Non-motoring > Weather Thread vol 5.   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 99

Weather Thread vol 5. - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 6 *****

More weather related tales/observations.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 26 Jan 13 at 16:03

Weather Thread Vol 4. - Runfer D'Hills
Gotta go to Somerset at Stupid O'clock in the morning. Anyone down that way who could give a road report?

Weather related thread volume 5. - Duncan

Hump

My friend can help

www.trafficengland.com/index.aspx?ct=true

Weather related thread volume 5. - Meldrew
Have a look at tinyurl.com/bcsjclc And this, specific almost traffic info. In fact google for "bbc news + County name" and you will get a written report and a map with marked problems and incidents
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sun 20 Jan 13 at 18:14

Weather related thread volume 5. - Runfer D'Hills
Thanks both.

Weather related thread volume 5. - Robin O'Reliant
It was clear enough down here today to give the Kawasaki a quick blast, only about 15 miles up and down the A40 as I didn't want to chance the odd patch of ice but it was good to get out and clear the cobwebs away. The weather has been so bad with the rain and now snow that I've only done 125 miles since I got it Mot'd at the beginning of November but it's starting to run really well since loosening up after three years of storage.

Roll on the better weather so i can start to feel like a biker again.

Weather related thread volume 5. - R.P.
Saw a little Honda step-through being ridden in the village this morning. Bearing L plates, I felt moved to comment that the biker hadn't passed his bike test but certainly the biker test. Tres impressive.

Weather related thread volume 5. - BobbyG
Think Braemar has some snow
www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/webcams/braemar.asp

Weather related thread volume 5. - R.P.
"Works best with a PC" Well you'd think they'd be optimised for Macs given their Scottish !

Weather Thread vol 5. - Dog
Eh, bit icy here today, no ones been up nor down my lane this morning, so I'm going to try it at 10.00am:

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/8405226970/

:}

Weather Thread vol 5. - Focusless
I reckon with a short run-up you could slide all the way down to that gate Dog. Let us know how you get on :)

Weather Thread vol 5. - Zero
>> I reckon with a short run-up you could slide all the way down to that
>> gate Dog.

No run up required I think.

Weather Thread vol 5. - Bromptonaut
Today is my first in London since snow.

Journney to station fraught - first mile or so ungritted and after the overnight freeze up was sheet ice. Once on the treated section OK.

Central London obviously copped a load over the weekend, some cars in residents bays still covered. Most roads OK but pavements and a cycle tracks treacherous. Colleagues complainig of difficulty in getting to bus stop/station in the southern 'burbs.

Tweo lucky colleagues supposed to be off to Cardiff today for a meeting tomorrow morning. SE Wales was reported to be copping a further fall this morning.

Weather Thread vol 5. - madf
Tried a pair of ice grippers on my shoes today as we had -5C yesterday after a little thaw. Rubber platform with 8 simple screws with blunt points.. fits over shoes. Did ok in my 3 mile walk over ice/snow and bare roads/pavements.

For £3.99 they will last 3-4 years of light use.

Weather Thread vol 5. - Robin O'Reliant
>> Tried a pair of ice grippers on my shoes today as we had -5C yesterday
>> after a little thaw. Rubber platform with 8 simple screws with blunt points.. fits over
>> shoes. Did ok in my 3 mile walk over ice/snow and bare roads/pavements.
>>
>> For £3.99 they will last 3-4 years of light use.
>>
>>
Delivered loads of them to customers this winter. I'm trying to persuade the firm to feature snow socks (car tyre, not foot) in next winters line-up.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Tue 22 Jan 13 at 11:33

Weather Thread vol 5. - BobbyG
RR are you a betterware man????

>> RR are you a betterware man????
>>

Rep for a huge chunk of west Wales.

Weather Thread vol 5. - rtj70
So how do you tell someone to not drop off the 'catalogue'. And do you expect them back even if one does not order anything? Ours usually ends up in recycling.

