Non-motoring > Which 50" telly? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 177

Which 50" telly? - -
shall we choose please boys and girls.

We recently gave up the Sky package and now have a Humax Freesat HDD thingy, not the easiest in the world to operate but we manage.

Have a full separates surround system so TV's speaker quality not an issue.

I see many come with Freeview or Freesat, we already have Freesat so its not specifically needed but i suppose in the event of the Humax kicking the bucket might be handy to have.

Don't want 3d, but do want full internet linking for easy access to 4OD etc.

Is Panasonic the product of choice, or is Samsung the new kid on the block.

Have had good service from our 40" Sony, which is going into another room.

Budget up to £1000, those £55 a month subs soon add up when you cancel...and boy oh boy what a palarva getting rid of Sky was, never again, they won't take no for an answer.

either of these any good?

Samsung UE50EH5300KXXU

Panasonic Smart VIERA TX-P50GT30B

The Panasonic is 600hz, is that a good or bad thing?

Your expertise please, oh and where apart from John Lewis who don't have a large range do we find a genuine no frills 5 year warranty?, Richer Sounds didn't have quite what we wanted when i looked at the weekend but very happy to buy from them and take their bargain refundable 5 year guarantee, where else would you suggest?
 Which 50" telly? - Manatee
Samsungs generally are associated with power supply failures.

That's the extent of my contribution I'm afraid - I'll have the 26" Sony until it dies, big TVs make me seasick, the boss won't have one anyway, and I've noticed they don't show better programmes!

Which 50" telly? - -
Yes MT, my son's Samsung 40" power supply failed but they came out and fixed it for free on a goodwill basis, hopefully the fault should have been eradicated by now, that was a couple of years ago.

We're not telly addicts far from it, can't stand mainstream programs and no propaganda humourously referred to as the news or associated programming is watched, hence the internet TV requirement, living room somewhat large so whilst upgrading we thought we'd go a bit bigger.

50" a guide size could be either way a little.
 Which 50" telly? - -
Ah, Richer Sounds link, didn't see this when i last looked, free 5 year warranty.

www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txl47e5b/pana-txl47e5b

thoughts?
 Which 50" telly? - rtj70
I've said this many times - get it at John Lewis if you can because:

1. A decent 5 year warranty will be included free
2. They price match (After checking) any local shop (not online only deals)

I like Panasonic products... I see the Richer Sounds link has 5 year warranty (common on Panasonics) but only 47".
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 9 Jan 13 at 19:39
 Which 50" telly? - Zero
consider Sony.

Why do people say the Humax is hard to negotiate? its pee easy even for the woman of our house.
>>even for the woman of our house.

You been taking brave pills again?
 Which 50" telly? - Kevin
>>even for the woman of our house.

>You been taking brave pills again?

Nah, that's Nicole posting. Zero's in the kitchen making a cuppa.
 Which 50" telly? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Doing the ironing more like ;-)
 Which 50" telly? - Zero
I ironed one shirt 25 years ago, I made such a hash of it `I havent had to iron a thing since
 Which 50" telly? - Kevin
>I ironed one shirt 25 years ago, I made such a hash of it `I havent had to iron a thing since

Hi Nicole,

Zero still in the kitchen?
 Which 50" telly? - Dog
This is the 50" version of my 42 incher, granpabennett, and it's a blinder IMO.

www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P50G30B-50-inch-Internet-Ready-Freeview/dp/B004TFDTD2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1357760329&sr=8-10

I bought it locally from an independent and got a 5 year guarantee with it.

I always said BIG TV's were OTT, and that Plasma equalled mega power con-sumption.

I'm a reformed man now though, Plasma gives a more natural image IMO, whereas LED LCD can be a tad too bright.

Go and see em in the shoppe though, you may prefer the LED pic.

I also have a Humax Freesat HD jobbie which we use all the time rather than the inbuilt Freeview.
 Which 50" telly? - -

>> www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P50G30B-50-inch-Internet-Ready-Freeview/dp/B004TFDTD2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1357760329&sr=8-10

>> I bought it locally from an independent and got a 5 year guarantee with it.

Aha, do not go away D, i need to pick your brain....and that telly you linked to we had already pencilled in as a possible.

Righto a question, SWMBO is a fan of 4OD and ITV player, can you access these on your blinking great Pansonic jobbie please, if this isn't feasable yet then no point in upgrading till it is.

We will have a look round the local indy shop and see what they can do for us if you come up with a positive answer.

grrrr....wots this granpa lark...:-)

((Why do people say the Humax is hard to negotiate? its pee easy even for the woman of our house.))

A lot of the problem is the handset Z and the speed of the set responding, the remote must have been designed by and made for 16 year olds like so many things are now with tiny writing and buttons instead of larger fewer.
To be fair to Sky, their remotes and set boxes work very well (well till they break down) and the remote is operable/readable by a normal sited mature(ish) adult.
One could be forgiven for thinking that Sky infiltrate the competition to make sure their remotes are user unfriendly.

Yes quite happy to go with Sony again, ours has been faultless for many years, there thats put the mockers on it.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 9 Jan 13 at 20:11
 Which 50" telly? - mikeyb
Ive got the Panny TX-P46G20BA which I guess may be a forerunner to the one referenced above. It has freesat so you can just hook the dish up to it.

I've been really pleased with it. Got it from my local panasonic store as they were cheapest at the time and chucked in a free 5 year warranty

www.pana-stores.co.uk/

Now appears that they give 6 year warranty and 0% finance.
 Which 50" telly? - -
Thanks Mikey, interesting link.

Seems to be South West Panasonic stores group, but SWM is going to ring them anyway and see whats what, that extra years warranty is better than a kick up the backside.

tinyurl.com/bxly2rl

This one looks interesting, still need to find out if it really will connect easily to 4OD etc, most of the screen shots show BBCiPlayer plus others but haven't seen one showing 4OD yet, maybe full wifi will give that possibility.

I expect as Dog mentioned above, a visit to the local indy is on the cards and get it from someone real not virtual or via the phone who we can go back to if it doesn't do what they tell us it can.
 Which 50" telly? - rtj70
I wonder if 4oD is available on a Panasonic via Viera connect. It's not yet available on a Sky_ box via on demand either. What does the Panasonic website say?
 Which 50" telly? - Focusless
Might be worth considering a Youview box, which has all the catch-up layers built in (and HD). Free with some broadband packages (BT and TalkTalk are 2 I'm aware of).

EDIT: www.youview.com/
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 9 Jan 13 at 22:02
 Which 50" telly? - -
>> EDIT: www.youview.com/
>>

Thats a possibility, could get a much cheaper telly but means another box and remote, blinking electricians nightmare round the back of our telly stand already, we'll need jumper leads to bring enough current in the way this is going..;)

TV, receiver surround amp, DVD player, HDD box, video sender, yep still room for another to replace the video which packed in last summer.
 Which 50" telly? - Focusless
>> >> EDIT: www.youview.com/
>> >>
>>
>> Thats a possibility, could get a much cheaper telly but means another box and remote,

Good point :)
 Which 50" telly? - CGNorwich
"but means another box and remote,"

the number of remotes and boxes you need is getting silly.

Under the tele now have a an HD box, Apple TV , Blue Ray Player, Humax recorder and Wii each with their own remotes and an amplifier with a couple of speakers.
 Which 50" telly? - -
Copied from Panasonics site ref Viera.

