a tiny sign attached to a giant railway viaduct, about 60km south of Paris. I drove through a village and up a steep lane to find, to my amazement, a former SNCF express loco depot and working roundhouse, now apparently a volunteer-run museum.
It was, of course being France, closed but I could see odd glimpses of locos, including some steam, in the shed and the yard was full of old Pullman and other international express sleeper cars in various states of restoration/dilapidation.
I'd just be interested to know what on earth a depot like that was doing in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere and whether this museum is well-known.
I have photographic evidence if anyone is interested.

French railway find - Slidingpillar
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_Longueville

and poorly translated from French to English

ajectathefrenchsteam.unblog.fr/

All found with a simple Google search of longueville paris museum

Thanks! I've only just got back and am still catching up...

French railway find - Alanovich
Wish I'd known about this last week instead of suffering Disneybland (sic).

Earmarked for next time. Not that I'm a Puffing Billy (as my old man used to call train loonies), but my nippers would love that.

:-)

French railway find - Zero
Indeed, plan to film SNCF 23K18, which is based there I believe,

www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=418699&nseq=1

In September, somewhere, as yet undecided, between Calais and Paris.

Here's a couple of pix I snatched before the caretaker asked me if I knew what 'fermé' meant.

tinyurl.com/kqrjp92

Canterbury Belle - Bromptonaut
BoB class Tangmere was simmering gently at Willesden this morning waiting to take the Canterbury Belle forward having been diesel hauled down from Brum. Rolling stock was a 'West Coast' BR Mk1 set in sixties purple.

Is Zeddo out filming it by any chance?

Canterbury Belle - BiggerBadderDave
Yes, he likes to film his wife dogging behind the train station.
 Canterbury Belle - Zero
>> BoB class Tangmere was simmering gently at Willesden this morning waiting to take the Canterbury
>> Belle forward having been diesel hauled down from Brum. Rolling stock was a 'West Coast'
>> BR Mk1 set in sixties purple.
>>
>> Is Zeddo out filming it by any chance?

Indeed, he filmed it in Charing & Minster in kent.

Canterbury Belle - Bromptonaut
>> Indeed, he filmed it in Charing & Minster in kent.

Linky?

Canterbury Belle - Zero
Still uploading.

Canterbury Belle - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFi8z9tgE20
 Canterbury Belle - Dog
Excellent! - best one yet IMO, I liked the way the loco changed tracks and wormed its way through.

Canterbury Belle - Dog
>>and wormed its way through

Snaked :)

Canterbury Belle - Zero
You like snaking Dog? try this one I shot on Monday

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw5BviqfXDI

Canterbury Belle - Dog
Neat! - great sound too through my Monitor Audio Bronze B2's

Canterbury Belle - Zero
I got a new external mic, just fir you

Canterbury Belle - Dog
Thought it was different - great stereo effect.

Nice hobby ... better than golf.

:-))

Canterbury Belle - commerdriver
very nice Z especially the second set over the points, keep them coming.

Canterbury Belle - Zero
I guess you have probably not seen my scoop.

Bittern doing a network rail test (testing hammer bow over structures - in this case Maidenhead bridge where they had installed sensors) prior to allowing 90mph running up the East Coast Main line, as part of the celebrations for Mallards world steam record 75 years ago.

Bittern at (now confirmed) 96MPH as it first appeared - about 92 mph as it passed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=me1OfEEKk3I

That bit of video has been requested for and will be included on a commercial DVD about the record and the celebrations, available for purchase later this year.

Good one I knew the test was planned but missed the date well done, great video
Are you planning to go to see the 6 in York?

Canterbury Belle - Zero
>> Good one I knew the test was planned but missed the date well done, great
>> video
>> Are you planning to go to see the 6 in York?

No, thats going to be a real scrum, however there is a last farewell at Shildon next february before the two go back overseas, that may be a better bet.

I am pondering getting as close as I can to stoke bank for one of the mainline runs, but it has to be a North to South run. The first 90mph run will be at the end of this month, but thats South to North.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 19 Jun 13 at 10:29

are these runs listed on uksteam.info or another site

Canterbury Belle - Bigtee
Train Spotters are a pain in the backside

Been hounded by them this week asking daft questions there nearly as annoying as drivers!!
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 19 Jun 13 at 12:42

Canterbury Belle - Zero
and you are just a miserable old farty fitter.

>> Train Spotters are a pain in the backside
>>
>> Been hounded by them this week asking daft questions there nearly as annoying as drivers!!
>>
One thread in a whole site is hardly a world takeover
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 19 Jun 13 at 12:42

Canterbury Belle - Zero
The fast runs are listed on UK steam info, and we now have access to Network Rail live running data, with precise times, paths and real time tracking.

Whats not listed is where on the routes the 90mph will be achieved, this you have to work out from past runs, track conditions, other traffic, watering stops, Stoke Bank south is almost guaranteed.

Fly in the ointment. We need rain two or three days before the event. If its dry they will be limited due to line side fire risk.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 19 Jun 13 at 10:55

Canterbury Belle - Pat
>> We need rain two or three days before the event<<

I can see you now..doing a rain dance in leafy Surrey while I sit on a wet cliff top.

I told Ian it was your fault.

Pat

Canterbury Belle - Zero
watcha moanin about, its hot rain.

Canterbury Belle - Pat
It's wet rain.....and dancing naked around the Hurlers at dawn tomorrow morning may be dodgy now.

Pat

Canterbury Belle - Dog
Nother 10 years of this blimmin weather m8, I'd go 'abroad' next year if I were thee.

Canterbury Belle - CGNorwich
"Nother 10 years of this blimmin weather m8, I'd go 'abroad' next year if I were thee."