>> So how do you tell someone to not drop off the 'catalogue'. And do you
>> expect them back even if one does not order anything? Ours usually ends up in
>> recycling.
>>
If you don't want a catalogue then leave it out on collection day with an attached note and you should not be bothered again. Your rep will not want to waste his or her time any more than yours.

Tried that and it didn't work. Also sometimes they don't collect them and they get soggy in the rain (despite being in plastic). Sounds like they should realise I don't want to catalogue but are persistent.

Thanks for answering RR

>>I reckon with a short run-up you could slide all the way down to that gate Dog<<

I went up the other way in the end, warmed the Lancer up first, stuck it in 2nd (Tiptronic) and left the rest to the Nokian tyres.

No problem at all - until I got to the top of the hill / T junction, applied the brakes, and the car just kept going.

Could have been dodgy because the fasties hammer along that road, so I gave the steering wheel full left lock,
car still kept going straight though but, stopped just-in-time.

I'll leave the brakes at home in future if I see icy!

Weather Thread vol 5. - Alanovich
>> stuck
>> it in 2nd (Tiptronic)

Do you mean that your gearbox allows you to select 2nd gear from standstill? I don't think my TC autos allow that. I can Select "2" on the shifter, which stops the car from changing up further than second, but I don't think I can select 2nd gear to set off from standstill. How do you do it?

Weather Thread vol 5. - corax
>> >>I reckon with a short run-up you could slide all the way down to that
>> gate Dog<<
>>
>> I'll leave the brakes at home in future if I see icy!

You'd be hard pressed to find any winter tyre bar a studded tyre that is good on ice. My vreds are superb on snow. They just bite and grip. But they struggled a bit on the december bout of snow, where the roads hadn't been gritted and there was compacted ice. Still no problem though, it was more a case of balancing clutch and revs without overdoing it.

>>Do you mean that your gearbox allows you to select 2nd gear from standstill? I don't think my TC autos allow that. I can Select "2" on the shifter, which stops the car from changing up further than second, but I don't think I can select 2nd gear to set off from standstill. How do you do it?<<

Avez vous ever had a car with a Tiptronic (type) gearbox comrade? I can drive it like a clutchless manual so 2nd is 2nd.

It catches me out quite often though, when I forget it's in the manual position - until I hear the engine shouting!

>>You'd be hard pressed to find any winter tyre bar a studded tyre that is good on ice<<

Too true unfortunately, driving on fresh snow is easy with any tyres really, but ice and hills soon wipes the smile orf ones face :)

>> Avez vous ever had a car with a Tiptronic (type) gearbox comrade? I can drive
>> it like a clutchless manual so 2nd is 2nd.
>>
>> It catches me out quite often though, when I forget it's in the manual position
>> - until I hear the engine shouting!
>>

Well, both my Golf and my Galaxy have Tiptronic boxes. But, at standstill, if I move the lever to the manual selection side, I can't change up to second until I've pulled away in first. How does yours do it? I think I remember it being the same when we had a Smart Roadster, and that was a true clutchless manual transmission. The bill to replace the clutch actuator at 21000 miles is still fresh in my memory.

The gearbox on my 2008 Lancer est. is an Invecs 2: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INVECS

If I select the semi-auto mode and then 2nd gear (ratio) it will pull away in 2nd, and stay in 2nd until I either change gear manually, or stick it in D for full auto ... are you with me :)

I'm with you. I didn't know there were any auto(mated) gearboxes which could be used like that. Mine change down whenever they see fit, even if I'm in manual mode. Being a control freak, I don't like that.

Is that gearbox a proper TC then, or an automated manual? Sounds impressive. Pity they didn't mate it to a diesel engine.

Yea! - it's a 'proper' TC slush box, when D is selected, there's a bit here about em:

www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-a6-s6-a7-s7/96566-tiptronic-gearbox-whats-like.html

I would imagine that the gearbox spoken of in your link is the same breed as that in my Golf and VAG/Ford Galaxy.