'''VIERA Connect allows users to enjoy video and music, sports, games, and a variety of other content in addition to the standard movies and TV programmes on a high-quality large-screen TV through the simple operation of a remote control. The cloud-based Internet service also supports interactive services using applicable equipment as well as an Internet-based shopping function that allows such equipment to be purchased straight from the TV.
The browser supports HTML5 pages, so you can browse the Internet much like you do with a PC. Unlike a PC, though, the large screen allows the whole family or a group of friends to comfortably view a wide variety of content.'''

In the sales blurb they mention BBC i Player Youtube and Facebook and a few others, but never seen ITV player or 4OD mentioned.

Reckon we'll have to physically see this in action at an indy to find out the answer, won't be bothering Curry's i'll end up losing the will to live.
 Which 50" telly? - rtj70
>> In the sales blurb they mention BBC i Player Youtube and Facebook and a few others, but
>> never seen ITV player or 4OD mentioned.

You already know it doesn't support 4oD or ITV Player. If it did they would say it did. No need to go anywhere. It does not support it.

Instead of wasting the fuel you could phone an independent Panasonic reseller. But it will only confirm what you already know.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 9 Jan 13 at 22:09
 Which 50" telly? - -
Thats probably a fair assumption RTJ, i'm in the camp of reading what salesman don't say as more important too.

They make much talk of using the telly for web browsing, so assuming this is correct it should be possible to link into 4OD, however you are probably quite right, if it was possible they'd be shouting from the rooftops about it.
 Which 50" telly? - rtj70
That's being optimistic to think a TV can access 4OD via a web browser. With all the protection they put on these streams I'd be surprised a TV's web browser was suitable to show content. It won't be simple Flash in the stream that's for sure.
 Which 50" telly? - Dog
Nay gord, no 4OD or ITV Player, although there is a place for it on Freesat channel 903.

Have a read of this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_Player

I rarely watch ITV TBH, but I do use the BBC iPlayer quite a lot.

Make sure that when you go to see the TV's in the shoppe that the picture is a live transmission and not from a Blu-ray player, and check out what the piccie is like in AD as well as HD transmissions.
 Which 50" telly? - -
Thanks Dog for checking up much appreciated, and good point about checking a possible telly with a live broadcast.

I've just spoken to the Richer Sounds geezer on the phone, helpful as ever do like that store.

No smart TV's offer 4oD at the moment, well none that they have anyway, it appears the all singing all dancing Samsung smart tv does ITV player.

However he did have a good suggestion in line with Focusless' suggestion above, the new Humax DTR1000 PVR which has the YouView facility.

Thats around £250 at RS, so if this all pans out we'll upgrade to one of those instead of a smart TV, that way we get everything we want plus the YouView facility thrown in.

Then we can find a simple end of range 50" TV without all the gubbins on it, should work out about the same cost all in.

Right thats plan B in a nutshell.

OK me hearties now you can see where we're going, before i go any further what am i missing, what am i overlooking, and what 50" non smart TV shall we get?

Thanks for your help so far, so blinking easy to get this wrong and we nearly did.
 Which 50" telly? - -
missed the edit.

By the way we currently have a feesat Humax PVR, will this Freeview/YouView box connect to the satellite dish in exactly the same way?...this might seem a simple or silly question but they don't make it terribly clear and i do not want to get this wrong.
Only if the YouView Humax has a satellite tuner?

Sounds to me as if you'll need both. But I'm about 10 years behind. Never had satellite.
 Which 50" telly? - Zero
>> missed the edit.
>>
>> By the way we currently have a feesat Humax PVR, will this Freeview/YouView box connect
>> to the satellite dish in exactly the same way?...this might seem a simple or silly
>> question but they don't make it terribly clear and i do not want to get
>> this wrong.

No, its not a satellite receiver, (ie not freesat) but is freeview. You plug it into your terrestrial aerial
 Which 50" telly? - rtj70
Many on here will still probably say go for a Panasonic! :-)

And as Z says below, YouView is a Freeview box so does not use the satellite dish. So there will be fewer channels available.

With regards 4oD.... it's coming to Sky OnDemand soon apparently but not here yet. I wonder if this means it will also appear on other devices soon after?
 Which 50" telly? - -
Ah, thought it was too easy, you think you've got the blinkin thing sorted and nope, you haven't.

So looks like we wait till the FreeSat/YouView combo comes about, would be a bit OTT to have one Humax for Freesat and another for YouView.

Terrestrial aerial here is hopeless, we haven't used it for ages, 2 very good aerials with a big booster and still the picture is ropey both Anglia and Central (if they are still the regional ITV channels), its always been like this hence the satellite dish.
That's a bit of a worry GB - you are aware that Youview is basically terrestrial, plus some broadband content? Or are you just counting on the Freesat for the free to air stuff?
 Which 50" telly? - -
>> That's a bit of a worry GB - you are aware that Youview is basically
>> terrestrial, plus some broadband content? Or are you just counting on the Freesat for the
>> free to air stuff?

Basically yes MT, but is YouView only via free to air aerials, isn't it available via satellite like all the normal terrestrial channels, we get all channels that are free but via the satellite.
Am i missing something blindingly obvious here?, wouldn't be the first time i've barked up the wrong tree.

((I can spend hours and hours researching something I'm considering buying))

Same here D, i put as much research as i can into something before buying.

((Have you tried it on digital since the full analogue turn off GB? you might be pleasantly surprised. ))

No we haven't had the aerials plugged in for probably 4 years Z, might be an interesting experiment to see...thats if we can find the booster..;)

Glad you fellows haven't got fed up with my ignorance over this subject, i used to be quite well up on things about 10 years ago.
 Which 50" telly? - Zero

>> Basically yes MT, but is YouView only via free to air aerials,

Yup

>>isn't it available
>> via satellite like all the normal terrestrial channels,

Nope.

>> Am i missing something blindingly obvious here?, wouldn't be the first time i've barked up
>> the wrong tree.

Not really, but perhaps you don't appreciate the fact that freeview and freesat are two completely different service providers, who share many channels in common, but also many that are not.

Youview is basically a service set up to compete with Virgin cable, and will morph, in time, into all content over the net and dispense with the need for aerial.
 Which 50" telly? - -
>> Youview is basically a service set up to compete with Virgin cable, and will morph,
>> in time, into all content over the net and dispense with the need for aerial.

Yes we weren't going to go down the YouView route initially, i don't normally buy into something only recently launched, its usually overpriced and it usually evolves quickly making your expensive investment obsolete too soon.

We thought it might provide us an answer for our particular requirements and i think in time it or something similar will, but we'll put our upgrade on hold for a while and wait see what happens.

Unfortunately our house was built about a year after cable was laid to every house in the road except ours, plus we have poor aerial reception subject to rechecking signal, hence the need for sat dish,

Many thanks for all your help fellow forumites.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Thu 10 Jan 13 at 21:05
 Which 50" telly? - Zero
Have you tried it on digital since the full analogue turn off GB? you might be pleasantly surprised.
 Which 50" telly? - Dog
I didn't check out the pic of my telly in-store before buying it gord, I researched on-line for 42 inchers,
although I knew the answer would turn out to be Panasonic or Sony.

