Non-motoring > Cinema prices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 22

Cinema prices - Crankcase
We very rarely go to the cinema, and I bet lots of you lot don't either.

But occasionally there's something we fancy - perhaps once a year or so.

So last night we thought we'd get tickets to see Life of Pi. We thought we'd see it in 3D. Just at one of the local cinemas. And we thought we'd pick the slightly bigger fancy seats.

Two people. Care to guess the cost?

We've put the idea on hold for a bit while we think about it.
 Cinema prices - Zero
£28.50 for the pair, 31 quid if you pre book by card.

DONT see life of Pi in 3D. 2D will be cheaper and better.
 Cinema prices - Ted

£30 for the 4 of us last week when we saw Quartet at the Lowry. Hopefully the same on Wednesday when we go to Mis Les.

Nice meal after at the Harvester in the same building.

Ted
Well, I shouldn't have made it a silly guessing game. Yes, £30.

It all feels like a significant chunk of cash for the experience to be honest.
 Cinema prices - Haywain
Last week, my wife and I went to our local cinema for 'Quartet' - it cost £4.50 each. On Thursday, we are booked to see Les Mis; that one'll be free as we have opted to use some of our free ticket allocation.

We are 'Picture House' members and, for us, membership is working out to be a very good deal.
 Cinema prices - CGNorwich
Seems a lot - Norwich Vue multiplex charges £8.40 for adult peak times (£6.25 if over 60).

Other Norwich cinemas have similar prices.

Not sure I agree about Life of Pi 3d. I thought it about the only film I have seen where the 3d actually added something (apart from that Herzog documentary about the cave paintings - I can't remember the name).
 Cinema prices - rtj70
We try to support our local independent cinema - or we might lose it like they threaten every now and then. Screen not as large, an old style sound system but adequate and obviously no 3D... And when we saw the Hobbit the other week it had a quaint interval so they could swap the reels over (only one projector).

How much for two at the local cinema? £9.80. Less for children and OAPs. So £4.90 is a lot cheaper per person!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 10:43
We were members of the local Picturehouse but we didn't really get the value from it. Last year we discovered we didn't even use the six "free" tickets you get, so this year we dropped the £60 subscription.

Maybe I need to do the maths again. But the Picturehouse doesn't show the right films at the right times for us, mostly, so it's not that obvious. We keep seeing something brilliant, and then it's on at 4:30pm on a Monday afternoon or something mad.
At the end of the day though a night out for two for under £20 to see a decent film in a modern cinema isn't too bad. What other night out will be cheaper? With a pint of beer soaring towards the £4 mark and a reasonable restaurant meal costing north of £40 for two in comparison the cinema is still a reasonable night out.
 Cinema prices - DP
SWMBO can purchase Vue cinema vouchers through her employer for £4 each, which we take fairly regular advantage of. We saw 'The Impossible' on Saturday, for example.

Full price cinema tickets are extortionately priced.
 Cinema prices - FocalPoint
The Empire, Hemel Hempstead (ten minutes' walk) is showing Life of Pi in 2D this Tuesday for £3.95.

No special scheme, membership etc - that's the price for everything on Tuesdays.

It may say a great deal about life in HH.

Too busy to go, but not bothered about seeing this film anyway.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 11:14
 Cinema prices - Haywain
Sorry to hear that Picture House membership didn't work out for you, Crankcase. We have an advantage in living about about a mile and a half from our cinema, so we can nip down town, park for free and be in the building in about 10 minutes. We try and hold our free tickets 'in the scrum' and wait to use them when we need to go at a more expensive time or when there's a 3D film on; the free tickets alone almost pay for membership. We also get £2 off per ticket and there's no charge for on-line pre-booking. There's also a free members preview on a Sunday morning every 6 weeks or so when we've seen e.g. King's Speech, Drive, Argo etc.

There are 2 cinemas in town and it's amusing that there's a very distinct age division - the over 50s and the under 50s who attend respective venues. I'm with the oldies who try to avoid the newer popcorn palace. I understand that Cineworld has now taken over Picture Houses, so I hope the format doesn't change.
 Cinema prices - Focusless
>> DONT see life of Pi in 3D. 2D will be cheaper and better.

Cheaper yes, but the 3D is supposed to be better than most:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_of_Pi_(film)#Critical_reception
 Cinema prices - lancara
Put in the context of paying arsenal £62 for 1.5 hours entertainment (and losing), they all seem remarkably good value
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 12:29
 Cinema prices - Zero
>> Put in the context of paying arsenal £62 for 1.5 hours entertainment

Entertainment? at arsenal? Nah.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 12:29
 Cinema prices - Alanovich
Don't you just love "Big Club" fans complaining about getting beat. Don't know they're born. Try losing to Hayes in the FA Cup.
 Cinema prices - legacylad
Saw Life of Pi last sunday in 2D. £11 for 2 tickets, even cheaper on Orange weds. Not impressed with the film. Style over substance. Looking forward to Tarantino's Django next week.
 Cinema prices - Bromptonaut
Mrs B and I both want to see the Lincoln film.

Suspect we'll end up seeing Les Mis too. A FB friend reports very favourably on seeing it at the I Max.
 Cinema prices - Zero
I guess Lincoln will wipe the board at the Oscars, not through any kinematic merit, but because its Abe.
So do the bookies:

Current odds for best film

Lincoln
1/3

Argo
28/5

Les Miserables

Life of Pi

Silver Linings Playbook

Cinema prices - Ambo
£4.50 for today's Les Mis, plus £1.30 online booking fee. 3D didn't work for me on Alice in Wonderland, except for the final shot of a bird apparently flying out of the screen.
 Cinema prices - Harleyman
>> Put in the context of paying arsenal £62 for 1.5 hours entertainment (and losing), they
>> all seem remarkably good value
>>

A worthy joke to lighten the thread.....

Two old boys discussing football. One says he just paid a hundred quid to watch the FA Cup final. The other says he could buy a high-class hooker for that kind of money.

"Maybe", says the first, "But you don't get 45 minutes each way and a brass band at half time"
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 29 Jan 13 at 00:51
 Cinema prices - R.P.
Went to see Lincoln the other night - thought it might be overlong at 2.5 hours - the time flew - a tour-de-force of the filmaker's art - cracking acting from Mr Day-Lewis and Lee-Jones - lot of it was "office based" but none the worse for it. A well made respectful film - what a man Lincoln was eh ? Shame that modern Presidents can't come anywhere close to him. A local touch on post-film research was Lincoln (and the more contentious Jefferson Davis' heritage) Welsh connections. The Washington memorial contains the engraving : "Fy iaith, fy ngwlad, fy nghenedl Cymru – Cymru am byth ..." My Language, my country, my nation Wales - Wales Forever" his maternal grandparents were from the Conwy Valley apparently.
Latest Forum Posts