In my recent search for a diesel auto estate, I considered the A6 but all the adverts I find say "Multitronic", which is completely different and 100% undesirable. Where are all these Audis with Tip autos rather that Multitronics?

>> Where are all these Audis with Tip autos rather that Multitronics?

As you know the multitronic is a CVT gearbox. The Tiptronic ones are in the larger capacity petrol and diesel cars - e.g. 3.0TDi.

Ah ha, I can't afford the 3.0 A6s. Yet. I seem to remember the 2.5s I saw (and discounted) were Multitronic too, but the link Dog provided talks of them being Tip. Maybe I was mistaken. Either way, I'm still not getting a 2.5 for cambelt and other reasons.

Weather Thread vol 5. - Runfer D'Hills
I did 380 odd miles yesterday. Cheshire-Somerset-Cheshire. At no point was there any snow on any roads. Traffic was incredibly light too. Had one of my quickest ever return journeys ( while remaing legal naturally...)

Wonder why all those schools were closed and airports disrupted?

>>but the link Dog provided talks of them being Tip<<

Probably a Multitronic as you say - I'm not into Audi :)

Weather Thread vol 5. - Meldrew
Partner has a 206 auto which has a * snowflake button which, when selected, forces the gearbox to pull away in 2nd.

No, this is Winter - Focusless
Proper Winter weather - average January temp -50C, school only shuts when it drops below -52:
tinyurl.com/bb5odet

No, this is Winter - Alanovich
My eyes! You made me click a Mail link! ARGH!

;-)

They must have gone soft there. When I were a lad, they used to keep the schools open until it hit -60. It's Health and Safety gone mad. -52? Pah.

No, this is Winter - Dog
Ah, but ... June, July and August temperatures over 30c, I wonder what property prices R like 'up there'.

No, this is Winter - R.P.
Returning to normal here today - Beemer for work tomorrow. The roads in the village were glass smooth last night - and the uphill clip from where we live meant only one thing - the Fiesta - cracking little motor for this crap.

No, this is Winter - Runfer D'Hills
Just had a call from a mate who is at this very trying to get from Wells to Bristol over the Mendips. The road is white apparently and something is stuck ahead and uphill of him so he's not moving.

He's in a Mondeo auto estate which is not the worst car for the job but in slight mitigation he has Singalongamax tyres on it.

However, he's also English and therefore doesn't know how to drive in snow...

I'll ring him again later to see if he's still with us !

:-)

No, this is Winter - Zero
6 inches of snow is being dumped on him as we speak.

Oh dear...

No, this is Winter - Armel Coussine
It was walloping down half an hour ago when I was coming back from one of the nearby small towns. But big wet flakes and the temperature 34F, so provided it doesn't clear and freeze hard in the night we are still OK. And so far since its one fall from grace the car has started OK. But if it goes much below zero it may start acting up again. A new battery will very soon be needed in any case.

No, this is Winter - -
Definately Oh Dear, i've got Sth Wales in the morn.

Just seen the BBC Wales Forecast - don't look good - 6 to 10cm on top of existing - and a freeze to follow.

No, this is Winter - -
Thanks RP just what i needed to hear..;)

No, this is Winter - Roger.
+2C here and melting: no snow. North-east Nottinghamshire.

Going to London tomorrow. Thought I'd try one of those train thingies. There'll be other people on it though won't there? :-(

I took one of the Arriva Wales ones to Cardiff before Christmas - one had to share a carriage with people one hadn't been introduced to for goodness sake..

I'm not looking forward to it, I expect some of them will even have regional accents. However, needs must I suppose.

Just don't check their shoes out

I've deliberately booked a table seat to avoid that possibility. If I can't actually see people's bad shoes I won't feel obliged to tell them...

>> I've deliberately booked a table seat to avoid that possibility. If I can't actually see
>> people's bad shoes I won't feel obliged to tell them...

Oh dear, you'll have a man with his flask of bovril next to you then.

No, this is Winter - Manatee
>>Oh dear, you'll have a man with his flask of bovril next to you then.

But if you're very lucky he'll offer you an egg sandwich.