I can spend hours and hours researching something I'm considering buying and I've recently been checking out portable DAB radios with rechargeable batteries for use in the khazi, came down to Pure or Roberts of course,
and Roberts won ;)
 Which 50" telly? - sajid
if you after picture qualty plasma wins, cos of deeper blacks, and colours, the panasonic gt vt series are the one to go for, otherwise the next range is the sony hx853 series are recomended
 Which 50" telly? - Dog
>>the panasonic gt vt series are the one to go for<<

If y'all want 3D, otherwise the plain ole G series is good enuff IMHO.
 Which 50" telly? - CGNorwich
Aren't the new LED TV's meant to now have a better picture than plasma? Cheaper to run too.
 Which 50" telly? - Dog
I did con-sider LED LCD's but I chose Plasma b'cos I found the LED's a tad over bright, some peeps might prefer that though, particularly those who watch daytime TV.

Orses for courses :)
 Which 50" telly? - Badwolf
We had a YouView box installed on Monday through TalkTalk and, even though it's still early days, I can't recommend it highly enough. The box we were supplied with is a Huawei (sp?) and the engineer that installed it said that, in his honest opinion, they are far superior to the Humax boxes.

I have found that it is very simple to use and the on-screen menus are very pleasing to the eye. It gives us all the usual basic Freeview channels, as well as BBC HD, ITV HD and Channel 4 HD. We also get all the 'catch up' services, including 4oD and the Channel Five one. On top of that, we can 'hire' a newly released film for 48 hours for a very reasonable sum, and we have an ever-changing library of 'box sets' (admittedly all American shows) that are free.

The picture quality is stunning on the HD channels, especially Sir David Attenborough's latest series 'Africa', and that's just on our bog standard Toshiba 42" LCD set.

The setting of recordings is easy as you like but to be honest, you don't need to record a thing as you can catch up via the OnDemand service - programmes are available for an average of seven days from the date of transmission.

The box does need to be connected to your Broadband router via an ethernet cable, and it would be best to have unlimited fibre optic broadband as watching shows OnDemand and on 'catch-up' uses up your download limit. However, being connected via a cable does mean that you will never experience buffering when watching, and nor will the picture be affected by the weather, as it so often is when watching via a satellite dish.

It's horses for courses though, I guess. The one thing I would say is that the first generation SMART TVs are already becoming obsolete - our engineer said that YouView is the way forward as it only requires what is, in effect, a large computer monitor.

Hope all that waffle has helped :-)

Which 50" telly? - Bromptonaut
>> The box does need to be connected to your Broadband router via an ethernet cable,
>> and it would be best to have unlimited fibre optic broadband as watching shows OnDemand

And therin lies the rub. I might just be able to re-jig things to connect to router by ethernet but it'll be years before we get anything better than ADSL. That's in a community of 3500 close to the M1 and five miles from a town of approaching 200,000.

RF transmission is surely better use of resource than trying to force ever more TV distribution to the net.
 Which 50" telly? - Zero

>> RF transmission is surely better use of resource than trying to force ever more TV
>> distribution to the net.

Not when the gov can sell off the radio spectrum its not. Think of it, not only do you pay the license, you pay per view, AND 4 billion in the coffers for selling off the spectrum.
 Which 50" telly? - No FM2R
>>RF transmission is surely better use of resource than trying to force ever more TV distribution to the net.

Terrestrial broadcast faces a limited number of channels delivered to an unlimited audience. The challenge has always been to grow the limited number of channels.

IP distributed television faces an unlimited number of channels delivered to a limited audience. The challenge continues to be to grow the audience which can be served.

The ideal choice depends which issue impacts you less, which you can manage or on some combination.

Which 50" telly? - -
''Hope all that waffle has helped :-)''

It did indeed BW, thankyou, have learned much from the learned ones here, again.

We're going to hang fire with the YouView thingy, see what happens in the forseeable, will keep our beady mincers open for a bargain fairly basic 50 or so inch telly in the meantime though.

Thanks for the recommends there Sajid.
 Which 50" telly? - Badwolf
You're most terribly welcome.
 Which 50" telly? - Dog
>> I've recently been checking out portable DAB radios with rechargeable batteries for use in the khazi, came down to Pure or Roberts of course,
and Roberts won ;)<<

- - - Dog, whatever you do, don't buy the Roberts unologic DAB radio, it's a great little portable.

But the sound is fracking awful :(
 Which 50" telly? - -
>> But the sound is fracking awful :(
>>

Too much information D, beans cabbage or colli?

try turning the radio up..:-)
 Which 50" telly? - Dog
>>Too much information D, beans cabbage or colli?<<

So you know a phew vegetarians then gord.

:)
 Which 50" telly? - Dog
A whole lot of love telly, if you have Lud's sort of money:

www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Series-ES8000-SMART-Television/dp/B007JURJMG/ref=pd_cp_ce_2
 Which 50" telly? - -
As i've only got the mere mortal bennet childrens inheritance to blow, not half a county's budget that Lud would have to wave about what about this

www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/50pa650t/lg-50pa650t

Gets reasonable reviews as best i can see, what does the panel think.

Has 3 HDMI sockets, connectable to PC, so should be linkable when the necessary 4oD receiver system to suit us is available.
 Which 50" telly? - Zero
Have you perused the manual? including the the buttons on the remote......?
 Which 50" telly? - -
Thanks for the suggestion, yes i've looked at the remote, about as easy as any of the others out there, which isn't
Quite like the Sony remote of our current Sony tv, but can't find a Sony 50" that has this sort of connectivity unless i go up to Luds budget, unless you can point me differently.

Whats your thoughts on LG TV's like this Z?
 Which 50" telly? - Zero

>> Whats your thoughts on LG TV's like this Z?

Its like this GB. Teles are on of those things that you need to go and look at, get touchy feely with. I have almost certainly every time gone to a shop with a model in mind after much on-line research, and come away with something different after see it in use.

HAve a list of minimum requirements, a price range, and get yersen down to a big JLP for a looksee,
 Which 50" telly? - henry k
>>Have a list of minimum requirements, a price range, and get yersen down to a big JLP for a looksee,

+1
When I was looking for TVs, the prices varied far more than I was expecting.
I bought two from JLP. The best price around.
JL prices varied, sometimes DAILY but they offered a price guarantee ( valid for 28 days?) so the set was available at that price or less so a great idea..
The third I bought from Amazon in their warehouse clearance or what ever they call it.
The ( just discontinued) set from Amazon was a real bargain.
Tesco was a stupidly very high price.

I have a Sony 24" 1080 so I can compare it with the Panasonic.
I think the Panasonic remote is is better. Simpler switching to AV. It has a toggle to last viewed channel.

When looking at the schedules /guide the Pan kills the sound and vision but the Sony keeps the sound and a thumbnail. A Sony plus.

There are some extensive reviews online and one UK company has lots of Yyoutube items on sets.

Which 50" telly? - -
''I have almost certainly every time gone to a shop with a model in mind after much on-line research, and come away with something different after see it in use. ''

Sorry Z i missed your reply earlier it was Henry's reply to you that made me notice, thankyou thats a good point, would be best to venture out.

''I think the Panasonic remote is is better. Simpler switching to AV. It has a toggle to last viewed channel.''

It certainly looks simple enough Henry, seems like i'll have to drag meself down to a John Lewis then and do some playing around.

Used to be so easy when we had the excellent Coop just round the corner, miss that shop no end.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 18:02
I have not played with other brands big TVs.
RTFM? Its like modern cars sooo complex if you want to delve into the clever bits.
A feature on the Pan that I liked was the ability to label the input sources and delete the unused ones from the on screen menu. SWMO likes that so DVD, Birds ( nest box camera) all make my life easier as I do not need to explain it. :-)

So a JLP visit soon?
 Which 50" telly? - Dog
Looks like a goer gord:

www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B007K4V2GK/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
 Which 50" telly? - -
Thanks D, yes they do read quite well, albeit several mentions of screen being too reflective.

