Non-motoring > Soggy Flymo Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 14

Soggy Flymo - SteelSpark
I stupidly left our Flymo outside yesterday afternoon and it got caught in a torrential downpour.

I had a look at it today and it seems to be fairly dry inside, but there was some water sitting on ledges within the motor housing (that and the ball that indicates the grass basket is full seems to have expanded to fill its housing).

I am going to leave it a while to dry out, before trying to turn it on, but does anybody have any idea whether it is likely to have suffered any long term damage, or any thoughts on precautions I should take before starting it up again?

Soggy Flymo - Bigtee
Squirt some wd-40 or similar those ones that repell moisture into the motor vents and let it dry then fire the old girl up it will bounce back to life or simply just blow up.!
 Soggy Flymo - SteelSpark
Thanks Bigtee. Will get the wife to fire it up, just in case :)
 Soggy Flymo - Bigtee
lol......................
 Soggy Flymo - helicopter
Should not be a problem IMO - just buy a circuit breaker plug if you have not already got one and wear your thick rubber soled wellies before firing up .......

Look on the bright side - if it does short out I believe spiky sticking up hairdos are all the rage these days.........
 Soggy Flymo - Zero
tape the switch and safety down on the handle, and fire it up from the plug 30 mteres away.
 Soggy Flymo - SteelSpark
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I couldn't find the WD40 and just got a bit impatient so started it up without any precautions (albeit that I do have a circuit breaker when using the lawn mower, and I had left it in the sun for a while to dry out).

All seemed to work fine, I ran it over a patch that I had missed previously and seems to cut fine too. The little yellow ball is still bust, but it never seemed to work properly as an indicator of the grass box being full anyway.
 Soggy Flymo - BiggerBadderDave
Back in 2000-ish, post divorce, I brought a girl back to my place one night, and while I was having a quick gentlemen's wash, she plonked an opened bottle of alcopop on the top of my almost new widescreen telly which she promptly knocked over, spilling the contents into the tv gubbins. Anyhoo, the telly flashed, fizzled and died as you would expect and she was devastated, but (through gritted teeth) I comforted her as best I could. Several times.

Forward a few days and I had called an engineer and arranged to deliver the telly for repair a couple of days later. The evening before I was due to take it, there was a fizzle and a pop and it just sprang to life and apart from a severe ant-infestation problem (which I put down to all the sugar in the drink) it never missed a beat again until recently when it died for good and had to be replaced with a 50" plasma.

As for the girl - I married her and that became our "the night we first did it" story
 Soggy Flymo - R.P.
Dave, the words "ants" and "pants" sprang into my mind - I really need a job.
ants in the banana hammock would be more appropriate for that night...

But it doesn't have the same ring to it, admittedly.
 Soggy Flymo - Zero
you must have been in heaven dave, Beer, sex and tele.
The only thing missing was you
 Soggy Flymo - R.P.
Oh my life !
 Soggy Flymo - MD
Oh! how I laughed. Thought my trousers would never dry!

MD
 Soggy Flymo - SteelSpark
>> As for the girl - I married her

That's a bit harsh, all she did was (temporarily) bust your TV. Did the punishment really fit the crime...did it Dave? :)
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Wed 19 May 10 at 22:31
Latest Forum Posts