>> >>Oh dear, you'll have a man with his flask of bovril next to you then.
>>
>> But if you're very lucky he'll offer you an egg sandwich.

But if you don't fancy that, then just feel under the edge of the table and you should find some chewing gum there - if you are lucky it might still be moist..

.dup
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 22 Jan 13 at 21:13

Gosh yes, hadn't anticipated that, probably wearing an anorak too...

No, this is Winter - Robin O'Reliant
Someone may start talking to you...

Good Lord, really? I shall feign sleep.

>> Good Lord, really? I shall feign sleep.

If you are lucky, the guy next to you might have one of those bzzz bzz biiiiz eye-pod thingies.

Well, the only consolation is the train I've booked seems to be jolly fast. Just over 1.5 hours to London. Leans into the bends apparently. Must have to employ really fat drivers to get one of those to heel over.

Dont sit by the window then, the guy next to you will slide into you.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 22 Jan 13 at 21:23

No, this is Winter - Dog
>>Dont sit by the window then, the guy next to you will slide into you<<

Yes, it's shocking the things that go on in trains these days, isn't it, wasn't like that in my day you know.

No, this is Winter - Manatee
I'm sure everybody is looking forward to your report on the journey as much as I am. It could be a sociological commentary to rival Orwell's in The Road to Wigan Pier.

No, this is Winter - Kevin
>Just over 1.5 hours to London.

With this kind of snow on the rails?

Maybe you should take a flask of bovril and some sandwiches in case there's a run on the buffet car?

Took my neighbour 8 hours to get back from the smoke on Friday 'cos of the weather - a 3.5hr journey from here

No, this is Winter - Duncan
>> I took one of the Arriva Wales ones to Cardiff before Christmas - one had
>> to share a carriage with people one hadn't been introduced to for goodness sake..
>>

And I'll bet some of them weren't even English!

There is that.

No, this is Winter - smokie
Wokingham - the previous 7" was gradually melting and we've just had about 2" since 6. Working from home again tomorrow :-)

No, this is Winter - Bromptonaut
Significant melt on roads in S Northants during the day. Forecast to catch more overnight tomorrow though. Like Smokie I've booked tomorrow as a WAH day.

Mrs B is working in Aylesbury and as agency work is no show = no pay we're hoping she can get to A5/A43 etc.

Xantia still off road after last week's electrical shenanigans. Looks like a short through chassis or block from main battery feed. Garage have got it to run so no obvious damage to starter or genny. Should get in back tomorrow with new feed fitted.

Did same thing in 2008, also in extreme cold.

>> Wokingham

Oo, you slacker, smokie. Usual run from Caversham to TVP via Shinfield this morning, nae botha pal.

;-)

No, this is Winter - Meldrew
I am just off on a jaunt to Reading from Stamford. East Coast is running OK all the way from Edinburgh, X Country is OK on Brum to Stansted, Underground is OK, South West Trains are OK Waterloo to Reading - what can possible got wrong??!! No snow in Stamford overnight but Mendip Hill took a beating last night - a BEEB camera crew couldn't move after a news item from the top!

Oof, watcha doing going Waterloo to Reading, Melders? It's far quicker from Paddington.

No, this is Winter - AshT
At home today, youngest Ashlette's school closed for the day. Had a text message from the school's automated service at the unprecedented - and antisocial - time of 4:20 this morning.

>> Oof, watcha doing going Waterloo to Reading, Melders? It's far quicker from Paddington.

Cos I bet he is not going to Reading main, but probably one of the stations from Bracknell to Reading.

It's usually still far quicker to go from Paddington and change, in my experience. If you get your timings right. But he did say he's visiting "Reading", so it's a fair assumption that he's heading for Reading station, isn't it? So fair enough to offer advice to a fellow C4per?
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 23 Jan 13 at 10:48

Indeed nothing wrong with you advice, I was merely offering an explanation why he might be doing it a different way to that which you advise.