Where it sits in our room that won't matter as nothing could be reflected.

Hmm, just downloaded the manual for a Panasonic www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp50st50b/pana-txp50st50b

Think Z might have a point there, a much simpler clearer looking remote, though without actually trying both remotes looks can be deceptive.

Another thing comes to mind, we have in our spare room an LG DVD/Video, i doubt its been used for more than an hour cos the thing was that fiddly to operate sheer frustration saw it replaced for our own use within days, how it didn't get hurled through the window i don't know.

Blinking 'eck, nothings ever simple in life is it.

Which 50" telly? - sherlock47
Does not seem to have been mentioned elsewhere, but the LG plasma apparently weighs 41kg!

Not a problem if it is on a cabinet, but if you are mounting a wall bracket on eggbox walls, think again!

Then you have to have somebody else, that you trust, to help you fit it to a wall bracket.
Last edited by: pmh on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 16:57
 Which 50" telly? - -
>> Does not seem to have been mentioned elsewhere, but the LG plasma apparently weighs 41kg!

Its on a purpose built solid cabinet, radiator lives behind it on the ideal wall for mounting, so unless we move the rad, which with concrete section suspended floors isn't going to be easy, on the cabinet it will stay..;)

edit...SWM and i fitted the wall mirror, which is 7ft by 4ft over the fireplace, i secured a length of fancy wood for it to rest on permanently and she propped it up with a broom handle whilst i fastened the stays at the top, bit hair raising that was.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 17:05
Radiator behind the TV? I would suggest not good for longetivity, take out the 5 year warranty! However probably good for the initial burn in phase :)
 Which 50" telly? - -
>> Radiator behind the TV?

Well 3 ft behind the telly, hasn't caused any problems in 10 years though i confess i thought it might.
 Which 50" telly? - rtj70
Radiator behind a Plasma TV... turn off the radiator when the Plasma's on because the TV will generate some of the heat you need :-)
 Which 50" telly? - -
>> Radiator behind a Plasma TV... turn off the radiator when the Plasma's on because the
>> TV will generate some of the heat you need :-)

Believe me with a 13ft ceiling in the living room we need every heat source we can get.
It its a good television.

However, just check that the functionality suits you;

It will not directly access any online features.

It would appear that it is connectable to a PC, but I'd check what it mans by that. By what method, how does sound connect, just as a display device? Will it display anything the PC puts out, including sound? Does it mean the PC needs to be next to the TV?

The USB port - just sticks or any external discs? Any format?
 Which 50" telly? - rtj70
Our TV (a Panasonic that's now over 4 years old) and will connect to any computer via a VGA cable. But VGA doesn't carry sound so you need a cable for the audio too. Doesn't sound too bad... except the VGA connection is restricted to 1024x768. It doesn't have to be but they have deliberately done this.

Connect using HDMI of course and the TV won't care if it is a desktop, laptop or a PVR that's connecting.

On a modern TV I'd take it this reference is also to a VGA connection. But via HDMI (or Displayport to HDMI using an adapter) it's almost irrelevant.
 Which 50" telly? - -
>> Our TV (a Panasonic that's now over 4 years old) and will connect to any
>> computer via a VGA cable. But VGA doesn't carry sound so you need a cable
>> for the audio too. Doesn't sound too bad... except the VGA connection is restricted to
>> 1024x768. It doesn't have to be but they have deliberately done this.

Thanks RTJ, PC link is likely to be used so rarely anyway as not to be a problem, it will be used almost exclusively via our present and then at some point an upgraded PVR, and DVD player, not gone Blue Ray yet as we find DVD's more than good enough.

The only fly in the ointment is Z's pertinent point about the remote, which compared with what we've seen of Panasonics offering does remind me a bit too much of the headache trying to get the blessed DVD/VCR thing in the spare room working.

Which 50" telly? - -
Thanks FM2 The online features are not a problem, nothing under a footballers budget supports 4oD so we'll get another method of linking that in due course, that method will be linkable to the surround system anyway and in practice the TV speakers will rarely if ever be used.

Good point about linking sound from a PC though, not as we'll necessarily use that other than minimally.
this from the manual:--

'''Connect the signal cable from the monitor output port of the PC to the RGB (PC) port of the TV or the signal
cable from the HDMI output port of the PC to the HDMI IN (or HDMI/DVI IN) port on the TV.
Connect the audio cable from the PC to the Audio input on the TV. (Audio cables are not included with the TV).''

it appears it will need a close PC source then.

USB port...''Connect a USB storage device such as a USB flash memory, external hard drive, or a USB memory card
reader to the TV and access the Smart Share menu to use various multimedia files.''

Why do you say its a good televison?
As a television (refresh rate, resolution, tuner, B/W & Colour range etc. ) it will give you a great picture.

It has all the facilities you will need to see good, and the audio is not bad either.

No doubt someone else will tell you that another television will give you a better picture.

But I defy anybody to tell the difference without the televisions side by side showing the same program from the same feed.

A tip: when you go to look at a television in a store which has many televisions, check at the back to see which feed is being used. It is amazing how many of them will have an RF feed except for the ones they wish to get shot of which have digital feeds.
 Which 50" telly? - -
>> As a television (refresh rate, resolution, tuner, B/W & Colour range etc. ) it will
>> give you a great picture.

Thats pencilled in then, and a bargain to boot with RS's 5 years warranty thrown in.

We'll study the remote and instructions closer to see if we can live with it.

Many thanks.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 17:37
 Which 50" telly? - Zero

>> No doubt someone else will tell you that another television will give you a better
>> picture.

But when you go into the shop, the picture differences are immediate, (yes I know some makes have a "shop" mode), even when they are on the same feed.

Note I didn't say quality, because peoples preferences on "quality" vary so much. It is a matter of viewing preference really.

Remotes

I am a dedicated Sony house. It means that it generally increases the the chances of finding a remote control which does the basics. It also means that we can have duplex control in the bedroom for example, as the historical controls also do the basic features. Confuses the hell out of SWMBO because I am forever looking for control of the more esoteric functions! To her a remote is a remote.

LCDs
1 x 32*
1 x 32
1 x 22*

crt
1 x 14" + Pansaonic FV box
1 x 28" with a digital tuner but limited channels made up for using Sky box*

2 x Sony DVD players, 1 with upscaling HDMI

Excluding the Humax HDSat box, the 28 crt probably gives the most pleasing picture!

Only the * were bought new. The others all cost less than £10 each altho I should factor in a £30 for a new power baord for one of the 32s. However the set was free.

Last edited by: pmh on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 19:06
 Which 50" telly? - rtj70
When looking at TVs in John Lewis 4+ years ago it was immediately obvious the TVs in the price range I was willing to pay (and above) were better from Panasonic and the others. No contest. If I went in now (and I have recently) that's not the case - the likes of Samsung have improved. At the time Sony were as bad as Samsung but they used Samsung LCD panels at the time.

Sound was another big difference. And with today's slim sets, only going to be worse. You cannot fit decent speakers in some of these TVs! External sounds system and/or speakers is a must. One of the Samsung TVs at the time I was looking couldn't be made loud enough to hear properly in the shop on full setting!
 Which 50" telly? - -
www.johnlewis.com/231797530/Product.aspx

Just got back from John Lewis' and this is the telly we have decided to order, unless you lot convince me otherwise.

