Non-motoring > Anyone been up the Shard yet? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: helicopter Replies: 23

Anyone been up the Shard yet? - helicopter
I have just had an invite to go to a ( very ) posh reception at the top of the Shard ... its in a couple of weeks time on Floors 68 to 72 of what is now Europes highest office block . I'm quite looking forward to it and hope it is a clear evening.

Anyone else been up there yet .... I believe prices start around £25 normally.

Anyone been up the Shard yet? - Zero
I'm waiting for the price to fall.
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - sherlock47
Probably your invitation is the result of some insurance company trying to subtlely educate helicopter drivers as to its existence!
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - Armel Coussine
Perhaps your envious colleagues will hover outside pulling faces and making embarrassing hand signals.
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - Roger.
Twenty five squids - I could (S)hardly afford it.

I'll get my coat!
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - sherlock47
the-shard.com/views/360.html

Impressive views - just a pity that they did not use the super mega-mega pixel camera to allow you to zoom :)
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - Crankcase
I understand a group of psychiatrists went there, but it turned out to be disappointing. I get some pleasure from the knowledge the event was billed as Shard'n'Freud.

Worse than mine!
I see this has quicly descended into the bad pun thread......so I might as well join in...

I'm hoping the entertainment will be by Shard (a)....
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - Meldrew
I think it might be worth it when it is a bit warmer and on a nice blue sky day with very good visibility.
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - movilogo
What if you go on a day with fog/cloud so that can't see anything?

Do you get money back?

If no, hardly makes sense to pre-book it.
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - TeeCee
Do take care not to run into the enarc at the top. ;-)
I just realised that the invite is before before it is open to the general public .

The view is not going to compare with the view from a helicopter of London on a clear day .

Just for comparisonyou can see the top of the Shard on this film at around 3.20

www.youtube.com/watch?v=80xyAv_kpiM
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - Zero

>> The view is not going to compare with the view from a helicopter of London
>> on a clear day .

Except the cranes of course - you cant see those.

(winces)
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - zookeeper
i wonder if the bar stocks shardonnay?
Zookeeper , my invitation is from the UK ambassador of a certain middle eastern country so I think it is unlikely any alcohol will be consumed......
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - Runfer D'Hills
Keep an eye on the canopes.
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - zookeeper
im sure all that no alcohol nonsense goes out the window especially when these guys are dealing bombs and rockets and eurofighters
www.willpearson.co.uk/virtual-tour/shard-360-dusk/
Well last night was the night ..... I am one of the first to experience the fabulous and clear view of London by night from the Shard before it opens to the public.

An interesting experience, lift from ground to 33rd Floor took around 10 seconds .....sharing the lift was Lord ( David ) Steel

Another lift from 33rd to 67 th Floor in another 10 seconds or so arriving with ears popping to where the reception was held to meet the developer and the Ambassador of the Middle eastern country who were our hosts for the night.

Many of the great and good , recognisable faces there from the House of Lords and Commons , Foreign and Commonwealth Office and captains of industry... spotted Keith Vaz and Dame Shirley Williams amongst the crowd also lots photographers , TV and several very watchful solid looking chaps with earpieces talking into their collars.....

I walked up to the 73 rd floor which is open to the elements and last night very windy indeed..... did a bit of filming and then back to the reception .

I took a drink ( juices only ) and some nibbles and listened to some speeches before circulating and chatting to several of the other guests , one very pleasant chap I met turned out to be the chairman of the supermarket chain where SWMBO shops .....

...and the best overheard snippet of conversation of the night ....
'as I said to the crown prince the other day '......

I enjoyed it and I suppose the prices charged equate to what you would pay for the Empire State Building but I do not think I would have bothered had it not been free.

Last edited by: retpocileh on Thu 31 Jan 13 at 08:44
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - VxFan
>> Well last night was the night

Did you try the toilets? ;)

tinyurl.com/agmng8c - Daily Wail (also reported elsewhere)
Ah well ...obviously BBD beat me to it then....

I did not try the toilets.

Maybe once upon a time I would have been up for a kneetrembler in the gents loos with a willing young lady but I am getting far too old for that sort of hanky panky....

....or as they say 'Thongs aint what they used to be'.....

Coat please.....
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - smokie
Was it here I read about this place? Sorry if its a repeat

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204095/Standard-Hotel-Shock-visitors-using-toilet-glass-walls-swanky-Manhattan-hotel-visible-street.html
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 31 Jan 13 at 15:08
 Anyone been up the Shard yet? - Meldrew
The very gifted artist, Stephen Wiltshire, has done a drawing of the view from the top of the Shard. Unusually, he works from memory, without sketches or photographs.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21208113
Latest Forum Posts