Sometimes it is Bracknell, sometimes Reading. I have been doing the route twice a month for 3 years and have got into a routine, There are about 5 ways of getting from KX to Waterloo, and I have found one that works best is KX to Picc Circ to change for Waterloo, as one can interchange trains below ground ie not up one escalator and down another plus the fare via Paddington seems to be higher, duration of journey is not a factor for me. Thanks for the comments.

Enjoy your trip to England's very own Shangri-La, Meldrew. The Jewel in Berkshire's ample crown.

Ever tried Stamford to Birmingham, Birmingham to Reading?

That is OK for Reading but is another change and connection for Bracknell - swings and roundabouts!

Burst mains in my area. - henry k
Result is just a dribble out of the kitchen tap.
We have managed to garner some drinking water :-)
BUT 50 gallons in the loft, 100gallons in my nice clean water butts so I could make a profit flogging water for the loos of my combi equiped neighbours :-)

I guess the local Spar is already out of drinking water.

Burst mains in my area. - Zero
Word of advice H? turn off your stop cock till the burst is fixed, then on your cold mains tap (in the kitchen I guess) then the stopcock, cost there will be a lot of crap flushing through your system and you want it straight down the sink, not into your water tank (or gumming up your ballcock)

Burst mains in my area. - henry k
Zero
Thanks for that first class advice.
Unfortunately I am at present in no fit state to get at the stop cock and SWMBO cant do it.
Murphys law ( and his men?) around cos the supply is now back.

By coincidence, a few years ago I had problem with the water supply to the loft tank and after a lot of head scratching I found a small bit of conical shaped grit in the old brass type ball valve restricting the flow. Justs proves to me your advice is most welcome.

Burst mains in my area. - -
Wot happened to the Welsh blizzard, breezed in and out of Sth Wales without coming off the limiter.

Burst mains in my area. - R.P.
According to my niece (Cardiff) and Sister (Swansea) and a client (Waenarlwydd, near Swansea) it's snowing heavily there now - starting to "feather" here as well.

Burst mains in my area. - -
Phew, the luck of the Irish...;)

Burst mains in my area. - R.P.
Weather looks OK for the Chelsea/Swansea game - snowing not sticking. Not sure what they're actually playing probably association football or something.

Friday last minute drift. - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21121138

Friday last minute drift. - Pat
I think I should give you an update on this now.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=12722

Following a weekend of numerous emails containing help and advice from Fullchat the chance to make a voluntary statement of events was taken and duly posted on 14th January.
Yesterday the dreaded envelope arrived and contained the words we hoped for.
‘The explanation received is satisfactory and no further action is to be taken in respect of the notice’
What a relief!
It surprised us both how something like this hangs above like a black cloud and of course, anything which can affect an HGV licence also has the potential to affect a lorry driver’s employment and income as well.
We were encouraged to see name and address details openly given of the complainant as well.
A rather posh address in Iver, Bucks according to Google maps.
I know we’re not the first to receive help from another forum member and I know we won’t be the last, but it certainly warms the cockles of my heart to see it in action.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Fri 25 Jan 13 at 10:01

Friday last minute drift. - -
Thats very good news for both of you Pat, i can well imagine the horrible feelings Mr PDA was going through, a big weight off the shoulders.

Would it be possible without going into any details of this case for either you or FC to remind us all (in simple terms for people like me to grasp) of our reporting responsibilities please, both company and private drivers.
(possible in a new semi legal advice thread?)

We all know in practice that accidents are routinely ignored these days, whereas when we started driving it was easily possible to gain a Driving Without Due Care or worse for the slightest mishap, let alone the possibility of a Failing To Stop/Report.

Goodness knows how plod keeps up with the goalposts..;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 25 Jan 13 at 10:27

Friday last minute drift. - Westpig
If owing to the presence of a motor vehicle on a road an accident occurs, the driver must stop and exchange name and address.

If not, it must be reported to Police as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours.

'Stop' means stop and do what is required, not briefly pull up and then drive off again. Note the 'as soon as practicable' bit i.e you can't automatically wait until near the end of the 24 hours.