We like the picture, being LED it runs half as cool as the Plasma's looking at the power consumption its easy to see why, didn't listen to the sound because that gets used once in a blue moon.

Chap at Milton Keynes was friendly and helpful, not in the least pushy.
Presumably they're not paid on commission as he was quite happy for us to go away and think about it and buy online.

Is it a goer?
 Which 50" telly? - Zero
A philips? thats brave.
 Which 50" telly? - Crankcase
Just in case, and I'm sure you've seen it, but the same one a little bit smaller is on Amazon for £200 less, although you wouldn't get the John Lewis warranty of course.
 Which 50" telly? - -
>> Just in case, and I'm sure you've seen it, but the same one a little
>> bit smaller is on Amazon for £200 less, although you wouldn't get the John Lewis
>> warranty of course.

Yes the smaller models are available that bit cheaper CC, but we already have a 40" and after seeing the TV's today have decided that 50" is the minimum upgrade that we would buy, SWM was taken with the 55's but we're looking at a considerable price increase then to get LED.
Its the warranty thats making all the difference, plus free del.
 Which 50" telly? - -
Why Z, i always had good service from my Philips electrical goods in years gone by.

Chap, mature talked sense, at JL rated them highly.
 Which 50" telly? - Zero
I have had Philips TVs in the past, and Philips Stereos, and Philips cordless phone, even a philips mobile phone.

All have been unmitigated unreliable junk. Nothing with the name Philips will ever enter this house again.

Except, strangely, Philips electic razors.
 Which 50" telly? - mikeyb
>> Why Z, i always had good service from my Philips electrical goods in years gone
>> by.
>>
>> Chap, mature talked sense, at JL rated them highly.
>>

Same here, in fact I don't recall anything I've had by Philips giving up on me.
I think that might be an older model. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but perhaps as well to check what you're not getting compared to its peers. Check the refresh rate as it seems lower than comparable TVs.

Ultimately though it depends on you being happy with the picture.

Take a USB stick with you containing something you might watch for real. Try it in the different televisions available to you. This will allow you to compare the TV pictures accurately.

Choose the one with the picture that suits you.

Just check the internet access also if that is important to you. Check its easy to use and doesn't depend on some bit of add-on kit as last years models might.

You have a 5 year guarantee, I wouldn't worry about reliability and AFAIK Philips are pretty good anyway.

I'd buy it if I was happy with the picture.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 25 Jan 13 at 16:50
If it is anything like my Panasonic, there are so many tweeks to the picture that are available to the user it would take all day to RTFM and understand it before tweeking it.
Of course. But you have to try to compare.

Hit reset to factory default, and then put in a USB stick. You will have a reasonable and consistent test.
 Which 50" telly? - -
Thankyou fellow travellers, as i type SWM is going through the order process for that Philips TV.

Watch out for the how do i fix this blinking telly i was daft enough to buy thread..;)
 Which 50" telly? - Stuartli
>> If it is anything like my Panasonic, there are so many tweeks to the picture that are available to the user it would take all day to RTFM and understand it before tweeking it.>>

I tried that with my Panasonic Plasma when I bought it nearly three years ago, then suddenly realised if I chose THX mode it would all be done for me perfectly. And so it proved...:-)
 Which 50" telly? - Dog
crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/lg-shows-off-84-inch-ultra-hd-3d-tv-50002156/

£mue mucho!
 Which 50" telly? - -
Nah too much D, don't watch that much telly TBH and 99% of the carp shown is totally ignored anyway, we haven't watched mainstream populus daytime/evening bilge in a lifetime.
 Which 50" telly? - Dog
I think television programs are quite enjoyable gord - if you like to watch repeats of repeats.

:-(
 Which 50" telly? - bathtub tom
>> if you like to watch repeats of repeats.

I watched the pilot episode of 'open all hours' the other night. Something I'd never seen before.

Perhaps I don't watch enough of the box, or maybe I've got that disease that makes you forget stuff - I can't remember what it's called.
>>maybe I've got that disease that makes you forget stuff - I can't remember what it's called.

I've got that for TV programmes. Very handy. It means I can watch ITV3 anytime I am bored and enjoy the old stuff over and over. Watched a Midsomer Murders tonight while the boss was out and it was a real puzzler - I've probably seen it a dozen times.
 Which 50" telly? - Falkirk Bairn
Phillips TVs

A few years back Phillips got out of TV making (design & manufacture) to be replaced by badging OEM kit with their Logo

Phillips now getting out of Hi-fi & DVD etc to concentrate on Medical & Lighting !

Funai has now bought the Phillips business

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21242127
 Which 50" telly? - Dog
>>Funai has now bought the Phillips business<<

To be pronounced Phirrips from now on then, I presume.
 Which 50" telly? - Roger.
Wacist. Fnarrr! :-)
 Which 50" telly? - -
Dear Lord and they wonder why the high street is vanishing, well its not vanishing faster than i was back home 5 minutes ago.

Finally got time in daylight to sort out the new telly, brilliant, lovely picture all good so far.

Spent an hour sorting out the electricians nightmare round the back, fortunately with a surplus of hdmi connections the connections are simpler neater and smaller.

Attn Zero.....yes you were right the TV signal is much improved now its digital, but not quite as good a picture as the satellite via freesat box.

Anyway i needed a new digital optical cable to connect the DVD to the surround receiver, the digi coax was being used but will be needed for telly to receiver (only 1 input of each type on receiver)...with me so far?..;)

Checked online before i nipped to Maplins, roughly £4 buys me a reasonable gold plated 1metre lead, fine.

Expected it to be a bit dearer, prepared to pay twice that for the convenience but no they want £16, so nipped next door into Know-It-All/PC World who want £44 for crying out loud...cue mutterings from geezer cursing himself for wasting his time with the places.

Nipped home and ordered one for £3.99, should be here Tuesday.
 Which 50" telly? - rtj70
I am confused for you GB:

>> Anyway i needed a new digital optical cable to connect the DVD to the surround receiver,
>> i nipped to Maplins, roughly £4 buys me a reasonable gold plated 1metre lead, fine.

How can an optical cable be gold plates!
 Which 50" telly? - Stuartli
>> Perhaps I don't watch enough of the box, or maybe I've got that disease that makes you forget stuff - I can't remember what it's called.>>

The problem is that the general public demands 24/7 television on virtually every channel. Inevitably something has to give and that's usually quality.
 Which smaller TV? - Roger.
Our 5 or 6 year old 32" Panasonic is developing a nasty brown shadow on the screen. It's not central, so is still watchable, but I guess it's on its way out, what do you all think?
We bought it in Spain and the blooming thing cost us over a thousand euros: now the nearest HD ready is under £300, with fill HD just over that.
With our small room I think the biggest screen we could tolerate would be 40" or so.
Full HD, smart internet ability, at least two scart sockets (one for the SKY box & one to run my wireless headphones as HDMI input, at least on this model, cuts out digital sound).
3D not needed!
Ideally, a replacement should have an audio out plug which does not cut off the TV speakers, as then only one SCART input would be needed.
Any suggestions as to makes/models I should be looking at?
 Which smaller TV? - henry k
>>Ideally, a replacement should have an audio out plug which does not cut off the >>TV speakers, as then only one SCART input would be needed.
>>
Our two Panasonics have two SCARTS and a Sat tuner each .
Friends bough the replacement model and it had no Sat tuner, one SCART socket but two Scarts on the on screen menu.
Do they still have Scarts?
 Which smaller TV? - Dog
>>With our small room I think the biggest screen we could tolerate would be 40" or so<<

Our 42" Pana is in a small lounge Dodger, doesn't look too big or out of place though and glad we got it.
 Which smaller TV? - Dutchie
Ours is a 32inch screen telly Toshiba.Got me thinking now a good buy the Philips and the gurantee.We got the 5 year warranty from John Lewis.I agree Dog big television small room looks daft.
 Which smaller TV? - Dog
>>Dog big television small room looks daft<<

Like me then Dutchie.