Not sure that's the answer. Flying to Calgary tomorrow and planning to drive through the Rockies to Vancouver via Banff and Jasper.

Just heard that Highway 1 closed both ways due to torrential rain flooding and mudslides.

Just look at this lot!

www.ctvnews.ca/canada/pictures-and-videos-of-flooding-in-canmore-alberta-1.1334613

Canterbury Belle - Dog
Sun spots, solar flares, Artic ice melt or whatever, the weather is up the creek and not just here of course.

Have a nice one anyway CG, my friend the leather craftsman spent much time in that area many moons ago jumping freight trains, living with Yellow Knife injuns, working in Uranium mines.

His brother still lives out the up in the Rockies carving out a career as a wood craftsman.

Canterbury Belle - Zero

>> working in
>> Uranium mines.

He might light up the pub when he walks in.

Canterbury Belle - Dog
>>He might light up the pub when he walks in

He'd have a job Zed - he's brown bread ... prostate cancer!

Canterbury Belle - Old Navy
I liked Jasper, I was there in the spring, (Skiing). At least you won't have to keep an eye out for grumpy hungry just out of bed (hibernation) bears. Its a bit of a shock to meet a Moose munching the grass outside your motel room when leaving for breakfast. Also don't get caught at the level crossing, a 100 car 4 loco freight train takes an age to pass when moving off from the sidings. :-)

Canterbury Belle - Zero
thats why so many american truckies try to jump the X-ing before the train arrives. Plenty of video on the tube of the "semeye" subsequently being cut in half.

Canterbury Belle - CGNorwich
Doesn't look good for my tripa at the moment. Highway looks completely washed out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_IbrPIsLyg

Canterbury Belle - Zero
you'll be ok as long as you don't want to come off at offramp 91

Canterbury Belle - Dog
>>Highway looks completely washed out.

Reminds me of Cornwall, CG.

:(

Canterbury Belle - henry k

>>Doesn't look good for my trip at the moment.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23000926
getting worse

White Rose - Zero
Hey Doggie, slap this yun through your speakers

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYL8uKz2_II

Check out that loose headlight dancing to the cylinder thrusts.

White Rose - Dog
Grrreat! - I'm at my desk with the speakers just 1m away and wound right up, it's quite exhilarating so I can just imagine what it's like to be there.

White Rose - Zero
>> Grrreat! - I'm at my desk with the speakers just 1m away and wound right
>> up, it's quite exhilarating so I can just imagine what it's like to be there.
>>

It was wet.

The Canterbury Belle - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWw6pnNrkw

This is SR Light Pacific, Battle of Britain class 34067 Tangmere on the Canterbury Belle, filmed today.
I thought I would start a "How steam tours run and operate" series. This is the planned water stop in the down sidings at Lenham in Kent. Careful research and planning went into the making of this video, even to the extent of talking to local railway staff before the event. Railway videographers of course have to cope with the unexpected......

The Canterbury Belle - Dog
WKD! - e'e does a brilliant job of em (said the missus) wassaname of that classical music piece?

Have you tried Shazaming it?

The Canterbury Belle - Dog
I've found the ideal property for you [Steam Trains Run in Summer]

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35833901.html

Nicole has vetoed it.

Mallard and the other 5 A4 steam trains at York - rtj70
I see that they have brought all 6 surviving A4 locomotives to York starting tomorrow for two weeks. Only three of them still actually run of course.

So whilst it's still open and free, a trip to the National Railway Museum, York, from 3-17 July might interest some on here.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23137106
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 2 Jul 13 at 11:04

Mallard and the other 5 A4 steam trains at York - commerdriver
Plenty of opportunities over the next 8 months the transatlantic ones leave in Feb 2014. NRM are milking it while they can, all 6 won't be there all the time, however.

Going up on 12 July for early morning photoshoot as part of a longer visit

Mallard and the other 5 A4 steam trains at York - Zero
Bittern hit 93mph (Newark Northgate station) on its way up there on Saturday, the first of the 90mph runs. The NRM will be a right ole scrum unless well planned as Commeerdriver seems to have done. The best view I suspect will be at Shildon in february before they return.

Mallard and the other 5 A4 steam trains at York - Number_Cruncher
Was at NRM fairly early on Saturday morning, three A4s were in the main hall, with plenty of room around them. It looks like Mallard itself will have pride of place on the turntable.

I'll be there again next week - again, an early morning visit.

My excuse for frequent visits is that it's all for Number_Nipper's benefit!

Barrow Hill is an interesting visit - not worth travelling too far for, and don't go in new/expensive clothes!

Mallard and the other 5 A4 steam trains at York - Crankcase
I'll be there on the 15th, but won't have a clue at what I'm looking at. All for marital harmony.

Mallard and the other 5 A4 steam trains at York - rtj70
I am sure you'd recognise the shape of the Mallard.

You even have a a 1 in 6 chance of guessing which is or 1 in 4 if you remember Mallard is blue

Easier than that, three of them smell smokey, three dont. Mallard is the blue one that dont.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 2 Jul 13 at 14:19

Mallard and the other 5 A4 steam trains at York - Crankcase
I've made notes guys. Thanks. A shapely blue smoker is a duck. Got it. No wait. The duck doesn't smoke...

Trains is so confusing.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 2 Jul 13 at 14:31

>.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 2 Jul 13 at 14:32

More confusing there are 2 blue ones that don't smoke one has a big long nameplate Mallard is the one with a short nameplate , don't get started on the numbers

Mallard and the other 5 A4 steam trains at York - bathtub tom
>>The duck doesn't smoke

Just to further confuse the issue: www.rannochsmokery.co.uk/smoked-duck-recipes

Latest Forum Posts