One bit most people don't realise is the 'owing to the presence' bit. Your vehicle doesn't actually have to have an accident, it just has to be there and be part of the set up that involves the accident e.g ambulance with sirens on has a car driver panic and have an accident with another car. In that scenario the ambulance, legally, would need to 'stop'.

The whole set up has fallen into a degree of disrepute though and it is well known thst many do not comply. It seems like Mr PDA's scenario has had a degree of common sense applied, although technically he was in the wrong. I suspect reporting it to his HQ went in his favour i.e. no intent to deceive anyone.

Friday last minute drift. - Manatee
That really only leaves the question of who you have to exchange names and addresses with.

I was in one of those accidents on the M1 on a dark windy Friday night when the traffic stops and about 10 cars pile into each other. The one ahead of me hit the one in front of him, I stopped OK without drama before being rear-ended myself. No much damage. I exchanged details with the one who hit me.

I then told him I was off, leaving him to talk to the driver who had rear ended him. He said I should wait for the police so I just told him that lane 3 of the M1, with traffic now whizzing past in lane 2 and on the other carriageway, wasn't a safe place to wait for anything and left.

A couple of weeks later I got a letter from the police asking why I had left the scene of an accident, so I told them the same thing, including the bit about exchanging details, and subsequently received a very similar letter to Ian's.

Friday last minute drift. - Fullchat
I've cut, pasted and done a few alterations to the following rather than just give you the true legal definitions:

An accident is defined as a traffic accident if it occurs on a road or in a place to which the public have access. This can include footpaths and bridleways.

The Road Traffic Act defines a reportable accident as:

Owing to the presence of a motor vehicle on a road an accident occurs whereby:

1. Injury is caused to any person other than the driver of that vehicle

2. Injury is caused to an animal other than an animal in or on that vehicle
(Cattle, Horse, Ass, Mule, Pig, Sheep, Dog, Goat)

3. Damage is caused to a vehicle other than that motor vehicle

4. Damage is caused to any other property or any construction fixed to, growing in, or forming part of land where road is or land adjacent to the road.

Obligations:

A driver involved in a traffic accident should stop whether or not the accident was their fault if:-

1. anyone, other than themselves, is injured; or
2. another vehicle, or someone else’s property, is damaged; or
3. an animal in another vehicle or running across the road is injured; or
4. a bollard, street lamp or other item of street furniture is damaged.

You must stop, you must remain near the vehicle long enough for anyone who is involved directly or indirectly in the accident to ask for details. This could be, for example, the owner of an injured animal, a relative of someone who is injured, or the police. The driver must then give their name and address, the name and address of the owner of the vehicle (if the driver is not the owner), and the registration number of the vehicle.

If none of the above is complied with the driver must report the accident to a police officer or at a police station, in person, as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours. This duty arises whenever the driver has not given their name and address at the scene of the accident, whether or not they were asked to do so.

If any personal injury is caused to another person, the driver must also provide insurance details to the injured person, or anyone else directly or indirectly involved in the accident. If this cannot be done or is not done then the incident should be reported to a police station as soon as practicable, or in any case within 24 hours and the certificate of insurance produced . However if the driver is asked at the time of the accident to produce insurance details and does so, there is no further obligation to report the accident to the police, as long as they have complied with the duties described above.

If damage has been caused to another person or another person's property, you must stop and provide your full details to the injured party/the owner of the damaged property. You must supply your name and address and the name and address of the owner of the vehicle you were using, if it is not your vehicle. If this cannot be done or is not done then there is an obligation to report the matter to the Police "as soon as reasonably practicable" but in any event, within 24 hours.

Many thanks for that FC, clear enough even for me.

There's something missing which i thought was the case but am probably wrong, in the event of a third party in an RTA being injured is it no longer a requirement to call the police?

Just one other thing.

quote..''However if the driver is asked at the time of the accident to produce insurance details and does so, there is no further obligation to report the accident to the police, as long as they have complied with the duties described above.''