^_^
 Which smaller TV? - Clk Sec
When we had our 42in Panasonic delivered it looked gigantic because it replaced a 28in, but we soon got used to it. Now it looks small enough to be replaced by a 50in.
 Which smaller TV? - Dutchie
Good point Clk.Our television stars looking smaller.Maybe a 50 inch would fit.>;)
As long as you can get it through the door:)
 Which smaller TV? - -
Yep, we're in two minds that maybe we should have increased the budget slightly and gone for a 55", where do you stop.

Anyway, just to let you know the Philips 50" is working very well, its reasonably simple to use considering its only been about 3 days, picture very clear, so far extremely pleased with the upgrade.

About half the weight of the Sony 40", which now sits in our bedroom and is just about the perfect size there.

The 28" Toshiba CRT that was our bedroom jobbie is being collected tomorrow via Freecycle, that has been a good long term TV, never had a moments problem with it, but the picture quality compared to the new sets is a world apart.

edit, oh and the £4 Optical Digital lead from ebay turned up and works fine, Maplins and Know It All/PC World don't need to worry about having their doorsteps darkened by me again, i'm finished with the likes of them.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 5 Feb 13 at 20:32
 Which smaller TV? - Zero
>> Yep, we're in two minds that maybe we should have increased the budget slightly and
>> gone for a 55", where do you stop.
>
If you live in a pub or concert hall, fine, but a 55 incher? in a house? I always thought truckers were blind.

I could never accept a TV dominating an average UK room like that,
>> If you live in a pub or concert hall, fine, but a 55 incher? in
>> a house?
>> I could never accept a TV dominating an average UK room like that,

That's exactly what Mrs CS says, and that's why we'll never have a telly bigger than the 42in we have now!
 Which smaller TV? - Bromptonaut

Me neither. Ours is a Sharp, about 22", and sits on the shelving unit. We can all four see it across the room.

Why bigger?
 Which smaller TV? - Dog
>>Why bigger?

I used to think like that when we moved to Truro over 6 years ago, I used to see the BIG tellies when walking through a new Persimmons estate after dark with Mutley and seeing all the TV's lighting up the lounge if the curtains weren't drawn.

Having bought a 42 incher, we're more than pleased with it, and it certainly doesn't dominate our room.

My PC monitor is a 22 incher, I can (at age 60) sit 4ft from the screen and read anything and everything - without requiring specs - unlike when I use the ole woman's notebook!
 Which smaller TV? - No FM2R
>>I could never accept a TV dominating an average UK room like that,

I don't know about "dominating", but in the UK we have a 48" in the family dining room and a 50" in the sitting room. Whilst the one in our bedroom is a reasonable 36", the children both have 42" in their bedrooms.

Rather than saying any room was "dominated", I'd say that people are less likely to cluster around the television since it is pleasantly viewable from anywhere within the rooms.

Quite unlike the days of CRT TV's where a 50" would have need about an acre of space. Ours are mostly hung on walls and take up negligible room.

Conversely I think the one in the kitchen is only about 18/19" and its a pain because you need to be close to it.

It is different in Chile because generally the rooms are much bigger and its not that usual to have a TV in the living room. Usually just in bedrooms. Ditto Brazil.

Its not that I watch that much TV, but when I do watch it I want it to be good.
p.s. and I'm currently dedicating my life to beating Number 1 daughter at Halo 4, and that is just better on bigger televisions.

I'm losing though.
 Which smaller TV? - Zero
beaten by a girl? yeah figures. I bet you cant throw properly either.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 5 Feb 13 at 21:00
>>beaten by a girl? yeah figures

Pretty much what the child says as well.
 Which smaller TV? - Zero
L
for leather?
 Which smaller TV? - Zero
errrr, Nooo.
....that well known Prehistoric bird the Oser?
 Which smaller TV? - Zero
>> ....that well known Prehistoric bird the Oser?

thats the tweetie...
 Which smaller TV? - -
>>

Its not an average room.

by the way i'm a lorry driver as i'm British/Irish, if i was a yank i'd be a trucker.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 5 Feb 13 at 21:10
>>by the way i'm a lorry driver as i'm British/Irish, if i was a yank i'd be a trucker.

Ahem.

britishtruckers.com/
www.britishtruckersabroad.com/
www.truckersworld.co.uk/
www.trucknetuk.com
www.truckbuddies.com
www.unitedtruckers.co.uk
www.uk250.co.uk/Truckers/

But what do I know..........
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 5 Feb 13 at 21:22
www.which.co.uk/technology/tv-and-dvd/guides/what-size-tv-should-i-buy/
 Which smaller TV? - Runfer D'Hills
We have several tellys. I don't seem to get to watch any of them very much though despite having paid for all of them.
 Which smaller TV? - Zero
Must be cold in that shed of yours.....
 Which smaller TV? - Runfer D'Hills
Haven't been down to that part of the D'Bout estate for some time come to think. It's unlit twixt here and there and one can't always be sure of where the dog has left his latest calling cards...
 Which smaller TV? - legacylad
For some of us a 50" screen is mandatory. What with the size of one's Drawing Room, and the ample space required by house guests reclining on their chaise longue, with attendant drinks trolleys, anything smaller would be so, well, ...
>>What with the size of one's Drawing Room

You have just *one* television in the drawing room? Can people still see it from all of the snooker tables down at the other end?
 Which smaller TV? - Zero
>> >>What with the size of one's Drawing Room
>>
>> You have just *one* television in the drawing room? Can people still see it from
>> all of the snooker tables down at the other end?

The bar is in the way.
>>The bar is in the way.

Which one?
The Islay malt bar
As for that oversized humidor
>>As for that oversized humidor

I hardly think its oversized, its only got a small kitchen and one of the bathrooms is positively tiny.
Oh, that one. No, I prefer either the Real Ale bar with the rugger lads or over at the Pimms bar with the Tennis Club.

I never use the other four, they're more or less staff only.
 Which smaller TV? - Zero
Does the pole and dancer intrude much?
Only when she leans over to one side.
 Do I really need a smart or 3D TV? - Roger.
Well, now having got a Humax Foxsat HD PVR with the capability to receive BBC iPlayer and ITV player, the question arises - do I need a "smart" TV?
Come to that, do I need 3D either?
As far a 3D is concerned I cannot find any Freesat broadcast content, or any in the immediate pipeline, so why bother? I realise that a 3D BluRay player would provide the 3D experience, but I cannot see me actually buying BluRay discs. Apart from that SWMBO has a duff eye, which would probably negate any 3D effects.
Streaming content other than the free stuff? Netflix & LoveFilm and the like have so far not had any content I would want to see.
As far as I can see most modern LED TVs of any quality come with 3D & "smarts" built in.
With the slimmest surrounds now available, mostly Samsung it seems, we could go to a maximum screen size of 37"
I would like a decent refresh, or motion, rate and would really prefer a stylish looking set, as SWMBO is still being worked on to give the OK to spend some more dosh!
Has anyone here have ideas or recommendations?
 Do I really need a smart or 3D TV? - -
We didn't go for 3D, i too have one gammy eye (yeah i know lorry drivers..;) and SWM not bothered either.

