Non-motoring > Who has stiil got a black & white TV set ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 15

Who has stiil got a black & white TV set ? - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20957218
 Who has stiil got a black & white TV set ? - Bromptonaut
Not seen one since the eighties.

They got an 'owner' on the radio this morning but he turned out to be a collector of old tellies.
 Who has stiil got a black & white TV set ? - Falkirk Bairn
Think about it!

Maybe more B&W Licences than B&W Televisions
 Who has stiil got a black & white TV set ? - Haywain
We've still got a 70s black and white T.V. I think it's a 14" screen; the shell is white plastic that is somewhat yellowed/creamed with age. Our son considers it a work of art and complained bitterly when we threatened to throw it out some years ago. I suspect it will now be kept in the attic for the rest of time.
 Who has stiil got a black & white TV set ? - bathtub tom
Would any B/W be 405 lines only? Haven't 405 line transmissions been stopped?
 Who has stiil got a black & white TV set ? - rtj70
There aren't any analogue transmissions therefore there are no B&W transmissions. Or are some regions still with analogue for now?

Anyway I thought the analogue transmissions used the B&W plus the colour info (encoded with the PAL system) to produce a colour signal... or I might be talking rubbish again. The 405 line transmissions ended in the 80s so B&W sets used the 625 signals.
 Who has stiil got a black & white TV set ? - Mike Hannon
I've got a little monochrome portable in the attic. You could buy them in France about 8 years ago for 20 euros or so and we got it so we could watch F1 when we didn't have any other telly. It also has a built-in FM radio. How cool is that? I guess, if I could be bothered to find out, it would work with a TNT (French Freeview) adaptor.
>> There aren't any analogue transmissions therefore there are no B&W transmissions. Or are some regions
>> still with analogue for now?

The last analogue transmitter was turned off last year. The digital signal can still be used provided the set top box can be connected. Unless the old B&W set has a Scart connecter the STB needs to be one with a modulator to provide an RF output like the video recorders of old. I don't know about current availability but at one time we had an OnDigital box (Thomson I think) which had a modulator which could be turned on and off in firmware.

The VHF/405 line service was turned off in 1984ish which marked the end of B&W only transmission - UHF/625 line sets simply render the colour signal in mono.

The collector interviewed on 5Live around 07:55 this morning referred to a STB type device that converted UHF/625 to VHF/405.
 Who has stiil got a black & white TV set ? - Fursty Ferret
If the only way to watch live TV with a black and white set is to connect it to a set top box, doesn't that mean that a colour license must be used? Thinking back to video recorder days here...
 Who has stiil got a black & white TV set ? - ToMoCo
I think you're right. It's a receiving licence, not a viewing license.
 Who has stiil got a black & white TV set ? - VxFan
>> If the only way to watch live TV with a black and white set is
>> to connect it to a set top box, doesn't that mean that a colour license
>> must be used? Thinking back to video recorder days here...

But a set top box isn't a recording device though, unless it's a PDR.
Yes, it's capable of receiving colour images, but you're not storing them.
 Who has stiil got a black & white TV set ? - No FM2R
Why is its recording ability, or lack thereof, relevant?
The aerial lead is still delivering the colour signal, regardless whether the TV is B/W or colour. The set top box therefore is still receiving the same signal. I would guess the same rules apply if it's a B/W TV or set top box. What you're watching the signal on is a B/W receiver.

However, with a VCR / PDR the colour signal can be recorded and played on a colour monitor at a later date. Can't do that with a set top box.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 10 Jan 13 at 13:32
>> Why is its recording ability, or lack thereof, relevant?

IIRC a colour licence is required for equipment capable of displaying or recording a colour picture.
www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/understanding-your-tv-licence-top3/

A black and white TV Licence does not cover the use of colour TV receiving equipment, such as a digital box.

The only exception is if it's only used with a black and white TV set and the equipment can’t record TV.
 Who has stiil got a black & white TV set ? - rtj70
I wonder why the B&W licence is still about £100 cheaper. You can watch all the same programmes just without the colour. Rip-off ;-)
Latest Forum Posts