Does that mean to produce the phsyical insurance document to an injured party or some other interested party, or would providing the insurance company name and policy number together with the drivers and vehicle owners name and address be enough to satisfy the requirements?

Again, many thanks for the trouble taken.

Thanks also to WP for his condensed version, particularly the practical don't just stop the wheels momentarily and clear off piece, which seems to be the case from what i read with too many these days.

edit.

Mods would it me in all our interests for WP's practical and useful interpretation of that legal accident procedure to be made easily available?
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 25 Jan 13 at 16:09

There was never a requirement to inform the Police of any accident injury or not, as long as the requirements of the act were met i.e. exchange name address, details of the car, insurance etc...this just became almost a custom. As I once described if a driver knocked someone over and killed them as long as he wrote down his details and left it secured to the body the Act would have been complied with. Calling the Police to an injury accident became a custom an habit.

Ah, thanks RP.

Seems the sensible thing to do though in the event of injury.

"There's something missing which i thought was the case but am probably wrong, in the event of a third party in an RTA being injured is it no longer a requirement to call the police?"

As RP says providing insurance details are provided there is no requirement to inform Police.

"Does that mean to produce the physical insurance document to an injured party or some other interested party, or would providing the insurance company name and policy number together with the drivers and vehicle owners name and address be enough to satisfy the requirements?"

Gathering info for my post above I noted that some advised that you would have to produce the certificate. However that is not the case. Insurance provider and policy number would be more than sufficient.

There was a loophole in the legislation whereby in the case of damage only insurance details did not have to be provided making it difficult for the injured party to claim, maybe resulting in a long winded civil claim. Sec 154 of the RTA 1988 plugged the loophole:

Duty to give information as to insurance or security where claim made.(1)A person against whom a claim is made in respect of any such liability as is required to be covered by a policy of insurance under section 145 of this Act must, on demand by or on behalf of the person making the claim—
(a)state whether or not, in respect of that liability—
(i)he was insured by a policy having effect for the purposes of this Part of this Act or had in force a security having effect for those purposes, or
(ii)he would have been so insured or would have had in force such a security if the insurer or, as the case may be, the giver of the security had not avoided or cancelled the policy or security, and
(b)if he was or would have been so insured, or had or would have had in force such a security—
(i)give such particulars with respect to that policy or security as were specified in any certificate of insurance or security delivered in respect of that policy or security, as the case may be, under section 147 of this Act, or
(ii)where no such certificate was delivered under that section, give the following particulars, that is to say, the registration mark or other identifying particulars of the vehicle concerned, the number or other identifying particulars of the insurance policy issued in respect of the vehicle, the name of the insurer and the period of the insurance cover.
(2)If without reasonable excuse, a person fails to comply with the provisions of subsection (1) above, or wilfully makes a false statement in reply to any such demand as is referred to in that subsection, he is guilty of an offence.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 25 Jan 13 at 17:12

Friday last minute drift. - Armel Coussine
Sounds as if it's raining out there. All to the good unless it clears later.

But herself managed to flatten the car's battery when she went to the station to meet someone. It starts well when it's warm so she had probably left the sidelights on as well as listening to the radio. The second damn car I have had to go and rescue today, but in the process drove a young cousin, sort of nephew's, huge 2.2 litre Merc diesel auto estate.

Very nice car I thought, looks a bit rough but drives beautifully in that soft wallowy way. But not even that made up for all the hassle. And tomorrow is Saturday. I will be reluctant to get up in time to get a new battery. Damn!
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 25 Jan 13 at 23:34

A couple of forlon looking snowmen all that's left of the last week's snow pouring with rain and mild here

Snowing really heavy here. Just had to turn out to pick the girls up. Only just managed to get back. Drifting snow on the exposed areas. We're on the start of the Yorkshire Wolds so there are a few hills to negotiate. Think the gritters are leaving it till later.
Oh how I yearn for my old Sorento :(
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 25 Jan 13 at 23:48

Latest Forum Posts