If your Freesat box brings in all the channels you want then you might just as well save some money on the TV, or you're duplicating things.
However you can find a smart TV for not much more than a normal jobbie then it'll always be a good back up should the Humax throw a wobbly.

This looks a bit of a bargain and John Lewis' proper warranty to boot, looking there they have some quite cheap 32" non smart TV's if 720p would be good enough, around the £280 mark incl warranty.

www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-l37e5b-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-37-inch-with-freeview-hd/p231546906
 Do I really need a smart or 3D TV? - Focusless
>> www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-l37e5b-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-37-inch-with-freeview-hd/p231546906

We've got one of those, purchased last year. We're pretty happy with it now, but with reservations - you have to leave it on its 'true cinema' colour setting which just displays the picture with no modification, otherwise it can go a bit funny in dark scenes. Might not seem like a hardship but not everyone likes the 'straight' picture (looks fine to us).

Also we had a lot of trouble with the sound sync on HD channels originally - the sound would lag behind the picture quite noticeably. However, relatively recently I found a setting in our home cinema system which I suspect was the culprit and it's a lot better, although I'm still not totally convinced it's perfect, unlike on the non-HD channels.

Oh and the receiver packed in once - could only display pictures picked up on another source eg. the freeview recorder. It had to be taken away by PC World/Currys to be repaired under warranty.

EDIT: would be tempted to try a Samsung next time
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 21 Feb 13 at 17:41
 Do I really need a smart or 3D TV? - Zero
do you need a 3d tv? No

do you need a smart tv? no the humax portal gives you the smart portal.

As far as you can see most modern LEDs are 3D? - again no, simply not the case. Plenty of non 3d choice around.
Oh well - John Lewis have relieved us (actually our 0% intro credit card) of a wodge today.
Finally, we settled on a Samsung UE40ES6710 LED, 3D,built in Wi-Fi etc., etc., smart TV!
Yes - after all our protestations, SWMBO fell in love with the cool white frame and found that 3D DID work for her.
Having visited our local Curry's and been completely ignored by a gaggle of oikish staff, yattering to each other around the pay desk, it was a pleasure to be helped by a very nice young man in JL and to be treated properly.
 Do I really need a smart or 3D TV? - rtj70
Roger, just curious what 3D media source are you going to use on your 3D telly. I know you're not likely to have Sky 3D for sport etc. So I am guessing you have a Blueray player of some sort? 3D is just a gimmick to me - not a lot of programmes are going to be 3D.
TBH, 3D was not a "must have" at all. It came with the specification and presently I doubt we will have much use for it.Higher in the buying decision was the wi-fi built in (no dongle to buy at silly money), so we can share content from our laptops, a decent refresh rate of 400Hz and the TV's physical appearance.
My style GURU loved it and she approved the extra cost over other similarly sized TVs.
 Do I really need a smart or 3D TV? - Dog
Looks like a nice telly Dodger, good reviews too: www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-40-inch-UE40ES6710-Widescreen-Built/dp/B007JURGNI

Ideal for watching the result of the Eastleigh by-election I would have thought.

:}
 Do I really need a smart or 3D TV? - Stuartli
>> Ideal for watching the result of the Eastleigh by-election I would have thought.>>

Try:

www.tvcatchup.com/

on your Smart Phone or computer...:-)
 Do I really need a smart or 3D TV? - Dog
Mmmm, I've never heard of tv ketchup before ;-)
 Do I really need a smart or 3D TV? - henry k
>>SWMBO fell in love with the cool white frame
>>
We were swayed ( in addition to the unusually great spec ) by a swivel stand and a very unusual gunmetal surround on our Panasonic. The surround is very cleverly finished. It looks as if it has a contoured shape. Only when you are a foot away from it do you realise it is very clever blended spraying that fools the eye.
 Which 3D BluRay player? - Roger.
With our new TV arriving on Tuesday next, I (not WE at this stage!) am considering twisting Madam's arm to buy a 3D capable BluRay player to replace our old Panny, combined DVD and VHS Tape, player/recorder.
I assume that as we will have a smart TV + the internet connected Humax, that it would be a waste to have a smart BluRay player?
Our TV will be a Samsung and a Samsung player would seem to make sense to stick with the brand.
Most "Which" reviews seem to concentrate on the high end and therefore expensive, machines.
Has anyone any recommendations about brand or model which should meet our needs, without spending a shed load of money?
 Which 3D BluRay player? - Crankcase
When it comes to gadgetry, for me it's software that sells hardware. So I tend to buy a games console to play a given title, for example, not the other way round.

In your case, I'd be looking to see if there are actually any 3D blue ray discs I'd want to see before investing! I don't have one but a colleague ran out of steam after seeing Avatar. Couldn't find much else he wanted to see.

Which 3D BluRay player? - zookeeper
i sort of know what your mean oilbag...theres so many formats these days.. i was shunned from the pub in the late 70s for taking the betamax option..i still have the mental scars... and ahem the cassettes
 Which 3D BluRay player? - Zero

>> Has anyone any recommendations about brand or model which should meet our needs, without spending
>> a shed load of money?

Has it occured to you you will need to spend money on the media?

Thats going to be nasty shock for you.
 Which 3D BluRay player? - zookeeper
im sticking with PC... its so durable
 Which 3D BluRay player? - rtj70
I hope Roger has not assumed a 3D telly just needs a Bluray player to play any old disk in 3D. And that you actually need 3D media which is going to cost...?
>> I hope Roger has not assumed a 3D telly just needs a Bluray player to
>> play any old disk in 3D. And that you actually need 3D media which is
>> going to cost...?
.............................a blooming fortune!
A reprieve for the old Panasonic looms! There is one scart connection on the telly, so that will do!
Over twenty notes for a film to be watched once, or perhaps twice- no way José !
That's four bottles of this:-

i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/penfro/Wine_zpsd15045d4.png

Very nice it is!
>>>> going to cost...?
>> .............................a blooming fortune!

So why did you even think about a Bluray player? And couldn't you have got a cheaper TV without some of the bells and whistles?

I thought you were frugal.
>>
>> >> Has anyone any recommendations about brand or model which should meet our needs, without
>> spending
>> >> a shed load of money?
>>
>> Has it occured to you you will need to spend money on the media?
>>
>>
>> Thats going to be nasty shock for you.
>>

Yes.
I had mentioned earlier about what you expected to watch in 3d in terms of source of 3d media. Maybe you got duped like lots I have come across when I've been in certain stores. Looking at 3d content on a TV without someone explaining you need a 3d source for media.

When you think about it, you already knew the media had to have been filmed with two cameras to get the 3d effect. Some TVs simulate 3d apparently but you need a separate camera view for each eye which means it has to be done at production time.

Glad Zero and I have stopped your purchase of a Bluray player if you won't be buying or renting disks :-)
We were not fussed whether or not we had 3D, but the TV we chose had it built in. As I said there were other reasons for choosing the set we did. Samsung do claim (I think) that this model will upscale 2D to 3D, but if true I would not expect too much from it!
I realised that one would need a 3D source and knew there is not much air content yet, with the little there is being, I understand, on SKY. I see SKY are trialling F1 in 3D, but we will not have SKY - after all we've just bought a Humax Freesat HD PVR.
I just thought that if we had a set capable of showing 3D it might be nice to watch some 3D (or even 2D) BluRay content, but the price of the desirable discs is prohibitive at present.
Our new TV is up and running! Very smart in white & glad we chose that option.

I think I might need a degree in IT to fully understand all its features, but one I love is the ability to play laptop content wirelessly on the TV!
The picture, particularly on HD content, is very good.
The paper manual is carp, giving no guidance on setting up preferences on colour shading, brightness, sound & so on. Detailed instructions are, apparently, on screen.
I'll have to wait until SWMBO is in bed before playing with it too much, as she gets irritated with things technical, very easily.

I've had over 40 responses to my Freecycle offer for the old LG flat screen. Many plead poverty, but their emails are suffixed "Sent from my iPhone/ Blackberry HTC/Android phone."
I reckon if they can afford a smart phone they ain't poor!
Last edited by: Roger on Tue 5 Mar 13 at 13:04
 Which 3D BluRay player? - Alanovich
>> Many plead poverty, but their emails are suffixed "Sent from my iPhone/ Blackberry HTC/Android phone."
>> I reckon if they can afford a smart phone they ain't poor!

They will mostly have come by them as freebies with a small pay monthly contract. Not many people pay 4-500 pounds for their smartphone.
 Which 3D BluRay player? - VxFan
>> They will mostly have come by them as freebies with a small pay monthly contract.

The iPhone wouldn't.

>> The iPhone wouldn't.
>>

You can get them free on £25-30 monthly contracts now. My wife nearly did a few weeks ago. But fortunately her self respect instinct kicked in.
 Which 3D BluRay player? - Stuartli
>> You can get them free on £25-30 monthly contracts now. >>

How are they free on a £25-30 monthly contract?

I buy my phones (currently an HTC One X) and opt for the £10 monthly GiffGaff Goodybag which offers 250 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB of data (data used to be unlimited, but too many abused it so now you have to buy the £12 a month Goodybag for the unlimited data). Still stupidly cheap, although not vital if you have access to wi-fi whilst out and about!

>> How are they free on a £25-30 monthly contract?

Don't be daft. You know what is meant by "free" in these circumsstances.
>> You can get them free on £25-30 monthly contracts now.

Which model though, and what storage capacity?
>> Which model though, and what storage capacity?
>>

What is the point of this question? I merely said that someone sending an email "from an iPhone" does not mean they are loaded financially. Why are you pursuing this to the point of childishness?
>> What is the point of this question? I merely said that someone sending an email
>> "from an iPhone" does not mean they are loaded financially.

No you didn't.

>> Why are you pursuing this to the point of childishness?

Huh? I'm just trying to have a discussion with you as anyone would do down the pub etc when talking about phones, but you're not willing to discuss it further, or answer the question.

Instead you resort to calling people childish when you don't know what you're talking about.

No phone is "free" when it's part of a contract. You're basically buying it on a hire/purchase agreement over the length of the contract. Hence why PAYG or SIM only tarriffs are cheaper because the phone is already paid for.

>> No you didn't.

Erm, I said: "They will mostly have come by them as freebies with a small pay monthly contract. Not many people pay 4-500 pounds for their smartphone. " Which is the same thing.

>> Huh? I'm just trying to have a discussion with you as anyone would do down
>> the pub etc when talking about phones, but you're not willing to discuss it further,
>> or answer the question.

I can't answer the question as I don't know a thing about iPhones, apart from the fact you can get one for "free" (I know what that means in this context, I'm not daft) on a reasonably cheap contract. Which is all I was trying to say in the first place, in response to Roger's somewhat odd implication that anyone using an iPhone is automatically undeserving of his fabulous largesse in giving away his old TV.

Apologies if I misread your questioning, it appeared to me your were trying to contradict and argue, rather than engage in a sensible discussion. Perils of the internet as usual.
To get an iPhone 5 for 'free' as you say, the monthly cost is going to be around £33 or thereabouts. I'd not call that particularly cheap. But then buying the phone sim free is about £500 for a 16GB model. You'd get an iPhone 4S 8GB from about £25 but that's not much storage.
 Which 3D BluRay player? - nice but dim
Storage for what though, I have a couple of albums of songs + maybe 100 or so photos (200mb in total) which I archive off to something safer - I never leave on the phone in case it gets broken, lost or stolen.

Anyone who uses their phone as their main storage library IMO is asking for trouble.
I have a few movies on mine for a holiday and I keep a fair percentage of my music on there too. It all adds up. But mine is a 32GB Android phone. It doesn't have all 32GB available for storage. Obviously this isn't the only place those files are held.

But my music wouldn't fit on an 8GB iPhone. And movies stored as 720P video takes up a reasonable amount of space too.
 Which 3D BluRay player? - Zero
I have on my phone, stuff I need mobile at that time*

I dont need all my music on the phone all the time, pictures are only there if they have been recently taken, or to show someone else. Video? you watch it once so you dump it.

The more memory you have, the more needless crap you have, making the stuff you want harder to find.

*going to marakech next week. The phone will have no photos, about 20 hours of video to watch, some ebooks, french translation tools and dictionary, and the best most detailed map of marakech i can find.

My point was really that some emails asking for the TV harped on about how poor the sender was, in a pretty obvious attempt to gain the sympathy choice. When that was combined with the "sent from....." message, it seemed to me that a certain dichotomy was present.
A straightforward request for an item is much more acceptable, in my view.
By the way, "largesse", in this context is surely used in a pejorative way, implying that I felt virtuous in Freecycling the TV to a "poor person".
I actually couldn't give a toss whether the recipient was poor or not, merely that an honest reply and quick collection were important.
In the event, all 40 (!) names were entered into the draw and our old TV has gone
to its new home.
 Which 3D BluRay player? - Manatee
>> I've had over 40 responses to my Freecycle offer for the old LG flat screen.
>> Many plead poverty, but their emails are suffixed "Sent from my iPhone/ Blackberry HTC/Android phone."

I always remove that when I add my name and phone number as a signature, it looks so poncy and it's wasted space. I don't think any of my regular correspondents keep it either.

Bet they all have nonsensical hotmail addresses too.

Try the old folks bunglyholes. Might find a genuine recipient. A lot of those respondents probably want to flog it on ebay or are car booters.
 Which 3D BluRay player? - Dog
>>it looks so poncy

Agreed, whenever I receive such, I put at the bottom of the reply sent from my PC.

:+)
Sods's Law rules!

The DVD playing element of our DVD/VCR player/recorder has packed up!

The VCR plays OK on our TV, so it's not connectivity problems.

...............and now I can run my wireless headphones from the TV without cutting out the sound for 'er indoors!
The TV comes with a digital audio out socket, so with a digital optical coaxial toslink to analogue RCA audio converter from Amazon for £12.93, inc. postage and a 1 Metre toslink cable, also from Amazon for an all in £2.10, I have an input for the white & red plugs supplying my headphones. Total cost £15.03.
It works and I can now stream video content wirelessly from my laptop AND hear the sound!
Last edited by: Roger on Thu 7 Mar 13 at 14:07
Latest Forum Posts